F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330D MS Vs 330D MS X Drive
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys83 View Post
Tbh Dave I was struggling to get that feeling the back may go but maybe I'm getting on a bit with young kids and all I haven't really tried that aspect.

As for the round about yes foot down and she ain't budging! Overtook a car on the B roads today not a problem!

Honestly if the extra isn't too much of an inconvenience go for it, I was unsure initially so spoke to the dealer and they gave me the demo motor overnight so I could see the differences. They knew what they were doing! I LOVED it!!!
That sounds like JC's aye best not sideways with you kids in the back. We will have you doing incar footage next tempting you to explore new angles with you new motor like Dave said give it wellie out of roundabout , thanks again for the info
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
Daveyc
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bristol

Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

Sounds good!

OK, one more thing on the list for me to look out for in 18 months time :-)
Daveyc is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #25
Andys83
Private First Class
 
Drives: 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Aberdeen

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

It's great but if your unsure as I said speak to the dealers about a prolonged test drive! You're spending the guts of 40k on a car after all!!
Andys83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #26
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys83 View Post
It's great but if your unsure as I said speak to the dealers about a prolonged test drive! You're spending the guts of 40k on a car after all!!
Yes I think this will be a must to get the feel of it,thanks
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #27
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys83 View Post
Northern wastes!

Cheeky bugger, just because your not allowed in gods country!!!!

I should have said Wild FROZEN Northern Wastes!
Get an xDrive and it will seem like the Lovely, Warm, Temperate, Sunny South.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #28
Rhino at Work
Private
 
Rhino at Work's Avatar
 
Drives: EBII F30 330d xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Wow when i thought the decision could not get any harder up pops another option, any members with knowledge of the X Drive system and anyone drove the 320 X Drive back to Back with RWD to compare handling , also any reviews to compare yet. What is people opinion on a FWD BMW and how much more useful it would be in NE Scotland.
I feel the car will hold is value with X drive for the novelty value for a while, but will it add anything other than increased traction, and will this detract from the enjoyment of RWD.
Thanks BMW just when i was settled on 330D Auto after fighting my heart strings to cling to manual box, then they give me more options.
Derek,

Lots of opinions on here already but I thought I'd add mine. I had BMWs for 15 years, my last one being an E90 325d auto which was just awful in the bad winter of 2010/11. For a change I bought an A4 quatttro with the 3.0 TDI engine.

Whilst there is nothing essentially wrong with this car it just isn't a BMW. Where it does win hand down though is the 4WD. It's as if you get two cars for the price of one. In summer I love the way the system pulls you round corners as if you are on rails. It's different to BMW RWD and, of course, it's just a matter of opinion but I prefer it. In winter (and I go the whole hog and put on winter tyres) the grip and traction is just incredible - if you're currently driving a BMW auto on standard tyres you just wouldn't believe it.

So for all those reasons I would suggest that a 330d Xdrive would be a fantastic car for you. It's certainly top of my shopping list.
Rhino at Work is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
///ajd
Colonel
 
///ajd's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330d Touring
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...

Posts: 2,297
iTrader: (1)

I think the time is right for the 3er 4wd to become really mainstream popular - in a way it never has in previous incarnations.

I would certainly hunt out an F31 xdrive over an F31 rwd given the choice; I do hope they end up being popular as I suspect they will be - especially when I want to swap into a 1-2 year old F31 in a 2015.

So I would ask that you all spec xdrive 330d f31s m sports, with lots of toys - prof media, heated memory seats and pano roof, but please resist the red leather and white paint! And give them away for buttons after 20,000 miles.....
__________________
E91 330d Touring M Sport Auto 2006
225M 19" MV4 + Falken 453
M3 270M 18" rims + Vred Wintrac Extremes
100,000 miles
///ajd is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #30
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Derek,

Lots of opinions on here already but I thought I'd add mine. I had BMWs for 15 years, my last one being an E90 325d auto which was just awful in the bad winter of 2010/11. For a change I bought an A4 quatttro with the 3.0 TDI engine.

Whilst there is nothing essentially wrong with this car it just isn't a BMW. Where it does win hand down though is the 4WD. It's as if you get two cars for the price of one. In summer I love the way the system pulls you round corners as if you are on rails. It's different to BMW RWD and, of course, it's just a matter of opinion but I prefer it. In winter (and I go the whole hog and put on winter tyres) the grip and traction is just incredible - if you're currently driving a BMW auto on standard tyres you just wouldn't believe it.

So for all those reasons I would suggest that a 330d Xdrive would be a fantastic car for you. It's certainly top of my shopping list.
Thanks for your comment one of the important things for me is it is still sporty and fun to drive but practical as well did I just say that practical I must be getting old
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
Andys83
Private First Class
 
Drives: 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Aberdeen

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
I should have said Wild FROZEN Northern Wastes!
Get an xDrive and it will seem like the Lovely, Warm, Temperate, Sunny South.
You must be locked up in your Souther hut just now as Armageddon has arrived your way!!! What is it 2-4 cm of snow!!! STOP!!!! Motorways and airports must close!!!

If only you had an xdrive 3 series!!
Andys83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #32
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Any others got an X Drive yet
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #33
JRINNS
Private First Class
 
JRINNS's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Any X drives for a test yet, suppose its no different to a normal 330d?

Im ordering a new car in the next week, had a drive of a Audi A6 Avant BiTDI, its was pretty fast with 313ps.

After coming from a 3 Series, im not sure I want to leave the brand, got the Wife an A5 cab last week and its a manual. The pedals are offset and a mare.


Decisions......

Update.. need to update the sig as both went at xmas...
__________________
BMW E90 325i MSport 146000 and counting - Gone and will be missed.
Range Rover Evoque White Dynamic - Gone
Audi A5 Cab
+ 1 more undecided.
JRINNS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #34
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRINNS View Post
Any X drives for a test yet, suppose its no different to a normal 330d?
Im ordering a new car in the next week, had a drive of a Audi A6 Avant BiTDI, its was pretty fast with 313ps.
After coming from a 3 Series, im not sure I want to leave the brand, got the Wife an A5 cab last week and its a manual. The pedals are offset and a mare.
Decisions......
Update.. need to update the sig as both went at xmas...
So, what cars do you have in your household now?
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #35
JRINNS
Private First Class
 
JRINNS's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
So, what cars do you have in your household now?
White Audi A5 Cab Sline 2.0 TDI

And I'm loaning a Jag XJ 3.0 D S, I need something for work , I will probably put 100k on it in 5 years so its got to be right. Needs plenty of room as it will be the family bus now all the 4x4 are gone.

Test drove a 530d and it was great but the power of the A6 bitdi is the same price with the huge discount on offer.

Something niggling me though about the thought of leaving the BMW brand
__________________
BMW E90 325i MSport 146000 and counting - Gone and will be missed.
Range Rover Evoque White Dynamic - Gone
Audi A5 Cab
+ 1 more undecided.
JRINNS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #36
RichardM
Major
 
Drives: F31 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Herts UK

Posts: 1,474
iTrader: (1)

Sounds like the F30 would be too small for you mate if you are looking for a family bus. Even with the touring I have the boot isn't that big.
RichardM is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #37
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

JRINNS:

For 2WD Cars: How about a Mercedes CLS Shootingbrake. It's had a brilliant review in Autocar. Trumped the 5 Series Touring which came second. Equivalent Audi and Jaguar 3rd and last respectively. The Jaguar was a huge disappointment. It's not a very space efficient car anyway. Or, stick with a 330d M Sport.

For 4WD Cars: 330d xDrive M Sport, 330d xDrive Touring M Sport or a dreaded Audi Quattro. I personally don't like anything about Audis. Pity there is no xDrive 5 Series yet. Also, the 5 Series will be updated soon.

Or, a BMW X5 or the new Range Rover. Latter quite amazing and huge.

Glad you binned the Evoque. I think its design is challenging.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #38
JRINNS
Private First Class
 
JRINNS's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
JRINNS:

For 2WD Cars: How about a Mercedes CLS Shootingbrake. It's had a brilliant review in Autocar. Trumped the 5 Series Touring which came second. Equivalent Audi and Jaguar 3rd and last respectively. The Jaguar was a huge disappointment. It's not a very space efficient car anyway. Or, stick with a 330d M Sport.

For 4WD Cars: 330d xDrive M Sport, 330d xDrive Touring M Sport or a dreaded Audi Quattro. I personally don't like anything about Audis. Pity there is no xDrive 5 Series yet. Also, the 5 Series will be updated soon.

Or, a BMW X5 or the new Range Rover. Latter quite amazing and huge.

Glad you binned the Evoque. I think its design is challenging.
Done the 4x4 thing, had a q7 and sport. I think the shooting brake may be out my league re price and from what ive read the 350 engine is only around 260 bhp . I think for size and power 313ps i will find it hard to get the same bmw for the money as the offer i have for the audi. It would he a 530d which is fantastic but the Quattro is a bonus. It drives wheel and is comfortable but i yearn for an estoril blue 330d touring which is probably a little too small for two kids in the back as im 6'4 hence the 5 series and a6 for added rear leg room

I need one 4 wheel drive in the house just to ensure i earn if the weathers bad.

I tried ti get the wife into a crv but she was having none of it which would have allowed me a greater choice.
__________________
BMW E90 325i MSport 146000 and counting - Gone and will be missed.
Range Rover Evoque White Dynamic - Gone
Audi A5 Cab
+ 1 more undecided.
JRINNS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRINNS View Post
Done the 4x4 thing, had a q7 and sport. I think the shooting brake may be out my league re price and from what ive read the 350 engine is only around 260 bhp . I think for size and power 313ps i will find it hard to get the same bmw for the money as the offer i have for the audi. It would he a 530d which is fantastic but the Quattro is a bonus. It drives wheel and is comfortable but i yearn for an estoril blue 330d touring which is probably a little too small for two kids in the back as im 6'4 hence the 5 series and a6 for added rear leg room

I need one 4 wheel drive in the house just to ensure i earn if the weathers bad.

I tried ti get the wife into a crv but she was having none of it which would have allowed me a greater choice.
You should have initially got her into a Nissan Juke and when she refused, upgraded her to a Honda CRV or Skoda Yeti!

I'm 6'1'' and can get 3 grandkids 8,6 & 4 years into the back of my F30. Mind you it's cosy back there but good enough for them. If they complain, I threaten them with the VW Golf GTI. That shuts them up! They have to learn to rough it!

Cars bigger than an F30, I consider to be road hogs, which they are. I am being very socially aware as you can see!
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #40
JRINNS
Private First Class
 
JRINNS's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
You should have initially got her into a Nissan Juke and when she refused, upgraded her to a Honda CRV or Skoda Yeti!

I'm 6'1'' and can get 3 grandkids 8,6 & 4 years into the back of my F30. Mind you it's cosy back there but good enough for them. If they complain, I threaten them with the VW Golf GTI. That shuts them up! They have to learn to rough it!

Cars bigger than an F30, I consider to be road hogs, which they are. I am being very socially aware as you can see!
I tried a juke, she drove my mothers. That is the last time i think...
__________________
BMW E90 325i MSport 146000 and counting - Gone and will be missed.
Range Rover Evoque White Dynamic - Gone
Audi A5 Cab
+ 1 more undecided.
JRINNS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #41
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRINNS View Post
I tried a juke, she drove my mothers. That is the last time i think...
Oh dear, mother-in-law's car. That's a non-starter!
You spoil her. Treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen!

So, it seems it's going to be an Aldi household. Convenient for Warranty issues and Servicing.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #42
JRINNS
Private First Class
 
JRINNS's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Oh dear, mother-in-law's car. That's a non-starter!
You spoil her. Treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen!

So, it seems it's going to be an Aldi household. Convenient for Warranty issues and Servicing.
Yes, possibly. Down bristol next week so will go and have a play with dick lovett......had the drive of a 530d there and may see how the land lies with a 535d. Think it will be alot more expensive than the a6 bitdi is going for due to 23% discount. Both great cars and bmw maybe more so but it all comes down to the green.
__________________
BMW E90 325i MSport 146000 and counting - Gone and will be missed.
Range Rover Evoque White Dynamic - Gone
Audi A5 Cab
+ 1 more undecided.
JRINNS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #43
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,975
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRINNS View Post
Yes, possibly. Down bristol next week so will go and have a play with dick lovett......had the drive of a 530d there and may see how the land lies with a 535d. Think it will be alot more expensive than the a6 bitdi is going for due to 23% discount. Both great cars and bmw maybe more so but it all comes down to the green.
What an unfortunate name!
Good negotiating skills needed with arrogant BMW Dealers. I do hope they give you a ood deal. However, remember that the 5 Series is being updated soon, so screw them for a few more .

Have you considered the new heavily revised Mercedes E Class which will be available soon? Beautifully made cars IMO.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport + Toys (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG + Toys (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #44
JRINNS
Private First Class
 
JRINNS's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
What an unfortunate name!
Good negotiating skills needed with arrogant BMW Dealers. I do hope they give you a ood deal. However, remember that the 5 Series is being updated soon, so screw them for a few more .

Have you considered the new heavily revised Mercedes E Class which will be available soon? Beautifully made cars IMO.
Will have to have a look and see what they re like
__________________
BMW E90 325i MSport 146000 and counting - Gone and will be missed.
Range Rover Evoque White Dynamic - Gone
Audi A5 Cab
+ 1 more undecided.
JRINNS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST