F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cobb tunes
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,513
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotios335i View Post
The mppk really is an awesome upgrade. Worth every penny and its REAL power, nevermind this 20hp crap. My car with the sport auto and power kit feels as fast as my Procede n54. I wish others could test drive a car like mine and see what I mean. I think a lot of people are going to miss out on this awesome tune because of advertised numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
My MPPK cost $935, install was $135 (software only - I did the engine cover/intake updates myself). Huge power difference, way more than the advertised 20HP.
The advertised power gains are laughably conservative.

The advertised crank numbers for the original Dinan Stage 2 software flash were as follows: 384 horsepower and 421 lb-ft of torque.

I had the Dinan Stage 2 flash on both my '07 335i sedan and my '10 M Sport LCI 335i Sedan. Both cars had the N54 motor.

I can confidently assert that my M Performance Power Kit-equipped F30 M Sport 335i feels every bit as strong as my old Dinan-tuned N54 335i sedans. One difference is that the BMW tune feels a bit smoother and more refined. To me, that says a lot because I absolutely loved my Dinan Stage 2 flash. I enjoyed the Dinan Stage 2 software so much that I paid for it twice because both of those cars were leases.

Side Note:

Now that there are multiple tuning options available for the F30 (and there certainly will be more rolling out in the coming months), there will be an increase in debate and discussion regarding the merits of each tune.

We absolutely want to see thoughtful, lively, and in-depth debate regarding the various tunes that are available for either the N55 or the N20. That's what the N55 Turbo Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust Modification sub-forum is for, after all.

That said, there will NOT be a repeat of the tuner wars that occurred back in '07 when the N54 made its much-heralded debut. People have different wants/needs when it comes to choosing a tune. Some people want maximum power, some are more risk averse and are content with less power (knowing that there is absolutely no possibility of any warranty hassle), and some people are willing to pay $X whereas others will only shell out $Y . . .

Bottom line: You can have a difference of opinion regarding the available tunes. And you can openly express that opinion.

Just respect another man's choice. You're simply not going to convince someone that your tune is better and that his is worse because ultimately, what is better is subjective. Impossible you say? How can you argue with dyno runs and slip times? "That's hard data and the numbers don't lie!"

My response: It's simply not solely about the numbers. As I've made clear, other considerations, aside from raw data, contribute significantly to someone's choice of tune.

I've stated elsewhere that the only track my car will ever see has left and right turns. My car will see some time as a daily driver, too. I don't need to be the fastest car on the road because the fact of the matter is, there is always someone faster.

Carry on.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #24
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Side Note:

Now that there are multiple tuning options available for the F30 (and there certainly will be more rolling out in the coming months), there will be an increase in debate and discussion regarding the merits of each tune.

We absolutely want to see thoughtful, lively, and in-depth debate regarding the various tunes that are available for either the N55 or the N20. That's what the N55 Turbo Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust Modification sub-forum is for, after all.

That said, there will NOT be a repeat of the tuner wars that occurred back in '07 when the N54 made its much-heralded debut. People have different wants/needs when it comes to choosing a tune. Some people want maximum power, some are more risk averse and are content with less power (knowing that there is absolutely no possibility of any warranty hassle), and some people are willing to pay $X whereas others will only shell out $Y . . .

Bottom line: You can have a difference of opinion regarding the available tunes. And you can openly express that opinion.

Just respect another man's choice. You're simply not going to convince someone that your tune is better and that his is worse because ultimately, what is better is subjective. Impossible you say? How can you argue with dyno runs and slip times? "That's hard data and the numbers don't lie!"

My response: It's simply not solely about the numbers. As I've made clear, other considerations, aside from raw data, contribute significantly to someone's choice of tune.

I've stated elsewhere that the only track my car will ever see has left and right turns. My car will see some time as a daily driver, too. I don't need to be the fastest car on the road because the fact of the matter is, there is always someone faster.

Carry on.
Logic and reason?

How dare you sir.
inChargeOfIT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,591
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
The advertised power gains are laughably conservative.

The advertised crank numbers for the original Dinan Stage 2 software flash were as follows: 384 horsepower and 421 lb-ft of torque.

I had the Dinan Stage 2 flash on both my '07 335i sedan and my '10 M Sport LCI 335i Sedan. Both cars had the N54 motor.

I can confidently assert that my M Performance Power Kit-equipped F30 M Sport 335i feels every bit as strong as my old Dinan-tuned N54 335i sedans. One difference is that the BMW tune feels a bit smoother and more refined. To me, that says a lot because I absolutely loved my Dinan Stage 2 flash. I enjoyed the Dinan Stage 2 software so much that I paid for it twice because both of those cars were leases.

Side Note:

Now that there are multiple tuning options available for the F30 (and there certainly will be more rolling out in the coming months), there will be an increase in debate and discussion regarding the merits of each tune.

We absolutely want to see thoughtful, lively, and in-depth debate regarding the various tunes that are available for either the N55 or the N20. That's what the N55 Turbo Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust Modification sub-forum is for, after all.

That said, there will NOT be a repeat of the tuner wars that occurred back in '07 when the N54 made its much-heralded debut. People have different wants/needs when it comes to choosing a tune. Some people want maximum power, some are more risk averse and are content with less power (knowing that there is absolutely no possibility of any warranty hassle), and some people are willing to pay $X whereas others will only shell out $Y . . .

Bottom line: You can have a difference of opinion regarding the available tunes. And you can openly express that opinion.

Just respect another man's choice. You're simply not going to convince someone that your tune is better and that his is worse because ultimately, what is better is subjective. Impossible you say? How can you argue with dyno runs and slip times? "That's hard data and the numbers don't lie!"

My response: It's simply not solely about the numbers. As I've made clear, other considerations, aside from raw data, contribute significantly to someone's choice of tune.

I've stated elsewhere that the only track my car will ever see has left and right turns. My car will see some time as a daily driver, too. I don't need to be the fastest car on the road because the fact of the matter is, there is always someone faster.

Carry on.
Someone just please dyno the damn PPK already so I can see the real numbers. the 20hp/38tq or what ever it is, is definetly underrated. I need to see some numbers to the wheels.

I agree hp is not everything. Ive seen 425-450 hp cars beat down 500 hp cars because they cant put it to the ground. I was that guy with the 572rwhp car that lost to a 440rwhp c6 because the car is a feather and the guy knew how to put what he had to maximum use.....

Of course the higher the gain in hp the better the selling point. Not bashing any tuner but its a great selling point...my pee arch is higher than yours.

Dyno king and queens. Like my car below. Shit ton of power but it had its limits of what it can put to the pavement..

__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back

Last edited by dd1981; 06-08-2013 at 08:21 AM.
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

Posts: 1,734
iTrader: (0)

All these people with the mppk and no one has dyno'd it yet?

Quick, someone do a stock, JB4, and mppk on the same car and compare!
tdizzle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
The Nerd
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 316
iTrader: (0)

Two of us are scheduled to dyno our MPPK on Tuesday. I'll post my #s when I get them...
The Nerd is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #28
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,591
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Two of us are scheduled to dyno our MPPK on Tuesday. I'll post my #s when I get them...
Please do!
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
Seagull
Captain
 
Seagull's Avatar
 
Drives: f30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 717
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
All these people with the mppk and no one has dyno'd it yet?

Quick, someone do a stock, JB4, and mppk on the same car and compare!
Yeah, 288hp, 320tq. Check the main MPPK thread.
__________________
Current: F30 - 335i AT M-Sport MPPK
Previous: E90 - 335xi MT, E90 - 330i MT, E46 - 330i MT
Seagull is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
The Nerd
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 316
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Yeah, 288hp, 320tq. Check the main MPPK thread.
By the way....since I'm going to dyno Tuesday morning (and I've never done this), I assume I should have it in Sport mode? Does Sport actually put out more hp than Comfort? Or....just different shift points? Also....I have an 8AT....does it have to manually be in a certain gear while doing the dyno pull? If so, which one?
The Nerd is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
rshourek22
Registered
 
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Twin Cities

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm interested in the MPPK numbers as well, but I'd really like an ETA for the Cobb. Has anyone heard anything from Cobb recently? I had the Cobb AP on my E90 and it was awesome.
rshourek22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #32
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,591
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshourek22 View Post
I'm interested in the MPPK numbers as well, but I'd really like an ETA for the Cobb. Has anyone heard anything from Cobb recently? I had the Cobb AP on my E90 and it was awesome.
I heard August. At the latest early September, but still all rumors.
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #33
m2michael23
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tempe, AZ

Posts: 507
iTrader: (1)

patiently waiting... F30 models are still a niche market... will become more popular in two years or so.
m2michael23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #34
jetbill
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: tampa

Posts: 377
iTrader: (3)

Anyone have any word on this?
Would have think that a year to develop this may have been enough?

It seems that many people are buying JB4 or BMW MPPK instead.

Does Cobb have any intention on finalizing this?
__________________
Check out my stuff for sale!BMW Performance Exhaust M3 Competition Reps -Avante Garde M35 Rims with Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, E9X Track Rim & Tire Setup-Toyo R888 & Avante Garde M359,Ohlin's Road & Track & KW coilovers, M3 Upper and Lower Control Arms, Vorshlag, H&R, Front Sway bar with bushings, VRSF Intercooler andCatless Downpipes, Cobb, AFE DCI http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...8#post14547968
jetbill is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #35
Ym.335i
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 bmw 335i in production
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nyc

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Yeah what the hell is taking so long?
Ym.335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #36
jetbill
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: tampa

Posts: 377
iTrader: (3)

Well it's been another month. Is Cobb no longer a forum sponsor?
It would be nice to know the status of if they plan on releasing anything. The ECU code must be on lockdown.
jetbill is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #37
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
 
VNeBLOB42's Avatar
 
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Folsom, Ca

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
007 335i E92  [3.83]
Send a message via Skype™ to VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbill View Post
Well it's been another month. Is Cobb no longer a forum sponsor?
It would be nice to know the status of if they plan on releasing anything. The ECU code must be on lockdown.
Great things come to those who wait. If COBB is taking longer than usual, it's because they want to ensure they start with a solid baseline. Then the community becomes the testers. Looking forward to see what power these F30 and F32 can make.
__________________

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI

Last edited by VNeBLOB42; 08-16-2013 at 12:01 AM.
VNeBLOB42 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #38
jetbill
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: tampa

Posts: 377
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbill View Post
Well it's been another month. Is Cobb no longer a forum sponsor?
It would be nice to know the status of if they plan on releasing anything. The ECU code must be on lockdown.
Great things come to those who wait. If COBB is taking longer than usual, it's because they want to ensure they start with a solid baseline. Then the community becomes the testers. Looking forward to see what power these F30 and F32 can make.
Actually I called them yesterday. It wasn't optimistic. As in "2013" optimistic or even close.

At least that's the interpretation from the conversation...unfortunately.
__________________
Check out my stuff for sale!BMW Performance Exhaust M3 Competition Reps -Avante Garde M35 Rims with Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, E9X Track Rim & Tire Setup-Toyo R888 & Avante Garde M359,Ohlin's Road & Track & KW coilovers, M3 Upper and Lower Control Arms, Vorshlag, H&R, Front Sway bar with bushings, VRSF Intercooler andCatless Downpipes, Cobb, AFE DCI http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...8#post14547968
jetbill is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #39
lazycat
New Member
 
Drives: f30 335i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: sg

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

Guess we'll have to stick with JB4
lazycat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #40
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,591
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbill View Post
Actually I called them yesterday. It wasn't optimistic. As in "2013" optimistic or even close.

At least that's the interpretation from the conversation...unfortunately.
I emaile them about 4 weeks ago. Same impression I got. Nothing solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazycat View Post
Guess we'll have to stick with JB4
Im ordering one...asap
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
 
VNeBLOB42's Avatar
 
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Folsom, Ca

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
007 335i E92  [3.83]
Send a message via Skype™ to VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbill View Post
Actually I called them yesterday. It wasn't optimistic. As in "2013" optimistic or even close.

At least that's the interpretation from the conversation...unfortunately.
Good to know thanks. I just assumed they were working on it based upon the thread. By the time I buy my 335i F32 I am sure they will have one.

Also, COBB is good at hiding things...
__________________

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
VNeBLOB42 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #42
Jay562F30
Private
 
Jay562F30's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 562

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

GO Bms JB4 for now shits great!
__________________
[FONT="Arial Black"]BMS JB4 DownPipe Flex Fuel[/font]
Jay562F30 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #43
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,539
iTrader: (3)

This is my correspondence with Cobb from last week:

"Jameson,

We continue to look at adding support for the F30 328i but at this point, it's a pretty good distance down the project list. Unfortunately, we only have so many resources we can allocate to any one specific platform and BMW is one of the most labor intensive to add and maintain support for. Currently, the biggest projects are getting the N55 Accesstuner Race released, full E9X/E82 N55 support, and then the F30 335i support ready to go. However, the good news is we've already examined the N20 ECU and it's very similar to the F30 N55 setup so once we get into one, the other should be fairly easy. Best guess though- it'll be at least a year or more before we have any N20 support, if at all, but you never know. Priorities could change and we could get a few more engineers to get cracking on it, so there's a always a chance things could happen sooner.

Thanks for choosing COBB!

Thank you,
Jared"
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #44
DVC
Captain
 
DVC's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 860
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Wow, sounds like they are still a ways off for the F30 335 too...
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
DVC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST