F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Deposit on 2017 330i M Sport - engine bay advise
proTUNING Freaks

01-27-2024, 11:37 AM   #23
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdriver320i View Post
Wow you have an amazing car. I would love a 340. That sunset orange is the most beautiful f30 I’ve ever seen. It has the digital screen option too. Man you almost got one is wild. The sunset orange one went under deposit in one day then came back on the market two weeks later. It’s just an awesome F30 340 xdrive , even with the miles I would buy it if I could.

Below!!

I called CarMax and reserved it again and they are going to confirm to me today if the car is xdrive. If it is a unicorn i will be so happy. Someone at the myrtle beach store is going to check the suspension out for me today. I was relieved when you and I confirmed the Vin and that its CARFAX was real because it was extremely well maintained with preventative maintenance also. It’s really beautiful and I would keep this one for a long time. I just need to know if the factory in error put an xdrive badge on it. I know a lot of guys rebadge the cars but wouldn’t add xdrive. My friend said they traded it and got more money for making it xdrive. Who knows? One time I thought I could change mine from 320i to 330d due to one exhaust tip but it’s dumb and could cause a service mistake.

I will post back when I hear if it’s xdrive . I’m going crazy
You should ask them to send you some photos of the undercarriage. Specifically showing whether there is a transfer case. If it’s xDrive I can unequivocally promise you it will not have the 704 M Sport suspension. Did you know you can code the transmission in your 320i to be the sport transmission?

Of course, as I mentioned, I would count it as a win if it’s rwd!! I would encourage you not to write it off! I’ve been driving rwd with winter tires in Chicago for twelve years now and I never feel “unsecure” on the road and usually the awd folks are driving slower than I am. I feel like if you were getting passed by most drivers before you were probably being too cautious. Maybe a little afraid of the rwd?

Don’t forget, if you’re still in Simsbury, just thirty miles away - https://www.facebook.com/share/qikfT...ibextid=79PoIi

. Good luck!!
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-27-2024, 11:37 AM   #24
Fredo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
... My friend said they traded it and got more money for making it xdrive. Who knows?
Mmhh ... I didn't think about that option.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 01:21 PM   #25
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They said they looked at the car and confirmed its xdrive. I asked if I could get a photo of the transfer case undercarriage and waiting for them to text it to me now. I asked did they just walk out and see xdrive on the trunk, how did they confirm xdrive and they couldn’t tell me how it was confirmed. I’m losing faith in this situation.
Agreed. If you want, next you should ask them to explain why all of the paperwork, including BMW’s own owner website, indicates it is rwd. Ask to see a photo of the title showing it is an xDrive. Honestly, the only explanation that makes sense to me at this point is that the badge was put on in error at the factory.

01-27-2024, 05:02 PM   #26
ctdriver320i
ERROR 404
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Agreed. If you want, next you should ask them to explain why all of the paperwork, including BMW’s own owner website, indicates it is rwd. Ask to see a photo of the title showing it is an xDrive. Honestly, the only explanation that makes sense to me at this point is that the badge was put on in error at the factory.
I requested me photo of the undercarriage after they called me back and confirmed it is in fact an xdrive. I asked why my $40 carfax said RWD and I linked our thread so CarMax can see this whole thread. I asked why carfax and my friend here posted all the evidence of RWD. I asked how did they confirm. They said if it turns our as as RWD they will refund me $250 transfer fee. Like when?!?!? After I surrender my 17 320i. Don’t get me wrong. I know I’m a low end customer. Probably don’t matter that much to them. They called me and confirmed xdrive I asked how and they could not answer, then blamed me for not asking for a soecific picture of the underside transfer case. I made it clear , I do not think CarMax is at fault or trying to do a shady deal, but don’t make me give my mint 320 xdrive and title to you just to get a $250 transfer fee returned. I said this deal should have closed four days ago if they could just really verify what they are selling. If it’s real xdrive then great! They said I would get a photo of the underside transfer case but I can’t be certain the nice gentleman even knew what a transfer case is. I have not got a pic yet and now it’s 6 pm so they are gone for the day. This is not about CarMax being shady. I think they got taken by a trade in and someone add3d the xdrive badge to get a higher trade, it’s totally possible. BMW doesn’t make those mistakes is another reason I never own an6bother car. They got scammed by a badge is my current theory, however if it is a real xdrive I want to know.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 05:51 PM   #27
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I requested me photo of the undercarriage after they called me back and confirmed it is in fact an xdrive. I asked why my $40 carfax said RWD and I linked our thread so CarMax can see this whole thread. I asked why carfax and my friend here posted all the evidence of RWD. I asked how did they confirm. They said if it turns our as as RWD they will refund me $250 transfer fee. Like when?!?!? After I surrender my 17 320i. Don’t get me wrong. I know I’m a low end customer. Probably don’t matter that much to them. They called me and confirmed xdrive I asked how and they could not answer, then blamed me for not asking for a soecific picture of the underside transfer case. I made it clear , I do not think CarMax is at fault or trying to do a shady deal, but don’t make me give my mint 320 xdrive and title to you just to get a $250 transfer fee returned. I said this deal should have closed four days ago if they could just really verify what they are selling. If it’s real xdrive then great! They said I would get a photo of the underside transfer case but I can’t be certain the nice gentleman even knew what a transfer case is. I have not got a pic yet and now it’s 6 pm so they are gone for the day. This is not about CarMax being shady. I think they got taken by a trade in and someone add3d the xdrive badge to get a higher trade, it’s totally possible. BMW doesn’t make those mistakes is another reason I never own an6bother car. They got scammed by a badge is my current theory, however if it is a real xdrive I want to know.
I feel pretty confident they aren’t going to make you give up your car to get the $250 transfer fee refunded. Though I would get that in writing from a manager. Looks like the Hartford CarMax is pretty close to you. Maybe you could swing by there and get a firm commitment on the transfer fee refund. I would check to see if they will put the transfer charge on a credit card? If they will do that then you would have some additional protection. If they give you a hard time with the refund, assuming it’s not xDrive and you don’t buy it, you could get your credit card company to charge the fee back to them.

I don’t know what your feelings are, but for me it would be worth the risk. $250 isn’t a whole lot to risk and it looks to be a very good car. I think a couple of big questions for you are giving up the beige/oyster leather for black leatherette and giving up the heated steering wheel and rear seats. I’m guessing the rear seats don’t matter much. We mentioned the folding rear seats and I know you mentioned you have a Jeep. I will say I use my folding rear seats A LOT.

Obviously neither of us know, but I’ve seen folks post about even more substantial mistakes like this happening at the factory and there’s something about how perfectly positioned the xDrive badge is that makes me think it was a factory error. But, it is entirely possible someone else was just very careful and precise in putting the badge on there.

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-27-2024 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 06:35 PM   #28
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don’t really care about the $250 fee tbh. My only real concern is signing my xdrive over to a RWD and then after it’s too late to get my 320 back need to do the car max return policy. I don’t want to go through that. Yes the previous owner and many of us could position the xdrive badge just right. I’ve just never heard of this scam to trade in before. It’s so simple. I asked have you decided the vin and looked at the carfax?…. Silence.I get it’s embarrassing to not know what your selling but to send someone out to the lot to read the trunk missed the whole problem of reservation this car two times and I completed the entire finance approval and trade deal. I was like go ahead I’m ready to take it up the a for u to sell me this car lmao. I have one simple question I am now waiting patiently for. Is the car badged improperly or is it really a xdrive m sport. I had these seats in my 13 m sport and they are harder but this is a give and take. I mean we all know a blue 330i xdrive m sport is nicer than a 320 xdrive sport.
Well, regarding the transfer I can put your mind at ease. Just having the car transferred doesn’t imply any commitment on your part to actually buy the car. If you look at it and decide you don’t want it then that’s the end of it. Even if it turned out to be an xDrive, but you just decided for whatever reason, such as preferring to stick with the leather you have, the very worst thing is you’d lose $250. So, if you have it transferred just have them take it to their garage and show you the xDrive transfer case and the half-shafts on the front axles to confirm it is, in fact, xDrive.

I know you mentioned speeding being an issue leading you to the 320i, but I think you would REALLY enjoy a 330i!!! And I’ll just say it one more time, don’t write it off if it’s rwd. RWD is what a real BMW is supposed to be!!

little side note: look how big those front brake rotors are!!

01-27-2024, 06:52 PM   #29
ctdriver320i
ERROR 404
Rep

[QUOTE=tturedraider;30851907]Well, regarding the transfer I can put your mind at ease. .

Last edited by ctdriver320i; 05-04-2024 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 07:27 PM   #30
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You make some really good points about just get the car here and look at it myself. If it’s not xdrive I don’t have to take it. You’re absolutely right. And they won’t make me sign over my title until I take deliver being as at this point I’m using my trade as a down payment.

The problem is I’m north ct where for years only drove a 330i sport and a mustang gt s195 07 cali special with blizzard rft. My 13 m sport xdrive was amazing in snow. I could never go back to rwd. There are 20 rwd available on CarMax right now many m sport. One xdrive 330d which was quite interesting.

But if I’m going to spend 25k on a 17 330i m sport xdrive with 73,000 miles as a consumer I shouldn’t need to transport a vehicle five states to confirm a suspension lmao. I get it and I want it I love it it’s amazing. I had my ducks ready but when you lmao showed me the real spec, well there’s a 16 328i xdrive with 60k same color for 5k less which is almost the same car. Remember 17 island 18 were the first time 330 came with 4 cylinder twin turbo, this whole deal was ready to be signed off on Thursday until I realized from you something is off. Really 330 m sport 2017 RWD are much easier to locate. If that’s what it is it is overpriced tbh imho.
Personally, I wouldn’t change from your 2017 sport pkg 320i for a 2016 328i. Wouldn’t even consider it. Outside of switching to a 330i I see no reason to change.

Pricing-wise xDrive adds virtually zero value to resale. RWD 3ers in the south and xDrive 3ers in the north sell for pretty much exactly the same prices.

So, I think from what you’ve said one of the things that intrigued you about this car was that it shows it has the 704 M Sport suspension. If it was, in fact, xDrive I can guarantee you unequivocally, with 100% certainty it would not have the sport suspension. On the F30 the sport suspension was absolutely not available with xDrive. Unless, of course, there was a really big screw up at the factory on that, but, in all honesty, I think the odds of that are virtually zero. It’s much easier to envision that a badge was applied accidentally than that a whole suspension was installed accidentally.

01-28-2024, 01:15 AM   #31
Fredo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Realoem.com to the rescue!

The Carmax car is indeed RWD. I entered the last 7 of VIN ( NU51781 ) in realoem and the Type Code shows as 8B93 = F30 LCI BMW 330i.

I found this other 2017 with last 7 of VIN = K678226 and realoem shows Type Code 8D93 = F30 LCI BMW 330iX.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...icle/693962098
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 06:41 AM   #32
ctdriver320i
ERROR 404
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Realoem.com to the rescue!

The Carmax car is indeed RWD. I entered the last 7 of VIN ( NU51781 ) in realoem and the Type Code shows as 8B93 = F30 LCI BMW 330i.

I found this other 2017 with last 7 of VIN = K678226 and realoem shows Type Code 8D93 = F30 LCI BMW 330iX.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...icle/693962098
Thank you!

Last edited by ctdriver320i; 05-04-2024 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:19 AM   #33
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah the 16 Bmw 328i xdrive below inhad my eye on only 58k miles is $18,000 plus 13% is what I was told.

Perhaps the trunk was replaced and it had an xdrive badge on it on the 17.

https://www.licshowroom.com/vdp/2059...ueens-NY-11101
I’m going to backtrack on saying I wouldn’t consider this car. I think it’s probably worth taking a look at if making the trip there is worth it to you. CarFax shows it as a two owner, but AutoCheck says one owner. That’s just the “headline” on AutoCheck. I didn’t see the whole report, because it wasn’t available for free. But, what I noticed on CarFax is it shows it was first sold on December 31st, 2015, but then it shows it was sold again on February 23, 2016 with 256 miles. This makes me think maybe the dealer reported it sold at the end of the year to reduce his end of year inventory tax. Dealers have been known to do this. And then actually sold to the first real buyer in February. This car looks like it’s in really good condition and I think in reality it probably is a one owner. And obviously the owner was at least a little bit of a car guy, because he debadged the car, added the spoiler and front splitter, and added the smoked reflectors on the fenders.

So, you mentioned they told you $18k + 13%. That seems to make sense. It looks like they are a little sleazy on their advertised prices. I saw one guy give them a bad review for advertising one price online and then the actual price was substantially higher. Here’s what they have on their website about their pricing:

“The stated price reflects the remaining amount after a 14% initial payment, in addition to local sales taxes, certification, destination, and any relevant fees. Showroom Auto has lowered prices to be the most competitive on the East Coast, providing customers with a straightforward, non-negotiable firm price to eliminate any hassle. Advertised offers must be presented at the time of sale to secure the advertised price. All customers must take delivery from our showroom to receive special internet pricing. We reserve the right to accept or refuse any offer we deem unreasonable and unprofitable, as well as the right to end this listing if the vehicle is no longer available for sale.”

So, $17,981 divided by 86% = $20,900. That’s just a little over Edmund’s Outstanding condition Retail value of $20,425. So, it’s not entirely out of line. And $18,000 + 13% is only $20,340. Maybe you could get them to $19,000 or $20,000 even. Of course, push for $17k or $18k.

I did an Edmund’s value on your car and it looks like maybe you had done it, because their website will retain information and it showed a mileage of around 110,000. Is that correct? That’s what made me think this one would be worth considering. Moving back by 50,000 miles would be nice. And then this car has HK stereo, the oyster leather, and would have the folding rear seats. I wonder what condition the tires are in?

In all honesty though, I think your best choice if you make the swap is to sell your car yourself. You’ll get so much more than if you trade it in. And your car is in a price range that private party buyers can handle and your car will be very attractive to private party buyers, because it’s well equipped and it’s in really good condition.

Anyway, that gives you a few things to think about.

PS: I will mention I would still prefer a B46 motor over an N26, but this car was produced on July 31st, 2015, so it should have all of the upgraded timing chain system parts.

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-28-2024 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 10:11 AM   #34
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve been running into this dealer pricing problem where it’s one price then you get there it’s with 20% down to get the advertised price. I can sell my 320 for more thank $6k on my own for sure. Yeah I bought it March 2020 with 64k miles I believe and now I have 114k miles. It looks and runs like a 60k mile car. After this whole situation I’m done for now. Perhaps in the spring I will sell or trade. Between the lack of credible information on certain cars and the misrepresentation of prices from some independent dealers it’s total bull shit. That’s good to know about the timing chain upgrade because I was told they didn’t fix it until late 16 so an early 16 built in 15 might not have the better timing chain but 17 for sure was upgraded. The 16 is really sweet there on the showroom floor but I couldn’t get to New York just to go look at it without missing work so there’s that. I did speak with the dealer of the 16 and I would definitely work with them based on his honesty to me about details of the car.

Edit the sales pitch had me dying. If you are ugly you won’t be anymore ��
https://www.licshowroom.com/vdp/2059...101?mode=video
There you go. You gotta go get it!!

The timing chain updates were made beginning in March of 2015.

01-28-2024, 10:28 AM   #35
ctdriver320i
ERROR 404
Rep

Quote:
There you go. You gotta go get it!!

The timing chain updates were made beginning in March of 2015.
Your not wrong! I would love that car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 11:30 AM   #36
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just remembered this car. It’s almost in your backyard. It’s not an M Sport, but you could swap your wheels and tires onto it and you could swap the steering wheels (yourself or get a shop to do it.). From everything I can tell it’s in great shape and it’s very well equipped. This guy has had a hard time selling it and I honestly don’t know why. I’m not sure if he ever listed it anywhere other than here. I’m not sure if he still has it. It’s been a little over three weeks. He had been talking about trading it in. His last price was $17,900.

You would really grow to appreciate the cameras especially…in addition to the motor.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2018366

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-28-2024 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
Fredo270.00
MEN54242.50
      01-28-2024, 12:25 PM   #37
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

Quote:
I just remembered this car. It’s almost in your backyard. It’s not an M Sport, but you could swap your wheels and tires onto it and you could swap the steering wheels (yourself or get a shop to do it.). From everything I can tell it’s in great shape and it’s very well equipped. This guy has had a hard time selling it and I honestly don’t know why. I’m not sure if he ever listed it anywhere other than here. I’m not sure if he still has it. It’s been a little over three weeks. He had been talking about trading it in. His last price was $17,900.

You would really grow to appreciate the cameras especially…in addition to the motor.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2018366
I still have it
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 12:37 PM   #38
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEN54 View Post
I still have it
How many miles these days?

01-28-2024, 12:58 PM   #39
ctdriver320i
ERROR 404
Rep

Quote:
It's nicely optioned lux line , sport gearbox. Just under 70K miles. I had a white M sport and do not want white or black again.

I'm looking specifically for a m sport xdrive , blue, cali red or silver or charcoal brown or gold. I do not want my 658. They add a bit of resale value to the 320. I am only gettin 400M on an m sport. 16 328i xdrive or 17 330i xdrive with 50k to 70K miles. No sport line needing any modifications. Thanks for sharing though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 01:02 PM   #40
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 01:11 PM   #41
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's nicely optioned lux line , sport gearbox. Just under 70K miles. I had a white M sport and do not want white or black again.

I'm looking specifically for a m sport xdrive , blue, cali red or silver or charcoal brown or gold. I do not want my 658. They add a bit of resale value to the 320. I am only gettin 400M on an m sport. 16 328i xdrive or 17 330i xdrive with 50k to 70K miles. No sport line needing any modifications. Thanks for sharing though.
Cool! I understand. You should take the train to Long Island this weekend! That Estoril Blue with the Oyster leather would be a smooth transition for you! And I know you’d like turning back the clock by almost 60k miles.

The 658s look great and they are the best wheels BMW put on the sport 320i, but I love the 400Ms, too. I’m very glad my car has them. I had a Glacier Silver 340i M Sport previously that had the 704Ms. I grew to like them quite a bit over time, but I still prefer the 400s and they are a better choice for Chicago streets.

01-28-2024, 02:00 PM   #42
ctdriver320i
ERROR 404
Rep

Quote:
Cool! I understand. You should take the train to Long Island this weekend! That Estoril Blue with the Oyster leather would be a smooth transition for you! And I know you’d like turning back the clock by almost 60k miles.

The 658s look great and they are the best wheels BMW put on the sport 320i, but I love the 400Ms, too. I’m very glad my car has them. I had a Glacier Silver 340i M Sport previously that had the 704Ms. I grew to like them quite a bit over time, but I still prefer the 400s and they are a better choice for Chicago streets.
Yes for a nice 320 the 658 is perfect. i don't mix 400m with a sport line and dont like the other m sport options on F30 The M400 remind me of the love I had to the E46 M sport 68m. My familiy is from E23 and Lex ave in manhattan and also Long Island Oceanside. I have driven in many times and could. I am ein the middle of a work deadline until the end of January and there is no way for me to take a day or half a day off. I dont have time to private party my sale and not sure the guys at the 16 BMW dealer even would take my trade. Many factors.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 07:10 PM   #43
ctdriver320i
ERROR 404
Rep

Quote:
You should ask them to send you some photos of the undercarriage. Specifically showing whether there is a transfer case. If it’s xDrive I can unequivocally promise you it will not have the 704 M Sport suspension. Did you know you can code the transmission in your 320i to be the sport transmission?

Of course, as I mentioned, I would count it as a win if it’s rwd!! I would encourage you not to write it off! I’ve been driving rwd with winter tires in Chicago for twelve years now and I never feel “unsecure” on the road and usually the awd folks are driving slower than I am. I feel like if you were getting passed by most drivers before you were probably being too cautious. Maybe a little afraid of the rwd?

Don’t forget, if you’re still in Simsbury, just thirty miles away - https://www.facebook.com/share/qikfT...ibextid=79PoIi

. Good luck!!
I have completed my research on this vehicle including photos from Everett sale since 2017. It has never had an xdrive badge. It was not a mistake from the BMW factory. It only appears in the photos in the most recent sale photos. Honestly I could not imagine BMW with such superior engineering ever put an xdrive badge on error. Thanks to my friend here who stopped me from making a huge error. I been acquired an additional 4k for the warranties but before I signed was told here it’s RWD. Thabk you !
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Fredo270.00
      02-01-2024, 10:50 PM   #44
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Have you told CarMax about everything you found? I see someone has it reserved right now. If CarMax sells it as an xDrive they could find themselves in a world of hurt.

I can’t recall any specific details, but I can recall at least one and I think two occurrences of forum members posting about BMW actually building a car with different equipment than what was ordered and was on the build sheet.