F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BIMMERCODE and Key Fob Issue
proTUNING Freaks

02-19-2024, 09:25 AM   #1
ZsF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix F30 -BMW 540ix G30

BIMMERCODE and Key Fob Issue

Hello... new here, just trying to figure out if there is a fix to the following:

I recently bought a 2013 BMW 328ix SULEV for my 16 year old son. The car had halogen bulbs throughout that were very dim. I bought replacement bulbs in LED and used Bimmercode to use their "Conversion to LED" option for the lights. Everything went perfectly with no issues. Both of the key fobs worked perfectly prior to using Bimmercode but now, afterwards, both key fobs now intermittently show errors when starting the vehicle showing "Key Fob Not Detected" "Vehicle Will Not Start", and we have to hold the key fob up to the marker on the steering column. It also happens now to the spare key fob. I changed out both key fob batteries but its still happening. I tried holding the key up to the marker on the steering column while holding the Start button but the keys still intermittently say "Key Fob Not Detected" "Vehicle Will Not Start". I saw where it may be related to the Bimmercode use and tried to do the backup on Bimmercode but it still has the errors. The fobs still work, but we have to hold the key fob up to the steering column directly. Does anyone have experience with this.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 10:28 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I swapped out 100% to LED, coded with Bimmercode, never had a fob problem. I generally don't believe in coincidence but in this case it well may be. Your symptom is of a bad antenna or two. I've seen this happen when the entry lamps under the doors were swapped out to 3rd party logo lamps, but not to LED headlights. Put the halogens back in, see what happens. I suppose it's possible that some LEDs create radio frequency interference.
Appreciate 1
ZsF300.00
      02-19-2024, 12:25 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

What type of batteries are you using in the key fobs? My home automation sensors use the same CR2450 cells as our keyfobs, and I used the Pkcell's I was getting off amazon for them, and had the same issue with the fobs.

Ended up just buying some new Energizer batteries for the fobs, and it's been flawless for the past month and a bit.

Also, make sure you hold the fob end side in to the column, or it won't be detected.
Appreciate 1
ZsF300.00