F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Post mod list and who's gone PS2? Here's mine
GetBMWParts

01-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #23
IssaF32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
@IssaF32 not quite bro, partially correct on torque though.

with higher octane fuel you can push higher boost because it's more stable and won't detonate. Also you can run more advanced Timing which creates a bigger cylinder pressure and more force on the piston, ie more torque.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the flow capacity of your turbo though. When you hit the limit of what your turbo can flow there isn't much you can do. All that happens by pushing it to hold the higher boost target at the higher rpm's (higher flow requirement) is cause it to create more heat, which is as explained totally counter productive.

That said at lower rpm's where the flow requirement is still low, you could make more boost, which will give you the ability to make more torque. Torque is actually what you want anyway. But holding that higher torque level through the rpm range just won't be possible with the stock turbo. Also higher boost will also come with more heat... so basically there is a balancing act you're trying to find. The stock turbo has been pushed to 30PSI at low rpm's, but that is dangerous because the pistons and rods aren't stout enough to handle the forces at that boost level. Especially if you then hammer on them with detonation.

You always want to make your torque as efficiently as possible, with as cold a charge as possible. Excessive Heat is just an engine killer!

So using ethanol or spraying meth will help temps, but again without the added flow your not going to keep up with engine flow demand and the torque will just drop off as the engine revs up, which means a drop off in power.
Really appreciate all the information so I'm with the right guys then by going with ACF? I take it they know all about everything you stated plus some huh?
Wagner Comp Evo 1 Intercooler, Injen intake, VRSF Catless downpipe, NGK laser iridium .018, rear seat delete, Muffler delete, Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe, Stage 2 fuel-it lpfp, Bootmod3 Stage 2 91 tune.
Current status: Slower then you
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #24
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

@IssaF32 yea bro Ricardo knows what he's doing on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #25
lukeiswright
Luke Wright
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 6mt 328i

hey guys, I ordered a VRSF HD intercooler and catless downpipe. Going to buy a tune once either Bootmod3 or another tuner makes a flash that can be uploaded via OBD. Theres been a few companies to do it so far but not for the N20.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #26
BunkerJ
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiswright View Post
hey guys, I ordered a VRSF HD intercooler and catless downpipe. Going to buy a tune once either Bootmod3 or another tuner makes a flash that can be uploaded via OBD. Theres been a few companies to do it so far but not for the N20.
There are plenty of companies to choose. I would go with Bootmod3. They will get you your first map. If you choose to do E or meth later, you can request another tuner. Highly recommend it. I have a FBO N26 with Bootmod3.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #27
lukeiswright
Luke Wright
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 6mt 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Quote:
There are plenty of companies to choose. I would go with Bootmod3. They will get you your first map. If you choose to do E or meth later, you can request another tuner. Highly recommend it. I have a FBO N26 with Bootmod3.
I've heard you have to take your car to a tuner to crack the ECU, about how much did that cost you?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #28
BunkerJ
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
I've heard you have to take your car to a tuner to crack the ECU, about how much did that cost you?
Total cost for the ECU unlock, flash, and tune was $800 total. If you're patient or can find another tuner, I'm sure BM3 will get port flashing.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #29
IssaF32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Quote:
Total cost for the ECU unlock, flash, and tune was $800 total. If you're patient or can find another tuner, I'm sure BM3 will get port flashing.
I don't believe port flashing is a 100% full readout tho like bench flashing is I believe ptf said something about this somewhere I'll find it and link the thread. Also Bm3 is great you get your first map free and you can have other tuners tune you through the program and you can even get dyno tuned through bm3 custom fuel maps are a thing tooo. I just had ACF do a custom ethanol tune on my n26
Wagner Comp Evo 1 Intercooler, Injen intake, VRSF Catless downpipe, NGK laser iridium .018, rear seat delete, Muffler delete, Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe, Stage 2 fuel-it lpfp, Bootmod3 Stage 2 91 tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #30
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

IssaF32 So apparently that might be changing. A full read out over OBD maybe possible. waiting to hear from PTF. It sounds like they will be able to get enough to do what we need.

Ricardo told me he did your tune, excited to hear what you think of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 03:17 AM   #31
IssaF32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
IssaF32 So apparently that might be changing. A full read out over OBD maybe possible. waiting to hear from PTF. It sounds like they will be able to get enough to do what we need.

Ricardo told me he did your tune, excited to hear what you think of it.
Yeah he also doing bunkerJ's tune for ethanol aswell should smooth it out and hit what's we wanna hit tomorrow hopefully
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #32
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So Ricardo and I pulled an OBD readout from my DME yesterday and had a play around with it. Seems it's only a 500kByte file instead of the 4MB bench file.

Now that said, it did include all the engine calibrations. So potentially would be okay to use.

However, after making some adjustments to it, and trying to reload it in BM3, it wasn't accepted. So right now it looks like BM3 won't accept the smaller file. Which means we can't try load it to see what happens.

So for now we just put back one of the 4MB Tuning files.
Appreciate 1