F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > ZF 8 Auto Tran
proTUNING Freaks

02-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

ZF 8 Auto Tran

I will try the best to explain this and the problem I am having, not sure if its common with the 8T.

When first taking off in the morning even (where it is most noticeable) with a cold even a somewhat warmed up engine, as I slow and come to a complete stop at a stop sign or traffic lights, that first sec that I have come to a complete stop the car lurches forward and then stops.

After the first few months of delivery, I noticed it happening once or twice, now it appears to do it more regularly, another regular occurrence is pulling into my garage at night, I now have to park a little bit further back than normal, as once I come to a complete stop, car into park, engine off, then I take my foot off the brake to get out, it lurches forward.. I am guess this is not normal at all? I have hid the brick wall once as a result and had her in the shop for minor surgery :-(

Talking to a friend of mine, now I don't how to explain the technology used, however he said that apparently some ZF transmissions can be option by the car company (BMW for example) to have some sort of valve release on the transmission, (to assist with fuel economy etc) that when you apply the brakes and come to a complete stop, a valve opens to release the pressure against the transmission, once you release the brake, the valve closes and away you go. Now I am not sure if this is the case with the ZF 8T, however it would make sense if the valve was on the ZF and was faulty or sticking.

Obviously I'm 500ks from my dealership and it is due for its service in the next few weeks so I will have them check it out, just wanted to see if I was alone on this one.. the transmission and car has never been driven hard (maybe thats its problem :thump: ) and apart from the lurching, operates seamlessly and smooth ..
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Wow. What a horrible problem to have.
The issue you describe must be a real concern for you. I can't imagine how disconcerting it must be for you on a daily basis. You must be in panic-mode every time you pull up at a set of lights or when parallel parking close to other cars.
I am extremely glad that it has not happened to me (especially as my garage is very tight, length-wise).
I would talk to your dealer and see if you can bring your service forward. The chances of causing more damage to your car (or others) would warrant getting it fixed ASAP.
      02-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I actually have what you are having. I dont know if it was a problem but that lurch forward does happen from time to time for me (maybe 1 or twice a week)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Wow, when I park my car in the garage, the front of my car is only mm from the wall. I've never experienced this issue. Now I'm somewhat concerned as it could happen at any time to any of our cars. I will certainly be parking further back from the wall from now on.

Do you also apply the hand brake when parking?

Yes, certainly have it checked and fixed as it's dangerous and as you've experienced, upsetting and costly. Hope you have it sorted asap.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Wow, when I park my car in the garage, the front of my car is only mm from the wall. I've never experienced this issue. Now I'm somewhat concerned as it could happen at any time to any of our cars. I will certainly be parking further back from the wall from now on.

Do you also apply the hand brake when parking?

Yes, certainly have it checked and fixed as it's dangerous and as you've experienced, upsetting and costly. Hope you have it sorted asap.
Yeah mine started out once or twice a week, then seems to have gotten more frequent lately.

I don't use the handbrake often, however, its weird as its not rolling, its like a mechanical lurch forward, like the car wants to go forward even with the engine off.

Im about 1,900 ks from my service, so I will take it to Perth in the next few weeks, have emailed the SA though
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I was very mindful of my parking today, which I had to do a few times today.
The car locks (its wheels) into place wherever it's stopped.
I've even started parking a greater distance away from everything, just in case, but my car has never lurched forward (or backward) when parking.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #7
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Yep mine does the same especially when doing the start stop function. As expected the service department couldn't replicate so I just gave up. To be honest I have owned quite a few BMW Cars and this one has been way more problematic. Also BMW service has gone to garbage so I think this will be my last BMW as said as it is to say.
      02-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
Yep mine does the same especially when doing the start stop function. As expected the service department couldn't replicate so I just gave up. To be honest I have owned quite a few BMW Cars and this one has been way more problematic. Also BMW service has gone to garbage so I think this will be my last BMW as said as it is to say.
Mate I think I am with you. This one has by far had the most dramas of all the others ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So i contacted my very helpful SA, no he really is helpful with my list of items for its up and coming service and this was his answer to the lurching problem.

"Transmission lurching, we have experienced this issue on some of our f30 320d and believe this can be rectified with clearing of transmission adaptions and up-dating transmission software level"

What ever this means haha guess I will wait and see. As for being a problematic model, this is my first ever BMW and while I believe it has suffered quite a few issues, some large some big, I don't think it will turn me off BMW...just yet. ... I know people who've had Audi and Mercedes and had the same sort of headaches
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
"Transmission lurching, we have experienced this issue on some of our f30 320d
At least your dealer's service department acknowledges the issue. As you are aware, many times they just plead ignorance.

Quote:
What ever this means
It seems to be the norm these days resetting anything processor controlled & updating (if there is one) the software. Off car topic but still on topic, my NAD amp recently decided to drop out of decoding anything except for 'down mix' audio output.

OK, it's some years old, but still performs perfectly. A quick - I mean it's a 2 button operation to reset the unit and bingo! Everything's operational again. Dolby Digital, DTS etc.

Just popped in all the previous listening distance (5.1 receiver) settings & it's been just fine.

Hoping a reset will be the same for your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Hivetyrant
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 328i - Sports

Mine does this when I pop it in park, as soon as I release the brake it jumps forward sometimes.

Figured it was (somewhat) normal, now I'm not so sure!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #12
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
At least your dealer's service department acknowledges the issue. As you are aware, many times they just plead ignorance.

It seems to be the norm these days resetting anything processor controlled & updating (if there is one) the software. Off car topic but still on topic, my NAD amp recently decided to drop out of decoding anything except for 'down mix' audio output.

OK, it's some years old, but still performs perfectly. A quick - I mean it's a 2 button operation to reset the unit and bingo! Everything's operational again. Dolby Digital, DTS etc.

Just popped in all the previous listening distance (5.1 receiver) settings & it's been just fine.

Hoping a reset will be the same for your car.
Yeah I know what you mean, and hopefully yes... will keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #13
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
Mine does this when I pop it in park, as soon as I release the brake it jumps forward sometimes.

Figured it was (somewhat) normal, now I'm not so sure!
Yeah I did as well, until i noticed it now becoming more regular.

Last edited by digitallust; 02-06-2014 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #14
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I will try the best to explain this and the problem I am having, not sure if its common with the 8T.

When first taking off in the morning even (where it is most noticeable) with a cold even a somewhat warmed up engine, as I slow and come to a complete stop at a stop sign or traffic lights, that first sec that I have come to a complete stop the car lurches forward and then stops.

After the first few months of delivery, I noticed it happening once or twice, now it appears to do it more regularly, another regular occurrence is pulling into my garage at night, I now have to park a little bit further back than normal, as once I come to a complete stop, car into park, engine off, then I take my foot off the brake to get out, it lurches forward.. I am guess this is not normal at all? I have hid the brick wall once as a result and had her in the shop for minor surgery :-(

Talking to a friend of mine, now I don't how to explain the technology used, however he said that apparently some ZF transmissions can be option by the car company (BMW for example) to have some sort of valve release on the transmission, (to assist with fuel economy etc) that when you apply the brakes and come to a complete stop, a valve opens to release the pressure against the transmission, once you release the brake, the valve closes and away you go. Now I am not sure if this is the case with the ZF 8T, however it would make sense if the valve was on the ZF and was faulty or sticking.

Obviously I'm 500ks from my dealership and it is due for its service in the next few weeks so I will have them check it out, just wanted to see if I was alone on this one.. the transmission and car has never been driven hard (maybe thats its problem :thump: ) and apart from the lurching, operates seamlessly and smooth ..

Gigitallust,
I asked the guys on the technical forum about your issue and this is the response from FreddyG. It might be worth mentioning to your service department.

"We just had ours in for what sounds like the same problem.

They replaced a piece called the "Mechatronic" and reprogrammed the computer and it seems to have fixed the problem.

They were going to give us a new trans, but thought that they'd try this first (cheaper for them) and I'm glad that they did. It took them 3 weeks to figure it out. They said it took them that long because of the BMW engineers taking their time getting back to them.

Granted, we haven't driven the car a whole lot since then (10" of snow), but the ride on the way home from the dealer and a couple of trips since then and it hasn't done it.

Good Luck and I hope this helped!"
      02-09-2014, 02:17 AM   #15
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Gigitallust,
I asked the guys on the technical forum about your issue and this is the response from FreddyG. It might be worth mentioning to your service department.

"We just had ours in for what sounds like the same problem.

They replaced a piece called the "Mechatronic" and reprogrammed the computer and it seems to have fixed the problem.

They were going to give us a new trans, but thought that they'd try this first (cheaper for them) and I'm glad that they did. It took them 3 weeks to figure it out. They said it took them that long because of the BMW engineers taking their time getting back to them.

Granted, we haven't driven the car a whole lot since then (10" of snow), but the ride on the way home from the dealer and a couple of trips since then and it hasn't done it.

Good Luck and I hope this helped!"

Hey Steve, thanks for that, appreciate the help, probably should of looked for the technical part of the forum before hand, but i will email the info to my SA, he is pretty much on the ball these days, so I am sure this info will help him out as he usually takes the leads I send him on specific things that come up, like the steering column and rack drama. Cheers, Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:33 AM   #16
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Steve, thanks for that, appreciate the help, probably should of looked for the technical part of the forum before hand, but i will email the info to my SA, he is pretty much on the ball these days, so I am sure this info will help him out as he usually takes the leads I send him on specific things that come up, like the steering column and rack drama. Cheers, Matt
No worries, Matt.
Hope it all works out favourably for you.
      02-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #17
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
They replaced a piece called the "Mechatronic"
LOL!!! What a name for a part that's an engineering stream.
Mechatronic Engineering or Mechatronics.
Unless that's a simplified english translation of a mechanical component, which is electronically/electrically controlled.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
agnesx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

actually I noticed this in mine also, can be a bit random... but noticed it when doing very minor parking adjustments (my garage also very small, surrounded by deadly brickwalls...),
its not a massive lurch but bit more than what you would get with other cars... so my foot never fully releases the brakes...
its good to see that they can 'fix' this, whilst i dont think its unmanageable, can get a lil annoying....

if its todo with the auto start stop, by turning it off would it help the issue?

I use big planks of wood on the garage floor to help guide/stop the car when parking... bit primitive I know but may save some potential heartaches....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #19
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnesx View Post
actually I noticed this in mine also, can be a bit random... but noticed it when doing very minor parking adjustments (my garage also very small, surrounded by deadly brickwalls...),
its not a massive lurch but bit more than what you would get with other cars... so my foot never fully releases the brakes...
its good to see that they can 'fix' this, whilst i dont think its unmanageable, can get a lil annoying....

if its todo with the auto start stop, by turning it off would it help the issue?

I use big planks of wood on the garage floor to help guide/stop the car when parking... bit primitive I know but may save some potential heartaches....
I'm sure the planks of wood on floor work, but they must be a bit of a trip hazard.
I use a tennis ball suspended from a beam. When the windscreen touches the tennis ball, I know that's exactly where I need to stop.
I also have a piece of rolled up carpet at the end of the garage (a precaution) and carpet on the wall next to the drivers door, just in case I swing the door open a little too enthusiastically.
      02-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #20
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL!!! What a name for a part that's an engineering stream.
Mechatronic Engineering or Mechatronics.
Unless that's a simplified english translation of a mechanical component, which is electronically/electrically controlled.
Yep.........that's what the guy said. I have absolutely no idea what Mechatronics is, but it sounds like something out of a SciFi movie..........have to expect Arnie to turn up and 'fix' the car!
"He'll be back............"
      02-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #21
agnesx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
I'm sure the planks of wood on floor work, but they must be a bit of a trip hazard.
I use a tennis ball suspended from a beam. When the windscreen touches the tennis ball, I know that's exactly where I need to stop.
I also have a piece of rolled up carpet at the end of the garage (a precaution) and carpet on the wall next to the drivers door, just in case I swing the door open a little too enthusiastically.
Hey Steve, good tips! and yeah.. i've tripped on those planks way too many times... i'd love to do the tennis ball but my beams in the garage isn't positioned right to do this... ,
how did you stick the carpet on the wall? i got brick wall on drivers side and can't figure out how to 'stick' padding there, everything i try just 'falls' off before the adhesive can dry...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #22
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnesx View Post
Hey Steve, good tips! and yeah.. i've tripped on those planks way too many times... i'd love to do the tennis ball but my beams in the garage isn't positioned right to do this... ,
how did you stick the carpet on the wall? i got brick wall on drivers side and can't figure out how to 'stick' padding there, everything i try just 'falls' off before the adhesive can dry...
The beam does not have to be exactly over the windscreen - you adjust the point that it touches the windcreen with the length of the string holding the tennis ball. So the ball may touch your windscreen high up or low down on the screen.

I have a stone walls and just drilled them with a hammer drill and inserted wall plugs, then screwed the carpet to the wall with some washers to stop the carpet ripping off from the screws. The carpet is as long as the car (to cover both doors) and roughly roof height. This size was not planned..........just an offcut from a room in the house. It has been on the wall for many years now and has never looked like falling off.