F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > How strict on laws are SoCal cops?
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Steve33
Captain
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

How strict on laws are SoCal cops?

I'm moving to OC in the summer and I'm a little curious how strict LA/OC cops there are on tint, no front plate, painted/no reflectors, etc. Any insight? Also, any dealers to go to or avoid?
__________________
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Someguywitha-f30
Respect Big Pimpin'
 
Someguywitha-f30's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW E92 M3/13 EBII F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Any tints in the front windows are illegal, but most cops would let it go if it's not too dark/limo tint. no front plate varies cop to cop I have gone a year without getting a ticket and I have friends who have gotten twice in a single week. A lot people run painted reflectors and I haven't heard about anyone getting tickets for them.

As for dealerships it also varies by people, personally I really dislike new century BMW but that's just my experience with them...
Someguywitha-f30 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
NOKAOI F30
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 AW F30 335I
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal, Huntington Beach

Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)

In order for a cop to stop you just for your tint it has to be limo tint or tinted so dark that they cant see inside the vehicle. Mostly you would get cited if they were to stop you for something else like speeding or other moving violation. But then again it depends on which agency stops you. The CHP (California Highway Patrol) for instance is less lenient on this. HTH!
NOKAOI F30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
Steve33
Captain
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Bleh, I'll leave my Texas plates on as long as possible... at least I can say it isn't required here. Texas is starting to only issue one plate so I can actually say I didn't get one
__________________
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,683
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33
Bleh, I'll leave my Texas plates on as long as possible... at least I can say it isn't required here. Texas is starting to only issue one plate so I can actually say I didn't get one
I have had 3 cars tinted in OC including my 335. Knock on wood...
OC40 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
pkancel
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mission Viejo

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

Late reply but here you go! OC is pretty easy going, they wont stop you for tint or lack of front plate, etc but if you are speeding and get pissy with them, they might consider adding those things to the ticket Highway Patrol, is a hit or miss. Depends on the day so no matter whether OC or LA, they might get you for tint.

LA and especially LAX Airport area, very touchy on tint and front plate. Hit or miss but much more likely up there than here in OC. In 10 years, LA got me twice, once for tint and once for plate. OC, never once.
pkancel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Steve33
Captain
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
Late reply but here you go! OC is pretty easy going, they wont stop you for tint or lack of front plate, etc but if you are speeding and get pissy with them, they might consider adding those things to the ticket Highway Patrol, is a hit or miss. Depends on the day so no matter whether OC or LA, they might get you for tint.

LA and especially LAX Airport area, very touchy on tint and front plate. Hit or miss but much more likely up there than here in OC. In 10 years, LA got me twice, once for tint and once for plate. OC, never once.
Well I'm leaving my Texas plates as long as "legally" possible. They're going to start issuing only one plate so at least I'll have an excuse to only have one. Plus tint laws here are a joke, but I'm not going as dark as I have in the past
__________________
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
brian99997
Private
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
Well I'm leaving my Texas plates as long as "legally" possible. They're going to start issuing only one plate so at least I'll have an excuse to only have one. Plus tint laws here are a joke, but I'm not going as dark as I have in the past
So you plan on keeping them for 20 days to be legal. I have one of my race cars registered/inspected/insured in Texas and I have a matching address Texas ID with a house in Texas and even when I'm visiting, I get tickets for not having CA plates up near Willow Springs and off the 10 near Fontana near the race tracks although the car does have a roll cage that is visible through the rear window. They always get thrown out, but not by mail.

I spend time in both states so while they are partially right, I've also gotten a ticket for front window tint within 20 miles of the border from Arizona on a 67mph in a 65 + front (non limo, but tx legal applied at the dealership) window tint on a fully normal street TX car again with matching credentials. That specific officer told me that once a car enters the state, it must be fully legal within that state so I believe you are expected to remove the tint at the border even for sight seeing. This kind of relates to gun owners as well so I think he is legally correct. I have a concealed license in TX which gives me the same rights in many other states although there are combinations of states on a given road trip that require me to remove the ammo and put the gun in the trunk for that leg of the trip.

I have been driving around Santa Monica with paper plates for over a year with absolutely no trouble. I had to actually renew my plates and they are not even on the car, front or otherwise.
brian99997 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Steve33
Captain
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian99997 View Post
So you plan on keeping them for 20 days to be legal. I have one of my race cars registered/inspected/insured in Texas and I have a matching address Texas ID with a house in Texas and even when I'm visiting, I get tickets for not having CA plates up near Willow Springs and off the 10 near Fontana near the race tracks although the car does have a roll cage that is visible through the rear window. They always get thrown out, but not by mail.
Of course, it "won't" be in the state for more than 20 days at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian99997 View Post
I spend time in both states so while they are partially right, I've also gotten a ticket for front window tint within 20 miles of the border from Arizona on a 67mph in a 65 + front (non limo, but tx legal applied at the dealership) window tint on a fully normal street TX car again with matching credentials. That specific officer told me that once a car enters the state, it must be fully legal within that state so I believe you are expected to remove the tint at the border even for sight seeing.
I had a vehicle there all summer with 25% on the front with no issues. I actually called a few different police stations and sheriff's office and they all said it only mattered where it was registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian99997 View Post
This kind of relates to gun owners as well so I think he is legally correct. I have a concealed license in TX which gives me the same rights in many other states although there are combinations of states on a given road trip that require me to remove the ammo and put the gun in the trunk for that leg of the trip.
I don't carry, so no problem for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian99997 View Post
I have been driving around Santa Monica with paper plates for over a year with absolutely no trouble. I had to actually renew my plates and they are not even on the car, front or otherwise.
Makes me think about tolls and temp plates
__________________
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
pkancel
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mission Viejo

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

All good points, didnt think about those. I actually moved from Dallas to So Cal and kept my Texas Tags for at least a year but also kept my Drivers License. Got stopped and told the cop I just moved here 2 weeks ago, which was nearly a year later. He didnt say anything after that but I did get the speeding ticket, which I certainly deserved.

Part of the reason I did that was because during that time, Gray Davis-Gov of CA had just tripled the cost for registering vehicles. The nice thing was that after about a year, dont recall exactly, it was reversed and then I switched everything over.

Steve, the toll idea could be even worse. A temp dealer tag with no tollpass can get you a very hefty fine. I did that after buying a new car, Highway Patrol stopped me and I had no idea why since I wasnt speeding. He was just at the end of the tollpass area and told me he didnt see a tollpass cardd displayed. I told him its a new car and havent received from the TollRoads yet but I told him I registered the car online with the TollRoads. He told me that was great but since I dont have a tag, how could the toll road know what to charge me I told him good point, I didnt think about that. He told me, that is a $1000 fine so he would let me go this time but if I try it again, he'll fine me for that time and this one, which will double the fine. I went and got my tollpass card. Saving $30.00 a month wasnt worth the risk of paying $1,000+
pkancel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
brian99997
Private
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

$75/year in texas beats the $350 they tried to hit me up for on one of my cars so I renew in Texas. The court always dismisses the case when they see a recent utility bill, drivers license and car insurance all at the same address in Texas. If you lose that and you legitimately live here, I have a feeling they will stick it to you.

With a standard looking car like the 328 in any reasonable color, I think you can get away with driving forever without attracting attention. Drive through the wrong po-dunk town with loud exhaust and you'll be paying huge fines.

I specifically keep the paper plates to avoid the front license plate ticket actually, the HOV's here require toll passes with cameras everywhere and as said above, the price is too high to tempt. It helps that you can't read the sales receipt any more because it is sun faded but I think upon closer inspection, the officer would clearly write me for something for that.
brian99997 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
SergioK
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: L.A.

Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500
Quote:
If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.
So yeah, if you get pulled over and you've moved to CA, and you tell him/her you've been here for more then ten days, you are actually considered driving WITHOUT a driver's license which is a misdemeanor. It's not a simple 'ticket' like you'd think it would be.
SergioK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST