F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Why the y- cable work?
RW Carbon
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
dos1973
Private
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Why the y- cable work?

Hi,

Merry xmas to all.

Maybe somebody can this explain for me.

I don't habe the extendet bluetooth, so I have to use the Y-Cable to connect my iphone. When i connect only the usb part of the Y-Cable, i can use idrive without sound. Ok, understand, but why, when connecting my white Apple USB, the phone don't connect? Why the Y-Cable support iDrive and the normal not?

Thank in advance


Cheers Dos
dos1973 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
dos1973
Private
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Nobody?
dos1973 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
g2g8969
Private
 
Drives: bmw 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question, but I think you are asking why your normal apple white USB cable doesn't work with idrive right? You need the option enhanced Bluetooth with USB to be able to use the white iPhone cable to connect your phone. Without that option, you can only use the y cable. You mentioned you get no sound? Go online and try to find another y cable, it should be able to have sound played
g2g8969 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
dos1973
Private
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

I think you missunderstand me. sorry for my bad english.

i try it again:
when i connect with the Apple cable, nothing happens. I drive dont show the phone as not connected.

when i now take ONLY the USB Part from the Y-cable (im only talking about idrive connectivity) the iphone are displayed in idrive as connected, I can choose playlists etc.

ok, I need the Aux jack to enable sound, but I'm interetestd, why there is an USB connection possible and with the Apple cable an USB Connection is not possible.
dos1973 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
CESIUM
Private
 
Drives: 2013 X3 35i Msport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

I believe it functions as a combination of both. Neither work alone and both are needed for full function.

But I see your point. With the lightning adaptor. There is a chip in there. But with the old cables its just a USB, so how does the car know?

I think there is some "magic" happening in that "y" connection....
CESIUM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
1lyfe
Major
 
1lyfe's Avatar
 
Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,057
iTrader: (1)

You need to have navigation for the apple cable to work with the car
If you dont have it then you have to use the y cable or else it will not work.
1lyfe is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

This thread can be considered as closed as the OP has successfully coded his car for the white cable to work.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
hrosenberg33
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
This thread can be considered as closed as the OP has successfully coded his car for the white cable to work.
Would love to get this through coding as well!!! If only I wasn't such a wimp.
hrosenberg33 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
Would love to get this through coding as well!!! If only I wasn't such a wimp.
It's a special case for OP cos his car have professional nav & 6NH (basic BT). Wht we found out is that it comes from the factory already fitted with a combox media & for 6NH the factory disabled most of the combox features via coding. Wht he did was just re-enabling the features thru coding, so u still need a combox to be present to be able to activate those features.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
hrosenberg33
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
It's a special case for OP cos his car have professional nav & 6NH (basic BT). Wht we found out is that it comes from the factory already fitted with a combox media & for 6NH the factory disabled most of the combox features via coding. Wht he did was just re-enabling the features thru coding, so u still need a combox to be present to be able to activate those features.
Ahhh, that makes sense. I can stop dreaming now. It's such a simple thing I can't even begin to comprehend why they simply use the USB cable only.
hrosenberg33 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
brbmw
Registered
 
Drives: 2013 528i F10
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brazil

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Have Professional Nav and 6NH, How to unlock Combox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
It's a special case for OP cos his car have professional nav & 6NH (basic BT). Wht we found out is that it comes from the factory already fitted with a combox media & for 6NH the factory disabled most of the combox features via coding. Wht he did was just re-enabling the features thru coding, so u still need a combox to be present to be able to activate those features.

Hi there, I am in the exact same situation as quoted above, my Jul/2012 F10 Build (2013 528i model) was built with Professional Nav (609) and 6NH, in addition to Hi-Fi, Internet and BMW Online, but it did not come with the Connected Drive or Extended Bluetooth functionalities. With that, I cannot connect my iPhone/iPod using just the Apple cable and cannot see art covers. It appears given my config that is it possible to unlock the existing Combox in my car to allow for the additional functionalities, where to go for help with this??

Thank you

brbmw
PS: I am in Brazil, so will have to do it remotely with some kind of help
brbmw is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Can u pm me ur option codes using bmwvin.com?
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
hrosenberg33
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Can u pm me ur option codes using bmwvin.com?
Hi Clarence, thanks for your help.

So it turns out I do have a Combox which I believe means I can get the USB cable only, cover art and A2DP to work with coding. Now I just need to find someone who can help me with the coding. I've looked at the Coding DIY thread and it's just way too confusing for me to do it on my own. I'm not smart enough.
hrosenberg33 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post

So it turns out I do have a Combox which I believe means I can get the USB cable only, cover art and A2DP to work with coding. Now I just need to find someone who can help me with the coding. I've looked at the Coding DIY thread and it's just way too confusing for me to do it on my own. I'm not smart enough.
It doesn't matter, they are very patient in answering questions. Also on the 1st page of that thread they have some downloadable instructions, read the step-by-step first & see wht u think.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
hrosenberg33
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
It doesn't matter, they are very patient in answering questions. Also on the 1st page of that thread they have some downloadable instructions, read the step-by-step first & see wht u think.
I've read the whole thread, all the instructions and the .pdf's but I still find myself not comfortable enough. I think if I could watch someone do it once I would be set....or I could just order a cable and go for it!!! Haha, we'll see where my patience/impatience leaves me.
hrosenberg33 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
vestokes
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 328is M sport/Tech Package
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tracy, CA

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

As a new member, I don't know if this has been discussed. I think it will provide some insight to dos1973's problem.

I have an iPhone 5. So, there is no BMW cradle for my phone. With the Y Cable I have to use the lighting to 30 pin adapter. This allows access to music but no apps on the iPhone or BMW App. With a lighting to USB cable connected to the USB port I get BMW App and iPhone apps. I listen to podcasts in my car which required iPhone app accessibility. I'm told a cradle will be available for iPhone 5 around June. Can't wait because it's a hassle to have to switch cables to access different functions
vestokes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestokes View Post
As a new member, I don't know if this has been discussed. I think it will provide some insight to dos1973's problem.

I have an iPhone 5. So, there is no BMW cradle for my phone. With the Y Cable I have to use the lighting to 30 pin adapter. This allows access to music but no apps on the iPhone or BMW App. With a lighting to USB cable connected to the USB port I get BMW App and iPhone apps. I listen to podcasts in my car which required iPhone app accessibility. I'm told a cradle will be available for iPhone 5 around June. Can't wait because it's a hassle to have to switch cables to access different functions
That's a different issue. His problem was initially caused by the combox being coded by the factory to exclude certain features. Before he re-activated everything, he didn't get album art, BT streaming etc. His car has 6NH & therefore no connectors for a cradle, only USB & aux-in.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #18
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
I've read the whole thread, all the instructions and the .pdf's but I still find myself not comfortable enough. I think if I could watch someone do it once I would be set....or I could just order a cable and go for it!!! Haha, we'll see where my patience/impatience leaves me.
I think u should just start slowly & code some minor things 1st (such as speedo on the BC). As shawn said, u cannot brick things just by coding.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #19
hrosenberg33
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive Sport Line
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
I think u should just start slowly & code some minor things 1st (such as speedo on the BC). As shawn said, u cannot brick things just by coding.
You are probably right. If I don't find someone in my area soon I might as well buy the cable and give it a whirl. Worst case I chicken out and I'm out 25 dollars.
hrosenberg33 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST