F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > 335i at Lime Rock
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #23
Tchao
Boost Addict
Tchao's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: E30, E82, F30
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Charleston WV

iTrader: (0)

We've been using a FLIR One for a medical app development but I think it maybe some interest for you too.


http://www.flir.com/flirone/

Its relatively inexpensive and can capture all your tire temps in a matter of seconds, forego the cool down lap and quickly park it, snap a frontal pic and rear.
Could be very useful in comparing the images pre/post modifications.

Even rotor hot spots now that I am thinking about it more. Pretty handy track tool.
__________________
N55 PWG | Three Pedal Club | E30TU
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #24
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
DVC's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
1,336
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
We've been using a FLIR One for a medical app development but I think it maybe some interest for you too.


http://www.flir.com/flirone/

Its relatively inexpensive and can capture all your tire temps in a matter of seconds, forego the cool down lap and quickly park it, snap a frontal pic and rear.
Could be very useful in comparing the images pre/post modifications.

Even rotor hot spots now that I am thinking about it more. Pretty handy track tool.
That's pretty cool, but tire tread surface temp is of little value because it changes so quickly. I've seen video of IR sensors mounted in a wheel well, sending real time thermal images of a tire while on track...different sections of the tire heat bloom and cool in an instant during cornering, braking, etc.

A probe pyrometer is the only way to get accurate readings after a track session.
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:08 AM   #25
Tchao
Boost Addict
Tchao's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: E30, E82, F30
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Charleston WV

iTrader: (0)

Good point, and some quick googling came up with some very neat F1 videos and their on board thermo cams.

Ill have to look into the probes.
__________________
N55 PWG | Three Pedal Club | E30TU
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #26
kreuz
Private First Class
27
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: 435i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
An 18x9 ET30 with a typical 255 tire will run about the same in terms of fender clearance as my 18x9.5 ET35 with 265 tires. On my car I needed at least 2.5 camber to clear the fronts...plus I did a mild front fender roll (almost imperceptible) just to be safe. The back wheels fit flush without any mods.

Not sure if F32 front fenders have the same clearance as the F30, but if they do, then I think you'd need extra camber for those wheels.
Thanks DVC! Super helpful info! After some research I'm not ready to deal with that much camber up front and potential camber roll at the moment, but your response is really good reference for when I do have time to get camber plates and the desire for deeper concavity prevails. I've decided to go with sm-10 18x8.5 ET35 for the time being to see how it goes. Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
DVC251.00

      11-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #27
Dylan86
Lieutenant Colonel
Dylan86's Avatar
Canada
655
Rep
1,560
Posts

Drives: M235i MP Edition, 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rossland, BC

iTrader: (0)

OP, great video, thanks for sharing! I miss being within a day drive from LRP, it saddens me, it's such a fun track!

Reading into your mods, we will soon have a very similar car, except mine has 2 doors! Happy to hear of the NVH feedback, post bushing install.

Here's my build sheet, let me know your thoughts;

KW CS's 3-way coilovers
M LCA/TS's
Megan Racing 4 links
Powerflex Rear LCA bushings
Superpro Rear Subframe bushings
Derlin Diff mounts
Hotchkis F&R Sways, and up-rated end links
370mm M-Sport front brake setup (using PFC-08 pads on OEM blanks, may get ST slotted discs)
Bimmerworld insulated SS brake lines, Motul RBF 660
Obligatory MP LSD
Apex 18x9 et42 ARC-08 wheels w/ 255 RE-71, square

I am already FBO with JB4 but moving to a flash tune in 2018 for sure. Would like to make around 380whp, reliably, without the requirement for ongoing methanol fill ups.


Any thoughts or suggestions for me, at this point ? Cheers,

D
__________________
Appreciate 1
DVC251.00

      12-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #28
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
DVC's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
1,336
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
OP, great video, thanks for sharing! I miss being within a day drive from LRP, it saddens me, it's such a fun track!

Reading into your mods, we will soon have a very similar car, except mine has 2 doors! Happy to hear of the NVH feedback, post bushing install.

Here's my build sheet, let me know your thoughts;

KW CS's 3-way coilovers
M LCA/TS's
Megan Racing 4 links
Powerflex Rear LCA bushings
Superpro Rear Subframe bushings
Derlin Diff mounts
Hotchkis F&R Sways, and up-rated end links
370mm M-Sport front brake setup (using PFC-08 pads on OEM blanks, may get ST slotted discs)
Bimmerworld insulated SS brake lines, Motul RBF 660
Obligatory MP LSD
Apex 18x9 et42 ARC-08 wheels w/ 255 RE-71, square

I am already FBO with JB4 but moving to a flash tune in 2018 for sure. Would like to make around 380whp, reliably, without the requirement for ongoing methanol fill ups.


Any thoughts or suggestions for me, at this point ? Cheers,

D
Thank you!

You're right, our spec sheets are remarkably similar... I noticed you have delrin diff mounts, which I opted to skip. What are your thoughts on those?

The only thing I can think of for you to pursue next would be race seats and a harness bar (both of which can be easily swapped in and out for the track), and 6 point harnesses. And possibly a stud conversion if you didn't already do that.
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas

Last edited by DVC; 12-05-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #29
Dylan86
Lieutenant Colonel
Dylan86's Avatar
Canada
655
Rep
1,560
Posts

Drives: M235i MP Edition, 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rossland, BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Thank you!

You're right, our spec sheets are remarkably similar... I noticed you have delrin diff mounts, which I opted to skip. What are your thoughts on those?

The only thing I can think of for you to pursue next would be race seats and a harness bar (both of which can be easily swapped in and out for the track), and 6 point harnesses. And possibly a stud conversion if you didn't already to that.
Yea, so, aside from the M LCA/TS themselves, everything is sitting in boxes at the shop awaiting install. A friend of mine has them installed on his MT F80 and said it made a huge difference with "drivetrain slop", not that it was excessive, stock, but noticeable for sure. Going to tear into everything January/February while the Earth turns white. Should be a pretty drastic change in handling, but based on your review of the bushings I'm feeling much better about NVH, as I had my concerns about that.. The Derlin Diff mounts should translate more through shifting (primarily downshifts) and provide more feedback through the rear end. Good news is if they're brutal in respect to NVH, they're not that bad to swap out to stock or a softer alternative bushing. As for the seats and rollbar, I see that happening in the winter of '18/19 for sure. I've committed to this point, and safety is a big factor for my partner, so it will be supported without a doubt

You've got me inspired, man. For a while I felt like I was alone on this track prep journey, lol. I suppose as these cars get a bit older we'll start getting more and more F chassis cars hitting the track, prepped. I'm pretty stoked, this summer I was lapping 4-5 seconds faster than a 997 911s, M4 Cab, CTS-V, C5, prepped Miata, and a bunch of weenies in Jags/AMG's boasting 550+hp, at Area27 race track. All of their reactions to my car and lap times were priceless. This was on a Dinan spring setup, M LCA/TS and 19" PSS's, I cant begin to imagine how good this car will tear it up once the mods are done and have a proper tire!

Going to be a LONGG wait until April

D
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #30
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
DVC's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
1,336
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Yea, so, aside from the M LCA/TS themselves, everything is sitting in boxes at the shop awaiting install. A friend of mine has them installed on his MT F80 and said it made a huge difference with "drivetrain slop", not that it was excessive, stock, but noticeable for sure. Going to tear into everything January/February while the Earth turns white. Should be a pretty drastic change in handling, but based on your review of the bushings I'm feeling much better about NVH, as I had my concerns about that.. The Derlin Diff mounts should translate more through shifting (primarily downshifts) and provide more feedback through the rear end. Good news is if they're brutal in respect to NVH, they're not that bad to swap out to stock or a softer alternative bushing. As for the seats and rollbar, I see that happening in the winter of '18/19 for sure. I've committed to this point, and safety is a big factor for my partner, so it will be supported without a doubt

You've got me inspired, man. For a while I felt like I was alone on this track prep journey, lol. I suppose as these cars get a bit older we'll start getting more and more F chassis cars hitting the track, prepped. I'm pretty stoked, this summer I was lapping 4-5 seconds faster than a 997 911s, M4 Cab, CTS-V, C5, prepped Miata, and a bunch of weenies in Jags/AMG's boasting 550+hp, at Area27 race track. All of their reactions to my car and lap times were priceless. This was on a Dinan spring setup, M LCA/TS and 19" PSS's, I cant begin to imagine how good this car will tear it up once the mods are done and have a proper tire!

Going to be a LONGG wait until April

D
Awesome - glad to see another F chassis track enthusiast as well! Please keep us up to date on the progression... sounds like you will have lots going on with the car over the winter!
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #31
zinner
Captain
zinner's Avatar
292
Rep
664
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i Msport
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Going to be a LONGG wait until April

D
Great thread/video, I was thinking the same thing, next HPDS is April 2018 in my neck of the woods (Tarheel NC).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #32
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
DVC's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
1,336
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Great thread/video, I was thinking the same thing, next HPDS is April 2018 in my neck of the woods (Tarheel NC).
Thanks! Yeah, winter is tough for us track rats
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST