F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Engine oil at minimum!
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
16
Rep
693
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
you should be able to get more mileage as well. Do you have 6MT or 8AT? Last week I wanted to see whats the most miles I could get per tank and it was boring as hell eco pro mode and I did not exceed 85mph. I got 380miles and I could have probably stretched it further.
I have the 8AT but because I make mostly shorter in-town hops, my mileage suffers.

Got off the phone with the service guy just now and he confirmed that it's nothing to be alarmed at. He suggested that I bring it in next time for a top-up.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
RalphT5
Private
United_States
2
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

I just had a similar experience yesterday with my F30 335. I have 5700 miles on it and had to add 1 qt of oil. I was a bit surprised / concerned at first, but after reading this thread, I guess this is normal.
__________________
2013 335i M-Sport
Estoril Blue II, Sport Trans w/ Paddles, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Driver Assist+
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
hans007
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
302
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i estoril blue
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: culver city, ca

iTrader: (0)

i've heard the N55 burns a lot more than the N20 especially when new.

that said, my POS audi does this same thing every 1500 miles or so and it is 3 years old. so if it keeps happening have them fix it (audi is actually replacing cylinders / pistons for many cars). seems all the oil consumption reports i've heard of about the F30 are on the N55 models (and e90s did this too so i dont think its new)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #26
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
28
Rep
1,556
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i've heard the N55 burns a lot more than the N20 especially when new.

that said, my POS audi does this same thing every 1500 miles or so and it is 3 years old. so if it keeps happening have them fix it (audi is actually replacing cylinders / pistons for many cars). seems all the oil consumption reports i've heard of about the F30 are on the N55 models (and e90s did this too so i dont think its new)
All turbo cars burn oil no way out of that. Im actually impressed that after 10,000 miles it only needed a quart.
__________________
Timeline: 335i Sport W/ Adaptive M suspension| Sport Variable steering| Technology PKG| HK Sound PKG| BMW apps| BMW Assist| Sport line hand brake grip| M Performance black kidneys|
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #27
sr5959
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Auto
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
All turbo cars burn oil no way out of that. Im actually impressed that after 10,000 miles it only needed a quart.
Just checked mine for the first time ever, at 11k miles, oil level was at max.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #28
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
28
Rep
1,556
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Just checked mine for the first time ever, at 11k miles, oil level was at max.
I'm sure driving style has something to do with it as well. I am a hard driver plus been on the track a few times already.
__________________
Timeline: 335i Sport W/ Adaptive M suspension| Sport Variable steering| Technology PKG| HK Sound PKG| BMW apps| BMW Assist| Sport line hand brake grip| M Performance black kidneys|
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #29
hans007
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
302
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i estoril blue
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: culver city, ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I'm sure driving style has something to do with it as well. I am a hard driver plus been on the track a few times already.
i think theres an acceptable level of oil burn on a turbo car.

and i'm talking like .5 L / 10000 miles.

not 1 L in 1000-2000 miles like some more problematic cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
28
Rep
1,556
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i think theres an acceptable level of oil burn on a turbo car.

and i'm talking like .5 L / 10000 miles.

not 1 L in 1000-2000 miles like some more problematic cars.
1L in 1000 miles would be really bad! My Gti needed around 1-2 quarts every 10,000 miles
__________________
Timeline: 335i Sport W/ Adaptive M suspension| Sport Variable steering| Technology PKG| HK Sound PKG| BMW apps| BMW Assist| Sport line hand brake grip| M Performance black kidneys|
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #31
sr5959
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Auto
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I'm sure driving style has something to do with it as well. I am a hard driver plus been on the track a few times already.
Definitely, I don't drive it very hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #32
hans007
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
302
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i estoril blue
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: culver city, ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
1L in 1000 miles would be really bad! My Gti needed around 1-2 quarts every 10,000 miles
my A4 , its been about 1100-2500 miles a quart of late

i've heard of some people it getting as bad as 600 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #33
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
England
89
Rep
2,572
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

iTrader: (0)

I really don't get this!

My 328i is at ~13,500mls and is still showing MAX from when I picked it up with 6 miles on the clock! Why does the OP's 328i burn so much whilst mine hasn't used a drop (or seemingly so from the iDrive)?

My E90 330d burned 1L off in the first 1200mls and then barely needed a top-up during its 80,000mls life time.

And it's still going somewhere in the UK - it went to auction and I know someone (or some company) bought it - would love to find it again one day!! Anyway, thats off-topic!

What you've said on this thread is that it probably depends on your driving style. And yes, I don't beat on my car much, but that said, I don't hang about either. Most acceleration is firm, especially onto motorways (because that's fun!) and the needle has visited 7k countless times. I've also been to 150mph in it once, 140 a few times, etc. It's not worked hard in comparison to many of you guys anyway from what I hear but it ain't grannied!

So, perhaps the answer I'm after is; what changes to make it consume 1L in 3000mls compared to 0L in 13000mls? How does the car decide? What is it using it for? A litre burnt so soon just to lubricate is mad, especially when identical cars are using nothing.

But with my 330d exhibiting the same behavior, I'm sure it's not a problem
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #34
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,797
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
I really don't get this!

My 328i is at ~13,500mls and is still showing MAX from when I picked it up with 6 miles on the clock! Why does the OP's 328i burn so much whilst mine hasn't used a drop (or seemingly so from the iDrive)?

My E90 330d burned 1L off in the first 1200mls and then barely needed a top-up during its 80,000mls life time.

And it's still going somewhere in the UK - it went to auction and I know someone (or some company) bought it - would love to find it again one day!! Anyway, thats off-topic!

What you've said on this thread is that it probably depends on your driving style. And yes, I don't beat on my car much, but that said, I don't hang about either. Most acceleration is firm, especially onto motorways (because that's fun!) and the needle has visited 7k countless times. I've also been to 150mph in it once, 140 a few times, etc. It's not worked hard in comparison to many of you guys anyway from what I hear but it ain't grannied!

So, perhaps the answer I'm after is; what changes to make it consume 1L in 3000mls compared to 0L in 13000mls? How does the car decide? What is it using it for? A litre burnt so soon just to lubricate is mad, especially when identical cars are using nothing.

But with my 330d exhibiting the same behavior, I'm sure it's not a problem

I think the OP's car is a 335i. I've seen posts where the N55 is burning through a quart every 3,000 miles or so.

My 328i N20 also has about 13,500 miles on it and the oil is still at MAX and I have not put any oil in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #35
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
England
89
Rep
2,572
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
I think the OP's car is a 335i. I've seen posts where the N55 is burning through a quart every 3,000 miles or so.

My 328i N20 also has about 13,500 miles on it and the oil is still at MAX and I have not put any oil in it.
Ahh you're right so it is. Both engines are quite similar though as BMW have standardised the N55, N20 and N13 so it's essentially just plus 2 cylinders on the 28i - wonder why it get's through so much when there is only 2 more cylinders...
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
KITT
New Member
Singapore
2
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: Black KITT F30 328i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

I just got my 328i last Fri. Only discovered that the engine oil is very high yesterday. Is it ok during run-in period ?

Tks
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #37
Vitoco
Captain
Vitoco's Avatar
Sweden
13
Rep
854
Posts

 
Drives: F31 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT View Post
Hi,

I just got my 328i last Fri. Only discovered that the engine oil is very high yesterday. Is it ok during run-in period ?

Tks
Huh? Is it at max u mean? In that case, thatīs where it should be. Run it in as the manual states. Dont nanny it, thats just bad for it. I drove dynamically when running it in, always AFTER it had reached working temp. Revved it often but NEVER above 4500 (maybe 3-4 times accidentally when missing to shift but were talking 5500 at max).

I changed the oil at 1000 miles, will do the next change at 2400 and then according to the comp at 4800. Had it changed at a BMW workshop, and they did NOT reset the comp since it would mess up the change interval for other things. And thats the way to go if you are gonna do extra oil changes inbetween. I will have the oil changed every 2400 miles so thats one extra change within the standard intervalls.

Why am I doing this? Im not leasing and I will keep the car for at least 6-7 years if not more depending on how it holds up.
__________________
Glacier Ag. F31 328iA M Sport oct. 2012
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #38
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,144
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

I changed after break in at 1500 miles...i'm at 6700 miles, measured this morning (N55/335i), and it's a hair UNDER the max value (so a total of 5000 miles of driving).

I would imagine by April, which is when the dealer said I can come in for a free change, I'll be at just above minimum.

I've never experienced oil consumption in my Evo VIII, i broke it in well though. My wife's 2.0T jetta used to burn oil like crazy.
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
wayman519
Private First Class
No_Country
9
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

7500km, oil still at 100%
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #40
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,797
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519 View Post
7500km, oil still at 100%
328i or 335i?

I'll bet it's a 328i.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #41
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
11
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Here

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
I was startled by a warning gong driving home yesterday evening, indicating that the engine was at the minimum oil level. Very strange considering I've only had the car four months and have only driven about 3100 km (1900 miles).

After consulting the manual I added 1L synthetic 5w30 this morning and rechecked the oil level a few minutes later. Much to my surprise it read maximum level, so it would seem the difference between minimum acceptable and maximum capacity is only 1L.

I don't seem to be leaking any oil. I checked last night and this morning and the only dripping is the AC condensation drip (rubbed my fingers in it to make sure).

Could this be an indication of some kind of issue? It happened Saturday night so I couldn't take the car in to the dealership today, but I intend to on Monday afternoon.
how did u run in your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #42
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
16
Rep
693
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat87 View Post
how did u run in your car?
I think I was pretty mild. Might have exceeded the RPM recommendation one or two times, but nothing crazy. I'm a fairly laid back driver.

The car is nine months now and I haven't received the warning again.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #43
wayman519
Private First Class
No_Country
9
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
328i or 335i?

I'll bet it's a 328i.
yeah 328i, How come the 335i eats so much oil? didnt the n55 get similar treatment to the n20 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #44
snowghost
Colonel
snowghost's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
2,003
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
As you have noticed, the difference between MAX and (acceptable) MIN level is one litre. One should not fill up the oil unless the car says so.
It says 1 quart, not liter. I was a quart low at about 800 miles. Put in 1 qt Mobile One and am at 2500 miles and still full. Keep 2 of the BMW Castrol on hand now in case I can't get to the dealer for top off.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i

Last edited by snowghost; 01-18-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST