F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > [Poll] Do you have rusty seat frame bases?
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Do you have rusty seat frame bases or hinges?
Yes, my seat frames are all red. 22 18.97%
Yes, but a few red spots. 44 37.93%
No, mine is clean. 32 27.59%
Don't want to look under the seats. 20 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #45
Ivan Ivanov
New Member
Russian Federation
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: RUSSIA

iTrader: (0)

I think it was a BMW joke (feature, PR) - for the unflagging interest.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #46
325bim
Enlisted Member
325bim's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
46
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phoenix, Az

iTrader: (0)

No rust, jan 2012 build.. Of course this is Arizona, nothing rusts here!
__________________
"Mankind requires 4 elements to survive on this planet...
Air, Water, Fire and Sportscar" -Bill Frank

Zaino'ed!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #47
SwampCat84
Private First Class
SwampCat84's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
148
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

JUST SPOKE WITH BMWNA....

I just got off the phone with a very nice lady at BMWNA. We have been playing phone tag for a couple weeks now and I finally got to speak with her about the rust issue. She said this was the first time that she personally had heard of the issue. I told her about the extent of people this is affecting and that there are still people out there that are being turned down by the dealer saying 'Its Normal'.... ITS NOT NORMAL. She said if anyone else that I know is having this issue with the dealer refusing to fix it, they should contact BMWNA directly. Once they get enough complaints they will release a bulletin about the issue.

Its something that SHOULD be fixed... Dont let this slide! Dont take BS from the dealer! You're 'new' car should NOT have rust in it!

My dealer is replacing both the seat frames. They are, however, on back order right now.. prob because of all the people who are getting them replaced because of the rust.

BMWNA Phone #800-831-1117 (I live in SoCal, so the number may be different depending on where you live) But they can get you to the right place.

PLEASE CALL! The more people they get calling in about this rust issue, the better the chance they will release an official bulletin.

__________________


2012 328i F30/ Window Tint, M-Performance Kidney Grilles, Sport Front Trim Pieces with Whiskers, VMR V721s 19x8.5 F/19x9.5 R, (Coilovers Coming Soon!)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #48
snowghost
Colonel
snowghost's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
2,002
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325bim View Post
No rust, jan 2012 build.. Of course this is Arizona, nothing rusts here!
LOL. That is the truth! That's why they store all those old airliners and warbirds in the desert.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #49
YeaF30
Second Lieutenant
YeaF30's Avatar
8
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
After reading this thread I checked my car (June 12 build) and sure enough I have some surface rust spots on the underside seat frames and the outer hinges. Took the car to the local dealer yesterday and the SA said "some surface rust is normal". I responded that it is about as normal as a car that was in a flood. He was sympathetic after we talked a bit and informed me to bring the car back on a scheduled day to have the district manager be present to look at the issue.

After reading that others had more success with utilizing BMW NA, I am thinking that a call to them ahead of time would ensure everyone is aware of the situation prior to my car being in as scheduled.
__________________
2012 328i Sport Line - Alpine White / Coral Red :: ZPP :: ZPS :: ZCW :: 522
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #50
kasmankk
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

my car have the same issue. prd date sept 2012
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #51
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
2
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasmankk View Post
my car have the same issue. prd date sept 2012
I heard Hongkong, Malaysia, Singapore and Korea had more serious rusty seat issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #52
Tsuvoi
Banned
6
Rep
272
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Reading this thread I'm very grateful of 2 things:

- The Internet in general and this forum in particular for the amazing power and knowledge it gives us as consumers.
- To have decided to wait until 2013 to buy the car so most issues like this will be fixed!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #53
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
2
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
Reading this thread I'm very grateful of 2 things:

- The Internet in general and this forum in particular for the amazing power and knowledge it gives us as consumers.
- To have decided to wait until 2013 to buy the car so most issues like this will be fixed!
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #54
snowghost
Colonel
snowghost's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
2,002
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
Reading this thread I'm very grateful of 2 things:

- The Internet in general and this forum in particular for the amazing power and knowledge it gives us as consumers.
- To have decided to wait until 2013 to buy the car so most issues like this will be fixed!
Well I waited until 2013, but a couple months too early
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #55
jamie335i
Private
0
Rep
65
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i M sport 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

my hinges and frames are on order and being replaced with no arguement from my dealer or BMWNA
__________________
2013 335i M sport 6MT --Sapphire Black Metallic/Black Dakota, premium package, technology package, dynamic handling, black grilles, 5% tint--
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #56
hrosenberg33
Private
Canada
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Unfortunately my Sept 2012 build has the following:
[/url]


I called the service manager and left a message as well as emailed him these pics. I will let you know how they respond.

BMW ownership is not seeming so great right now but I'm hoping they come through with the service.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #57
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
2
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
Unfortunately my Sept 2012 build has the following:
[/url]


I called the service manager and left a message as well as emailed him these pics. I will let you know how they respond.

BMW ownership is not seeming so great right now but I'm hoping they come through with the service.
Welcome to "Rusty club".
You can send an email to BMW Canada, and they will contact your dealer to take some photos when you bring in your car.
IMHO, your seat frames must be replaced....
Please let us know the progress. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #58
hrosenberg33
Private
Canada
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
Welcome to "Rusty club".
You can send an email to BMW Canada, and they will contact your dealer to take some photos when you bring in your car.
IMHO, your seat frames must be replaced....
Please let us know the progress. Thx.
Hahaha....wish I wasn't in this "elite club"!!

Was there an email you have for them? I only see the online form here: http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/general/contact/contact.html
but no actual email. For some reason the form doesn't recognize that is has been filled in on my laptop and won't send.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #59
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
2
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
Hahaha....wish I wasn't in this "elite club"!!

Was there an email you have for them? I only see the online form here: http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/general/contact/contact.html
but no actual email. For some reason the form doesn't recognize that is has been filled in on my laptop and won't send.

Thanks
I think I used the same online form for the initial inquiry, and got a response the next day.

If your online form is not working, please try direct email "customer.service@bmw.ca"

You may need to include your VIN info.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #60
hrosenberg33
Private
Canada
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
I think I used the same online form for the initial inquiry, and got a response the next day.

If your online form is not working, please try direct email "customer.service@bmw.ca"

You may need to include your VIN info.
Thank you. I just sent the email and pics, we'll see how they respond. I'll let you guys know.

Last edited by hrosenberg33; 01-07-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #61
KY52PNN
Registered
China
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320i (F30)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Beijing

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can258 View Post
March 2012 built 320d and rusty So what will happen if I take it to my dealer ? Will they change the seat bases free of charge ? What did you guys do ?
Yes, some rusty seats have been changed in China freely, but I dont see any recall plan from BMW China.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #62
PaceMaker
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320D
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Rusty 320D

Took a picture under my seat and found this last week. Went to Auto Bavaria - dealer in Malaysia , they snap a photo and probably ordered new seats to replace them. The rust is ridiculous along with knocking sound when going over a bump and other issues.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #63
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
2
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceMaker View Post
Took a picture under my seat and found this last week. Went to Auto Bavaria - dealer in Malaysia , they snap a photo and probably ordered new seats to replace them. The rust is ridiculous along with knocking sound when going over a bump and other issues.
Wow, that IS rusty!
Good to hear that your dealer is willing to replace the seats.
Please inform us after your seats are replaced with shiny new ones
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #64
live4wknds
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Mine was in for BMW rep to inspect today. SA just called to say my seat frames will be replaced! Oddly, the rep instructed the SA to have the frames 'painted' for rust protection prior to installing in my car. I'm wondering if BMW is now using up their inventory of non-galvanized F30 seat frames and addressing rust prevention measures themselves. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt me. But, I'm good with how they're handling it.

As an aside, they also addressed a factory recall...electronic/firmware. I'm guessing FEM related but I'll find out when I get the car this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #65
snowghost
Colonel
snowghost's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
2,002
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4wknds View Post
Mine was in for BMW rep to inspect today. SA just called to say my seat frames will be replaced! Oddly, the rep instructed the SA to have the frames 'painted' for rust protection prior to installing in my car. I'm wondering if BMW is now using up their inventory of non-galvanized F30 seat frames and addressing rust prevention measures themselves. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt me. But, I'm good with how they're handling it.

As an aside, they also addressed a factory recall...electronic/firmware. I'm guessing FEM related but I'll find out when I get the car this afternoon.
Yeah mine too. It is a NAV upgrade in my case recall SIB 65-22-12
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #66
ob2ob2
New Member
ob2ob2's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: F07 520d GT M Sports
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Reading

iTrader: (0)

Pitty, a car seems to be perfect, but now ... nothing is perfect in the world. I saw other cheaper cars have the seat base painted under both the front and rear seats, but has BMW simply forgotten it?

Maybe there will be a new option code "NRS" in 2014 model year, for non-rusty seat base?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST