F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
Extreme Power House

12-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #1145
carlitos3
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantio View Post
Hi, I bought the Android car usb adapter / Apple car play, but I did not understand how to use it and how it works, can someone explain it to me?
Thanks
Contact AVIN and they will give you access to download the APP for carplay, before you do that make sure you connect the Carplay cable to the android unit, you shall have another cable with two USB ports from the android unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #1146
Wolverine
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 318d Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupwiz View Post
Help with a couple questions.
Does the unit normally recognize night time for night mode? (google maps bright white at night).

Micro SD cards format - I have installed one but it's not showing up on the unit. Does it have to be in a certain format to be recognized?
Thanks
Mine does the night mode in waze.

SD cards I think need to be FAT32?

SOLD '59' Honda Civic Type R GT Championship White Edition

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #1147
a803sgo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Quote:
Does the unit normally recognize night time for night mode? (google maps bright white at night).

Micro SD cards format - I have installed one but it's not showing up on the unit. Does it have to be in a certain format to be recognized?
Thanks
Make sure your timezone is right.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #1148
carlitos3
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:

Thanks
Format your card as fat32.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #1149
prodogs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevDon92 View Post
Ugh I canít decide if I want the CarPlay adapter with it

if you love Apple Maps its worth it - if not then not worth it
      12-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #1150
madmunky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodogs View Post
if you love Apple Maps its worth it - if not then not worth it
Or if you use

Apple Music
Spotify
Tunein
PodCasts

I would say all make it a much nicer experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #1151
Pupwiz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6

Found out the card was exFat and formatted to fat32 now working. Installed waze and now have a night mode.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #1152
fssaez
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Has anyone identified in the wiring harness which line or connection is the factory microphone in the headliner? I haven't been able to figure that out myself.
Thanks!
Hello!

Iv been readying every single page, and after waiting for the right moment I ordered my unit on black friday. Last night I installed it and I just wanted to thank you for all the feedback you'v given to this community.

My car is a 2013 328i w/o navigation. After installation I inmediatelly installed waze but i'v also been playing around with AutoMate. I think ill just pay the premium features (about $5) for it to be a launcher so that the application starts as soon as I hit HOME and go to waze from there. From in it, I can manage other stuff too which is kinda nice. Clean simple ui.

I really dont like/care the Idrive6 UI because much of the UI is useless.

I found this on another forum. Hope it helps. I would really like to split the OEM microphone connection and send it to the android device as well. Same for the AUX. The image shows the pinout for the headunit plug. I'v confirmed through several other sources that pins are 17 and 22 for mic1 and 18 and 19 for mic2 (??). Once I get free time i'll play around with this.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1191598
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #1153
fssaez
Rep

Quick question:

My car doesn't have the optical audio cable so I assumed I had to wire the aux cable to the center console. Today as I was listening to Spotify my wife disconnected the aux cable and to my surprise my car kept playing.

So the question is: whats the aux output for?

I ordered my unit with gps splitter (dumb because I didnt have gps in the first place lol) and aux splitter that I no longer need #wasted$$$
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #1154
plzy86
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fssaez View Post
Quick question:

My car doesn't have the optical audio cable so I assumed I had to wire the aux cable to the center console. Today as I was listening to Spotify my wife disconnected the aux cable and to my surprise my car kept playing.

So the question is: whats the aux output for?

I ordered my unit with gps splitter (dumb because I didnt have gps in the first place lol) and aux splitter that I no longer need #wasted$$$
I actually need the GPS splitter , if you want to get rid of it msg me
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #1155
plzy86
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3 Sport

Hello all

I recently received my replacement unit and it's the newer version that comes with 2 USBs ... So I am running my JB4 and DVR camera and they both using usbs .. I am guessing there is a conflict with both .. I can only use one at a time . I really would like my DVR camera running all the time and use my JB4 whenever I need it . Did any one running similar setup that would know a fix that would be great . Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #1156
fssaez
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzy86 View Post
I actually need the GPS splitter , if you want to get rid of it msg me
A friend of mine already asked me for it. He's ordering the unit soon and will buy the splitter for me

I find my gps antenna kinda slow. I have it on the dashboard for now until I decide where to finally put it; and when I turn on and by the time I get to waze the GPS is still 'off' or saying 'no gps signal'. It takes about 2 more minutes to lock comething. Is this an antenna related delay? Can I get a better one? Or is this Android related problem and there is no solution to it but wait to updates?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #1157
notsec
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Should we removal the glove box to pass the USB cable through the glove box?Is there someone who puts the USB cable somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #1158
fssaez
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsec View Post
Should we removal the glove box to pass the USB cable through the glove box?Is there someone who puts the USB cable somewhere else?
I have both usb cables in my center console with the aux. I bough 2 extensions to do that cause they arent that long.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #1159
notsec
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fssaez View Post
I have both usb cables in my center console with the aux. I bough 2 extensions to do that cause they arent that long.
If I can do that, I'll try to put it next to the 12v lighter in the front console.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #1160
Pupwiz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6

I pulled one of the lighters and fed this to it. You could probably use it any where. I got it some time ago off amazon for some reason but worked well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #1161
fssaez
Rep

Quote:
I pulled one of the lighters and fed this to it. You could probably use it any where. I got it some time ago off amazon for some reason but worked well.
this one is actually a good idea. found it on amazon
USB Flush Mount Cable - Rerii 1 Meter 3ft Dual USB Extension Flush
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #1162
notsec
Rep

Quote:
Does it match the diameter of the lighter?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #1163
brichi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

new unit, new issue

now the brand new unit decides not to boot up sometimes, I have no luck

I turned on my car yesterday morning to go to work and the android side only said "no signal", BMW side was fine, stopped for coffee, when I came out and turned car back on then it booted up properly so I thought it was just a one time issue but nope! after work, same thing, turned the car on and no signal from android side.

I guess the heat causes them to reboot and the cold causes them to just not turn on, the picky bastards
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #1164
a803sgo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichi View Post
new unit, new issue

now the brand new unit decides not to boot up sometimes, I have no luck

I turned on my car yesterday morning to go to work and the android side only said "no signal", BMW side was fine, stopped for coffee, when I came out and turned car back on then it booted up properly so I thought it was just a one time issue but nope! after work, same thing, turned the car on and no signal from android side.

I guess the heat causes them to reboot and the cold causes them to just not turn on, the picky bastards
My gen2 does this from a cold boot (not referring to the temp but rather booting first thing in the morning for example). If I completely power off and back on it's fine. Very random, sometimes it's fine, sometimes not.

The gen2 was a replacement for the crap gen1, which I'm still waiting on a refund for.

Reported it to Avin, there exact reply...

"It might be a bug in the new system software.

Try this older version to see if it helps.* Hopefully, the software engineers can find a solution in a future*update."

Not rolled back as I like the ID6 menus, hopefully the next firmware release will sort it.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #1165
fssaez
Rep

Anyone knows the purpose of the 4 volume options? Im having a hard time balancing all of them to make it sound good.

I'm wondering if anyone tried another aftermarket GPS antenna. I'v been looking at amazon and there are some garmin antennas that are reported to be super fast but only come in a different connector. The one bmw uses seems to be 'Fakra' which garmin doesnt sell.

Also did anyone connect a 4g usb modem? Did it work?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 04:52 AM   #1166
madmunky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Hi All,

So after some longer use with the unit I am not sure if its the best option for an upgrade. My issues so far which to be fare most are around the CarPlay integration...

1. No Signal on start (This has only happen once but seems to be a common issue)
2. Audio quality, no matter what settings I try there is a clear difference to the stock BMW audio.
3. Bluetooth interfears with CarPlay, If i have CarPlay running and connect my bluetooth to the android unit I have to first hit play in the bluetooth menu before it will allow CarPlay to work.
4. CarPlay App crashes on ever start up.
5. No integration into CarPlay with the steering wheel buttons or being able to skip songs you have to use the screen or the iDrive controller which means going back to the audio menu.
6. CarPlay does not detect map brightness (Day/Night) without first unlocking the phone.
7. Waze does not allow microphone access to set destinations.

Hopefully most of these can be fixed with Firmware/Application updates
Appreciate 0