F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Maybe I should have got the Adaptive Sport Suspension... :(
TAG Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #45
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 4,109
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
No and I also don't have a diesel.
Oh dear. You're missing out on two counts.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #46
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel
 
snowghost's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,838
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Oh dear. You're missing out on two counts.
Don't tell me you have the Auto tranny too. LOL
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
snowghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #47
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 4,109
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Don't tell me you have the Auto tranny too. LOL
'Course I do as auto is standard! A manual tranny will fall to bits with the high torque levels.

Now, is there anything else but an 8-speed sporting tranny to speedily and seamlessly shift a high torque 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel BMW with style towards the horizon? For me, not.

My first auto and I'll never, ever go manual again. I even have paddles which I love to bits. It's everything for a modern motoring experience. I just cannot go back to a clunking manual tranny. So last Tuesday.

Oh, ETTO.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #48
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 4,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Between which two settings? Sport and Comfort are very different on my car.
Sport and comfort.
__________________
NISFAN is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #49
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel
 
snowghost's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,838
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
'Course I do! Is there anything else but an 8-speed sporting tranny to speedily and seamlessly shift a high torque 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel BMW with style towards the horizon? For me not.

My first auto and I'll never, ever go manual again. I even have paddles which I love to bits. It's everything for a modern motoring experience. I just cannot go back to a clunking manual tranny. So last Tuesday.

Oh, ETTO.
Amen Brother!
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
snowghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #50
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 4,109
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Amen Brother!
Amen to thee too my BMW Brother!
May the light of Heaven shine upon us!
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #51
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Although I have nothing negative to say about Adaptive suspension, I wish I hadn't ordered it. There isn't a huge difference between the two settings, and I prefer Sport setting in just about all situations.
Well I stand corrected. To me I can tell big time but then again I push my car hard.
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #52
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 4,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Well I stand corrected. To me I can tell big time but then again I push my car hard.
So do I that's exactly why I like it on SPORT all the time, so the comfort setting is useless.
__________________
NISFAN is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #53
Id
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: VW Golf R
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
'Course I do as auto is standard! A manual tranny will fall to bits with the high torque levels.

Now, is there anything else but an 8-speed sporting tranny to speedily and seamlessly shift a high torque 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel BMW with style towards the horizon? For me, not.

My first auto and I'll never, ever go manual again. I even have paddles which I love to bits. It's everything for a modern motoring experience. I just cannot go back to a clunking manual tranny. So last Tuesday.

Oh, ETTO.
I'm struggling with this choice at the mo.

I have a manual Golf R so resisted the DSG lure but now I'm not so sure...
Id is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #54
jamesems
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 388
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
So do I that's exactly why I like it on SPORT all the time, so the comfort setting is useless.
This.

Exactly why i didnt get adaptive. That and I knew i would be swapping the suspension out with the performance suspension, for me there wasn't a point.
jamesems is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #55
MarkW83
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Remember that adaptive - in Sport mode - is stiffer and more controlled than the normal M Sport suspension, so even if you don't use the Comfort mode, having the Adaptive in Sport will still give you better performance.

I was also expecting a bigger difference between the two modes, I was hoping Comfort would be even softer than it is; but overall I'm pretty happy with the two modes, and I'm glad I got it.
__________________
F30 330d M Sport Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Pro Nav/Visibility Pack/Comfort Pack/Harman Kardon/Head-Up Display/Electric Seats/Comfort Access/Adaptive Suspension...
MarkW83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #56
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel
 
snowghost's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,838
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Remember that adaptive - in Sport mode - is stiffer and more controlled than the normal M Sport suspension, so even if you don't use the Comfort mode, having the Adaptive in Sport will still give you better performance.

I was also expecting a bigger difference between the two modes, I was hoping Comfort would be even softer than it is; but overall I'm pretty happy with the two modes, and I'm glad I got it.
Everybody keeps saying it's stiffer anecdotally, but I've not seen any real data.

BTW how much is the Performance Suspension?
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
snowghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #57
jamesems
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 388
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Everybody keeps saying it's stiffer anecdotally, but I've not seen any real data.

BTW how much is the Performance Suspension?
About 1500 plus install. I really like it.
jamesems is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #58
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel
 
snowghost's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,838
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesems View Post
About 1500 plus install. I really like it.
Very tempting. Does the Dealer have to do it? edit: and what's a good price for the install?
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|LCSW|ZDH|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|5AC|4 15|688|Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
snowghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #59
rado
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Duxbury, MA

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Everybody keeps saying it's stiffer anecdotally, but I've not seen any real data.

BTW how much is the Performance Suspension?
Pretty tough to get data considering the increase in stiffness is due to the valving in the shock, not the springs. You could pull a front and rear shock each from a "sport" and adaptive sport model, mount each (in turn) in a shock dyno, and somehow rig the electronic valve adjustment for the "adaptive" shocks (any volunteers ), but even then all you would get is the damping curves for static valve settings, whereas the shock valving is continuously adjusted when in use. Back-to-back drives on the same course with all else same (including tires) is the most practical way to compare, but of course that's subjective.
__________________
-Ed
2013 F30 328i M Sport
2008 Lotus Exige S240
rado is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #60
jamesems
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 388
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Very tempting. Does the Dealer have to do it? edit: and what's a good price for the install?
An independent can install but that might affect your warranty with regard to suspension. Probably not a big deal. It's a standard spring and shock swap. BMW suggests 8hours install time in their material. So a dealer cost could be 1000-2000 to install. 500 or so for an independent
jamesems is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #61
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Everybody keeps saying it's stiffer anecdotally, but I've not seen any real data.

BTW how much is the Performance Suspension?
You don't need raw data. Drive both and go with what you like. I drove a Sportline, M Sport, and then a Modern with Adaptive. The Adaptive to me feels stiffer in Sport then the other two. Beside that and the Quick Ratio steering to me is much better.
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #62
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 4,109
iTrader: (0)

'Passive M Sport Suspension' lowers the ride height by 10 mm and has a harder ride than 'Passive Standard Suspension'. With the former, the car rolls less when cornering and feels more sporty and planted.

'M Sport Adaptive Suspension' has the same 10 mm lowered ride height as 'Passive M Sport Suspension'.

'M Sport Adaptive Suspension' in 'Comfort Mode' has a smoother ride than 'Passive Standard Suspension'. The car rolls less when cornering thereby feeling more sporty and planted.

'M Sport Adaptive Suspension' in 'Sport Mode' has a harder ride than 'Passive M Sport Suspension'. The car rolls less when cornering with the former and feels more sporty and planted.

There is a difference between 'Comfort Mode' and 'Sport Mode', but it is not excessive. 'Comfort Mode' provides a less jarring ride and is my preferred setting on our terrible UK roads.

IMO, 'M Sport Adaptive Suspension' provides the driver with a win-win situation.

My car runs on 18" wheels.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #63
Bman925
Private
 
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: US

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
Seen it? You seem to have it!! I just picked mine back up 10 minutes ago. Love it! Looks like you got the whole kit. I'd like to check out that rear diffuser.

Sorry to be a bit off topic but what color is your car? It looks too dark of a blue to be estoril but maybe its the light thats reflecting in an odd way. :P
Bman925 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #64
roadcarver
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 13 e82 135i /13 F30 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tellico, TN

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

I can tell a good difference between comfort and sport setting. After test driving a sportline 335i I was a little disappointed in the cars suspension in hard cornering and transistion response. I felt as though it did not handle as well as my e92 sport package. Driving an m adaptive car changed that opinion completely. The sport setting brought the handling back to what I expected while maintaining a much smoother ride than my e92. It is the best of both worlds. At first it will fool you into believing the suspension is soft because it is so smooth but once you start pushing hard in the corners you realize it is still the same great performer. I would not have bought the car without m adaptive. I respect that some might not feel this way as their daily drives might not involve twisty mountain roads as mine does. Our 335is kind of a stripper in that it only has m sport,heated seats,dynamic handling and maual transmission, but it still drives like a world class automobile.
roadcarver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #65
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 4,109
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman925 View Post
Sorry to be a bit off topic but what color is your car? It looks too dark of a blue to be estoril but maybe its the light thats reflecting in an odd way. :P
Congratulations! The most off topic post ever!
Adjust your computer screen. THAT IS EBII.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #66
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 4,109
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
I can tell a good difference between comfort and sport setting. After test driving a sportline 335i I was a little disappointed in the cars suspension in hard cornering and transistion response. I felt as though it did not handle as well as my e92 sport package. Driving an m adaptive car changed that opinion completely. The sport setting brought the handling back to what I expected while maintaining a much smoother ride than my e92. It is the best of both worlds. At first it will fool you into believing the suspension is soft because it is so smooth but once you start pushing hard in the corners you realize it is still the same great performer. I would not have bought the car without m adaptive. I respect that some might not feel this way as their daily drives might not involve twisty mountain roads as mine does. Our 335is kind of a stripper in that it only has m sport,heated seats,dynamic handling and maual transmission, but it still drives like a world class automobile.
Nicely put. I agree with you wholeheartedly. M Sport Adaptive Suspension rules. Just love it to bits.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST