F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Road & Track: 328i Showdown (F30 vs E90)
Studio RSR

07-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #133
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeron
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Here's my 2 cents...

E9X>F30

For reason's in this order: Steering, design style (both exterior, front end, and interior, iPad in dash look), engine, 8 AT (while smooth and quick shifting it just bounces around too much for my tastes) and lastly MPG (real world MPG is not realistic compared to EPA figures in relation to E9X, you rev the crap out of it to actually enjoy it and therefore get crappy gas mileage).

Everyone who raves about the F30 is doing so b/c they own one not b/c it is truly better (driver engagment). If you're looking at technological updates, then yes, the F30 is far superior. But looking at what I listed most of those are based on driving engagement not technology.

People always want the newest because they think its better but that is not always the case depending on what way you're looking at it.

Umm.... the automatic of the E90 was terrible. It was universally agreed that the E90 automatic was garbage. It was slow to shift when you needed it making you have to floor it to get the car to shift. Further more if your car did come with Paddle shifters the paddles during that time only upshifted...

Interior styling and exterior? Anyone who "loves" Bmw "tradition" hated the E90 because its exterior had japanese styling. It had a rounded body and slanted headlights reminiscent of a Nissan. When you compare the boxy look of every BMW before it only to have this round honda accord looking body styling... it was just shameful.

The interior of the E90 was just pathetic. The steering wheel felt cheap, the dash materials were of low quality, and the outright design ergonomics was horrid.. just look at the cup holder locations but worst of all is the E90s iDrive system..... the iDrive system alone is the chief reason not to buy the car.

People who rave about the E90 are the people who either cannot afford to buy a new BMW or... no that really is just it because no one would stay in those shitboxes. The only thing good about the E90 years was the M3 and M5. The E90 crowd is like the old whiny Porsche owners who angry that their air cooled engine Porsches were inferior to the newest cars. In reality they weren't angry about the new Porsches.. they were just angry because they couldn't afford a better Porsche.
As someone who opted out of the E90 I have to second your opinion on the interior. It's coming to me as a surprise that now in 2013 the E90 interior was somehow special. This was not the case in pre 2011. It's funny how fuzzy our memory gets at times and we try to rewrite history.

E90/92 M3 is a different story and I think you have already said that

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #134
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyc
Scumbag R&T
Here's quote from car and driver.

"Is the F30-generation BMW 3-series genuinely superior its E90 predecessor? That debate rages at Car and Driver, and after nine months and 27,000 miles on the road in a 2012 328i, we’re still straddling the fence on this subject."

And that's not the only one.

Seriously, I do not remember articles like this regarding e46 vs e90, or previous generations.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #135
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel
Quote:
Scumbag R&T

"Is the F30-generation BMW 3-series genuinely superior its E90 predecessor? That debate rages at Car and Driver, and after nine months and 27,000 miles on the road in a 2012 328i, we’re still straddling the fence on this subject."

Seriously, I do not remember articles like this regarding e46 vs e90, or previous generations.
No where in that article is CD saying the E90 is better than the F30, NOWHERE.

Again this is an example of trying to grab onto the slightest bit of information to justify age.

Thanks for posting this by the way so we can now all agree that RT is the only magazine which believes the E90 328i beats the F30 328i. I still maintain that opinion is laughable

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #136
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Also the E90 pre LCI was probably the ugliest BMW ever made.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #137
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90
At some stage the truth has to come out and history corrected.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #138
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd
Here we go with crappy materials again. Such a silly argument. Actually compare them and you will see how silly you sound! start with the M steering wheel and work your way around. Another ill informed e9x bash point.

IMHO:

f30 335i is light years ahead of the dated (even lci) e90 version, It's just that simple. I will even take the F30 every time over that dingy outdated car. It drab un-inspired and boring. Id did not even want to get back inside it when driving it and the F30 back to back, it was just such a downgrade. I even prefer the steering on the F30, the e90 was to heavy and un-responsive due to the effort required. So, as I said, thanks BMW for making the new 3 modern and a compelling car to drive and own, a true step forward in every sense. Cheers to BMW for making a great successor to the e90 line, they got it right, just like they always do!

I'm sorry if its not the answer you want but the reason it upsets you e9x owners is because you know its true. Bash, bash bash away the care is great!

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
I have driven a few F30s and I have to agree with this comparison. I was most disappointed by the steering and crappy interior materials. F30 is a nice car but it just doesn't feel like BMW set out to improve the driving experience. When I read that this is the most profitable 3 series ever it seemed to line up with some of the complaints I had.
What answer was I looking for exactly? I was just sharing my opinion. Sorry if that upsets you and that you feel the need to defend your purchase (that says a lot actually). I'm glad you like your car, but I honestly disagree with all of your opinions.

Furthermore, I could care less how new and advanced a car is. I'm just as happy driving my e36 m3 as I am any of my other cars. So maybe I'm different than others, but if I liked the F30 I would have bought one.
      07-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #139
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
...but at least the E90 was useful. Now, the X6, there's one that's both ugly and useless. Still, maybe you were just talking about cars and not SUV's, so can't disagree.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #140
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
What answer was I looking for exactly? I was just sharing my opinion. Sorry if that upsets you and that you feel the need to defend your purchase (that says a lot actually). I'm glad you like your car, but I honestly disagree with all of your opinions.

Furthermore, I could care less how new and advanced a car is. I'm just as happy driving my e36 m3 as I am any of my other cars. So maybe I'm different than others, but if I liked the F30 I would have bought one.
Crappy materials? You have an E36 that used Nagahide..... You also drive an E90 M3 which has vastly updated interior vs an E90 BMW who materials are about on par with a C5 corvette (which is horrible).

Do not try to use this "LOL you have to defend your purchase.. BUYERS REMORSE!" implication. An implied insult is just as bad a direct, but at least the person who directly insults has the bravado to directly demean someone.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #141
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
...but at least the E90 was useful. Now, the X6, there's one that's both ugly and useless. Still, maybe you were just talking about cars and not SUV's, so can't disagree.
I like the X6 but yeah... that thing is an albatross. The X6 is more about driving then it is about is practicality. My guess is you would buy that thing if you only need the space of an X3 but you want... I am at a loss for words....

I would buy an X5..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #142
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel
Quote:
Scumbag R&T

No where in that article is CD saying the E90 is better than the F30, NOWHERE.

Again this is an example of trying to grab onto the slightest bit of information to justify age.

Thanks for posting this by the way so we can now all agree that RT is the only magazine which believes the E90 328i beats the F30 328i. I still maintain that opinion is laughable
Well you just set yourself up. Here's another quote from car and driver (and there's more, but next time search yourself, please)

"Our grave concern here is that, with each new car it introduces, BMW seems to wrap more padding around the sensations and feel that make them great—while its competitors only zero in more tightly on those same attributes. (We’re convinced that the E90 would handily win a comparison test against the F30.) "
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #143
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

The N20 wasn't bad at all. I drove it about 500mi each in a Z4 and F30. I DD a diesel, so midrange power is what I am used to. I hardly ever go past 4k rpms in my car driving around, and as the N20, it felt about the same.

The steering was actually not too bad. I liked the fact you can make it much more stiff when needed. As a DD car with some spirited driving, the F30 did fine.

The the only complaint I have with the F30 was the interior. My friends "non-luxury" packaged 25k 2012 Acura TL has a better interior than this BMW, if that tells you anything.

Would I buy a F30? Probably not. Then again, I never drove the 335i version yet. If they offered a 3.0 TT diesel then I may consider it. I, like many other diesel owners, like the D too much to switch.
      07-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #144
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
Well you just set yourself up. Here's another quote from car and driver (and there's more, but next time search yourself, please)

"Our grave concern here is that, with each new car it introduces, BMW seems to wrap more padding around the sensations and feel that make them great—while its competitors only zero in more tightly on those same attributes. (We’re convinced that the E90 would handily win a comparison test against the F30.) "
I wonder if the hypothetical comparison test would put the E90 winning in subjective categories to win. Quick someone pull up actual tests (1/4 mile, braking, slalom, mpg, features, tech, etc) and do a comparison. All I hear is well I think X 'feels' better than Y therefore it is better. Maybe better needs a definition?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #145
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
The N20 wasn't bad at all. I drove it about 500mi each in a Z4 and F30. I DD a diesel, so midrange power is what I am used to. I hardly ever go past 4k rpms in my car driving around, and as the N20, it felt about the same.

The steering was actually not too bad. I liked the fact you can make it much more stiff when needed. As a DD car with some spirited driving, the F30 did fine.

The the only complaint I have with the F30 was the interior. My friends "non-luxury" packaged 25k 2012 Acura TL has a better interior than this BMW, if that tells you anything.

Would I buy a F30? Probably not. Then again, I never drove the 335i version yet. If they offered a 3.0 TT diesel then I may consider it. I, like many other diesel owners, like the D too much to switch.

Does'nt this say it all? A diesel owner feels the n20 is a good feeling and cannot really tell much difference from a diesel.

Enough said. Let bmw offer a diesel like they always have but no need for their NA offering to be dieselesque
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #146
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
This is a function of the competition catching up to BMW and that's good for everyone. Its not like the E90 335i was not beaten by a G35, S4 and Acura TL shawd in some of comparisons out there.
Not sure about 335i, but in C&D comparos G35 was beaten by e90 328i, believe it or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #147
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I wonder if the hypothetical comparison test would put the E90 winning in subjective categories to win. Quick someone pull up actual tests (1/4 mile, braking, slalom, mpg, features, tech, etc) and do a comparison. All I hear is well I think X 'feels' better than Y therefore it is better. Maybe better needs a definition?
No one says e90 328i is faster than f30 328i. (But as far as I remember e90 335i is faster than f30 335i though). But if you care of acceleration this much - why haven't you bought yourself a Mustang?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #148
jtodd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeron
Quote:
Here's my 2 cents...

E9X>F30

For reason's in this order: Steering, design style (both exterior, front end, and interior, iPad in dash look), engine, 8 AT (while smooth and quick shifting it just bounces around too much for my tastes) and lastly MPG (real world MPG is not realistic compared to EPA figures in relation to E9X, you rev the crap out of it to actually enjoy it and therefore get crappy gas mileage).

Everyone who raves about the F30 is doing so b/c they own one not b/c it is truly better (driver engagment). If you're looking at technological updates, then yes, the F30 is far superior. But looking at what I listed most of those are based on driving engagement not technology.

People always want the newest because they think its better but that is not always the case depending on what way you're looking at it.

Umm.... the automatic of the E90 was terrible. It was universally agreed that the E90 automatic was garbage. It was slow to shift when you needed it making you have to floor it to get the car to shift. Further more if your car did come with Paddle shifters the paddles during that time only upshifted...

Interior styling and exterior? Anyone who "loves" Bmw "tradition" hated the E90 because its exterior had japanese styling. It had a rounded body and slanted headlights reminiscent of a Nissan. When you compare the boxy look of every BMW before it only to have this round honda accord looking body styling... it was just shameful.

The interior of the E90 was just pathetic. The steering wheel felt cheap, the dash materials were of low quality, and the outright design ergonomics was horrid.. just look at the cup holder locations but worst of all is the E90s iDrive system..... the iDrive system alone is the chief reason not to buy the car.

People who rave about the E90 are the people who either cannot afford to buy a new BMW or... no that really is just it because no one would stay in those shitboxes. The only thing good about the E90 years was the M3 and M5. The E90 crowd is like the old whiny Porsche owners who are angry that their air cooled engine Porsches were inferior to the newest cars. In reality they weren't angry about the new Porsches.. they were just angry because they couldn't afford a better Porsche.
And everybody getting so mad about E90 preference is upset because they spent $45k on an F30 last month. Unfortunately just about everything you said here was your opinion and yours alone save a handful of people. Anyone who loves true BMW hated E90? Well if that were true than the F-series is even FURTHER from "traditional" BMW looks and it's "universal" that some of the "traditional" BMW feel was lost on the F30. Go on a @&$% Mercedes forum with that $#|!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #149
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's my 2 cents...

E9X>F30

Suspension design in general remains the same, but lightweight arms were replaced by heavier steel ones in f30.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #150
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
At some stage the truth has to come out and history corrected.
The LCI did fix many of these issues, but the E90 wasn't really more attractive than the E46 I don't think.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #151
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

This forum needs a *grabs popcorn* emote.

This is funny to read even if it's mostly self-motived ranting and raving
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #152
raffyg2388
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328i I6

[QUOTE=tc328]
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggity317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeron View Post

This.

I'm right there with you, this completely baffles me. Everyone is all "Oh no! A REAL BMW doesn't have a 4 cylinder engine, that's the poor man's BMW!" It's like saying "Oh, you just have a 16GB Apple iPhone? That's the poor man's iPhone, a REAL Apple enthusiast owns AT LEAST a 32GB."

Having come from a e92 M3 with competition package, DCT, and M Performance exhaust I can say that my current 328 F30 puts the same smile on my face. The only thing I miss about the M3 is the sound, I can't deny that. Driving the M3, I'd get to my destination and have to change my pants...

If that was your theory than you went from a 64g ipad to a 16mb Coby mp3 player ahahaha
lol!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #153
raffyg2388
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328i I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen

Only wins in style-that is the conclusion you and they had?

You did not see how the F30 is a faster car in every meaningful test (they did not show handling/braking figures) while providing more room, features and getting better fuel economy?

Yeah-none of that happened. It was only superior in style(which is completely subjective anyway).
I literally could not give less of a damn about numbers. I care about how a car feels. In that regard the E90 wins big time. If waving your dick around saying you have 0.1mm more arm room, 1cm more legroom, you go zero to sixty in 0.4 seconds less, or that your car pulls 0.1 more G's than someone else's car provides a great feeling car for you thats fine. It doesn't for me. Yes, the F30 has more grip. Yes, might even be faster around a track. Read my words, that doesn't matter to me. I want a car that is fun to drive rather than quick. I have driven both cars yet own neither, so I have an relatively unbiased opinion. From my many test drives and loaner cars, I came to the same conclusion as they did. As for fuel economy, the difference is negligible at best in the real world.
+1000. thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #154
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post

We like the F30 design a lot. From certain angles, the aggressive front can feel like it's from a different car than the rest of the body, but we like it the more we looked it over. It's almost possible to think that the Germans have nearly perfected the art of taking a few risks on a mainstream model while at the same time realizing how to arrive at an enduring design inside and out. Couple these looks with a more dynamically accomplished chassis, and this might just be the best driving 3 Series ever... and the best car in the segment. Again.

...they also said that when they named it one of the 10 Best Cars of 2012. Ever think that maybe you're easily led?
Appreciate 0