F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Loss of Power Malfunction
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (1)

Loss of Power Malfunction

The problem described below has occurred now three times, with the most recent event being this morning.

Symptoms: Loss of power/dead throttle (power loss is present irrespective of driving mode [i.e., Sport+, EcoPro, etc.]); Heard the cooling components/fans in the engine bay working overtime (very loud); Vibrating/pulsating steering wheel at idle; NO ERROR messages).

Below is a detailed account of what happened the first time I experienced the problem. The first time the power loss occurred was after a loss of traction event. The second and third times I experienced the power loss/dead throttle, there was no preceding traction loss event.

The problem seems to go away after I shut the engine off and restart it. However, the last two times I have done that, I have received an "Adaptive headlight malfunction" error message upon restart.

I am taking the car to the dealer on Wednesday but in the meantime, any thoughts, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was on my way home today, driving in Comfort mode, when all of a sudden I noticed that I could feel my steering wheel pulsating.

The pulse started out as very minimal, but noticeable. However, over time, the pulsating became more severe (noticeable at idle as well).

Next, I noticed that the engine started to sound like it was working overtime. This was maybe 2-3 minutes after I noticed the pulsating steering wheel. For example, I could hear what sounded like a cooling fan straining. It sounded as if I had just tracked the car on a 110 degree day.

Finally, the throttle went almost completely dead. If I mashed the pedal to the floor in Comfort, Sport, or Sport Plus, the car accelerated as if I was lightly applying the throttle in EcoPro.

No warning lights, codes, etc. Loud engine, pulsating steering wheel, nearly completely dead throttle.

Completely baffling. Once I got to a point at which I could safely pull over, I did so and shut the engine off. Upon restart, everything seemed fine but at that point I was less than a mile from home.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
Koca
New Member
 
Drives: In the factory
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Could be a thermostat issue - the cars computer could be thinking the engine is getting too hot so to prevent any damage, it cuts the power
Koca is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koca View Post
Could be a thermostat issue - the cars computer could be thinking the engine is getting too hot so to prevent any damage, it cuts the power
Interesting. I hadn't considered that. That would explain the power being cut and the fan going crazy. Pulsating steering wheel and light malfunction components still have me puzzled.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
mocohead
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 328i (ED)/ 2011 328i (ED)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

weather conditions?
mocohead is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
weather conditions?
Once in the rain. Twice in bone dry conditions. Temperature has never been above 45 degrees.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
john08135i
Major
 
john08135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando

Posts: 1,014
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to john08135i
Same happened to me today..
Light rain 70degres.

Floored it up an on ramp thru two gears and then BAM.. limp mode.. iDrive shows drivetrain malfunction car lost power when i gave it gas car would shake.. turned it off and back on and its fine...

better not keep happening.
__________________
M Sport Line Estoril Blue
john08135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
mocohead
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 328i (ED)/ 2011 328i (ED)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

OP I was wondering if it could have been related to FEM issues people are encountering, hence the weather question. Any other odd electrical symptoms?

Have you noticed any change in fuel economy? Is the car cranking longer than normal to start?

All of my previous 335i's encountered similar symptoms, although they were N54 cars. Without fail it was related to HPFP's and injectors. Whether or not that is your issue can only be determined by having a dealer read the codes. I do recommend having that done.

I sincerely hope it is none of the above! Sorry you all are experiencing this issue but I look forward to hearing what codes were stored. Best of luck!!!
mocohead is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,495
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
I've had the fan issue and dead throttle happen to me. Fan goes on full blast and throttle feels numb. I also noticed the engine temp stuck on the left side. Happened three times already. I'm thinking its thermostat as well but also wondering what else it could be

No codes thrown and restart of car it went away. Car has 500 mls on it
ES_TRADER is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
Same happened to me today..
Light rain 70degres.

Floored it up an on ramp thru two gears and then BAM.. limp mode.. iDrive shows drivetrain malfunction car lost power when i gave it gas car would shake.. turned it off and back on and its fine...

better not keep happening.
Your problem sounds different than mine in that when my throttle died, no codes were thrown.

Good luck getting your issue resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
OP I was wondering if it could have been related to FEM issues people are encountering, hence the weather question. Any other odd electrical symptoms?

Have you noticed any change in fuel economy? Is the car cranking longer than normal to start?

All of my previous 335i's encountered similar symptoms, although they were N54 cars. Without fail it was related to HPFP's and injectors. Whether or not that is your issue can only be determined by having a dealer read the codes. I do recommend having that done.

I sincerely hope it is none of the above! Sorry you all are experiencing this issue but I look forward to hearing what codes were stored. Best of luck!!!
Thanks! My fuel economy continues to increase. No long cranks either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
I've had the fan issue and dead throttle happen to me. Fan goes on full blast and throttle feels numb. I also noticed the engine temp stuck on the left side. Happened three times already. I'm thinking its thermostat as well but also wondering what else it could be

No codes thrown and restart of car it went away. Car has 500 mls on it
Well my dealer found the problem today.

I can't remember the name of the failed component my SA said that it was "toast."

The dealer ordered the replacement part and will be installing it tomorrow. I'll update the thread when I figure exactly what was wrong.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
alpinweiss 335i
Brigadier General
 
alpinweiss 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 f30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast USA

Posts: 3,149
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 f30 335i  [5.00]
2012 e92 M3  [5.00]
2013 f30 335i  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [5.00]
2003 e46 330xi  [4.00]
Roh Noh! Subscribed!
__________________
e46
e90
f30
e92 ///M

f30
alpinweiss 335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (1)

Well the culprit was a faulty/busted electric cooling fan. Pretty much had failed in every way conceivable.

Just got my car back and wow did it feel strong.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
s1k0ne
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: ..
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

same thing happened to me today!
__________________
F30 335i 6MT// modified
s1k0ne is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1k0ne View Post
same thing happened to me today!
Take it to the dealer and have them check out your electric cooling fan.

They were able to do some code-reading and even though my car did not display any error messages when it got toasted the first time around, they showed me some pretty interesting/devastating data.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
s1k0ne
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: ..
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

what data?
__________________
F30 335i 6MT// modified
s1k0ne is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
mocohead
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 328i (ED)/ 2011 328i (ED)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

PHEW! Great news OP! I am really happy to hear it was nothing serious.
mocohead is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
Mak135i
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Z4 3.5is, 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 312
iTrader: (2)

Same thing seemed to happen to my car yesterday, so I hooked up my BT cable and sure enough...electric fan fault code. will take to dealer tomorrow and see what they say. There was also a fault code in the transmission area: "Forced up-shift related to cooling and driving condition..." Probably related to the fan issue
__________________
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 BMW135i Vert
Gone but not forgotten: 2011 MB C63 AMG

Added: 335i, BSM/BLK, M-sport, Sp. Auto, Prem, Tech, HK, 19", lots of Plastidip, H&R Sport, 245/255 Ventus V12
Mak135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Dinh335
Captain
 
Drives: 2004 RX8/2013 335 MSPORT 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arlington VA

Posts: 647
iTrader: (0)

When were your cars built? Wondering if this is still a potential issue or happening in late 2012' MY2013 cars too?
__________________
2013 335i Mineral Grey MSPORT 6MT/*M PERF POWER KIT* first on the forum!/
PREM/DAKOTA BLACK LEATHER/BURL/TECH/HEATED SEATS
Dinh335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (1)

Mine was an August 2012 build.

My brakes are squealing again (after already having been replaced twice).

My electric cooling fan also malfunctioned again (after already having been replaced once).

My dealer has been in contact with BMW regarding buying this car back. What I will do next remains a mystery to me. Another M-Sport 335i? C63? S4?
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
 
johnofcross's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 301
iTrader: (0)

Wow this happened to me yesterday, and I'm also an August 2012 build for a MY13. If it happens again, I'll take it to the dealer. Should I wait till another incident, or just go now and get it looked at? Also have the squealing brakes so I might turn it in for both.
__________________
2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 19" 403M|6MT|Dynamic Handling|Tech Package|Coral Red Leather|Park Distance Control|Harmon Kardon
johnofcross is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross
Wow this happened to me yesterday, and I'm also an August 2012 build for a MY13. If it happens again, I'll take it to the dealer. Should I wait till another incident, or just go now and get it looked at? Also have the squealing brakes so I might turn it in for both.
Take it to the dealer so a record of this malfunction can continue to be built up.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #21
impossiblesrock
BRAR_///M
 
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orange County

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

This happened to me tonight! I just got my 335i msport last night and it had 100 miles on it because it was a dealer trade and had to drive down from the Ventura area to Orange County. So I was driving normally from a stoplight then acceleration basically became limp and the fan started going really loud. This happened twice within 20 minutes.

I am going to turn it into the dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. I just hope the first 100 miles on the car werent too harsh. Also my car pulls to the right when I let go of the steering wheel and has a slight vibration from around 40-60 mph. I have the dynamic handling package so Im thinking it has something to do with that. Anyone else have that problem?

I love this car to death but these problems are definitely putting a damper on my excitement
impossiblesrock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #22
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,538
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossiblesrock View Post
This happened to me tonight! I just got my 335i msport last night and it had 100 miles on it because it was a dealer trade and had to drive down from the Ventura area to Orange County. So I was driving normally from a stoplight then acceleration basically became limp and the fan started going really loud. This happened twice within 20 minutes.

I am going to turn it into the dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. I just hope the first 100 miles on the car werent too harsh. Also my car pulls to the right when I let go of the steering wheel and has a slight vibration from around 40-60 mph. I have the dynamic handling package so Im thinking it has something to do with that. Anyone else have that problem?

I love this car to death but these problems are definitely putting a damper on my excitement
BMW is buying my car back. My electric cooling fan has crapped out twice. The brakes still squeal (worse than ever now, after 5,000 miles and two complete rear brake replacements). They want to order me another car in - identical to the one I have. Not too excited about that option at this point.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST