F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i down. Any arm chair collision experts?
proTUNING Freaks

07-19-2022, 10:36 PM   #1
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

340i down. Any arm chair collision experts?

My 340i was struck while parked outside my house. Luckily other guy was busted and I was able to get his insurance and they're taking care of everything.

Im hoping they salvage the car. I don't think the car will ever run the same again. Car was pushed forward about 5 feet and the driver side rear wheel is out of place.

Anyone know of things I should bring up and look for?
Attached Images

07-20-2022, 02:08 AM   #2
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

You mean.... like things a trained mechanic or knowledgeable insurance adjuster already knows to look for, but you want to just double check right..... do you also tell your surgeon how rlto do his job before surgery?
Appreciate 3
Billfitz8313.00
Wires1664.50
      07-20-2022, 08:37 AM   #3
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
You mean.... like things a trained mechanic or knowledgeable insurance adjuster already knows to look for, but you want to just double check right..... do you also tell your surgeon how rlto do his job before surgery?
I find insurance companies to be sleazy. I'm skeptical about the intentions of the insurance and the collision shop. The insurance company obviously wants to fix the car at the lowest cost they can. And the collision shop obviously wants business and will say they can fix it at a price the insurance company is okay with. Unfortunately I did not get to choose the shop where they are doing the estimate.
      07-20-2022, 08:54 AM   #4
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

i would say all the things that are important here, are hidden. inner structure damage, quarter panel damage, suspension damage.

if you already feel like the car has been ruined, just get insurance to give you diminished value on the car, if they refuse to total it out. and then sell it once it's fixed.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

What spoiler is that?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #6
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC, 2023 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifellapart View Post
I find insurance companies to be sleazy. I'm skeptical about the intentions of the insurance and the collision shop. The insurance company obviously wants to fix the car at the lowest cost they can. And the collision shop obviously wants business and will say they can fix it at a price the insurance company is okay with. Unfortunately I did not get to choose the shop where they are doing the estimate.
I wasn’t clear by your earlier statement. So you want them to total your car or repair the car? Insurance companies exist to definitely make a profit but perhaps you also have the wrong insurance company.

My 2016 took a hit to the side, damage a little worse in pictures than yours. Was able to be repaired and drives as well still. Now my insurance company allows me to pick from a few different authorized body shops so at least I was able to have the repairs done by a shop that I trusted.

I would wait to see what the body shop reports back as damaged, needing to be replaced. That would give a better idea on areas of concerns.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #7
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Fortunately for you, Insurance regulations dictate that YOU get to choose which shop works on your car. Nobody else, except YOU!

https://www.collisionclaims.com/info...repair-rights/
Appreciate 1
jsouth112.00
      07-20-2022, 04:36 PM   #8
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

I'm going to guess that's about 10-12k worth of damage if the axel/rods etc aren't bent. So I don't think it will be totaled but please do update here.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 06:24 PM   #9
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Did you have a bad experience in the past?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 09:55 PM   #10
paulymu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i Xdrive Msport

Dang that sucks, sorry for your loss man.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2022, 10:10 PM   #11
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you do get to choose. Don't let them tell you otherwise. Take it to the most expensive/high end place in town.
      07-20-2022, 10:28 PM   #12
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you do get to choose. Don't let them tell you otherwise. Take it to the most expensive/high end place in town.
I brought this up to them and they said they choose where to get the estimate and I can choose any body shop I want after the fact but the price to fix has to remain in the Vicinity of that estimate. I'm probably reading too much into this but I just think the shop lowballs the price and then I'm stuck fixing my car for cheap.
      07-20-2022, 11:02 PM   #13
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shllshck View Post
I wasn’t clear by your earlier statement. So you want them to total your car or repair the car? Insurance companies exist to definitely make a profit but perhaps you also have the wrong insurance company.

My 2016 took a hit to the side, damage a little worse in pictures than yours. Was able to be repaired and drives as well still. Now my insurance company allows me to pick from a few different authorized body shops so at least I was able to have the repairs done by a shop that I trusted.

I would wait to see what the body shop reports back as damaged, needing to be replaced. That would give a better idea on areas of concerns.
I'm not dealing with my insurance company I'm dealing with the other driver's. Luckily they're a well known major brand but it doesn't negate the fact that they are wanting to pay the least amount they can.

Personally I don't think this car will ever run the same again. The car was in park and pushed forward several feet. I have to believe there's damage to the transmission. I would rather them total it as I owe less than what the car is worth at this point.

I'll be getting the update on the car soon and will post here.
      07-20-2022, 11:04 PM   #14
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
What spoiler is that?
its some cheap "CS" replica I bought from amazon.
      07-20-2022, 11:41 PM   #15
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
Quote:
I brought this up to them and they said they choose where to get the estimate and I can choose any body shop I want after the fact but the price to fix has to remain in the Vicinity of that estimate. I'm probably reading too much into this but I just think the shop lowballs the price and then I'm stuck fixing my car for cheap.
Pretty sure that's bullshit. May want to consult with a lawyer briefly so you don't get screwed.

When I got rear ended I told the guy's insurance where I was going to get it fixed and they met me there. It was already on their list but all the good shops in town were on their list.
      07-21-2022, 12:03 AM   #16
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Sorry that happened to you. I think it’s pretty unlikely there will be enough damage to total it.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

07-21-2022, 06:05 AM   #17
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Did you have the e-brake engaged? I'd be worried about transmission. Even more so if you dont use e-brake.

Interested to see how this plays out, sorry you have to deal with this mess!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #18
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
I'm not dealing with my insurance company I'm dealing with the other driver's. ...
Why are you not going through your insurance company. That is why you pay them. You don't need to deal with the other guy's BS company.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 09:37 AM   #19
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Why are you not going through your insurance company. That is why you pay them. You don't need to deal with the other guy's BS company.
Because before this weird new world where no one does anything for themselves that’s how it worked. Previously people didn’t even think of going through their own insurance company to file a claim with another, at fault, driver’s insurance company.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

07-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #20
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Did you have the e-brake engaged? I'd be worried about transmission. Even more so if you dont use e-brake.

Interested to see how this plays out, sorry you have to deal with this mess!
I think when the ignition is off the e-brake will be engaged as ZF 8AT goes to P, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 11:03 AM   #21
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Because before this weird new world where no one does anything for themselves that’s how it worked. Previously people didn’t even think of going through their own insurance company to file a claim with another, at fault, driver’s insurance company.
This. Contact your insurance company with all the details. You can get work started faster and they can deal with getting the cost of the claim from the other insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #22
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Quote:
I'm not dealing with my insurance company I'm dealing with the other driver's. ...
You only do that if they're uninsured or uncooperative.