F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Video: BMW innovation. The development of light.
PYSPEED

03-19-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
jhv
Lieutenant General

Drives: Every Day

Video: BMW innovation. The development of light.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
Front- and taillights give every BMW model an unmistakable look. But furthermore the development of light means increasing driving safety. Have a closer look at the latest LED and laser light technology.
Part 1

Part 2

Last edited by jhv; 03-20-2014 at 03:23 PM.
jhv is offline   No_Country
      03-19-2014, 04:03 AM   #2
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Those auto adapting LED headlights are so cool to see working in real life at night. Its a MUST HAVE option.
Dackelone is online now   Germany
      03-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General

Drives: 12' F30 328i Sport Line

We're working on all this light technology yet we still won't put led turn signals in certain models until the LCI, then we strip them out again or the next generation

Retired: '09 E90 335i M-Sport AW|Oyster, '07 E92 335i Graphite|Saddle, '05 E60 545i TiAg|Black, '01 E46 325i Jet Black|Black
Zirenz2006 is offline   United_States
+3
      03-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
notan///m
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: AY F80 (in the oven)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006
We're working on all this light technology yet we still won't put led turn signals in certain models until the LCI, then we strip them out again or the next generation
Agreed. What's up with that?

CCA Member

03-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
Levi
Brigadier General

Drives: Alfa Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
Agree, especially on a 80K M4. But notice even the facelifted X3 and so new X4 don't have LED turn signals and brake lights.
Levi is offline   Czech_Republic
      03-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
mstmng
Major

Drives: M5 '12 Silverstone/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:
Agree, especially on a 80K M4. But notice even the facelifted X3 and so new X4 don't have LED turn signals and brake lights.
There should be something left for LCI
      03-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Suave
Major

Drives: 2015 F80 M3

dont get me started again on the lack of LCD tailights on a 80k car as I ordered when its standard on my 20k commuter vehicle.
Suave is online now   United_States
      03-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Mikecom32

Drives: '05 330xi 6MT, F82 M4?

I still don't understand why they're not including LED tail lights on the M3/M4, even as an option. Hell, the e46 M3 had LED tails 10 years ago! Come on..
Mikecom32 is offline   United_States
+1
      03-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
clbmw
Captain

Drives: 320d & 330i (RIP 330d)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:
There should be something left for LCI
Yes there should be something left for the LCI, perhaps something original instead of relying on an old tradition!

How about sat nav, xenons, heated seats, anything... Anything that might update it over the previous generation model. They managed standard xenons and sat nav on the LCI 5 series which is to be congratulated.

It's about time that BMW embraced the reality that just because a car is bigger doesn't mean it has to have a bigger spec and is better. I'd like to see slightly higher prices on higher end trims and better tech... By all means retain an ES model for people who don't want to spend much, but why does size have to correlate with spec?

To add support to this I've seen several M235i reviews which proclaim it to be the best driving BMW to date. Why does small have to equal not top spec, e.g. No LED headlights on the best drivers car.

Ps if they want an idea of something cool on LCI how about offer LCDheadlight lenses, that are smoked blacked when the lights are off and go clear when the lights are on.
      03-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
jadnashuanh
Captain

Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Anyone have a guess on when the adjustable adaptive laser headlights might be legal in the USA? Last I heard, they will not be available here for what may be a long time. Look at how long it took the USA to adopt halogen bulbs, especially those that use a free-form reflector where you only needed to replace the bulb, and not the whole thing. Europe had them for ages before they became available here.

Technically, no exterior light on a vehicle in the USA is legal unless it has DOT approval - many of the substitutes people put in are technically illegal, and while it doesn't happen often, could be a reason to fail an inspection, and certainly would be illegal to import and sell on a new vehicle.
jadnashuanh is offline   United_States
      03-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
clbmw
Captain

Drives: 320d & 330i (RIP 330d)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
Anyone have a guess on when the adjustable adaptive laser headlights might be legal in the USA? Last I heard, they will not be available here for what may be a long time. Look at how long it took the USA to adopt halogen bulbs, especially those that use a free-form reflector where you only needed to replace the bulb, and not the whole thing. Europe had them for ages before they became available here.

Technically, no exterior light on a vehicle in the USA is legal unless it has DOT approval - many of the substitutes people put in are technically illegal, and while it doesn't happen often, could be a reason to fail an inspection, and certainly would be illegal to import and sell on a new vehicle.
Bizarre law considering what is currently legal in the USA
      03-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Double Bubble
Captain

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
dont get me started again on the lack of LCD tailights on a 80k car as I ordered when its standard on my 20k commuter vehicle.
LCD taillights?
No way they're going put the small LCD panels on the back of the car (even if it's a 80k car)
      03-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Levi
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble View Post
LCD taillights?
No way they're going put the small LCD panels on the back of the car (even if it's a 80k car)
Audi is working on that technology, but using OLED.
      03-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
Suave
Major

Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
LCD taillights?
Lol yeah typo. LED ...
Coming Soon: M Perf CF Diffuser, Spoiler, Exhaust Tips, CF-Alcantara Brake Handle, CF Shifter Cover, MPE
Suave is online now   United_States
      03-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Audi is working on that technology, but using OLED.
Yea... they have been. I remember seeing their A2 Concept at Frankfurt back in 2011. I really liked the side (pulsating)LEDs on the concept. The rest of the car I did not care much for.

Its rather funny though, that Audi's A2 was meant to compete with BMW's i3, yet where is Audi's A2 in the market place? Its a no show. You can buy an i3 though.

Dackelone is online now   Germany
      03-23-2014, 03:32 AM   #16
MMVI
Rank Outsider

Drives: F10 520d MSport 19" IBlue

Quote:
I really fear that bmw are on the fast track to the modern-ness slow lane with this strategy. Mercedes soon with the new c and Audi in a year or so with a new 4 and 5 are facing an open goal.
MMVI is offline   United Kingdom
      03-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #17
SCOTT26
Brigadier General

Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yea... they have been. I remember seeing their A2 Concept at Frankfurt back in 2011. I really liked the side (pulsating)LEDs on the concept. The rest of the car I did not care much for.

Its rather funny though, that Audi's A2 was meant to compete with BMW's i3, yet where is Audi's A2 in the market place? Its a no show. You can buy an i3 though.

The Audi A2 was dismissed in favour of the Audi A3 E-Tron because it was simply more cost effective because the Audi drivetrain is the same found under the E-Golf and will probably be rolled out to Seat and Skoda.

And yes you can buy an i3. That's what matters.
Attached Images

03-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
Levi
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

The same can be said about BMW in regards to the "interesting cars". Where is BMW's M7, BMW's X7 and BMW's M Supercar. They are late to the game. On the other hand Audi is starting to lag behind, because MSB platform is not ready yet other technologies do not improve as they did before.
      03-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #19
ssstraub

Drives: BMW E46 325ci

I figured a thread touting BMW's lighting innovation would quickly derail into a bitch fest about lack of LEDs in brand new $50k+ cars...

...AND FOR GOOD REASON!
ssstraub is offline   United_States
      03-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #20
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

I figured this thread was BMW claiming they invented light. Where's Scott26 when you need him!
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
      03-30-2014, 04:38 AM   #21
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!

Drives: 135i, A200

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
To add support to this I've seen several M235i reviews which proclaim it to be the best driving BMW to date. Why does small have to equal not top spec, e.g. No LED headlights on the best drivers car.
I have watched enough reviews to know not to believe that sort of statement. They forget about older models and they also greatly take in to account price.