F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone ever have rear bumper cover replaced?
GetBMWParts

01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...

Drives: '13 335i xDrive coming...

Just wondering if anyone noticed any issues after having a rear bumper replaced due to a accident in regards to the new paint job, or metal damage underneath the cover.

2 weeks after I took delivery some old fart rear ends me at a red light. He claims he didn't have a cell phone on him but I'm willing to bet he was texting. His license plate was stamped onto my bumper cover, but overall no real noticeable damage. So I'm getting my rear bumper cover replaced at a certified BMW collision center and they'll have to repaint the metallic mineral gray. I'm just very concerned given that I feel my brand new special order already has been abused...I'm hoping it will be returned to me like new.

Please let me know if you've had a rear bumper replaced and if there were any sort of headaches or issues with the paint color etc--thanks!
Il Fenomeno 415 is offline   United_States
      01-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Isow
Private First Class

Drives: 328 Modern Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Fenomeno 415 View Post
Just wondering if anyone noticed any issues after having a rear bumper replaced due to a accident in regards to the new paint job, or metal damage underneath the cover.

2 weeks after I took delivery some old fart rear ends me at a red light. He claims he didn't have a cell phone on him but I'm willing to bet he was texting. His license plate was stamped onto my bumper cover, but overall no real noticeable damage. So I'm getting my rear bumper cover replaced at a certified BMW collision center and they'll have to repaint the metallic mineral gray. I'm just very concerned given that I feel my brand new special order already has been abused...I'm hoping it will be returned to me like new.

Please let me know if you've had a rear bumper replaced and if there were any sort of headaches or issues with the paint color etc--thanks!
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the replacement rear bumper will come pre- painted Mineral Grey from BMW.
Isow is offline   United Kingdom
      01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
JK479
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the replacement rear bumper will come pre- painted Mineral Grey from BMW.
most come unpainted. If there is a way to get a painted, factory bumper, its is FAR superior to a bodyshop job here.

Toyota used to send painted bumpers to the USA back in the early 2000s. I was witness to one shipped and installed on a bosses car. A 2003 Sequoia.
      01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 335i Sport

I had a similar thing happen to my car about 3 months after I got it. They ordered the bumper from BMW and it was unpainted, but they did an excellent job at matching the paint. It's apparently all electronic now so the paint job is flawless (my friends shop).

The only thing I noticed is the rear backup sensors don't seem perfectly flush with the bumper. They work fine, and maybe I'm just a perfectionist, but a couple are ever so slightly receded into the bumper (we're talking 1/8 of an inch or less).
tdizzle is offline   United_States
      01-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Jbrock22
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 328I Sport

Mine was replaced and metal support hehind it. Body shop painted it no issues.
      01-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

Happened to me too--guy's foot slipped off the brake at a red light. Metallic Black and the only 2 issues were, 1. the other party's insurance wanted the bumper cover reconditioned, and 2. two brand OEM new covers arrived damaged because of flimsy packing.

Looks as good as it ever did, but when I wipe down the sides of the bumper it has a creaking noise I never noticed on the original. But everything is flush so I'm not going to sweat it.
      01-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle
I had a similar thing happen to my car about 3 months after I got it. They ordered the bumper from BMW and it was unpainted, but they did an excellent job at matching the paint. It's apparently all electronic now so the paint job is flawless (my friends shop).

The only thing I noticed is the rear backup sensors don't seem perfectly flush with the bumper. They work fine, and maybe I'm just a perfectionist, but a couple are ever so slightly receded into the bumper (we're talking 1/8 of an inch or less).
BMW sends the bumper covers over unpainted. The guy told me that only Volvo covers are sent over painted oddly enough.

He also said they have official BMW paint because apparently this shop is the only BMW certified auto body shop in Illinois.

So do you mean you've noticed the rear parking detector is not as sensitive after the change? I will be very upset if I have to live with any changes after this gets done. Everytime I think about what happened I get so pissed off just recalling that guys look on his face.
      01-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
BMW sends the bumper covers over unpainted. The guy told me that only Volvo covers are sent over painted oddly enough.

He also said they have official BMW paint because apparently this shop is the only BMW certified auto body shop in Illinois.

So do you mean you've noticed the rear parking detector is not as sensitive after the change? I will be very upset if I have to live with any changes after this gets done. Everytime I think about what happened I get so pissed off just recalling that guys look on his face.
My sensors are as good as they ever were AFAIK, and I also have Blind Spot Warning (RADAR sensors behind the bumper) and all is well there too.
      01-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22
Mine was replaced and metal support hehind it. Body shop painted it no issues.
Did they have to order more parts to fix the metal support? How bad was the damage to the bumper?
      01-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
acherny

Drives: 2013 328 X-Drive Sport

Similar thing happened to me, rear-ended by someone who was on the phone.

Bumper skin and the support replaced at an authorized BMW repair shop; results were flawless.
acherny is offline   Canada
      01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Thrillbilly
Rear Admiral

Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2013 335ix  [0.00]
My rear bumper is getting fixed tonight at a local body-shop...someone backed into me and put a decent dent in the bumper cover but no underlying damage. For a new bumper and the labor/spray it was going to be 1000 ($1300) but for them to remove the current bumper and fix is 300 ($400). The dealership would only do a replacement and not fix the current bumper (but the service guy was awesome and sent me to a place he knows that should do a good job matching the EBII). Didn't want to get insurance involved as someone hit me, didn't leave a note and my deductible is 1000.
Attached Images

Last edited by Thrillbilly; 01-24-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Thrillbilly is offline   Belgium