F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330D MS Vs 330D MS X Drive
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #45
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,725
iTrader: (0)

The Merc might be just the ticket. It's practically a new car with the extensive revisions. Even the shape has changed. It really looks the business.

Get an E 350 Diesel BlueTEC (automatic) AMG Sport from £40,900. Just looked at the configurator. Heavily revised inside and outside. Very high quality.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #46
Daveyc
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bristol

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

HI Jrinns,

Given you've been driving BMWs for a while (and presumably, that you like them), I'd hesitate on buying an Audi if I were you. They're a totally different drive to Beemers and it's down to taste as to which you prefer.

Take a look at this review of the Audi A6 3.0 BiTDI quattro in Autocar.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...-bitdi-quattro

Apart form the usual comments about the Audi drive being bit sterile, they also suggest you need to spec it up a fair bit to get a halfway decent drive.

Given your space requirements, it might be worth test driving a 535d and then pushing your dealer on price against the Audi. If you can't get a sensible deal, you could look at a nearly new 535d.

Each to their own, but driving an Audi is the polar opposite of most BMWs. Worth pausing before you go ahead.
Daveyc is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #47
JRINNS
Private First Class
 
JRINNS's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
HI Jrinns,

Given you've been driving BMWs for a while (and presumably, that you like them), I'd hesitate on buying an Audi if I were you. They're a totally different drive to Beemers and it's down to taste as to which you prefer.

Take a look at this review of the Audi A6 3.0 BiTDI quattro in Autocar.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...-bitdi-quattro

Apart form the usual comments about the Audi drive being bit sterile, they also suggest you need to spec it up a fair bit to get a halfway decent drive.

Given your space requirements, it might be worth test driving a 535d and then pushing your dealer on price against the Audi. If you can't get a sensible deal, you could look at a nearly new 535d.

Each to their own, but driving an Audi is the polar opposite of most BMWs. Worth pausing before you go ahead.
To be honest im approaching 40 and the a relaxing drive with power on tap and gadgets is my most important . All cars at a 40k price point will be nice to drive, a spirited drive and being at one with the car is ok for an m3 but for a motorway mile muncher then its take it or leave it. Got an a6 for a day on friday and if its not relaxing to drive then its gone. Tooks the wifes manual a5 to manchester last night and my back and arse killed. Think its the offset pedals , may not be noticable on an auto, but if it is then a lower powrr bmw may be the way forward or the merc. Friday is d day for me, before that though i will nip intomthe bmw dealers
__________________
BMW E90 325i MSport 146000 and counting - Gone and will be missed.
Range Rover Evoque White Dynamic - Gone
Audi A5 Cab
+ 1 more undecided.
JRINNS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #48
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,725
iTrader: (0)

As the review says: 'But this experience, as well as previous test drives, suggests that even a perfectly configured A6 BiTDi still couldn’t quite eclipse the BMW for overall dynamic appeal'.

And it is such a bloated looking thing. Most unattractive.
The new E Class is a better bet. Loaded with equipment.

He should compare the Merc and the BMW.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #49
JRINNS
Private First Class
 
JRINNS's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
As the review says: 'But this experience, as well as previous test drives, suggests that even a perfectly configured A6 BiTDi still couldn’t quite eclipse the BMW for overall dynamic appeal'.

And it is such a bloated looking thing. Most unattractive.
The new E Class is a better bet. Loaded with equipment.

He should compare the Merc and the BMW.
The review states buy one with a rear diff etc, i travel at speed in straight lines on the motorway, a rear diff is the last tick box i would go for lol

The sline looks decent
__________________
BMW E90 325i MSport 146000 and counting - Gone and will be missed.
Range Rover Evoque White Dynamic - Gone
Audi A5 Cab
+ 1 more undecided.
JRINNS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #50
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,725
iTrader: (0)

I've always felt those wheels are a bit 'boy racer'.
I've never been able to get comfortable in Audis. Always got severe pain in my shins and a very sore back.
0-62 mph times should also never be the decider.
Best of luck in your hunt.
And ETTO.

Last edited by F30AM; 02-03-2013 at 04:09 AM.
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #51
davyk31
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

Posts: 4,274
iTrader: (0)

The S Line A6 Avant do look very nice I have to agree. As regards the differences in driving dynamics I wonder how much is reality and how much is people's ideas. For sure a BMW fan will often keep loyal to the brand.

Having said all that I would probably struggle also going to an Audi.
davyk31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #52
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,725
iTrader: (0)

For most people the Audi driving experience will be fine but when one changes from a hot hatch to a saloon, one needs a sporting saloon to lessen the trauma of the change. The F30 meets this requirement in spades and then some.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #53
rjberry
Captain
 
rjberry's Avatar
 
Drives: Moonstone 335d XDrive M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Wales

Posts: 690
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRINNS View Post
Yes, possibly. Down bristol next week so will go and have a play with dick lovett......had the drive of a 530d there and may see how the land lies with a 535d. Think it will be alot more expensive than the a6 bitdi is going for due to 23% discount. Both great cars and bmw maybe more so but it all comes down to the green.
Dick Lovett is where my car came from. Great place but yes, unfortunate name
__________________


335d XDrive M Sport Moonstone with Black Merino Leather interior
rjberry is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #54
JRINNS
Private First Class
 
JRINNS's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
The S Line A6 Avant do look very nice I have to agree. As regards the differences in driving dynamics I wonder how much is reality and how much is people's ideas. For sure a BMW fan will often keep loyal to the brand.

Having said all that I would probably struggle also going to an Audi.
Agreed, hence why im not 100% . I would love an eb 330d but its just going to be too small. Just thinking if some 535d pre regs may come on the market 310313
__________________
BMW E90 325i MSport 146000 and counting - Gone and will be missed.
Range Rover Evoque White Dynamic - Gone
Audi A5 Cab
+ 1 more undecided.
JRINNS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #55
F30AM
Brigadier General
 
F30AM's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London, UK

Posts: 3,725
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRINNS View Post
Agreed, hence why im not 100% . I would love an eb 330d but its just going to be too small. Just thinking if some 535d pre regs may come on the market 310313
I perfectly understand your dilemma. At the end of the day, bugger what we all say, but get the car that suits your needs best and at the best possible price. BMW, Mercedes and Audi are very good cars. They will get you from A to B in great comfort albeit a bit differently. Driving comfort should be your priority above the plethora of toys on offer.
__________________
Present: Superman 330d sDrive M Sport (Auto Car: 0-60 in 5.5s, 0-100 in 14.2s, 30-70 in 5.1s)
Ordered: Red Tornado Golf 7R 5 Dr, DSG (Top Gear: 0-60 in 4.5s, 0-100 in 11.5s, 30-70 in 4.0s)
F30AM is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST