F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New Car Ahead of Winter: Good or BAD?
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #67
TMP
Colonel
TMP's Avatar
United Kingdom
60
Rep
2,882
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Righto, the dealer principle responded and got his after sales director to follow up. He seemed a good guy....

They have only had one other case of this so far, and from what they cold see it was a surface layer rust. He said they would order another seat base and treat it - until a BMW fix is released.

He then came back and said the part is on hold on the system, this indicates to him that BMW know of the problem and could be looking to fix. However, they would call up and ask....

He also said BMW would probably issue a fix called 'quality enhancement' which applied whenever the car is next in....ie no urgent recall done Under the radar
__________________
M-Lite v2 & Family 5er v2

Last edited by TMP; 12-17-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #68
Sladester100
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
2
Rep
207
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d ED
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South East England, UK

iTrader: (0)

aha. Good information to know..thank you!
__________________
On order/Its Here! F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #69
RobUK
Major
RobUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,100
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Lux' 8SAT, Red
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sussex, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
He also said BMW would probably issue a fix called 'quality enhancement' which applied whenever the car is next in....ie no urgent recall done Under the radar
Take seat out. Wipe it down. Spray with rust inhibitor. Refit seat.

It's easy for BMW UK to brush off individuals and refer them back to the dealers. Perhaps given that quite a few owners here have the seat problem, a group representation to BMW UK might carry a bit more weight?

My experiences with BMW UK have not be wildly successful. I asked them about the theft issue a while back (BMW's susceptible to being stolen using the key programming technique). Their response was "please contact your dealer or local police for advice on security" ... like they didn't even read my feckin email. I also asked about the availability of an Alpine upgrade for the F30, given my dealer has no idea. BMW's response "We recommend you contact your local BMW Approved Dealer for information on a software upgrade for the sound system".... again, didn't read the question and just gave a bog standard reply
__________________

2012 F30 328i Lux', 8SAT, Melbourne Red
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #70
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
84
Rep
5,338
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Take seat out. Wipe it down. Spray with rust inhibitor. Refit seat.

It's easy for BMW UK to brush off individuals and refer them back to the dealers. Perhaps given that quite a few owners here have the seat problem, a group representation to BMW UK might carry a bit more weight?

My experiences with BMW UK have not be wildly successful. I asked them about the theft issue a while back (BMW's susceptible to being stolen using the key programming technique). Their response was "please contact your dealer or local police for advice on security" ... like they didn't even read my feckin email. I also asked about the availability of an Alpine upgrade for the F30, given my dealer has no idea. BMW's response "We recommend you contact your local BMW Approved Dealer for information on a software upgrade for the sound system".... again, didn't read the question and just gave a bog standard reply
I have had the same response "to start with" when I got a little more "persuasive" things changed, you can not IME tread lightly after initial contact with BMW UK, you have to apply pressure, contrary to what some may think.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #71
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Don't get me wrong. I applied pressure. I just always did it while smiling sweetly
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #72
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
84
Rep
5,338
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I applied pressure. I just always did it while smiling sweetly
Me too.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #73
rich100
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
342
Posts

 
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I had been intending to try to pick up a used F30, perhaps an ex demo or pre reg but am slightly put off now by what I have been reading.

Is it likely that BMW dealers will apply a fix to any used cars they are selling or are they more likely just to bury their head in the sand? I'd never have known about this had I not been following these forums and would suspect that this issue is not known to the majority. On this basis, I wonder if dealers will simply plead ignorance and continue to sell cars without applying a fix. Any thoughts?

Don't particluarly want a rusty car however superficial the rust is deemed to be.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #74
RichardM
Lieutenant Colonel
England
21
Rep
1,584
Posts

 
Drives: F31 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Herts UK

iTrader: (1)

At least with a used car you can check it Rich, if you see any sign of rust you are in a good position to insist on replacement seat bases.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #75
TMP
Colonel
TMP's Avatar
United Kingdom
60
Rep
2,882
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Well my dealer is coating a replacement set of seat bases and fitting them first week in Jan. they will then send the rusty ones off to BMW .

They are treating this set, as not sure if the part has been updated.

Still very very uneasy about this while rust thing!
__________________
M-Lite v2 & Family 5er v2

Last edited by TMP; 12-22-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #76
F30AM
Brigadier General
F30AM's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
4,226
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Well, I'll need a new driver's seat and possibly a front passenger's! They are collapsing!
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #77
TMP
Colonel
TMP's Avatar
United Kingdom
60
Rep
2,882
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Well, I'll need a new driver's seat and possibly a front passenger's! They are collapsing!
What?!
__________________
M-Lite v2 & Family 5er v2
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #78
F30AM
Brigadier General
F30AM's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
4,226
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
What?!
What indeed. The cow hide on the driver's seat base is buggered probably because there is no stuffing underneath. The leather is badly stretched with two deep indentations and that's not because of my posterior! Car is only 2 days old! Needs to be sorted under warranty.

Then, there is the dead second key fob! Been booked-in for Friday for key fob reactivation if it is not faulty.

Bloody Nora, bloody BMW.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #79
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
84
Rep
5,338
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
I had been intending to try to pick up a used F30, perhaps an ex demo or pre reg but am slightly put off now by what I have been reading.

Is it likely that BMW dealers will apply a fix to any used cars they are selling or are they more likely just to bury their head in the sand? I'd never have known about this had I not been following these forums and would suspect that this issue is not known to the majority. On this basis, I wonder if dealers will simply plead ignorance and continue to sell cars without applying a fix. Any thoughts?

Don't particluarly want a rusty car however superficial the rust is deemed to be.
Rich check for these faults "before" parting with your money, they will soon put things right.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #80
rich100
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
342
Posts

 
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Cheers John I will make sure to check for this although I would hope that the dealers would be proactive now that this seems to more than an isolated case.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #81
edz_f31
Second Lieutenant
edz_f31's Avatar
England
3
Rep
260
Posts

 
Drives: F31 320d MSport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cumbria, England

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to get back to the original thread but I'm saying "good" as although it is winter I've got 1000 miles to drive this xmas and the first 300 have been great
__________________
F31 320D M Sport Touring Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST