F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > SIB/TSB: BMW will reprogram Auto Start-Stop to default to last user mode
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #199
discoboy1
Major
Canada
30

 
discoboy1's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 1M VO/E30 M3/F30 328D
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal


Posts: 1,348
iTrader: (3)

Any body was successful in getting this coded in Canada under warranty?
__________________
2011 E82 1M VO
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #200
itwasepic
Private
United_States
5

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The North


Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
+1
Agreed. However, and I understand their position, I spoke with the Sales Manager and BMW will not be releasing (last he heard) the ability to default the drive setting to the last user-set setting. It's all about BMW having the ability to post the MPG numbers they do.

BTW, had my A.S.S. reconfiguration done yesterday. Took about 90 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #201
OzGobo
New Member
Australia
0

 
Drives: F30 320d Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sydney Australia


Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Smile BMW Australia Finally Agreed To Recode My Car - After A Fight

Hey there,

After a bit of a fight which involved some growling, name calling and gnashing of teeth before almost degenerating into scratching, kicking and hair pulling, BMW Australia have finally agreed to recode my car without charge. It wasn't pretty but I prevailed in the end. Thanks to everyone on here sharing their experience - it helped a lot in getting BMW Oz to do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #202
xDRAN0x
Private
Canada
0

 
Drives: 2013 335ix M Package
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal


Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Any body was successful in getting this coded in Canada under warranty?
Taking delivery of my 335xi M package next week, dealer is not aware about this update.

Last edited by xDRAN0x; 05-17-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #203
xDRAN0x
Private
Canada
0

 
Drives: 2013 335ix M Package
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal


Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Any body was successful in getting this coded in Canada under warranty?
I will let you know, probably will have to move mountains to get this done.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #204
ademitt
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: F31 MSport
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary, AB


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Any body was successful in getting this coded in Canada under warranty?
My F31 was held up at port to get this coding completed. I was told prior to the car being built that there was one free coding on ASS prior to delivery. On a new delivery, it is possible. It would be very hard to have it added on warranty I would think.
__________________
2014 F31, Estoril Blue, MSport Line, M Performance, Premium, Executive, and Rear Comfort packages

23 Previous BMW's
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #205
xDRAN0x
Private
Canada
0

 
Drives: 2013 335ix M Package
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal


Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademitt View Post
My F31 was held up at port to get this coding completed. I was told prior to the car being built that there was one free coding on ASS prior to delivery. On a new delivery, it is possible. It would be very hard to have it added on warranty I would think.
Can you tell me which dealer exactly ? Mine says its impossible and if it had to be done, it would cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #206
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
Infamouz627's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC


Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

My CA just told me that it can be done, however, I must have driven it for a minimum of 8k miles before they can code ASS off
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #207
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
21

 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
My CA just told me that it can be done, however, I must have driven it for a minimum of 8k miles before they can code ASS off
That's BS. Speak to another SA. My SA said he heard of other dealerships pushing you to drive for a little while (8M miles is ridiculous) but he basically said: it is your car and who am I to tell you that you cannot do this.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #208
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
Infamouz627's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC


Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
That's BS. Speak to another SA. My SA said he heard of other dealerships pushing you to drive for a little while (8M miles is ridiculous) but he basically said: it is your car and who am I to tell you that you cannot do this.
I figured that much. Why would the dealership care whether you code it off or not? Is there some kind of incentive for them if we don't turn it off?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #209
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
21

 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
I figured that much. Why would the dealership care whether you code it off or not? Is there some kind of incentive for them if we don't turn it off?
I believe that BMW prefers that ASS is left on for MPG reporting reasons. As a result, some dealerships take the highly conservative route of "making" you drive it for a certain period of time hoping that you will ultimately like it. That being said, and my SA agreed, I have the right to shut off a "feature" after shelling out $50M+ for a car.

I suggest either trying another dealership or calling a different SA at yours. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #210
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
Infamouz627's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC


Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I believe that BMW prefers that ASS is left on for MPG reporting reasons. As a result, some dealerships take the highly conservative route of "making" you drive it for a certain period of time hoping that you will ultimately like it. That being said, and my SA agreed, I have the right to shut off a "feature" after shelling out $50M+ for a car.

I suggest either trying another dealership or calling a different SA at yours. Good luck!
Guess I'll be taking my car to another service center. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #211
chuckles01
Private
1

 
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CA


Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

So... I called the dealer a couple of times. The first time they had no clue you could reprogram auto-start/stop, and had to transfer me around to a few different service guys. Finally, one guy said that they'd have to request authorization from BMW HQ and that it would take a few days. Is that even right??

The next time I spoke with my CA, he mentioned that the reprogram is to turn the feature off *permanently*, and not put it in last user mode. I haven't taken delivery of my car yet, but he said that even if they could, I'd have to make a separate appointment to come back after taking delivery of the car.

Why does this process sound so complicated? Also, I have a 2014 model - does anyone know if the newer ones are set to last user mode by default?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #212
dwalls90
Captain
United_States
10

 
Drives: F30 M Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Washington, DC


Posts: 983
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
So... I called the dealer a couple of times. The first time they had no clue you could reprogram auto-start/stop, and had to transfer me around to a few different service guys. Finally, one guy said that they'd have to request authorization from BMW HQ and that it would take a few days. Is that even right??

The next time I spoke with my CA, he mentioned that the reprogram is to turn the feature off *permanently*, and not put it in last user mode. I haven't taken delivery of my car yet, but he said that even if they could, I'd have to make a separate appointment to come back after taking delivery of the car.

Why does this process sound so complicated? Also, I have a 2014 model - does anyone know if the newer ones are set to last user mode by default?
Some dealers are stupid. If I were you, I'd call around until you find one that knows exactly what you are talking about and doesn't seem unknowledgeable. Otherwise, you will likely end up with bad results and just wasted time and a headache.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #213
RonSwanson
**Fortune Favors The Brave**
United_States
4

 
RonSwanson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I love my car but I feel extremely disappointed with BMW in general for making it so difficult to have this recoding done for their customers who want it done. I haven't even made an effort since I see everyone on the forums having so much difficulty in convincing dealerships to do it for free... I just don't have the time for any battles right now. Why can't all BMW dealerships just make the update available, inform ALL dealerships about it and do it for us without their service techs (at best) pleading the fifth when we even ask?

Its great to shut the engine off when a train is passing and you have 5 minutes to kill. But aside from that I think the ASS "feature" can be UNSAFE. When I come to a stop to make a right turn onto a busy street, the hesitation of the engine not being at idle when I need to go is likely to cause an accident. I suppose BMW will wait until someone makes the 10 o clock news because their ASS "feature" caused an accident. I've learned to turn it off as soon as my car starts but I hate that I have to do something like this on a (as mentioned) 50k+ car. The combination of listening to music and forgetting to turn it off could lead to problems. That window of opportunity we get to merge onto another street is important and needs to be predictable. That one second delay could cause someone to slam into your car or hit someone else while trying to avoid the car that couldn't get on the street at a safe speed. Its like when you see someone merging onto the freeway at 35 mph. They create an unsafe environment for others and themselves.

I've had my m sport for almost a year now and when I finally go in for my service I will insist on having this done but sadly, I will not hold my breath.

Last edited by RonSwanson; 08-01-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #214
lewes2
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lewes, DE


Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Wow, I am simply amazed that so many dealers are real jerks. Fortunately, I seem to have an enlightened one. With only about 500 miles on the car, my CA walked me back to the service department, introduced me to the manager, and arranged an appointment to have the ASS recoded. They also scheduled an f30 loaner.

When asked, my CA said about half of his customers have the ASS recoded, mostly all his older ones. .
__________________
Chuck
2002 330cic & 2013 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #215
ATX78703
Major
22

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX


Posts: 1,001
iTrader: (0)

I remember when I asked my SA 'what are people complaining about with this new 3 series'? He was very honest and said the #1 thing is the ASS feature. "We can disable it for you right away for you however..."

Our dealer here is very receptive to customer input - i am pleased reading these other comments about other dealerships.
__________________
2014 335i RWD: ZMM, ZDA, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 2NH, 2TB, 5DL; Z4A MPPK; AW ext / VB int

2014 ML350: P01, R33, 297, 319, 846, 864, 889, 996; LB ext / AB int
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #216
chuckles01
Private
1

 
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CA


Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
I remember when I asked my SA 'what are people complaining about with this new 3 series'? He was very honest and said the #1 thing is the ASS feature. "We can disable it for you right away for you however..."

Our dealer here is very receptive to customer input - i am pleased reading these other comments about other dealerships.
My CA said that too when I was test driving. But now that I've ordered the car and am awaiting delivery, it just seems that much more complicated. :\
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #217
valley_nomad
New Member
0

 
Drives: Nissan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Silicon Valley


Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Unhappy

I also have found that it is very difficult to have my new 328i recoded by BMW service. Mine told me that they will do it only when the car is serviced after at least 12,000 miles which may be one year away . They claimed that it is the BMW official rule --- obviously a big lie as we have heard so many different conditions (e.g. 5,000 or 10,000 mils etc) on the forum

It looks like I have to do it by myself...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #218
chuckles01
Private
1

 
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CA


Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
I also have found that it is very difficult to have my new 328i recoded by BMW service. Mine told me that they will do it only when the car is serviced after at least 12,000 miles which may be one year away . They claimed that it is the BMW official rule --- obviously a big lie as we have heard so many different conditions (e.g. 5,000 or 10,000 mils etc) on the forum

It looks like I have to do it by myself...
valley_nomad looks like we're in the same area - SF bay area, yeah? Mind sharing which dealer told you that? Mine was BMW SF. That way we know to go ask different dealers about the reprogram.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #219
CLittle
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

Wow, you've been driving around for a year pushing that auto start stop button every time you start the engine? That's crazy, my oc dealer didn't give me any grief to reprogram to remember last user setting. And I got to drive a 528 while they reprogrammed it (takes one night I believe to get authorization and to download via 14.4k baud modem).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #220
valley_nomad
New Member
0

 
Drives: Nissan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Silicon Valley


Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
valley_nomad looks like we're in the same area - SF bay area, yeah? Mind sharing which dealer told you that? Mine was BMW SF. That way we know to go ask different dealers about the reprogram.
Mine is BMW of Mountain View. My CA was super nice. But SA is just too terrible...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3 series f30, 3 series f30 forum, 3 series forum, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3-series f30, bmw f30, bmw f30 3-series, bmw f30 forum, f30 3 series recall, f30 3 series recalls, f30 3-series, f30 3-series forum, f30 335 sib, f30 335i service bulletin, f30 335i stall, f30 335i tsb, f30 auto start stop fix, f30 auto start stop sib, f30 auto start stop stall, f30 auto start stop tsb, f30 forum, f30 forums, f30 head rest fix, f30 head rest service bulletin, f30 headrest fix, f30 recall, f30 recalls, f30 service bulletin, f30 service bulletins, f30 sib, f30 stall, f30 stalling, f30 start stop fix, f30 start stop stall, f30 start stop stalling, f30 tsb

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST