F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Improvements needed for next generation F30/F32 3-series...
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #111
AMASIAN
Banned
10
Rep
600
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Vert
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (8)

LSD Option

VENTILATED SEATS!
-God damn Kia offers it in their Sportage... Seriously...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #112
dvil9
Enlisted Member
dvil9's Avatar
No_Country
0
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hearth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
A more eco-friendly car. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #113
jhbodle
Captain
jhbodle's Avatar
22
Rep
712
Posts

 
Drives: F20 125d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Some of these things may be a bit Euro-specific, but here's my list:

- Make the car lighter
- Make more options available on the 5 series available on the 3
- Make the smaller engines sound better
- Enable the iDrive to link to a Spotify account to stream music via an iPhone

That last one I would be VERY interested in...

...oh, and don't use electric power steering!
__________________
F20 125d M Sport
Previous: E92 335i M Sport Individual
E90 325i SE E46 318i SE E36 316i

Last edited by jhbodle; 04-22-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #114
K1M2
New Member
K1M2's Avatar
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 128i, 325ic, 325ix, 2002Tii,M2
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sandy, Utah

iTrader: (0)

-add dipstick for motor and transmission.
-Coolant temperature gauge
-NO runflats and add spare tire kit w/jack
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #115
Alex D
Private
Alex D's Avatar
2
Rep
85
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Make it at least half as reliable and solidly built as my G35. That wold be a 100% improvement!!
__________________
'07 335i Convertible - Karmesinrot/Korallrot, Dinan Stage 2, 6-speed, Sport/Premium/Cold Weather Pkgs., iDrive/Nav, BMWCCA#407025
'13 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 - Ingot Silver/Gray, Ecoboost 3.5l Twin Turbo, 302A Equipment Group, 3.31 Electronic Lock Axle, Tailgate Step
'08 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring - Crystal Pearl White/Tan
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #116
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
bluefly's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Car is lookimg amazing man!

Nice work as always and love the detailed writeup with photos and props to vendors... Car is so clean!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #117
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
29
Rep
1,546
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz-e90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1M2 View Post
-add dipstick for motor and transmission.
-Coolant temperature gauge
-NO runflats and add spare tire kit w/jack
Can you please explain the importance of having the dip stick?
The car comes with this great warranty package when bought brand new..


We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

Engine Oil Services: $0
Inspection Services: $0
Wiper Blade Inserts: $0
Brake Pads: $0
Brake Discs: $0
Engine Drive Belts: $0
Brake Fluid Service: $0

plus on board computer tells you the oil level. why get your hands dirty when you can see it through the cluster instrument.

I don't see the importance of the dip stick..

what other car company has this sort of great warranty?
Call me old fashioned, but I would like some visual feedback on my oil as well. Instrument cluster oil check is great and alerts you when you need more In case you've forgotten, but it doesn't tell me the relative condition of the oil when I check it. It also makes it hard to gauge oil quantity when changing oil outside of warranty (I'll NOT be paying for oil changes after warranty since I can save more than half of my money DIY while still using OEM filters and LL-01 oil).

Furthermore, every time I have ever checked my oil level digitally it has told me that I have exactly the "max" quantity, right at the line. I find this hard to believe after the amount of oil that has gone into and come out of my car.

Why trust a computer when I can know for certain just by popping the hood?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #118
GodLy
DSC OFF!
GodLy's Avatar
No_Country
5
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: E92 N54
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Localhost

iTrader: (2)

Built in source "video in"
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #119
bimmermookie
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 328i, sport prem xeno
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: northeast

iTrader: (0)

I like the cruise control stalk...

1. Modern stereo controls! I can't believe this isn't high on others' lists! The LED display is so 1980s, and is near invisible with polarized sunglasses.

The push button controls for stuff like selecting AM or FM, or Random when using the ipod, are tiny and don't even line up properly with the LED function listed above them! You're never sure which button to push! This is crazy!

Then to top it all off, the steering wheel control for selecting the next track on your ipod (and a CD?) makes you push UP! Did BMW ever notice that nothing else works this way?! Like on an iPod? Where the tracks are always listed in descending order? Or on a CD or album cover? Or on the grocery list you scrawl on a scrap of paper? I know Arabs write from right to left; do Germans write from bottom to top?!

I'm begging, please someone explain this stuff to me!

2. Stop forcing buyers into RFTs. At least offer regular tires as an option. Give us a tire repair kit instead of a spare and jack, if weight and trunk space are the concern.

3. More interior cargo space/options.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #120
sbw
Ultimate Driver
sbw's Avatar
4
Rep
366
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

How on God's beautiful blue Earth do you improve upon perfection?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #121
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M
antzcrashing's Avatar
13
Rep
1,107
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz-e90 View Post
Can you please explain the importance of having the dip stick?
The car comes with this great warranty package when bought brand new..


We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

Engine Oil Services: $0
Inspection Services: $0
Wiper Blade Inserts: $0
Brake Pads: $0
Brake Discs: $0
Engine Drive Belts: $0
Brake Fluid Service: $0

plus on board computer tells you the oil level. why get your hands dirty when you can see it through the cluster instrument.

I don't see the importance of the dip stick..

what other car company has this sort of great warranty?
There are many enthusiasts that enjoy working on and maintaining their cars. And they keep them after 50K miles...

Others buy BMWs after 50K miles and also enjoy caring for them by keeping the oil level in check. Sure many people don't care about or know how to use a dipstick, but we do (many have indicated it on this forum)

This is by the same token as the BMW toolkit in the truck which has faded away - we want to be able to tighten that bolt on the side of the highway or change our tires (non-runflats). Perhaps it old school, perhaps even primitive, but it IS what we want.

Being involved in the state of your BMW, changing its oil yourself is a Pride thing, don't make it impossible.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #122
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M
antzcrashing's Avatar
13
Rep
1,107
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I would like some visual feedback on my oil as well. Instrument cluster oil check is great and alerts you when you need more In case you've forgotten, but it doesn't tell me the relative condition of the oil when I check it. It also makes it hard to gauge oil quantity when changing oil outside of warranty (I'll NOT be paying for oil changes after warranty since I can save more than half of my money DIY while still using OEM filters and LL-01 oil).

Furthermore, every time I have ever checked my oil level digitally it has told me that I have exactly the "max" quantity, right at the line. I find this hard to believe after the amount of oil that has gone into and come out of my car.

Why trust a computer when I can know for certain just by popping the hood?
+1 but we are not old fashioned, we are correct fashioned.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #123
LeifW
Captain
12
Rep
641
Posts

 
Drives: 1M AW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CT, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz-e90 View Post
Can you please explain the importance of having the dip stick?
The car comes with this great warranty package when bought brand new..


We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

Engine Oil Services: $0
Inspection Services: $0
Wiper Blade Inserts: $0
Brake Pads: $0
Brake Discs: $0
Engine Drive Belts: $0
Brake Fluid Service: $0

plus on board computer tells you the oil level. why get your hands dirty when you can see it through the cluster instrument.

I don't see the importance of the dip stick..

what other car company has this sort of great warranty?
With a dipstick, I can check the quality of the oil. Because of a dipstick I got early warning that a manifold gasket was starting to leak. There were no warning lights, but I could see small amounts of water on the dipstick.For more info I suggest you search as there have been a bunch of threads on this topic.

This thread is for people to list their wish list of items they'd like to see on the next gen 3-Series. Let's not hijack it by questioning/criticizing people's wish list.

Leif W.

Last edited by LeifW; 04-23-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #124
pyrat
First Lieutenant
pyrat's Avatar
4
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz-e90 View Post

"Lower Your Expectations and Aspirations." It will make everyone so much happier.

This kind of thinking never got anyone anything. Your current BMW may meet, and exceed your expectations - mind does (e46 325i). But another BMW offering may not - I believe the e90 328i is not on par with the e46.

So I am hoping that BMW just made a mistake, dropped their guard. And the less than stellar e90 3-series sales will make them re-evaluate and listen closer to the feedback of BMW owners. Hence my constructive criticisms.

For the first time in many years the audi a4 outsold the 3-series in Europe - perhaps that will serve as some proof of my claims.
__________________

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #125
Ivan Ho
Captain Fantastic
Ivan Ho's Avatar
Hong Kong
1
Rep
124
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E46 330ci
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivan Ho
Smile Improvement needed for next generation F30/F32 3 series....

1) Less weight overall
2) Use more Carbon Fibre
3) No bigger size. The 3 series has grown from generation to generation. It is more than enough.
4) less pressure needed on the throttle to launch it (for one reason, it must be the weight especially on higher end models)
5) better looking back-up mirrors, get rid of the latest square-like pair.
6) Provide more color options for stock, especially in the area of sharp color. 3ers are supposed to look young & bright.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #126
uter
BMW nerd
uter's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
227
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, 550GT, 840Ci
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Scottsdale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Re: 3 Series Touring

First, make sure the USA gets the touring, not some 3GT weirdness.

Power rear hatch up/down, with key remote controls.
Ventilated seats (c'mon, even my mother-in-law's IS250 had these)
Factory BMW performance parts when car is ordered/Euro delivery
Keep the stalk cruise control. I had it on my e28, I have it on my Z4Mcoupe, and I still want it on a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #127
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
JackMac's Avatar
Scotland
34
Rep
1,920
Posts

 
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southeast PA

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
I'm amazed at how many people are making design suggestions. You can be sure that those decisions occured long ago, and are not going to be changed now.

What we can work on is marketing and packaging. Especially in the US market, where our options are often limited.

I would like to see the M-Sport package available sooner, within 6 months of launch. And EPA certify more engine choices for the US market. Not just 2 or 3.

Lastly, offer special edition models from the factory. How about a BMW Performance edition?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #128
LeifW
Captain
12
Rep
641
Posts

 
Drives: 1M AW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CT, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMac View Post
Lastly, offer special edition models from the factory. How about a BMW Performance edition?

I like that idea.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #129
MikeTerp
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
150
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328 (E90)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Plus farking one. Best cruise control on a car evAR.

I feel like i could drive in traffic with it. It's really an incredible amount of control at your fingertips.
I DO drive in traffic with mine (up to a point). It is a good system. I absolutely HATE rentals with button control cruise control systems after driving any BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #130
e46e92love
Brigadier General
e46e92love's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
3,059
Posts

 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
It's there now, just push in the center of the slide switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
Cool. Add that to the "Things you didn't know about your 3 series" thread.
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #131
MikeTerp
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
150
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328 (E90)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz-e90 View Post
Can you please explain the importance of having the dip stick?
The car comes with this great warranty package when bought brand new..


We cover all factory-recommended maintenance at no charge for the first four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, as well as specific items that require replacement due to normal wear and tear.

Your maintenance costs:

Engine Oil Services: $0
Inspection Services: $0
Wiper Blade Inserts: $0
Brake Pads: $0
Brake Discs: $0
Engine Drive Belts: $0
Brake Fluid Service: $0

plus on board computer tells you the oil level. why get your hands dirty when you can see it through the cluster instrument.

I don't see the importance of the dip stick..

what other car company has this sort of great warranty?
Quite frankly, I find your post appaling. The "free" maintenance offered by BMW has nothing to do with the dipstick issue, and for those who drive their cars more than average, especially many miles on the highway, the amount of "free" maintenance can be quite limited. I got exactly two "free" oil changes and a set of wiper blades before I exceeded 50K miles, with the maintenance being dictated by the on-board computer (I changed the oil myself several other times in between "official" changes).

As for the dipstick issue, beyond what others have said about being able to visually inspect the oil, there is a matter of accuracy. The first time I changed the oil and filter myself, I put in the recommended seven quarts (N52 engine). The car's computer display indicated "full". Fine. Next time I changed it - because of some comments on BMW message boards about overfilling the crankcase, I put in 6.5 quarts. The display again read "full". Next time I put in 6 quarts - "full". I reported this to my dealer thinking I had a bad sensor. They claim they checked and it was "normal". I put in another quart anyway.

The instant question becomes how many BMW owners have dangerously overfilled their engine's crankcases because of some possibly erroneous computer readout? Another one: how much does this sensor cost BMW to install and pass on to their customers, compared to a simple dipstick? I absolutely guarantee you that anyone too lazy to periodically check their oil with a dipstick probably doesn't do it on their I-Drive either.

Hooking everything up to a computer is not always the smartest way to go. Often, simpler is better.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #132
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
38
Rep
1,711
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp View Post
Quite frankly, I find your post appaling. The "free" maintenance offered by BMW has nothing to do with the dipstick issue, and for those who drive their cars more than average, especially many miles on the highway, the amount of "free" maintenance can be quite limited. I got exactly two "free" oil changes and a set of wiper blades before I exceeded 50K miles, with the maintenance being dictated by the on-board computer (I changed the oil myself several other times in between "official" changes).

As for the dipstick issue, beyond what others have said about being able to visually inspect the oil, there is a matter of accuracy. The first time I changed the oil and filter myself, I put in the recommended seven quarts (N52 engine). The car's computer display indicated "full". Fine. Next time I changed it - because of some comments on BMW message boards about overfilling the crankcase, I put in 6.5 quarts. The display again read "full". Next time I put in 6 quarts - "full". I reported this to my dealer thinking I had a bad sensor. They claim they checked and it was "normal". I put in another quart anyway.

The instant question becomes how many BMW owners have dangerously overfilled their engine's crankcases because of some possibly erroneous computer readout? Another one: how much does this sensor cost BMW to install and pass on to their customers, compared to a simple dipstick? I absolutely guarantee you that anyone too lazy to periodically check their oil with a dipstick probably doesn't do it on their I-Drive either.

Hooking everything up to a computer is not always the smartest way to go. Often, simpler is better.
Amen!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST