F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 328i. No MORE!!
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
BMWforLife's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida (Jax/Gainesville)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
23 and u have a new BMW. And your not happy... how do u afford the car in the first place. And lose 40% value in the first year on the trade...
Thanks for everyones responses.

No I am not a millionaire and I know it is not the most financially wise decision but I realize I am young and wonít be able to do such things when/if I have kids someday so I want to make sure I am 100% happy with what I have now at this point in time. I would in no way pursue this if I was not able to do so comfortably. You only live once.

I worked very hard in high school and had a job since I was 14..i was always saving money. My dad taught me to invest with the money I had made since I was 14 (maybe because he felt bad he never started me a college fund), mostly precious metals and REITís. I graduated high school with my AA and graduated with my masters in Finance after 4 years in college.. and now I work in FX Options trading.

So how I afford it: budgeting, planning, saving, working. My parents never bought me a car or paid for my college and I never asked them to either, they raised me like they themselves were raised. Iím not trying to brag here, not by a long shot. I am very humble in life, I know I am lucky to be who I am.

Plus, luckily, I have a good relationship with my dealer and they are willing to work with me as far as trade in value goes.

Not saying Iím like miserable in the 328i. It is a fantastic car, its the reason BMW is the most valuable brand. It just isnít for me.
__________________
14' 335i Sport. AW
Prem/Cold/Driver Assist/Tech Packages
CG Precision R-1 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #24
john08135i
Major
john08135i's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,023
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to john08135i
Ok good for you. IMO.. you should keep the 328..but the burger chip if you need and save now for your own house. That will make your life much easier if you own your own home earlier in life.
thats my 2 cents.
__________________
M Sport Line Estoril Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #25
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
BMWforLife's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida (Jax/Gainesville)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
Ok good for you. IMO.. you should keep the 328..but the burger chip if you need and save now for your own house. That will make your life much easier if you own your own home earlier in life.
thats my 2 cents.
I hear you. That is a priority for sure but financially buying a new car isnít going to change the amount of money I am able to tuck away each month for a new house. I bought a decent condo a year ago and will likely be moving to chicago later this year and will be renting out where I live now.

Supposedly my housing will be paid for my time in chicago.
__________________
14' 335i Sport. AW
Prem/Cold/Driver Assist/Tech Packages
CG Precision R-1 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #26
BMWinGE
Captain
10
Rep
649
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Im kind of in the same boat as you. I really like the 328i, but Im a person that always wants a little more power, as long as its a reasonable cost (i.e, I wouldn't even think 335i if it was $10K more). However, I'm waiting till the N55 engine replacement comes out. No need to rush and get the 335i now only to have it upgraded shortly after. If I didnt have the 328i it might be different, but it has enough power to keep me happy until that time.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #27
zofinger
First Lieutenant
zofinger's Avatar
England
3
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335d MSport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
Im kind of in the same boat as you. I really like the 328i, but Im a person that always wants a little more power, as long as its a reasonable cost (i.e, I wouldn't even think 335i if it was $10K more). However, I'm waiting till the N55 engine replacement comes out. No need to rush and get the 335i now only to have it upgraded shortly after. If I didnt have the 328i it might be different, but it has enough power to keep me happy until that time.
When's the 'new' 335i engine likely?

I got a 328i - it's like getting a 42' plasma; you always want something bigger and in this case, faster! But in the UK the difference was about £5-6k (nearly 20% more) - the difference in performance stats between 328 and 335 didn't seem to warrant that amount.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #28
BMWinGE
Captain
10
Rep
649
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

if BMW follows the same plan as with the E90, the new engine will debut with the coupe first, then to the sedan the next model year.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #29
F30AM
Brigadier General
F30AM's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
4,228
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Get Mineral Grey and the 8 speed auto.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #30
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,144
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Get Mineral Grey and the 8 speed auto.
I concur...for obvious reasons!
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #31
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
BMWforLife's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida (Jax/Gainesville)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
Im kind of in the same boat as you. I really like the 328i, but Im a person that always wants a little more power, as long as its a reasonable cost (i.e, I wouldn't even think 335i if it was $10K more). However, I'm waiting till the N55 engine replacement comes out. No need to rush and get the 335i now only to have it upgraded shortly after. If I didnt have the 328i it might be different, but it has enough power to keep me happy until that time.
Yup. Ordered today. M Sport, 335i, 6MT.

yeah I like my car, and you will always want something bigger and better thats true. The cost of this car versus the one I bought already is only about 4500 ( i got some deals though on the 335).

Even if a new motor replaces the N55 I will still be happy with this. It is a very different feel, sound, I just enjoy it much more than I enjoy 4500$ sitting in the bank. On paper the performance numbers arenít THAT far off but, I like it so I got it.

also, got the CA to start up the new M5 for me and he revved it up to 5500 rpm while i stood in back in awe. Now im going to trade in for an M5! just kidding.

Thanks all.
__________________
14' 335i Sport. AW
Prem/Cold/Driver Assist/Tech Packages
CG Precision R-1 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
KoenG
First Lieutenant
Belgium
6
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: E39 530i & F10 520d
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife View Post
Yup. Ordered today. M Sport, 335i, 6MT.

yeah I like my car, and you will always want something bigger and better thats true. The cost of this car versus the one I bought already is only about 4500 ( i got some deals though on the 335).

Even if a new motor replaces the N55 I will still be happy with this. It is a very different feel, sound, I just enjoy it much more than I enjoy 4500$ sitting in the bank. On paper the performance numbers arenít THAT far off but, I like it so I got it.

also, got the CA to start up the new M5 for me and he revved it up to 5500 rpm while i stood in back in awe. Now im going to trade in for an M5! just kidding.

Thanks all.

There is a name for what you do "cognitive dissonance", you try to rationalise the unlogical decisions you make, since you're a smart guy. You most probably compare the new price of your 328i back then with the one of the 335i you've ordered without counting your real loss in the transaction.

Bizar, but hey, when you're ok with it, I hope the car will deliver what you want, for about 18 months that is...since then an M4/3 and an 335i M perfomance will have seen the day light and those will certainly eclipse what you have on order now.

My advice, try to keep a car a bit longer, certainly such a nice car like a 328i or certainly the 335i you have on order now.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #33
Vitoco
Captain
Vitoco's Avatar
Sweden
13
Rep
854
Posts

 
Drives: F31 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife View Post
Yup. Ordered today. M Sport, 335i, 6MT.

yeah I like my car, and you will always want something bigger and better thats true. The cost of this car versus the one I bought already is only about 4500 ( i got some deals though on the 335).

Even if a new motor replaces the N55 I will still be happy with this. It is a very different feel, sound, I just enjoy it much more than I enjoy 4500$ sitting in the bank. On paper the performance numbers arenít THAT far off but, I like it so I got it.

also, got the CA to start up the new M5 for me and he revved it up to 5500 rpm while i stood in back in awe. Now im going to trade in for an M5! just kidding.

Thanks all.
As he said above, u are justifying it to yourself with the more-power-n-6-cylinder argument sayin you'll be happy with the 335i ur getting. But since u felt this way about your 328i you will most likely feel the same when the more powerful engines come. And ull feel the need for the upgrade again. So instead of always chasing that ultimate engine, realize its an empty strive and try to see the beauty in what u got. 335i ftw
__________________
Glacier Ag. F31 328iA M Sport oct. 2012
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #34
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
BMWforLife's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida (Jax/Gainesville)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
As he said above, u are justifying it to yourself with the more-power-n-6-cylinder argument sayin you'll be happy with the 335i ur getting. But since u felt this way about your 328i you will most likely feel the same when the more powerful engines come. And ull feel the need for the upgrade again. So instead of always chasing that ultimate engine, realize its an empty strive and try to see the beauty in what u got. 335i ftw
I will always rationalize the decision, any human would. It makes you feel better inside

At the end of the day, I am young and have my whole life ahead of me.

I should note, I was uneasy about buying a 328i over 335i when I actually did, this isnít a normal thing for me I donít just trade cars every 4 months for fun...

I enjoy driving the 335i...so itís here to stay (when I take delivery)

I do appreciate the advice and wisdom all, even if its things I donít want to hear. Honesty is important in life.
__________________
14' 335i Sport. AW
Prem/Cold/Driver Assist/Tech Packages
CG Precision R-1 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #35
zofinger
First Lieutenant
zofinger's Avatar
England
3
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335d MSport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
But since u felt this way about your 328i you will most likely feel the same when the more powerful engines come. And ull feel the need for the upgrade again. So instead of always chasing that ultimate engine, realize its an empty strive and try to see the beauty in what u got. 335i ftw
See I'd love to get a 335i, but you're spot on with that comment.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #36
godfather87
Private
5
Rep
79
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335ix
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada, Kitchener

iTrader: (0)

and i thought i was bad for buying a new 335 at the age of 25:O
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #37
maineguy
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328I
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Greenville S.C.

iTrader: (0)

6 speed manual

I picked up a 6 speed manual a month ago. It is very smooth and performs very well, some say as well as the manual in a Porsche. However getting it into reverse takes some getting used to.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
BMWforLife's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida (Jax/Gainesville)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
I picked up a 6 speed manual a month ago. It is very smooth and performs very well, some say as well as the manual in a Porsche. However getting it into reverse takes some getting used to.
Awesome. I cant wait.

Did you keep the stock shift knob?
__________________
14' 335i Sport. AW
Prem/Cold/Driver Assist/Tech Packages
CG Precision R-1 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #39
Vitoco
Captain
Vitoco's Avatar
Sweden
13
Rep
854
Posts

 
Drives: F31 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife View Post
I will always rationalize the decision, any human would. It makes you feel better inside

At the end of the day, I am young and have my whole life ahead of me.

I should note, I was uneasy about buying a 328i over 335i when I actually did, this isnít a normal thing for me I donít just trade cars every 4 months for fun...

I enjoy driving the 335i...so itís here to stay (when I take delivery)

I do appreciate the advice and wisdom all, even if its things I donít want to hear. Honesty is important in life.
__________________
Glacier Ag. F31 328iA M Sport oct. 2012
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #40
KoenG
First Lieutenant
Belgium
6
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: E39 530i & F10 520d
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife View Post
I will always rationalize the decision, any human would. It makes you feel better inside

At the end of the day, I am young and have my whole life ahead of me.

I should note, I was uneasy about buying a 328i over 335i when I actually did, this isnít a normal thing for me I donít just trade cars every 4 months for fun...

I enjoy driving the 335i...so itís here to stay (when I take delivery)

I do appreciate the advice and wisdom all, even if its things I donít want to hear. Honesty is important in life.
The 335i will be a blast to drive. When you are able to hang out with it for several years (why not, try at least 7?), you'll be able to afford a next generation 3-series delivering more punch, way better efficiency, and tighter ride overall at the end of the year 2019.

For now, the 335i seems to be a landmark car for the years to come. So no shame I'd say. Try to omit the M versions coming within about a year or so. They are indeed probably better, but they will set you back several tousands again. And while they are probably good value for money, they won't be for you, seen your projected loss on transaction of the 335i. They will be good value for people wanting to replace their carrera's with something more practical or former e46M drivers, but not for current F30 drivers...

When you can't resist, you'll just surf the small waves of incremental improvements for a few years. Those small waves will digest all your money though, since the small ones cost the most. Go for the big ones instead, and maybe explore pre-owned offerings that you like. That can save you a bunch of money.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #41
rconti
Lieutenant
6
Rep
515
Posts

 
Drives: Z3 M Coupe, NB Miata
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWforLife View Post
I realize I am young and wonít be able to do such things when/if I have kids someday so I want to make sure I am 100% happy with what I have now at this point in time. I would in no way pursue this if I was not able to do so comfortably. You only live once.
Nah, you'll be able to do that stuff your whole life unless you start making bad decisions
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #42
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
BMWforLife's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida (Jax/Gainesville)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
The 335i will be a blast to drive. When you are able to hang out with it for several years (why not, try at least 7?), you'll be able to afford a next generation 3-series delivering more punch, way better efficiency, and tighter ride overall at the end of the year 2019.

For now, the 335i seems to be a landmark car for the years to come. So no shame I'd say. Try to omit the M versions coming within about a year or so. They are indeed probably better, but they will set you back several tousands again. And while they are probably good value for money, they won't be for you, seen your projected loss on transaction of the 335i. They will be good value for people wanting to replace their carrera's with something more practical or former e46M drivers, but not for current F30 drivers...

When you can't resist, you'll just surf the small waves of incremental improvements for a few years. Those small waves will digest all your money though, since the small ones cost the most. Go for the big ones instead, and maybe explore pre-owned offerings that you like. That can save you a bunch of money.
My thought process parallels this. I do indeed plan on keeping my 335i for a long time. An M car isnít for me right now at this point in life, when I do decide to get one I will want to use it as a secondary vehicle not a daily driver.

I appreciate your advice, and am taking it. This small bump isnít hitting me too hard, but I can appreciate that many small bumps make a big dent.

Iím going to get the 335i, make it my own, enjoy it, and continue to save money as always.
__________________
14' 335i Sport. AW
Prem/Cold/Driver Assist/Tech Packages
CG Precision R-1 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #43
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
BMWforLife's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida (Jax/Gainesville)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Nah, you'll be able to do that stuff your whole life unless you start making bad decisions
hahahaha. VERY TRUE
__________________
14' 335i Sport. AW
Prem/Cold/Driver Assist/Tech Packages
CG Precision R-1 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #44
JamesMA
First Lieutenant
JamesMA's Avatar
12
Rep
309
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

FWIW, I love my 335i. No regrets here, just waiting impatiently for the power kit. I came from a E46 325i. It was a great car, but overall, there is no real contest.
__________________
2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport - Blk Saph. / Beige Lthr / Wood Tr. - Tech Pk - VSS M-Adp. Susp. M-Perf Stainless Exhaust M-Perf. brakes
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST