F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Can't get up the driveway!
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
Elk
Major
12
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Not a hill, an inclined driveway. My thinking, and i could be wrong(i live in florida...) is backing up a driveway in rwd for the same reason fwd is better in the snow. Instead of pushing the car, by backing up with rwd you are pulling the car up..if that makes sense
FWD often is better at getting moving in snow because FWD cars are front end heavy - the engine and entire driveline (tranny, diff, half-shafts, etc.) are in the front. RWD cars are more weight balanced merely as a consequence of design.

The RWD equivalent is loading the trunk with sand.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #24
shag
The Black Wagon Man
shag's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
460
Posts

 
Drives: '14 328xdT M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

All I have to say is...

lol, xDrive.
__________________

'14 328d xDrive Touring M Sport, BSM/CR.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #25
bcl0328
Major
38
Rep
1,158
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
try backing up the driveway?
that's why i was backwards.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
wdlv
First Lieutenant
wdlv's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line GS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
First snow and I can't even get up the driveway

You should workout more, haha, just kidding.

Get snow tires any you'll be fine. I live in the city and found it hard to justify but I do it primarily for safety (new baby) and plus this way I give the summer performance tires a rest for a few months (last a little longer). Even for the few days it snows it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
Ti335
Lieutenant
14
Rep
428
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasgotkids View Post
I live in a 'no snow' zone and when it did snow....it was awful. We'd just got the car (Dec) and switched the summer tires out for all seasons. I think summer tires are awful all around in a rainy climate like here (Seattle) The all seasons aren't much better in snow so when it does snow an inch, I just take the mini
Actually, summer tires are typically much better in the rain than all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
17
Rep
1,748
Posts

 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
FWD often is better at getting moving in snow because FWD cars are front end heavy - the engine and entire driveline (tranny, diff, half-shafts, etc.) are in the front. RWD cars are more weight balanced merely as a consequence of design.

The RWD equivalent is loading the trunk with sand.
Add to that the fact that ratio in reverse is pretty steep. Too much torque, not enough weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #29
jtuds
Major
Canada
28
Rep
1,064
Posts

 
Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 1.5-2 hrs west of Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Haha. I'm only laughing because you didn't crash. Also cos I immediately thought of this video.

Love that vid
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #30
PK2348
Private
4
Rep
97
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
First snow and I can't even get up the driveway
you did turn off the traction control, right? that does not look like a lot of snow, but maybe just it appears that way on the pic
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 05:34 AM   #31
PrinceBarin
Major
17
Rep
1,279
Posts

 
Drives: 430D
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i
I just installed winters on mine yesterday.. the summer tires were shit even just in the cold bad enough snow.
+1

Think "winter tyres" rather than snow tyres. Unless the temperature stays comfortably above freezing all year round, you should switch during the colder months (winter tyres are recommended below 7 degrees C). The cost is marginal in the long-term (your summer / all-seasons will last longer) but it's way safer in cold, wet or freezing conditions.

Plus, you get to snub all the RWD haters when the snow starts coming down!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #32
bcl0328
Major
38
Rep
1,158
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
you did turn off the traction control, right? that does not look like a lot of snow, but maybe just it appears that way on the pic
i tried just about everything. going in forward, reverse, eco pro, comfort, sport, sport+, hitting DSC button, holding the button, going fast, going slow. it was just so slippery.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
vern
Private First Class
2
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
i tried just about everything. going in forward, reverse, eco pro, comfort, sport, sport+, hitting DSC button, holding the button, going fast, going slow. it was just so slippery.
Judging by the picture your wheels are turned not straight. You could even have problems with snow tires.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #34
Tsuvoi
Banned
6
Rep
272
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Just put your wife in the trunk and you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #35
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Had a couple inches of snow and freezing rain today. This is my driveway, 200+ft and a pretty steep incline.


Today the Dunlop Sport M3's got me up no problem!
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #36
F30AM
Brigadier General
F30AM's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
4,228
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Had a couple inches of snow and freezing rain today. This is my driveway, 200+ft and a pretty steep incline.


Today the Dunlop Sport M3's got me up no problem!
It's a long road. Now I can pinpoint where you live and pay you a visit.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #37
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
It's a long road. Now I can pinpoint where you live and pay you a visit.
LOL, hey if you are that determined, a beer and a friendly Springer Spaniel will be waiting to greet you.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #38
F30AM
Brigadier General
F30AM's Avatar
United Kingdom
71
Rep
4,228
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
LOL, hey if you are that determined, a beer and a friendly Springer Spaniel will be waiting to greet you.
That's so welcoming. I love Springer Spaniels. My favourite. I wish I could transport my 330d M Sport across for our two cars to bond!
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #39
bcl0328
Major
38
Rep
1,158
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Judging by the picture your wheels are turned not straight. You could even have problems with snow tires.
cheers
vern
in the pic yes, while i was trying to get up, no.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #40
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
That's so welcoming. I love Springer Spaniels. My favourite. I wish I could transport my 330d M Sport across for our two cars to bond!
LOL.

Pic-sorry to the OP to be so off-topic.

__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #41
Minimaul
Oh! Snap!
Minimaul's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328xi, e36 M3/4/5
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoth

iTrader: (0)

Time to buy a new driveway, duh.
__________________
:0
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #42
JoeyO
Lieutenant
United_States
24
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: silver car
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Engine weight placement isn't the only difference between RWD and FWD. There's different frictional dynamics associated with "push" verses "pull". A 15' long wooden 2 x 4 will want to wiggle and squirm more when pushed up an incline, verses pulling it up an incline.

So putting cinderblocks in the truck will only help to a certain degree. You stil have to deal with the pushing motion.

Last edited by JoeyO; 01-28-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #43
rconti
Lieutenant
6
Rep
515
Posts

 
Drives: Z3 M Coupe, NB Miata
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
FWD often is better at getting moving in snow because FWD cars are front end heavy - the engine and entire driveline (tranny, diff, half-shafts, etc.) are in the front. RWD cars are more weight balanced merely as a consequence of design.

The RWD equivalent is loading the trunk with sand.
This. FWD cars are often 65% weight over the front axle, because it's engine, transmission, diff, etc, all up front. RWD cars are closer to 50/50 because the diff is in the back, and some driveline parts help balance the car.

The *only* reason FWD cars are in *any* way better in the snow is due to the additional weight over the drive wheels. This can be achieved in RWD by throwing weight in the trunk.

Note that when you climb a hill with a car, the weight shifts rearwards, so FWD loses its advantage the steeper the hill gets, and RWD gets closer to parity.

Starting with 'only' 50% of your weight over the rear wheels, then backing up a hill, is the worst of both worlds. Now you've got (say) 45% of the weight over the drive wheels.

One major advantage of RWD in poor weather is you aren't trying to accelerate and steer with the same wheels. It sucks when you're driving FWD in slippery conditions, turning slightly, and suddenly the wheels break lose.. now you have no forward drive OR steering.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #44
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
17
Rep
1,748
Posts

 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Engine weight placement isn't the only difference between RWD and FWD. There's different frictional dynamics associated with "push" verses "pull". A 15' long wooden 2 x 4 will want to wiggle and squirm more when pushed up an incline, verses pulling it up an incline.

So putting cinderblocks in the truck will only help to a certain degree. You stil have to deal with the pushing motion.
I see your point, but it doesn't really apply here. The issue isn't the 2 x 4 itself in your example, but the motivational force trying to move the 2 x 4. It's easier to push something up a hill when traction is limited than it is to pull it up the same hill. Weight transfer is a far more significant factor than the friction of the object you're moving.

And besides, the car is on wheels. Friction is essentially zero. In fact, friction IS zero in this case. Thus the reason for the thread in the first place...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST