F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Return lease tires
jb4store
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
overkill1125
Captain
Canada
14

 
overkill1125's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 664
iTrader: (4)

Return lease tires

Just a question about lease returns.
Do I have to return the lease car with run flat tires or will they accept non-run flat tires?

Asking is because I want new wheels and tires but my new f30 and planning to sell the oem tires to help fund the new setup.

When I return the lease, I'll just get some 2nd hand tires but they might not be run flats. Would that be a problem or is it a must to return the car with run flats.

Please let me know about your experience so I can decide if I could sell. I find it would be a waste to store the new tires for 4yrs until I return the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Dan_335i
Captain
19

 
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toronto


Posts: 880
iTrader: (0)

im pretty sure they want the oem rims/wheels back
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
9

 
SCBimmerKid's Avatar
 
Drives: Mineral Grey F30
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hilton Head, SC


Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

It says in the lease agreement that the car must be returned with Run flats. If not they'll charge you to replace them.
__________________

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: vroom
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle


Posts: 266
iTrader: (1)

need to be run flats, and need to have the BMW star on them
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
phx08
Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
phx08's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV Jetta
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PA


Posts: 480
iTrader: (0)

They want the car as it was when they gave it to you...item-wise.

Source: Worked for CFS and many people thought they could return modified vehicles only to get charged to have the car "fixed"
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
avantix
First Lieutenant
No_Country
13

 
Drives: Titleist 913D2
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal


Posts: 368
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125 View Post
Just a question about lease returns.
Do I have to return the lease car with run flat tires or will they accept non-run flat tires?

Asking is because I want new wheels and tires but my new f30 and planning to sell the oem tires to help fund the new setup.

When I return the lease, I'll just get some 2nd hand tires but they might not be run flats. Would that be a problem or is it a must to return the car with run flats.

Please let me know about your experience so I can decide if I could sell. I find it would be a waste to store the new tires for 4yrs until I return the car.
I am in the EXACT position you are in sir. My car is going back in 2 weeks and I can categorically tell you that you have to have runflats on the vehicle and the size has to match what is written on the tag that is located on the inside of the driver's door near the lock catch. Furthermore BMW Canada will only accept 5 brands of tires and they must again be runflat. Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear and one more that I can't remember now.
__________________
2013 335i Xdrive Mineral Gray Coral red 6 MT loaded

2009 335i Alpine White M sport package 6 MT
2006 Jet Black / Black ZSP 325i 6MT
2004 Jet Black / Black 320i 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
18

 
drob23's Avatar
 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan


Posts: 1,693
iTrader: (1)

Hmm my guess is the only way to work this is find a local BMW owner with the same setup. Then sell them the new tires and exchange for their worn down used ones. Probably won't get too much (also factoring the mounting) but at least something rather than letting brand new tires rot away in your garage.
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Mako
2000 M Roadster (sold), 2006 M Coupe (sold)
United_States
40

 
Drives: '12 X3 35i M Spt '13 335 M Spt
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago


Posts: 1,336
iTrader: (0)

Because of this I am getting some non RF tires now (OEMs have 2,000 miles on them) and will put the RFs back on before turning in the lease.

I havea 36K mile lease and even though I also use winter tires, the RFs will not last until the end of the lease, so I would rather drive on my prefered summer non RF tire now and give them back their OEM tires rather than having to buy new Run Flats (which run about $400 more per set).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
18

 
drob23's Avatar
 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan


Posts: 1,693
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Because of this I am getting some non RF tires now (OEMs have 2,000 miles on them) and will put the RFs back on before turning in the lease.

I havea 36K mile lease and even though I also use winter tires, the RFs will not last until the end of the lease, so I would rather drive on my prefered summer non RF tire now and give them back their OEM tires rather than having to buy new Run Flats (which run about $400 more per set).
Wait, you don't think the RF's on the car will go 36k miles if you are running snow tires for ~4 months of the year? Assuming equal driving miles/mnth that's only 24k miles on the tires.

Even though they're RF's, they've got to be nice ones? I'd just try and trade them with someone else and at least get *something*. This seems like another reason why leasing isn't great.
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
11

 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal


Posts: 732
iTrader: (0)

With some dealers this may just go over their head and won't notice... it's worth a try. If they don't take them, head to a NTB and get some put on (For a NTB discount, see this post from another forum). Still worked as of a few months ago
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
mntbiker
Lieutenant
United_States
10

 
mntbiker's Avatar
 
Drives: 435i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC


Posts: 476
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Wait, you don't think the RF's on the car will go 36k miles if you are running snow tires for ~4 months of the year? Assuming equal driving miles/mnth that's only 24k miles on the tires.

Even though they're RF's, they've got to be nice ones? I'd just try and trade them with someone else and at least get *something*. This seems like another reason why leasing isn't great.
FWIW, the rear RFTs on my car wore out in about 8k miles. Because of the M sport staggered setup on my car, I can't rotate them so they wear out a lot faster. I swapped out all 4 tires for non-RFTs and put 22k miles on those rears! (Granted, they are a Max Performance All Season Tire vs. Summer.) In a few months i'll put my original front RFTs back on the car with some new rears before turn in.

For my next lease I will definitely swap out my RFTs around 2-3k miles and save them until I need to turn the car in. The Performance tire shop that I went to actually said that many of their BMW customers swap out the RFTs immediately on the new cars and save them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
infinitigor
Captain
14

 
Drives: 13' 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC


Posts: 884
iTrader: (8)

NOT ONLY do they have to be runflats, but they also have to have about 75% or more thread left!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
113

 
e90im's Avatar
 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA


Posts: 3,108
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
NOT ONLY do they have to be runflats, but they also have to have about 75% or more thread left!
1/8" (4/32) thread
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
infinitigor
Captain
14

 
Drives: 13' 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC


Posts: 884
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
1/8" (4/32) thread
what would you say that is equivalent too?

20% left, 40% left. etc not sure

i think i got SCREWED royally on my last lease return. Tires had about 50% thread left, and i had to pay for new tires. The lease specialist said it needed to have 75 percent left, wow =[
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
citrixscu's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i EB II
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Gatos, CA


Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

If you financed through BMW, you will definitely need to return your car with RFTs. If you financed through a bank and have to return it to the bank lease guy, you might be able to get away with it.
__________________
14 F30 335i 8AT EB II - MPPK, MPE, MP Grilles, MP Diffuser
11 E92 335is 6MT Le Mans
07 E92 335i 6MT Montego
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
113

 
e90im's Avatar
 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA


Posts: 3,108
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
what would you say that is equivalent too?

20% left, 40% left. etc not sure

i think i got SCREWED royally on my last lease return. Tires had about 50% thread left, and i had to pay for new tires. The lease specialist said it needed to have 75 percent left, wow =[
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...tionFlash.aspx
Attached Images
 
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
18

 
drob23's Avatar
 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan


Posts: 1,693
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker View Post
FWIW, the rear RFTs on my car wore out in about 8k miles. Because of the M sport staggered setup on my car, I can't rotate them so they wear out a lot faster. I swapped out all 4 tires for non-RFTs and put 22k miles on those rears! (Granted, they are a Max Performance All Season Tire vs. Summer.) In a few months i'll put my original front RFTs back on the car with some new rears before turn in.

For my next lease I will definitely swap out my RFTs around 2-3k miles and save them until I need to turn the car in. The Performance tire shop that I went to actually said that many of their BMW customers swap out the RFTs immediately on the new cars and save them.
Wow...I guess I have no perspective for tire life, that's crazy. Are you chirping tires and drifting turns or that's just everyday driving? I suppose there's a gray area, but still, that's pretty short tire life on a presumably expensive OEM tire.
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
18

 
drob23's Avatar
 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan


Posts: 1,693
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrixscu View Post
If you financed through BMW, you will definitely need to return your car with RFTs. If you financed through a bank and have to return it to the bank lease guy, you might be able to get away with it.
I didn't even realize you could finance a lease through a separate bank. How do they set the residual value? My understanding is that BMWFS heavily subsidizes leasing by means of setting high residuals - which is why BMW's lease so much better than competitors.
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
citrixscu's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i EB II
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Gatos, CA


Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I didn't even realize you could finance a lease through a separate bank. How do they set the residual value? My understanding is that BMWFS heavily subsidizes leasing by means of setting high residuals - which is why BMW's lease so much better than competitors.
I cannot speak for how residuals are set, though in my experience BMWFS's rates were better on the last 2 cars I leased. I think US Bank provided a quote.
__________________
14 F30 335i 8AT EB II - MPPK, MPE, MP Grilles, MP Diffuser
11 E92 335is 6MT Le Mans
07 E92 335i 6MT Montego
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
25

 
ad78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT


Posts: 818
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to ad78
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrixscu View Post
If you financed through BMW, you will definitely need to return your car with RFTs. If you financed through a bank and have to return it to the bank lease guy, you might be able to get away with it.
Not true. Our X5 was financed via bmw and all tired were replaced by a non rft and they did not charge me.

A friend of mine returned his lease without the rft and no charge was taken too.

I believe as long as you are sticking with the wheels you are safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
vwvwvw
New Member
0

 
Drives: 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego


Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad78 View Post
Not true. Our X5 was financed via bmw and all tired were replaced by a non rft and they did not charge me.

A friend of mine returned his lease without the rft and no charge was taken too.

I believe as long as you are sticking with the wheels you are safe.
Did your X5 and your friend's car have spares in them?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
25

 
ad78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT


Posts: 818
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to ad78
No spare because original setup was rft. My x5 was tradein just this march and I have the F30 now.

this through bmw financing.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST