F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Music and the Hard Drive questions
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
bizzyqu
Lieutenant
10
Rep
468
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Music and the Hard Drive questions

Can you get album art to show up by adding the music through USB or burning cds, what is the best way to add music to the harddrive (ipod is not an option)
__________________
07 E83 BSM Sport-->10 E90 335i xDrive BSM M-Sport-->(current) 13 F30 335i xDrive EBII M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
11
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South West

iTrader: (0)

I've found that the hard drive is just too much of a PITA to be bothered with. It doesn't display album art, and there is no easy way to delete or add files to it without a complete wipe and re-import.

Once I discovered this I just bought one of the tiny USB drives and plugged it into the centre console socket - you can hardly even see it. Oh look, album art available and it's dead easy to add/delete music, change album art, MP3 tags, create play lists, etc. Job done.

Why BMW made such a pig's ear of the hard drive media software is a mystery to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
bizzyqu
Lieutenant
10
Rep
468
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
I've found that the hard drive is just too much of a PITA to be bothered with. It doesn't display album art, and there is no easy way to delete or add files to it without a complete wipe and re-import.

Once I discovered this I just bought one of the tiny USB drives and plugged it into the centre console socket - you can hardly even see it. Oh look, album art available and it's dead easy to add/delete music, change album art, MP3 tags, create play lists, etc. Job done.

Why BMW made such a pig's ear of the hard drive media software is a mystery to me.
so a flash drive will do it then, do you have to set up the files in a particular way to get album art, search by artist, etc?
__________________
07 E83 BSM Sport-->10 E90 335i xDrive BSM M-Sport-->(current) 13 F30 335i xDrive EBII M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
TheObviousChild
First Lieutenant
TheObviousChild's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
363
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335xi - M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Broomfield, CO

iTrader: (0)

Flash drive is def the way to go. I got a small profile 32GB for about $20.

I am curious though why album art showing up is rare. And even when it does, sometimes it pops in and out, switching to the artist/album info.
__________________
2013 BMW 335xi EBII over Coral Red / ///M sport / Premium / Cold Weather / 6MT / Nav / Dynamic Handling / HK audio
Previous: 2010 328i / MT
Previous: 2007 328i / AT (boo)
Previous: 2004 325i / MT
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzyqu View Post
so a flash drive will do it then?
As TheObviousChild says, it certainly is.

For example, do you use iTunes/Amazon MP3/Google Play? If so just copy over your entire iTunes/Amazon/Google music folder to the USB and job's a good 'un. Select External Devices and you've got all your music sorted correctly and with album art.

As far as searching is concerned I've never bothered. It seems overly complicated to me. Just click on search and it will list all the artists alphabetically. Scroll to find what you want.

However, I am quite anal about tags/info/art etc and I do tend to run my media through Bliss.

Note: I'm in the UK and this is my experience with Pro Media in an '11 E91 and Business Media/Pro Media in a '12 F31.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
11
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South West

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzyqu View Post
so a flash drive will do it then, do you have to set up the files in a particular way to get album art, search by artist, etc?
I just have top level folders which are the artist names, with sub-folders named as the albums. I mainly use MediaMonkey to get the album art or adjust tags if needed. Make sure that you embed the album art into the MP3 files, it won't work if you have it as a separate file. Using this setup I've never had album art fail to display, and everything works great.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
bizzyqu
Lieutenant
10
Rep
468
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
I just have top level folders which are the artist names, with sub-folders named as the albums. I mainly use MediaMonkey to get the album art or adjust tags if needed. Make sure that you embed the album art into the MP3 files, it won't work if you have it as a separate file. Using this setup I've never had album art fail to display, and everything works great.
If I see the album art on the songs in the file explorer on windows, is it safe to say the art is embedded?
__________________
07 E83 BSM Sport-->10 E90 335i xDrive BSM M-Sport-->(current) 13 F30 335i xDrive EBII M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
9
Rep
311
Posts

 
Drives: Evolution
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Question about how to insert the album art into the mp3? Not sure how this is done through iTunes or anything else. I use a 32 gig thumb drive as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
11
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South West

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzyqu View Post
If I see the album art on the songs in the file explorer on windows, is it safe to say the art is embedded?
I reckon so, seems to be the case for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
bizzyqu
Lieutenant
10
Rep
468
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
I reckon so, seems to be the case for me.
So I guess my zune and its software has been good for something haha
__________________
07 E83 BSM Sport-->10 E90 335i xDrive BSM M-Sport-->(current) 13 F30 335i xDrive EBII M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
TSiSPY007
Private
2
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335i;03 1.8T Avant;96 4G63
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: BC, CANADA

iTrader: (0)

I still can't seem to get album art to display on the nav screen... I'm using a Patriot Autobahn 32G drive in the center armrest USB connection. I tried using the program taghycardia to embed the track info as someone suggested in another thread (can't find that thread right now). All I see on the nav screen are the tracks of the album with a check mark beside the track being played and a thin red rectangle framing the name of the track, but no album art... it's like this for all the songs on the USB drive. Help! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Can you post up a pic of what you're seeing?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
bizzyqu
Lieutenant
10
Rep
468
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

I used mp3Tag if that helps
__________________
07 E83 BSM Sport-->10 E90 335i xDrive BSM M-Sport-->(current) 13 F30 335i xDrive EBII M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
electronutsie
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: Mini Cooper
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moscow

iTrader: (0)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiSPY007 View Post
I still can't seem to get album art to display on the nav screen... I'm using a Patriot Autobahn 32G drive in the center armrest USB connection. I tried using the program taghycardia to embed the track info as someone suggested in another thread (can't find that thread right now). All I see on the nav screen are the tracks of the album with a check mark beside the track being played and a thin red rectangle framing the name of the track, but no album art... it's like this for all the songs on the USB drive. Help! Thanks.
Hi, I'm the author of taghycardia. Could you write to taghycardia@yandex.ru with a more detailed description of your problem and possibly a sample mp3 file you tried to autotag with the program?

For taghycardia to discover and embed art in your mp3s, both "Auto fix cover art" and "Use Cover Art from Discogs" options must be on. Still, whenever the utility is unable to find art for a folder, it displays the corresponding warning. When this is the case, one can either try getting art using taghycardia's internal tag editor or put an image into the folder manually, and then rescan it with taghycardia; the program then would find and embed the image automatically.

Last edited by electronutsie; 03-03-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #15
ejholt
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: Viper
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South China, ME

iTrader: (0)

How much space is dedicated to music on the internal hard drive?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #16
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,804
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejholt View Post
How much space is dedicated to music on the internal hard drive?
On the CIC Nav based cars it's about 12GB.

On the newer NBT Nav based cars, I think it's 20GB.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
jmg
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
On the CIC Nav based cars it's about 12GB.

On the newer NBT Nav based cars, I think it's 20GB.
How can you tell which one you have?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,804
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
How can you tell which one you have?
New nav looks like this:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691510

If you are in the US and don't have the AH3 or the F31, then you have the current (non-new) nav.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST