F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT Hard drive replacement - 2016 435i
ARMA SPEED

01-12-2023, 09:52 AM   #45
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster_E View Post
Hi all! Thank you all for the info

I have a failed hard disk as well. I've ordered the 500 GB Toshiba disk mentioned in this tread. I have a couple of questions.

Does the first post procedure work for the NBT non-EVO version as well? The labels in the photos reads 'NBT EVO'.

And in the create_hdd.sh script, do I need to change the following?

Code:
MAC_ADDRESS=FFFFFFFFFFFF
BTMAC_ADDRESS=FFFFFFFFFFFF
NBT_SERIALNUMBER=FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Thank you.
You're right, the 1st post pics are of an Evo unit. I've never actually done this with an Evo unit myself, but I have done it for about 5 NBT units so I can confirm it works fine with non-Evo NBT.

Didn't realise the process was the same for Evo so that's good to know - as far as I'm aware you can use an SSD with an Evo unit but you can't with an NBT unit because they're picky about the SMART temperature attribute. NBT expects it to be on a specific value that apparently no SSD uses, but NBT Evo supposedly doesn't care.

No need to change the MAC, BTMAC and Serial parameters in the script. I assume they're for the hddsecurity script to run so it can unlock the drives but if you're just prepping a new blank drive there's no need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney6959 View Post
Has anybody tried or had success cloning the old drive to new?
I'm guessing my drive has bad sectors, which may very well defeat the whole point of cloning. But I would gather it's easier (if it WOULD work) to do then build the drive from new.

Also, I'm mostly a Windows guy. How do these steps differ if I have a Linux VM I can do all of this from?
I've never tried it before because the original drive and newer replacement drives have different sector sizes so the cluster sizes are different so I figured it was best to just make the partitions manually. It would be a good idea to take a clone of an original drive though and I do happen to have a spare NBT unit with its original drive intact, so when I get some time I will take an image of it.

You can't use Linux, it has to be QNX. The basic CLI stuff is obviously just the same as Linux, but these head units use QNX partition types and not ext3/ext4 etc that are used in Linux. You can do it through a QNX VM in Windows though, but I've never done that. Always just used a spare older PC I've got kicking around and disconnected all its original drives so the only thing hooked up is the new replacement drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 03:50 PM   #46
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
I've never tried it before because the original drive and newer replacement drives have different sector sizes so the cluster sizes are different so I figured it was best to just make the partitions manually. It would be a good idea to take a clone of an original drive though and I do happen to have a spare NBT unit with its original drive intact, so when I get some time I will take an image of it.

You can't use Linux, it has to be QNX. The basic CLI stuff is obviously just the same as Linux, but these head units use QNX partition types and not ext3/ext4 etc that are used in Linux. You can do it through a QNX VM in Windows though, but I've never done that. Always just used a spare older PC I've got kicking around and disconnected all its original drives so the only thing hooked up is the new replacement drive.
This has been incredibly helpful information, Thank you.
Now I just need to find the time to grab the existing drive from my unit as I'd like to grab an image from it before putting a new drive in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 09:54 AM   #47
Grandmaster_E
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Smile

Thank you @goldenadam and @Zheez! It worked flawlessly! My NBT unit is alive again :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 08:10 AM   #48
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep

I spent the weekend trying this, running into issues on my pc trying to run QNX, but got that resolved.

I got to the point of running the script, and it threw back 4 errors on me (one for each partition)... "WRANING: mountpoint XXXX not available".

I said screw it, I'll get back to it tomorrow. So, today I go to try again and now I can't mount the drive to the C:\VirtualBoxDrives folder. I receive "VERR Access Denied".

Is my drive kact?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 09:45 AM   #49
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney6959 View Post
I spent the weekend trying this, running into issues on my pc trying to run QNX, but got that resolved.

I got to the point of running the script, and it threw back 4 errors on me (one for each partition)... "WRANING: mountpoint XXXX not available".

I said screw it, I'll get back to it tomorrow. So, today I go to try again and now I can't mount the drive to the C:\VirtualBoxDrives folder. I receive "VERR Access Denied".

Is my drive kact?
Disregard.
I created a LiveCD and placed the drive in an old laptop, then followed the manual steps listed here (adjusting for block size due to a larger drive).
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/u...#post-13574739

I believe the drive it properly configured now, though I have not yet installed it in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 03:00 PM   #50
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep

Well... The drive swap ended up being irrelevant to me anyway.

The problem I'm having is my sons phone (Pixel 3) causes my head unit to reboot anytime it connects to it. I have the exact same phone with no issue.

I figured the drive would help that. Nope. Loading the maps in the new drive anyway as it's twice the size. But I'm keeping the original in a safe place.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 12:35 PM   #51
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That sucks, but at least you got the drive prepped up properly Always good to have a backup. That's what I did with my NBT unit - put a new drive in but kept the original safe just in case. They're getting to the age where drive failures are common so having a spare drive is very handy.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 05:19 AM   #52
William_Oliver_123
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

NBT does not appear to be compatible with any SSDs since it searches for a temperature value on a particular SMART property that no SSD appears to support.

Last edited by William_Oliver_123; 01-26-2023 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:44 AM   #53
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sucks, but at least you got the drive prepped up properly Always good to have a backup. That's what I did with my NBT unit - put a new drive in but kept the original safe just in case. They're getting to the age where drive failures are common so having a spare drive is very handy.
Yeah. On the bright side, I learned something new, and got more space for music storage (should I want it).

This thing is really starting to drive me nuts, though. My son, wife, and I all have identical phones (Pixel 3).
Mine connects fine, my wife's connects fine, my sons reboots the HU EVERY time it tries to connect.

To add to this, I was driving the other day and the music streaming from my phone was jumpy. I changed from Amazon to Pandora, and the car seemed to lose connection altogether. I had to pull over and reboot the system to get it functioning again.

I would just love some consistency here.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 06:54 PM   #54
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Xdrive

Just dealt with this today. HDD died from foam cleaner.
went to central computers and just picked up a random 250gb WD SSD

Took 10 minutes to swap out with never having taken the dash apart before. It's super easy.

I considered trying to clone the drive but this guy lists this service for $100 so I didn't even bother

https://bimmer-remote.com/products/b...initialization

Took him about 20 minutes to flash the new SSD using my mhd dongle with Ethernet cable.

The longest part was downloading the 26gb map file afterwards. This was on a 2017 f32 with nbt evo 5.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 04:47 AM   #55
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Good choice going for an SSD - luckily you have an Evo unit so that is an option. Unfortunately for regular NBT you can't use an SSD. It's a shame because an SSD is obviously going to be a lot more reliable.

I've got an Evo unit in my car now but haven't swapped my drive out yet. Like with my NBT drive, I'm going to do it before the hard drive has a chance to die so I'm covered. Does the HU run noticeably faster with an SSD in it at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 10:48 AM   #56
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good choice going for an SSD - luckily you have an Evo unit so that is an option. Unfortunately for regular NBT you can't use an SSD. It's a shame because an SSD is obviously going to be a lot more reliable.

I've got an Evo unit in my car now but haven't swapped my drive out yet. Like with my NBT drive, I'm going to do it before the hard drive has a chance to die so I'm covered. Does the HU run noticeably faster with an SSD in it at all?
I haven't noticed any differences yet, the maps might load a little faster.

Unless you can clone the drive I would say it isn't worth the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 11:16 AM   #57
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morritse View Post
I haven't noticed any differences yet, the maps might load a little faster.

Unless you can clone the drive I would say it isn't worth the hassle.
SSD won’t do much difference in EVO ID5/6
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 09:00 PM   #58
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

May have spoken too soon.

The system is intermittently displaying the same issue, but it now resolves when I restart it. I'm thinking my system might not be playing nice with the particular SSD I installed, or maybe the SATA contacts are dirty or something
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 02:13 AM   #59
Sidd1208
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Hey guys,
For those who are working on a VM I have a trick for you.
use collabedit.com to share the create_hdd.script.
Step 1: you'll need to open this website, CnP the script here and CnP it in the QNX
Step 2: go to /home and create a file named create_hdd.sh
Step 3: Open note pad and save the file you just created.

for those looking for a script for a 250gig hdd please use this:

## new partition table
HDD_SIZE_500GB=30401
DEF_DEBUG_200GB="180 /mnt/quota/sys rw 169"
DEF_MEDIA_200GB="179 /mnt/quota/mm rw 6055"
DEF_SHARE_200GB="178 /mnt/share rw 2201"
DEF_DATA_200GB="177 /mnt/data rw 15895"
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 07:07 AM   #60
johnnyrah
Rep
Drives: 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
There's no need for work like that. Way easier method available for NBTEVO headunit.
Hi, what is the easier way for NBTEvo?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 06:38 AM   #61
johnnyrah
Rep
Drives: 430d

Hi folks, is there anyone who would be able to format an SSD for a ID4 NBT EVO for a price, if so please PM me. I’ve tried use the script with QNX and I can’t get it to work. Thanks,
John.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 04:41 PM   #62
Zajo
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 525dx

Quote:
Run fdisk and if I remember rightly it’ll tell you how many cylinders the drive has somewhere in the lower right of the window. Then just edit the script to change the end cylinder specified (I think yours is set to 60801) to whatever fdisk says it is for your drive.

I have used the exact same 500GB MQ01ABD050 drive and my drive had 60800 cylinders, so it might just be that yours is 1 too high. All I changed in the create_hdd.sh file was:

HDD_SIZE_200GB=60800
DEF_DATA_200GB="177 /mnt/data rw 52374"
DEF_SHARE_200GB="178 /mnt/share rw 2201"
DEF_MEDIA_200GB="179 /mnt/quota/mm rw 6057"
DEF_DEBUG_200GB="180 /mnt/quota/sys rw 169"

I also changed it to start from cylinder 1 to cylinder 0 by changing rSTART=1 to rSTART=0, but I don't think this is necessary. I've had no problems doing it though. You're very nearly there
Can you help me? My PrintScreen in attachment:

Thank you, best regards Adrian
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 12:09 AM   #63
komshiqta
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f15 , e46

NBT

Hello guys ,
I have f15 with NBT HU . my unit keeps rebooting and sometimes can work for hours without rebooting . I supose its from HDD because there are such symtoms like slow navigation loading and when it reads music it keeps interupts like it cant be readed .

I was able to download the QNX 6.5 and started in VB but it requires logins ?
What should I use ?
Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 03:48 AM   #64
Zajo
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 525dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by komshiqta View Post
Hello guys ,
I have f15 with NBT HU . my unit keeps rebooting and sometimes can work for hours without rebooting . I supose its from HDD because there are such symtoms like slow navigation loading and when it reads music it keeps interupts like it cant be readed .

I was able to download the QNX 6.5 and started in VB but it requires logins ?
What should I use ?
Thanks !
Login: root
Password: nothing write
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 09:46 PM   #65
fossum
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Touring

For anyone coming here with hard drive problems like: navigation stuck loading and forgetting Bluetooth pairing, dash presets, radio presets, etc.

Buying a $15 SATA SSD and spending $75 on a level one service at CodeMyBimmer.ca fixed all my issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 11:21 PM   #66
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

man, reading thread with HDD failure due to foam cleaner make me warry of getting my AC evaporator cleaned. i want to clean the evap due to age 7 years old car..

what should i do? one possible way is to take out the HU first, then foam cleaner, then put it back on after it's done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morritse View Post
Just dealt with this today. HDD died from foam cleaner.
went to central computers and just picked up a random 250gb WD SSD

Took 10 minutes to swap out with never having taken the dash apart before. It's super easy.

I considered trying to clone the drive but this guy lists this service for $100 so I didn't even bother

https://bimmer-remote.com/products/b...initialization

Took him about 20 minutes to flash the new SSD using my mhd dongle with Ethernet cable.

The longest part was downloading the 26gb map file afterwards. This was on a 2017 f32 with nbt evo 5.
Appreciate 0