F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Announces 320i and 320i xDrive for U.S. Market priced at $33,445
RW Carbon
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #177
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Posts: 1,543
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
This thread is hilarious.

OH NO3S!!! THE FILTHY PEASANTS CAN AFFORD OUR GERMAN LUXURY SEDANS NOW!

No wonder BMW drivers get such a bad rap. Get over it. For every person who buys a BMW because they think they're hot shit, there are 100 senior citizens or normal businessmen/women buying them because they value the traits that make a BMW a BMW.

If BMW tried to please the idiots in this thread, they'd have been out of business years ago.
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
bradleyland is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #178
kevlartoronto
Private First Class
 
Drives: a4 3.2L avant 6spd
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: toronto

Posts: 131
iTrader: (0)

does anybody think that they are going to actually get the same mpg out of a 335 from a 328 or 320?
kevlartoronto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #179
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Not likely. By that line of reasoning, BMW would be throwing out a significant portion of their current engine manufacturing cycle because they were unable to attain the specified power output. There simply isn't that much variation in manufacturing these days. We (humans) are too good at it.

Any differences in the engine are intentional and introduced by specification.
No, they're not throwing them out, merely badging them as 20i if it cannot attain 28i's level of performance. That's the only reason why no tuner can attain 28i's level of output using a 20i if all parts are identical.
BMW has been making 20i version of the N20 since 2011, so they're wasting nothing.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #180
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
 
Cisitalia's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 337
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frencholivier View Post
Where did you emotionally go? Anywhere?
Also, could owning a 335i F30 reconcile you with BMW?
You did not get his point, so I will clarify. He is entertaining leaving BMW to get an ATS. I already did jump and happy I did.
Cisitalia is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #181
TheGuru2You
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW X1 3.5
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU
Price-wise, wouldn't this eat into 1-Series sales?
That would be true if there were any 1 series sales... Ha

But the 1 is a coupe.
TheGuru2You is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #182
thebest
New Member
 
Drives: E90 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

As a past owner of E90 and currently drives a E92 I agree that this cheapens the 3 series overall. I was planning to get a 335xi but now I don't want to see someone getting a 320i and pay $20,000 less, knowing that the car will look almost identical. Maybe BMW will sell more cars but this will cheapen the 3. They should do what Audi does and bring a 2 series (as in Audi's A3 sedan). Some might say BMW has the 1 but that's not really a mass market model.

I think I'll jump to a X3 3.5 with M sports package the next time I shop for a new car. At least I'm quite confident that BMW won't put the detuned 2.0 in there.

Lastly, I don't think the 320 bodes well with 328. BMW already forced us to pay more for a 4 cylinder and now this? If I'm looking at a 3 I will lean toward a 320 or 335 since a 320 might be able to get modded and get 328 power.
thebest is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #183
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,532
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest View Post
As a past owner of E90 and currently drives a E92 I agree that this cheapens the 3 series overall. I was planning to get a 335xi but now I don't want to see someone getting a 320i and pay $20,000 less, knowing that the car will look almost identical. Maybe BMW will sell more cars but this will cheapen the 3. They should do what Audi does and bring a 2 series (as in Audi's A3 sedan). Some might say BMW has the 1 but that's not really a mass market model.

I think I'll jump to a X3 3.5 with M sports package the next time I shop for a new car. At least I'm quite confident that BMW won't put the detuned 2.0 in there.

Lastly, I don't think the 320 bodes well with 328. BMW already forced us to pay more for a 4 cylinder and now this? If I'm looking at a 3 I will lean toward a 320 or 335 since a 320 might be able to get modded and get 328 power.
What a mentality.

Without the 320 you would have seen people driving around in a car for $20k less. You can spend mid 50's to low 60's on a 335.

I just don't get it.

You buy the best car you can, the one that fills your needs.

Why do we care so much about other people and what they are paying or not paying for models similar to ours.

This whole thread really makes the US look/sound ridiculous to all the countries that have had smaller output 3 series for years. We were one of them! We had the 318TI! You could get a 318TI with am M-kit so from the front it looked like an E36 M3!!!!! Yeah, E36 M3 buyers, I bet they stopped buying 'em once the TI came out for $20k less!
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #184
sean10mm
Private First Class
 
sean10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

I hate to break it to everyone, but at least in America the 3er mainly confers the "status" of "asshole" to the owner. It's been seen mainly as an entry level status whore car going back to the E30, and has never conferred any real prestige to the owner.

(I bought mine because I like the actual car, call me weird.)

And the US had the 318 without causing the end of the world for shitty posers, either.
sean10mm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #185
J Tiberius
Captain
 
J Tiberius's Avatar
 
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seoul

Posts: 192
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkles View Post
Real enthusiasts are always harking for a great handling car with decent power. This is it. This car harkens back to the E30. It has PLENTY of power. Yet everyone wants to complain about how "posers" will be leasing these in mass and how they just want a badge.

So what is is fellas do we want a great handling car at a reasonable cost with decent power or do we want to continue to make fun of sorority girls and secretaries for not being "true enthusiasts" and "badge whores" even if the sales they generate allow us to get these cars in the first place? Who cares? They are building better cars then they ever have before and because they dropped a couple cylinders doesn't diminish that (remember the E30 318is and M3).

Very well said. I concur.
__________________
2012 F30 328i, Imperial Blue, Sport Line, ZPP, ZPS, ZTP, Sport Auto, Heated Seats, Xenons, H&R Sport Springs, Michelin Pilot Super Sports
J Tiberius is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #186
Never Convicted
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 M3 E92
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

Posts: 683
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
I hate to break it to everyone, but at least in America the 3er mainly confers the "status" of "asshole" to the owner. It's been seen mainly as an entry level status whore car going back to the E30, and has never conferred any real prestige to the owner.

(I bought mine because I like the actual car, call me weird.)

And the US had the 318 without causing the end of the world for shitty posers, either.
Actually, by your own reasoning, "weird asshole" would be more appropriate.
Never Convicted is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #187
Thud
Throbbing Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest View Post
As a past owner of E90 and currently drives a E92 I agree that this cheapens the 3 series overall. I was planning to get a 335xi but now I don't want to see someone getting a 320i and pay $20,000 less, knowing that the car will look almost identical.

Quote:
If I'm looking at a 3 I will lean toward a 320 or 335 since a 320 might be able to get modded and get 328 power.

Did somebody else with a completely different opinion swap keyboards with you halfway through your post?

First you say you're no longer considering a 335 because the 320i cheapens the brand.

Then you say you will lean toward either a 320i or a 335i.


Well alrighty then. In either case, WHO THE HELL CARES if somebody is driving a car that looks like yours but costs less? Are you happy with driving a 335i?

If looking important is your #1 goal you should be looking at a Mercedes.
__________________
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Thud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #188
bmwx1803
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW X1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SC

Posts: 185
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [4.25]
I would have no problem here in SC. Diesel is every were.





Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
I'm all for diesel but we need more diesel gas stations in the U.S. For me on the east coast they are very rare so, with that great gas mileage, I'll be using all of it to find the next gas station!!!



BTW, I love that we will be getting options. IMO they had it right the first time with the 335D, I think it helped to change peoples minds about diesel. Regardless, I'm hopeful for the 320D.
bmwx1803 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #189
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ZheHbKa's Avatar
 
Drives: the Wind
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,795
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
No doubt it will sell well due to it being the lowest price 3 series. Disappointing fuel economy numbers though.
+1
__________________
2014 F30 335 X-Drive | 6-MT | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZMM ZDH ZDA |

ZheHbKa is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #190
sean10mm
Private First Class
 
sean10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Actually, by your own reasoning, "weird asshole" would be more appropriate.
For buying a car because I like it, and not because of some perceived status it (doesn't really) give the driver?

I don't think you understand my very simple reasoning here.
sean10mm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #191
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 3,017
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
This thread is hilarious.

OH NO3S!!! THE FILTHY PEASANTS CAN AFFORD OUR GERMAN LUXURY SEDANS NOW!

No wonder BMW drivers get such a bad rap. Get over it. For every person who buys a BMW because they think they're hot shit, there are 100 senior citizens or normal businessmen/women buying them because they value the traits that make a BMW a BMW.

If BMW tried to please the idiots in this thread, they'd have been out of business years ago.
Yeah diluting the brand is always a concern.

But from a marketing perspective, this move makes good sense - you get a sedan's full potential realized at 3 price points: 30's, 40's, and 50's. With the introduction of the M3, 60's too.

I just think it's odd to offer the packages they are offering at that level...
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #192
vladberca
Brigadier General
 
vladberca's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

Posts: 3,567
iTrader: (0)

It's very funny to hear from someone that he will not buy the top model from a series if a new entry level is available
In Europe is very popular to debadge the car so nobody will care if I'm driving a 3xx or a 3yy
vladberca is offline   Romania
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #193
JasonCSU
Colonel
 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,150
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
This thread is hilarious.

OH NO3S!!! THE FILTHY PEASANTS CAN AFFORD OUR GERMAN LUXURY SEDANS NOW!

No wonder BMW drivers get such a bad rap. Get over it. For every person who buys a BMW because they think they're hot shit, there are 100 senior citizens or normal businessmen/women buying them because they value the traits that make a BMW a BMW.

If BMW tried to please the idiots in this thread, they'd have been out of business years ago.
So very true. I remember similar posts on the forum from 3 series owners when the 1 series came to the US. They were claiming the 1er was cheapening the brand and dragging down the values of their own cars. What a joke.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
JasonCSU is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #194
Xcution
Lieutenant
 
Xcution's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i mSport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germany

Posts: 471
iTrader: (0)

This is stupid and gay at the same time. Why will I buy a car with a smaller engine to get pretty much the same MPG?
Xcution is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #195
Frencholivier
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 LCI :)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greater NYC

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest View Post
As a past owner of E90 and currently drives a E92 I agree that this cheapens the 3 series overall. I was planning to get a 335xi but now I don't want to see someone getting a 320i and pay $20,000 less, knowing that the car will look almost identical.

Quote:
If I'm looking at a 3 I will lean toward a 320 or 335 since a 320 might be able to get modded and get 328 power.

Did somebody else with a completely different opinion swap keyboards with you halfway through your post?

First you say you're no longer considering a 335 because the 320i cheapens the brand.

Then you say you will lean toward either a 320i or a 335i.


Well alrighty then. In either case, WHO THE HELL CARES if somebody is driving a car that looks like yours but costs less? Are you happy with driving a 335i?

If looking important is your #1 goal you should be looking at a Mercedes.
+1,000
Frencholivier is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #196
Frencholivier
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 LCI :)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greater NYC

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca
It's very funny to hear from someone that he will not buy the top model from a series if a new entry level is available
In Europe is very popular to debadge the car so nobody will care if I'm driving a 3xx or a 3yy
Indeed it's called being understated. When you don't show the model designation but you leave only enthusiast know what model you are driving (because you have staggered tires or dual tailpipes, say). But being understatement is not an American favorite.
Frencholivier is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #197
Frencholivier
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 LCI :)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Greater NYC

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcution
This is stupid and gay at the same time. Why will I buy a car with a smaller engine to get pretty much the same MPG?
Oooooh my.
Frencholivier is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #198
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
I hate to break it to everyone, but at least in America the 3er mainly confers the "status" of "asshole" to the owner. It's been seen mainly as an entry level status whore car going back to the E30, and has never conferred any real prestige to the owner.

(I bought mine because I like the actual car, call me weird.)

And the US had the 318 without causing the end of the world for shitty posers, either.
Oh, it's worse than that as I've said before.

Your 1998 Camry driving neighbor will think you are either:
1. a jerk
2. putting on airs
3. someone who wastes money willy nilly

Your neighbor in the mansion around the corner will wonder why you are driving a car meant for his 16-year-old daughter and not a proper 7-Series like him.

Therefore, you better enjoy your car because you will get very little "rep" from anyone for driving a 3er.
__________________
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
shabadoo25 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3 series f30, 3 series f30 forum, 3 series forum, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3-series f30, bmw 320i, bmw 320i forum, bmw f30, bmw f30 3-series, bmw f30 forum, f30 3-series, f30 3-series forum, f30 forum, f30 forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST