F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B48 20i Super Knocking
proTUNING Freaks

12-30-2023, 05:38 AM   #1
Sarni
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d, BMW 320ix G20

B48 20i Super Knocking

Poland based. Went to a local tuner yesterday to add a little power to my 320iX (2019, 108k km clocked) as the warranty has expired anyway and I was hearing good things about these mods. It’s a reputable tuner as well, not a random unknown shop. Wary about these things I have agreed they will only add a bit of power and torque and not try to stretch the engine too much.

When I went back to pick up the car they said they had to flash it back to a stock map as they were getting two errors while they were testing the mods:

118001 Mixture Control: Fuel-air mixture too lean
152F08 Superknocking: Torque limitation due to too high a superknocking number

This triggered a check engine signal though when I was picking up the car and driving it home it was not there anymore.

They recommended visiting a local BMW service they are partnering with, which also happens to be the exact same service where I have done all my out of warranty work for both this and my previous car, so I do trust them very much. They didn’t think it was anything serious but said it’s better to look at it before installing a map.

I was only able to get an appointment for next Friday but the guy told me it’s safe to drive the car in the meantime, just shouldn’t push it extremely hard but safe at normal speed. Must also mention that there had been zero issues prior to that.

Now after driving some 50-60km since the check engine has come up again (immediately after filling the tank with a more premium fuel) but without any accompanying message and when I go into the menu it says there are no errors or malfunctions. The car drives normally, I had to go 90km on a highway with zero issues. It seems to have normal power and torque as before, accelerates as usual and no strange sounds at all.

However after going through a similar ordeal with my X1 previously (different error but terrible outcome) I’m still a little anxious.

So basically my questions:

1) is there any chance that a mod would stretch the engine to such extent that it would cause a serious malfunction without even driving the car out of the shop? All they did was power testing (no idea what the right word for that is in English, dyno?)

2) is it really safe to drive it for another 200-300km before the appointment? I know there is no definite answer to this without really looking at a car but maybe someone has had similar errors pop up before and would know better than me

Apparently this could have been cause by poor fuel mixture (likely) but not sure how serious an outcome of a one off event like that could be. Knowing very little about engines in general I pretty much have to rely on what the tuner / service guys are telling me.

Last edited by Sarni; 12-30-2023 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 11:38 AM   #2
ba2
Registered
Turkey
Rep
Drives: bmw g20 320 i b48

Did you solve the error?
Appreciate 0