F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > New House - Ideas
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #23
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
ajfoggy's Avatar
England
990
Rep
3,248
Posts

Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Warrington

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Gym.
Spa.
Pool.
Lap Dance pole in the bedroom.

No offence Foggy but what we would suggest surely might not be anywhere near your wants or needs, or is this just brainstorming?

If so.

Ensuite for every bedroom
CAT5/6 cabling throughout
Double garage / man cave
Mega kitchen and family open plan
Binfolding doors to garden area
Brainstorming more than anything because there is bound to be stuff we forget about so the more ideas the better.

Some ideas we?ll be well past budgets but some have already been added to the list.

Think all that you have mention there are on my list
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 02:33 AM   #24
TimMcC
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
89
Rep
395
Posts

Drives: F32 430d MSport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Have a neutral at your light switches and deep pattress boxes so you can retrofit smart switches later. Not mainstream yet but you will want these in future.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #25
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
76
Rep
547
Posts

Drives: BMW F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lancashire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Have a neutral at your light switches and deep pattress boxes so you can retrofit smart switches later. Not mainstream yet but you will want these in future.
This. I've just renovated our new house, as it didn't need rewiring I haven't done this however it would be a thing I would strongly consider.

CAT6 everywhere is a must and to outside to where you would want cameras as they then can be POE and give you more flexibility on what CCTV you want.

Make a cupboard a networking cupboard, and have the master socket (For either BT or Virgin) installed there. Put HDMIs to all TVs and run them back to this point, and have all your devices in one cupboard. You can do HDMI over CAT6 however from my experience it's not reliable enough and it's just as easy to put HDMI in at the same time.

Invest in a good Wi-Fi system such as Unifi and have the ethernet cables put in place in the ceilings ready. https://unifi-sdn.ubnt.com/

Ensure you put enough wires in for outside lights - can be a pain to do afterwards and nothing worse than cables running outside.

Avoid digital showers, they always go faulty and the majority start leaking. They then are costly to replace (plumber by trade).

As mentioned always go for Wet underfloor heating. Also consider smart zoning for your heating system, this will need to be considered when whatever work you are having done as pipework will have to be put in a particular way. It's always useful having your towel rails on a separate circuit so you can have them on independently in Summer - we've done this and it's great.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #26
MrChumley
Major
355
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: F33 440i convertible
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: East Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Avoid digital showers, they always go faulty and the majority start leaking. They then are costly to replace (plumber by trade).
Interesting comment. Must admit my eyes watered when I got the bill for fixing one of ours
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #27
Watsey
Colonel
United Kingdom
912
Rep
2,904
Posts

Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Herts and Hants, UK

iTrader: (1)

To add to the great suggestions, a water softener for the entire house plus a separate filtered hard water supply for drinking.

Soft water protects your investment in new boiler etc, nicer to shower/bath in, and if you run a supply to the driver you can wash the car with it as well.
__________________
Current : F31 330sD with Ohlins Road & Track, Bird's ARBs, MPSS, MPPK, Quaife LSD, StopTech BBK.

Previous : E91 330D M Sport; E91 330D SE; E46 320D M Sport Touring; E46 330D M Sport Saloon
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #28
Trialskings
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
90
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: Daddy Wagon
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bristol

iTrader: (0)

Insulation, insulation & insulation.

Tempered with Planitherm 4S glass & integrated blinds.

Warm with Solar Control for the hot days.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #29
JustChris
Lieutenant General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
3251
Rep
12,194
Posts

Drives: M2 DCT LBB
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North West UK

iTrader: (0)

Fritzel underground lair?

Edit not for family members, that's too far.

Helipad?

Charging port with cables for 4000Amps or whatever a supercharger would need?

Triple Glazing?

Panic room?
__________________
M2 - Long Beach Blue - DCT
Mini JCW / X5M50d / 335d / Mini Cooper / M4 / M235i / 520D / X5 / X1 / 520D / 330D / 330i
Petrol 6 - Diesel 7
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #30
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
ajfoggy's Avatar
England
990
Rep
3,248
Posts

Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Warrington

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Have a neutral at your light switches and deep pattress boxes so you can retrofit smart switches later. Not mainstream yet but you will want these in future.
Already been looking into these
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 05:43 AM   #31
mikeygold
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 330d XDrive M Sport GT
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Add waterproof electric sockets next to your drive way to charge your future electric car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #32
Broncho
Major
Broncho's Avatar
England
312
Rep
1,221
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M Sport S Drive
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Rainhill

iTrader: (0)

Make the master bedroom special, we have a balcony, vaulted ceilings, velux skylights a big ensuite, it really makes the house and is a proper wow factor when people see it for the first time.
__________________
2015 F30 330d M Sport S Drive, 2013 F30 320d M Sport S Drive, 2006 Z4M Roadster, 2007 E90 325i M Sport, 2005 Honda S2000 GT, 2001 Honda S2000, 2002 E46 318ci SE and loads of other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #33
gr4z
Lieutenant Colonel
gr4z's Avatar
United Kingdom
348
Rep
1,794
Posts

Drives: 440i GC MPPSK
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stamford

iTrader: (0)

Underfloor heating for me and CAT 5 or 6 cabling for WiFi access points (UniFi for me) and/or POE CCTV.
__________________
Current: F36 440i Gran Coupe, MSport+, ACC, HUD, Sunroof, MPPSK
Previous: 2014 330d Saloon F30, 2013 Audi S4 Avant, 2011 Mercedes C350
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2017, 05:41 AM   #34
pmgreenwood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
31
Rep
385
Posts

Drives: F31 320D se auto
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Sussex UK

iTrader: (0)

[quote=MarkG_M3CP;22273761]I think you are on the right lines... cabling.

[*]Laundry chute to the utility room


I once stayed with a school friend who moved to the US who had a utility room upstairs with all their bedrooms for washer and dryer. No carrying piles of washing up and down stairs.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2017, 06:12 AM   #35
MrChumley
Major
355
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: F33 440i convertible
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: East Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
velux skylights
Not the exploding ones, I hope?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #36
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
ajfoggy's Avatar
England
990
Rep
3,248
Posts

Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Warrington

iTrader: (0)

Been thinking about the smart switches / sockets. Whilst I can see the point of the light switches I just can't really think of an application that I would use the sockets for apart from a lamp.

What would you use smart sockets for??
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #37
454697819
Private First Class
34
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Whilst loading a house with tech is appealing, I would spend time investing in quality, if this means pairing back the spec then fair enough -

I don't mean buying the most expensive, I mean finding the right balance.

Running cat 6 wont be cheap, but most applications are Wifi these days so set the house up properly with wifi coverage and this should give you good options to expand the digital kit later - Like sonus etc.

I spend my money on the finishes, Hardwood where possible, quality paints, wall paper etc, its the stuff I notice all day every day.

Spend it on stuff that will actually help the day to day, I don't believe anyone needs 760 possible dimmer levels for the lounge lights but I could be wrong.

Don't over spend on light fittings, find cost effective alternatives that still look good but invest in the lamps - cheap LED's are just not worth it.

As said before - double sockets - everywhere - until electricity is wireless they are needed.

Future proof for external elements too - Run a 40 amp (or bigger) supply to a point of connection for SWA externally for garages or workshops - Enough cover all future needs outside.

Hope this helps and enjoy.
__________________
335d XD Shadow Edition - Mission intergalactic mileage underway
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #38
dbramley
320d M-Sport
England
40
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: BMW 320si
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hartlepool, UK

iTrader: (0)

I agree with the above, donít see the need for cat6 cabling or hdmi. In a few years time it will soon be out dated. As will any digital home system you put in.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #39
MrChumley
Major
355
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: F33 440i convertible
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: East Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramley View Post
I agree with the above, donít see the need for cat6 cabling or hdmi. In a few years time it will soon be out dated. As will any digital home system you put in.
Yep. Far better off sticking with traditional entertainment.

Now, where's this nice shiny pole and circular stage gonna go?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #40
Daftasabrush
Fool
Daftasabrush's Avatar
England
890
Rep
2,647
Posts

Drives: F31 340i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
This. I've just renovated our new house, as it didn't need rewiring I haven't done this however it would be a thing I would strongly consider.

CAT6 everywhere is a must and to outside to where you would want cameras as they then can be POE and give you more flexibility on what CCTV you want.

Make a cupboard a networking cupboard, and have the master socket (For either BT or Virgin) installed there. Put HDMIs to all TVs and run them back to this point, and have all your devices in one cupboard. You can do HDMI over CAT6 however from my experience it's not reliable enough and it's just as easy to put HDMI in at the same time.

Invest in a good Wi-Fi system such as Unifi and have the ethernet cables put in place in the ceilings ready. https://unifi-sdn.ubnt.com/

Ensure you put enough wires in for outside lights - can be a pain to do afterwards and nothing worse than cables running outside.
All of this, did all of that when renovating our house and it's made life so much easier. We ran close to 1KM of network cable when re-doing our house. We also tripled the no of power sockets and ensured they were in the locations we were going to need them (obvious stuff like behind TV, behind stereo, beside the sofa etc).

Also consider lighting, not just technology but design. My wife and I had an odd shaped ceiling in our sitting room and some ductwork for the HVAC so had a think about what we could do to improve it and so we built a tray ceiling and I filled it with professional LED architecture lighting controlled with an eldoLED DMX controller (our sitting room light switch has two runs of cat5 to it). I also pre-wired the ceiling for a projector and extra speakers as well as extra runs of network cable for as and when required.

As a result of the lighting design and the quality of the kit I used while building it, we've not had a single LED failure and we rarely use the downlights as the tray ceiling has 330W of LEDs in it which is specifically designed for architecture lighting (not your usual cheap shit) and has aluminium heatsinks underneath it, it never gets warm. I could have spent a tenth of the cost on the lighting but I'm so glad I didn't.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #41
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
890
Rep
5,519
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Where they make Thatchers

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
All of this, did all of that when renovating our house and it's made life so much easier. We ran close to 1KM of network cable when re-doing our house. We also tripled the no of power sockets and ensured they were in the locations we were going to need them (obvious stuff like behind TV, behind stereo, beside the sofa etc).

Also consider lighting, not just technology but design. My wife and I had an odd shaped ceiling in our sitting room and some ductwork for the HVAC so had a think about what we could do to improve it and so we built a tray ceiling and I filled it with professional LED architecture lighting controlled with an eldoLED DMX controller (our sitting room light switch has two runs of cat5 to it). I also pre-wired the ceiling for a projector and extra speakers as well as extra runs of network cable for as and when required.

As a result of the lighting design and the quality of the kit I used while building it, we've not had a single LED failure and we rarely use the downlights as the tray ceiling has 330W of LEDs in it which is specifically designed for architecture lighting (not your usual cheap shit) and has aluminium heatsinks underneath it, it never gets warm. I could have spent a tenth of the cost on the lighting but I'm so glad I didn't.
Where is that coffee table hiding.....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #42
Daftasabrush
Fool
Daftasabrush's Avatar
England
890
Rep
2,647
Posts

Drives: F31 340i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Where is that coffee table hiding.....
Too busy getting compliments every day
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #43
JustChris
Lieutenant General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
3251
Rep
12,194
Posts

Drives: M2 DCT LBB
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North West UK

iTrader: (0)

[quote=pmgreenwood;22283454]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post
I think you are on the right lines... cabling.

[*]Laundry chute to the utility room


I once stayed with a school friend who moved to the US who had a utility room upstairs with all their bedrooms for washer and dryer. No carrying piles of washing up and down stairs.
I love that idea!
__________________
M2 - Long Beach Blue - DCT
Mini JCW / X5M50d / 335d / Mini Cooper / M4 / M235i / 520D / X5 / X1 / 520D / 330D / 330i
Petrol 6 - Diesel 7
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST