F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Driver Assistance Package vs. Premium Package.. decisions decisions ...
proTUNING Freaks

02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
Question Driver Assistance Package vs. Premium Package.. decisions decisions ...

So yesterday I was reviewing my build, then I realized for the same amount of money, I can either get:
DAP + Dakota Leather
or
Premium Pkg + Park Distance Control + Rearview Camera

So it really comes down to:
Active Blind Spot Detection + Side and Top View Cameras
VS.
Sirus radio + Lumbar support + Comfort access

I'm kinda indecisive here...
Active Blind Spot Detection - Sounds nice, but I drive very cautiously. I've been driving without something like that for a very long time and never had any issues.
Side + Top View Cameras - Never seen/used it before. Is it good?

Sirus radio - meh. I'd prefer Pandora.
Lumbar Support - I don't do long drives very often (once, twice per year maybe) So how much this option changes driving experience?
Comfort Access - Nice to have, but not necessary IMO.

So...I'm thinking about changing my build(or not) since there's still time...any suggestions?

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post
So yesterday I was reviewing my build, then I realized for the same amount of money, I can either get:
DAP + Dakota Leather
or

VS.

Active Blind Spot Detection - Sounds nice, but I drive very cautiously. I've been driving without something like that for a very long time and never had any issues.

Lumbar Support - I don't do long drives very often (once, twice per year maybe) So how much this option changes driving experience?

So...I'm thinking about changing my build(or not) since there's still time...any suggestions?

Thanks!
Most of the things your talking about IMO after you get them you wonder how you did without them before. The Sirus radio is just so so. Think about HUD and NAV. Good luck in what ever you get.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Most of the things your talking about IMO after you get them you wonder how you did without them before. The Sirus radio is just so so. Think about HUD and NAV. Good luck in what ever you get.
cheers
vern
so you are saying I should get both? lol
Yea I've already added tech pkg...I can't live without that!

I wonder if comfort access can be added as a single option instead of being in a pkg...

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Smile

Quote:
DAP + Dakota Leather
or

VS.

Thanks!
Here is my ranking from least useful to most needed:

5) Lumbar Support - If you have back problems, but otherwise i barely touch this
4) Sirius Radio - I really like it, although the digital sound is not music to my years, but the large choice is ... Having said that, it's only free for a year.
3) Camera and sensors all around - I dont have it, therefore i cannot comment on it. Very useful yes, especially for your better half and significant other, but otherwise if you are the sole driver of your car, you can skip it. I did.
I am doing very well with using my mirrors, because i know how to set them up and i know how to use my steering wheel in coordination.
2) Active blind spot - Extremely useful - I dont have it, but i wish i have it... i dont understand why BMW makes us pay for this, this is a safely feature, and lower models from other brand have it standard... this is
But obviously both you and i we can do without...
1) Comfort Access - This is the ball ! You must have this (along with Lighting package for the angel eyes)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
DAP + Dakota Leather
or

VS.

Thanks!
I have all of the above. I love the top view cameras, it really helps if you're in a tight garage or parking lot. The side view is nice too, it gives a reference from your bumper so you don't park it on a curb. It's all stuff one can do without, but once you have it, it's nice to not have to estimate.

However, I also wouldn't suggest doing away with the leather. Their leatherette is good... but it's just not leather. The loaner I got while waiting for my build had the leatherette and it just has a way of making you sweat that the leather doesn't.

I also love the comfort access. My wife gets a kick out of the trunk thing (I've used it legitimately a few times) I just love never having to dig my key out of my pocket, or the wife's purse.

I would suggest keeping all of it, if you can afford it. The only option I thought wasn't worth it was the driver's assistance plus, that parallel parks itself. lol I have too big an ego for that one.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Much like the OP, i've never had any sort of blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, or surround view cameras on any of my previous cars and have been fine without them. Based on that I just didn't see the point in spending the extra $ on them.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian

Comfort access is the best - anything less is a nuisance. Park distance control is also indispensable. HUD is very useful. I got the rest, but none would be a great hardship to do without.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Here is my ranking from least useful to most needed:

5) Lumbar Support - If you have back problems, but otherwise i barely touch this
4) Sirius Radio - I really like it, although the digital sound is not music to my years, but the large choice is ... Having said that, it's only free for a year.
3) Camera and sensors all around - I dont have it, therefore i cannot comment on it. Very useful yes, especially for your better half and significant other, but otherwise if you are the sole driver of your car, you can skip it. I did.
I am doing very well with using my mirrors, because i know how to set them up and i know how to use my steering wheel in coordination.
2) Active blind spot - Extremely useful - I dont have it, but i wish i have it... i dont understand why BMW makes us pay for this, this is a safely feature, and lower models from other brand have it standard... this is
But obviously both you and i we can do without...
1) Comfort Access - This is the ball ! You must have this (along with Lighting package for the angel eyes)
Thanks. that's very helpful.
I think the lighting pkg is default to 335.

Yea I really wanted comfort access...I think that's the only highlight for the premium pkg...but I don't wanna lose active blind spot and top/side cameras...awww...

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
I have all of the above. I love the top view cameras, it really helps if you're in a tight garage or parking lot. The side view is nice too, it gives a reference from your bumper so you don't park it on a curb. It's all stuff one can do without, but once you have it, it's nice to not have to estimate.

However, I also wouldn't suggest doing away with the leather. Their leatherette is good... but it's just not leather. The loaner I got while waiting for my build had the leatherette and it just has a way of making you sweat that the leather doesn't.

I also love the comfort access. My wife gets a kick out of the trunk thing (I've used it legitimately a few times) I just love never having to dig my key out of my pocket, or the wife's purse.

I would suggest keeping all of it, if you can afford it. The only option I thought wasn't worth it was the driver's assistance plus, that parallel parks itself. lol I have too big an ego for that one.
Yea I didn't get the driver's assistance plus. Speed limit info? I'm always aware of the speed limit on current road. Lane departure warning? I always triple check the other lanes before I merge. :/

The auto parallel parking (Parking assistant, $500) is very tempting. But I decided to go without it because in the past five years I think I only parallel parked once or twice, and I didn't have any problem with it. $500 here may just become something I may show off to my friends. lol

Getting both costs about $1k extra. :/ Not a huge deal since I've already dumped $60k on this car...but, you know...money don't grow on trees.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVidale View Post
Comfort access is the best - anything less is a nuisance. Park distance control is also indispensable. HUD is very useful. I got the rest, but none would be a great hardship to do without.
Yea...i'm leaning towards getting
Premium pkg + rear view camera + park distance control

And without DAP...I will get a hidden storage box to the left of the steering wheel!

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I have all the options.. except Parking Assistant (who can't park their car??). I'll rank them from least useful to most necessary:
  1. Lane Departure Warning. Useless. Unless you often doze off while driving.
  2. Blind Spot detection. Nearly as useless, unless you can't turn your head.
  3. Speed Limit Info. Definitely handy, but I try not to speed too often. Just saves you time from always paying attention to speed limit signs. It can't distinguish School Zone signs that are only applicable during certain hours.
  4. Auto High Beams. Very handy, as the hi-beams throw out a tremendous amount of light. Saves you from fooling with the controls and not being distracted turning them on/off. If you don't have Xenons, DEFINITELY GET THEM!
  5. Heated seats/steering wheel. Certainly nice to have, and probably would move up the list depending on how cold your winters get.
  6. Side and power rear sunshade. Nice to have, especially if you have kids or have really hot summers.
  7. Driver Assistance Pkg/PDC/Top View. Very handy to have if you park in garages or in the city.
  8. Premium Package/Comfort Access. Once you get used to Comfort Access, it is hard to go back.
  9. Harmon Kardon. The standard sound system is OK, but there is no way to tweak it just a bit. So if the sound is annoying to you, you're pretty much stuck with just coarse bass/treble controls.
  10. DHP/M Adaptive/V.S.S. What makes a BMW feel like a BMW. Without DHP, I could be driving a Mercedes or Audi.
  11. Tech Package/Navigation/HUD. I use this so often, it's hard to imagine buying a car without it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I have all the options.. except Parking Assistant (who can't park their car??). I'll rank them from least useful to most necessary:
  1. Lane Departure Warning. Useless. Unless you often doze off while driving.
  2. Blind Spot detection. Nearly as useless, unless you can't turn your head.
  3. Speed Limit Info. Definitely handy, but I try not to speed too often. Just saves you time from always paying attention to speed limit signs. It can't distinguish School Zone signs that are only applicable during certain hours.
  4. Auto High Beams. Very handy, as the hi-beams throw out a tremendous amount of light. Saves you from fooling with the controls and not being distracted turning them on/off. If you don't have Xenons, DEFINITELY GET THEM!
  5. Heated seats/steering wheel. Certainly nice to have, and probably would move up the list depending on how cold your winters get.
  6. Side and power rear sunshade. Nice to have, especially if you have kids or have really hot summers.
  7. Driver Assistance Pkg/PDC/Top View. Very handy to have if you park in garages or in the city.
  8. Premium Package/Comfort Access. Once you get used to Comfort Access, it is hard to go back.
  9. Harmon Kardon. The standard sound system is OK, but there is no way to tweak it just a bit. So if the sound is annoying to you, you're pretty much stuck with just coarse bass/treble controls.
  10. DHP/M Adaptive/V.S.S. What makes a BMW feel like a BMW. Without DHP, I could be driving a Mercedes or Audi.
  11. Tech Package/Navigation/HUD. I use this so often, it's hard to imagine buying a car without it.
Nice. Thanks!
I think you only ranked 2 of them as "useless" LOL
I think it depends where you live...
Speed Limit Info is definitely useless to me.
Auto High Beams is pretty much useless to me as well, I can't remember when was the last time I had to use high beams.
Heated everything, check.
Sunshades...I think it's a rip off for nearly $600. I don't have kids now, and I have no plans to have kids in the near future.
HK,DHP,Tech, check check check.

How's the lumbar control? I don't know how much is the difference between having it and not having it.

so the real question is ... Comfort Access vs. Top/Side cameras...

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Speed limit info? :/ Not a huge deal since I've already dumped $60k on this car....
Speed limit only cost $100- $90 invoice. It sure helped when doing ED. Good luck
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Here's my take after owning an F30 for 7 weeks.

If you are buying the car and are worried about resale value, the Premium Pkg will gain you more on a trade-in/sale down the road over cameras. Even though you opted for Leather as an individual option, it seems that however/whatever BMWNA packages with the Premium Pkg seems to be the defacto standard for how trade-in's are evaluated. I've seen it before. Don't get Premium and you'll often get dinged on resale. Weird, I know, but its been fairly consistent especially on cars fairly equipped otherwise.

I got PDC and no cameras in my car. I talked myself out of them for a couple reasons. One reason was price and that the MSRP was already getting crazy high for a 3 series. That said, when I first got the car I wished I got the cameras. Then after a few weeks I learned the corners and aren't bothered any longer. I actually took my car to a few parking lots and did some practicing to learn the corners of the car. Rear cam would still be nice on occasion though...

Now, if you aren't careful when parking or lend out your car to others, then the cameras can help save your bumpers/wheels from scrapes. It does require the driver activate them and know what they do. Only rear PDC and the rear cam are kinda automatic.

The blind spot detection will/may interfere with your radar detector. It can be a useful safety feature and all it has to do is save you once and you'll very much appreciate it. That said, I've driven several other cars with blind spot detection and had them activate when they shouldn't and to me that's a nuisance. These blind spot systems are only aids and not meant to replace driver awareness.

Comfort Access is nice. I have it on my F30 but didn't have it on my E90. I like it, but could live without it if I had to. This is another one of those handy options to have if you let others drive your car. Show them how to pop the trunk with their foot and you'll save your bumper from scratches when (lazy) people rest things there while they fumble for keys. CA has other usefulness to, but their mostly toys and not necessities.

Sirus content is pretty good, but sound quality is fairly poor. Period. If you like the conten, get it. Don't get it because you think you'll have another few dozen CD quality channels to listen to. Its more like AM Stereo quality. Sadly! HD radio sound quality is much better. Analog FM is also typically much better sound quality.

Lumbar is something that's individual choice. I like it and set it once when I picked up my car. Its pretty much set it and forget it. If I didn't have it, I would be fine on shorter drives but would miss it on longer drives. For those with some health ailments, lumbar adjustment can be a life saver!

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speed limit only cost $100- $90 invoice. It sure helped when doing ED. Good luck
cheers
vern
I've driven a '13 BMW and '13 Cadillac with Speed Limit ID and both gave me incorrect info on several roads. The funny thing is that both told me 40MPH on one road that is clearly marked 35MPH. Driving by 3 well placed signs didn't update either system. Other roads produced similar inaccurate results. Yes, it was accurate sometimes, but IMO if its not right 95%+ of the time its not worth my $. Not even close in my test on So. FL roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Comfort access is a very nice/convenient feature. I initially wasn't going to get premium but since I was getting leather and contemplating CA, I decided to go for it. I don't personally understand the draw for PDC and blind spot detection. There's literally no such thing as a "blind spot" if your mirrors are properly adjusted. You shouldn't even need to turn your head. PDC would be for those who either have no concept of the spatial positioning of their car or who must park REALLY close to other objects/obstacles. I'm not big on technology for technology's sake personally.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If you're gonna turn them on and use them when parking, in tight spots, etc. then I'd say the top/side view cameras. Especially if you have a history of scraping wheels, etc.. Note, when starting the car you have to wait for the Nav to boot before video is available (up to 20 seconds or so). So if you typically jump in and drive off quickly the cameras may not be available to you. PDC beeps (audio) are available pretty much immediately.

Remember the top/side cameras require you voluntarily activate them.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Nice. Thanks!
I think you only ranked 2 of them as "useless" LOL
I think it depends where you live...
Speed Limit Info is definitely useless to me.
Auto High Beams is pretty much useless to me as well, I can't remember when was the last time I had to use high beams.
Heated everything, check.
Sunshades...I think it's a rip off for nearly $600. I don't have kids now, and I have no plans to have kids in the near future.
HK,DHP,Tech, check check check.

How's the lumbar control? I don't know how much is the difference between having it and not having it.

I haven't even tried the Lumbar control, but now that you reminded me I will check it out. Forgot to mention... I have the Sport seats (M-sport package) and they are miles better than the standard F30 seats. I consider the Sport seats/M-sport wheel/Sport Auto must-have, as well.

Top view camera saved my wheels from scraping just yesterday. I was close to a high curb at someone's house yesterday. I had to back up to get closer to curb. Without the cameras, I'm pretty sure I would have scraped. Comfort access is pretty nice. When I pick up my kids, I'm usually holding at least one of them. Not having to fish for a key in my pocket or punch a button is certainly helpful.

Quote:
cheers
vern
Not sure how you see this price/cost. Speed Limit Info (option 8TH) is only part of the $700 Driver Assistance Plus package, on the standard 328i/335i. If you order the ActiveHybrid 3, it is free - as long as you're getting Nav and the regular Driver Assistance Package.

Last edited by SamS; 02-03-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
cheers
vern
Hm...so you can add it as an individual option?

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
ADRQ0811
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current 2013 BMW F30 Past 2008

I have both and I think the top view cameras are well worth it so nice for parking I have never been good at parking and they help so much,if you can get both you only live once.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #21
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Here's my take after owning an F30 for 7 weeks.

If you are buying the car and are worried about resale value, the Premium Pkg will gain you more on a trade-in/sale down the road over cameras. Even though you opted for Leather as an individual option, it seems that however/whatever BMWNA packages with the Premium Pkg seems to be the defacto standard for how trade-in's are evaluated. I've seen it before. Don't get Premium and you'll often get dinged on resale. Weird, I know, but its been fairly consistent especially on cars fairly equipped otherwise.

I got PDC and no cameras in my car. I talked myself out of them for a couple reasons. One reason was price and that the MSRP was already getting crazy high for a 3 series. That said, when I first got the car I wished I got the cameras. Then after a few weeks I learned the corners and aren't bothered any longer. I actually took my car to a few parking lots and did some practicing to learn the corners of the car. Rear cam would still be nice on occasion though...

Now, if you aren't careful when parking or lend out your car to others, then the cameras can help save your bumpers/wheels from scrapes. It does require the driver activate them and know what they do. Only rear PDC and the rear cam are kinda automatic.

The blind spot detection will/may interfere with your radar detector. It can be a useful safety feature and all it has to do is save you once and you'll very much appreciate it. That said, I've driven several other cars with blind spot detection and had them activate when they shouldn't and to me that's a nuisance. These blind spot systems are only aids and not meant to replace driver awareness.

Comfort Access is nice. I have it on my F30 but didn't have it on my E90. I like it, but could live without it if I had to. This is another one of those handy options to have if you let others drive your car. Show them how to pop the trunk with their foot and you'll save your bumper from scratches when (lazy) people rest things there while they fumble for keys. CA has other usefulness to, but their mostly toys and not necessities.

Sirus content is pretty good, but sound quality is fairly poor. Period. If you like the conten, get it. Don't get it because you think you'll have another few dozen CD quality channels to listen to. Its more like AM Stereo quality. Sadly! HD radio sound quality is much better. Analog FM is also typically much better sound quality.

Lumbar is something that's individual choice. I like it and set it once when I picked up my car. Its pretty much set it and forget it. If I didn't have it, I would be fine on shorter drives but would miss it on longer drives. For those with some health ailments, lumbar adjustment can be a life saver!

Hope this helps.
Thank you...good point on the resale value. I really haven't thought about it too much. I'm planning on keeping this car for a long time (6-8 years maybe)
I guess it's all about the word "Premium" :/

I'm getting the PDC and rear view cameras for sure. I've never had a car that has radar or cameras.
Yea I don't really care about satellite radio. I usually listen to my CDs while driving. (Y NO CD CHANGER! )

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #22
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I haven't even tried the Lumbar control, but now that you reminded me I will check it out. Forgot to mention... I have the Sport seats (M-sport package) and they are miles better than the standard F30 seats. I consider the Sport seats/M-sport wheel/Sport Auto must-have, as well.

Top view camera saved my wheels from scraping just yesterday. I was close to a high curb at someone's house yesterday. I had to back up to get closer to curb. Without the cameras, I'm pretty sure I would have scraped. Comfort access is pretty nice. When I pick up my kids, I'm usually holding at least one of them. Not having to fish for a key in my pocket or punch a button is certainly helpful.

Not sure how you see this price/cost. Speed Limit Info (option 8TH) is only part of the $700 Driver Assistance Plus package, on the standard 328i/335i. If you order the ActiveHybrid 3, it is free - as long as you're getting Nav and the regular Driver Assistance Package.
Yes mine will be a M Sports line build

Hm...so the radar doesn't work on high curbs?
I can imagine I won't be using top/rear-view cameras very often...so it actually will be like buying an one time insurance. :/
I've decided, I will get the premium pkg for comfort access, since I'm getting leather seats anyways.

Appreciate 0