F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drivetrain Malfunction Engine light on
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
cla250
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 328i SULEV
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Drivetrain Malfunction Engine light on

I had 2 issues:
1. idrive screen went blank at about 800 miles. I tried to press everything and turn off the engine, it was still blank. The next morning, it was back normal, working fine again.
2. Drivetrain malfuction appeared on idrive screen at about 1300 miles. I was driving on the freeway about 75mph then it slow down to about 45mph and just can't go any faster. So I took the exit and restart the engine. I drove around the block and seem to be working fine but engine light was on. I drove the car to the dealer the next morning. They read 3 faults from the check engine light and here's the
Recommendation:
- REPLACE ELECTRIC WASTEGATE ACTUATOR

anyone has the same problem? Only 1350 miles on the car.... 4 weeks old!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
SouthernBoy's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 F12 & 2014 F30
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla250 View Post
I had 2 issues:
1. idrive screen went blank at about 800 miles. I tried to press everything and turn off the engine, it was still blank. The next morning, it was back normal, working fine again.
2. Drivetrain malfuction appeared on idrive screen at about 1300 miles. I was driving on the freeway about 75mph then it slow down to about 45mph and just can't go any faster. So I took the exit and restart the engine. I drove around the block and seem to be working fine but engine light was on. I drove the car to the dealer the next morning. They read 3 faults from the check engine light and here's the
Recommendation:
- REPLACE ELECTRIC WASTEGATE ACTUATOR

anyone has the same problem? Only 1350 miles on the car.... 4 weeks old!
I had this problem on my 2012 328i multiple times, except they did something different to fix it every time. That term "wastegate actuator" sounds familiar though based on what I remember vaguely from the paperwork. BMW ended up taking back my car.
__________________
2014 335i M-Sport / ZCW / ZDA / ZPP / ZTP / 2PE / 441 / 2TB / 5AC / 688 / 2NH / DHP / 2VF
2014 650i M-Sport Convertible / 7MH / 337 / ZDB (DAP) / ZEC / Adaptive Full LED Headlights / B&O
2012 328i Sport Line / ZPS / 2TB / ZPP / ZTP / ZPK / 5DP / 522 / 6NL / 465 / 6NR (LEMON)
2011 335d M-Sport / ZMP / ZPP / 337 / 609 / 615 / 620 / 688 / 6AA / 6AB / 6FL / 6UH / 6VC / 7XAM (CLIFF)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
cla250
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 328i SULEV
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
I had this problem on my 2012 328i multiple times, except they did something different to fix it every time. That term "wastegate actuator" sounds familiar though based on what I remember vaguely from the paperwork. BMW ended up taking back my car.
I hope my problem won't come up again or I will ask them to take back my car.......
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
SouthernBoy's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 F12 & 2014 F30
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla250 View Post
I hope my problem won't come up again or I will ask them to take back my car.......
You don't want them to take back your car. A lot of wasted time and arguing with them. Throughout the whole process, their lack of professionalism was astonishing (corporate especially).
__________________
2014 335i M-Sport / ZCW / ZDA / ZPP / ZTP / 2PE / 441 / 2TB / 5AC / 688 / 2NH / DHP / 2VF
2014 650i M-Sport Convertible / 7MH / 337 / ZDB (DAP) / ZEC / Adaptive Full LED Headlights / B&O
2012 328i Sport Line / ZPS / 2TB / ZPP / ZTP / ZPK / 5DP / 522 / 6NL / 465 / 6NR (LEMON)
2011 335d M-Sport / ZMP / ZPP / 337 / 609 / 615 / 620 / 688 / 6AA / 6AB / 6FL / 6UH / 6VC / 7XAM (CLIFF)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
1
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: IS350 F Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
You don't want them to take back your car. A lot of wasted time and arguing with them. Throughout the whole process, their lack of professionalism was astonishing (corporate especially).
I don't know how they run their company. I would put their customer service only slightly above Comcast and Time Warner Cable.

I was so fed up with their excuses, lying, and lack of professionalism, I hired a lawyer.

and to OP, make sure you get detailed service records when you pick up the car. Should you need to go through lemon law, it will make the process much easier.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Firestorm
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I had the same problem this week. The "Drivetrain malfunction" came on, I have a 2014 335. I have about 9k miles and it is 6 months old. Dealer said the electric wastegate was the problem and needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,630
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Wow...sorry to hear about this problem; apparently the electronic wastegate wasn't thoroughly sorted before they went into production. Of course, this is 2 reports versus hundreds, maybe thousands sold. I've owned 4 3-series cars and 1 1-series; no problems with any of them and nothing but the best treatment from dealerships and BMW corporate.

One thing I've learned, particularly after 10 years of law enforcement is that attitude is 90% of a ticket. Same applies to business dealings.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST