F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Drive Train Set up
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Drive Train Set up

The members that have adaptive can you run through the options you have in the system and how it links with sport Auto box and steering with or with out VSS and I heard someone mention the settings alter brake feel with M Performance Brakes found that strange link to get my head round
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Daveyc
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bristol

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
The members that have adaptive can you run through the options you have in the system and how it links with sport Auto box and steering with or with out VSS and I heard someone mention the settings alter brake feel with M Performance Brakes found that strange link to get my head round
Hi Derek,

On cars with adaptive suspension, there are two things you can select independently in Sport mode: Chassis and Drivetrain. The menu shows three options:
- Chassis and drivetrain
- Drivetrain only
- Chassis only

'Chassis only' setting does three things:
1. Firms up the dampers for progressive driving
2. Adds extra weight and feel to the steering (more so if you have VSS)
3. Firms up brake pedal, reduces travel and increases feel (I have M Sport brakes and I don't know if this behaviour is limited to those brakes, or same for standard brakes)

'Drivetrain only' also changes three things:
1. Significantly sharpens throttle response (quite addictive)
2. Raises rpm at a given speed in given driving situation - main effect is to keep revs at 18,000 rpm or higher, even on a neutral throttle, so the turbo spins up immediately when you hit the pedal
3. Makes gear changes more aggressive: Holds onto higher revs before shifting up and executes each shift faster, with quicker lock-up

'Chassis and Drivetrain' gives you both at once and is quite an intoxicating mix in the 330d, as there is instant forward thrust whenever you brush the accelerator and the car feels very planted and biddable.

Compared to Sport, Comfort simply slackens off all these things, including chassis. Eco Pro makes no further change to Chassis settings, but softens throttle response quite heavily and sets the 'box to keep rpm between 1,200 and 1,800 (assuming of course, you're not hammering along at 85mph on the motorway).

I generally configure Sport as Drivetrain and Chassis, but sometimes drive with just Chassis, which gives a nice mix of the solid, planted and biddable feel, with a more relaxed engine rpm, but enough immediate grunt for most situations.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Daveyc is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Daveyc
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bristol

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Sorry, I meant to add that you can flip the gear lever to the left for Sport setting. You then see 'S4', 'S5' etc on instrument panel.

If you're in the mood, this gives you a further lift over the full Sport driving mode setting (Chassis and Drivetrain), holding on to the revs still further and making the changes faster still. Changes are impressively quick in standard Sport driving mode, but they're remarkably quick with the box in full 'S' mode - almost up there with DCT systems.

With the gear lever pushed left, you also have full manual control of the box as soon as you use one of the steerage wheel paddles (i.e. the box stays in manual from then on until you flip the lever back to the right. This contrasts with standard setting, where if you use the paddles, the car defaults back to Auto mode after about 30 seconds.
Daveyc is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Sorry, I meant to add that you can flip the gear lever to the left for Sport setting. You then see 'S4', 'S5' etc on instrument panel.

If you're in the mood, this gives you a further lift over the full Sport driving mode setting (Chassis and Drivetrain), holding on to the revs still further and making the changes faster still. Changes are impressively quick in standard Sport driving mode, but they're remarkably quick with the box in full 'S' mode - almost up there with DCT systems.

With the gear lever pushed left, you also have full manual control of the box as soon as you use one of the steerage wheel paddles (i.e. the box stays in manual from then on until you flip the lever back to the right. This contrasts with standard setting, where if you use the paddles, the car defaults back to Auto mode after about 30 seconds.
Dave thank you very much great info I see I'm going to have a lot of fun coming from a manual 330d m sport 2006 so far more torque and power so does the last option turn off traction control, and in sport are you saying it reverts to auto if you don't flick the lever to the right? Thanks Derek
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
 
Captain Cow Pat's Avatar
 
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK

Posts: 489
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Hi Derek,

'Drivetrain only' also changes three things:
1. Significantly sharpens throttle response (quite addictive)
2. Raises rpm at a given speed in given driving situation - main effect is to keep revs at 18,000 rpm or higher, even on a neutral throttle, so the turbo spins up immediately when you hit the pedal
Dave
That's a hell of an engine
__________________
Captain Cow Pat is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat View Post
That's a hell of an engine
Aye M1
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Daveyc
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bristol

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat View Post
That's a hell of an engine
Ehh .. oops. Kkkkeyboard bbbounce ... :-)
Daveyc is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Daveyc
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bristol

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Dave thank you very much great info I see I'm going to have a lot of fun coming from a manual 330d m sport 2006 so far more torque and power so does the last option turn off traction control, and in sport are you saying it reverts to auto if you don't flick the lever to the right? Thanks Derek
Hi Derek,

Yes, I think you'll love the change from your 2006 car. I forgot to mention last of the three driving modes, Sport+. I'm honestly not sure exactly what it does, but think it kills traction control, but keeps stability control in play, but toned down versus sport.

Re auto box, if you have the lever to the right (standard), the box always reverts to Auto after 30 seconds or so after your last change via paddle. If you push the lever to the left, but don't use the paddles, you simply get faster, later changes. But if you do use the paddles, the car then stays in manual, until you move the lever back to the right.
Daveyc is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Hi Derek,

Yes, I think you'll love the change from your 2006 car. I forgot to mention last of the three driving modes, Sport+. I'm honestly not sure exactly what it does, but think it kills traction control, but keeps stability control in play, but toned down versus sport.

Re auto box, if you have the lever to the right (standard), the box always reverts to Auto after 30 seconds or so after your last change via paddle. If you push the lever to the left, but don't use the paddles, you simply get faster, later changes. But if you do use the paddles, the car then stays in manual, until you move the lever back to the right.
Thanks that clears that up, any tips on knowing the correct gear apart from looking at dash is 7&8 just like over drive and 6th same as 6th ratio in old e90?
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Daveyc
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bristol

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Thanks that clears that up, any tips on knowing the correct gear apart from looking at dash is 7&8 just like over drive and 6th same as 6th ratio in old e90?
No, 7th & 8th are normal driving gears. The box just has 8 gears which are quite closely spaced. It's a really wonderful box - I was another person who had previously discounted autos as boring, but this turns your head around.
Daveyc is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
No, 7th & 8th are normal driving gears. The box just has 8 gears which are quite closely spaced. It's a really wonderful box - I was another person who had previously discounted autos as boring, but this turns your head around.
Thanks Dave so is it just the M Sport that has sport auto as standard? Aye I thing I will grow to love it
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST