F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Redesigned F30 Bumper
GetBMWParts

09-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320ayayay...

Redesigned F30 Bumper

Although I innitially was attracted to the look of the standard front bumper, I slowly felt myself falling out of love, and began lustfully stalking msport conversion kits on the web. Thanks to LTMW I was able to buy an oem msport kit for a great deal and am now awaiting install.

What's interesting to me about the standard bumper is the way it connects the aerodynamic design around the fog lights all the way across the bumper with the exposed intercooler in the middle. It feels in theme with the connected look of the headlights and kidney grill. At first this look felt more unique than the msport bumper (which really played to the BMW heritage of the previous gen 3 series design).

However over time other aspects of the design began to bother me and it certainly doesn't feel as unique anymore now that the car has been out for years and the streets are full of standard f30s. I can't say I don't like the front bumper, honestly I'm a bit torn. I was annoyed with how high off the ground it looked in comparison to the side skirts. It has an almost up-turned nose effect. I also feel like the air inlet around the intercooler is too small (especially since I had the larger ER FMIC installed). Still a part of me really likes it, so before installing the msport kit, I've given the current stock front end a last hoorah!

Here it is significantly lowered, with the kelleners lip, and a DIY rubber extension to exaggerate the more msport style front splitters look. The bumper extends down further now, aligns with the lines of the side skirts, and looks more commanding and stylish than it did stock. Msport will be on in about a week, so I wanted to share it and get your guys thoughts before the current bumper is exiled to my storage.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 09-29-2016 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Well I'm feeling it, good job

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
It looks really good with that lip, at least in the photo, but congrats on the new bumper!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #4
alex_f30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i alphine white

I like those red braces as well ?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #5
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate the nice comments Vitoco and Jmg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_f30 View Post
I like those red braces as well ?
Hah! Thanks to you Alex Before the kidney grills got kind of lost on the all black car. The red bars really help attract the eye and accent the details in the grill. Still, I might have to switch the matte red to a gloss red when I swap bumpers.

I took another photo with the light catching the red. From this low angle you can also see how the bottom of the front bumper rests the same height from the ground as the side skirts. It finally has a lower profile and balanced look all the way around the car.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 09-30-2016 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Not feelin' it. Rubber extension looks out of place, carbon fiber would have been better. Msport bumper with splitter will trump this look. Beautiful rims though. Can we get a side shot?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
Not feelin' it. Rubber extension looks out of place, carbon fiber would have been better. Msport bumper with splitter will trump this look. Beautiful rims though. Can we get a side shot?
I agree, and the other issue is that he destroyed the front bumper by drilling it for the license plate...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
This is a DIY addition -- no available carbon extension for the Kelleners front end. I'd take a pic of the side, but the car is in the shop right now getting the msport kit and carbon fiber lip. Here is an older pic without the modified front end, but you can see the wheels.

The carbon fiber is tricky with the overall look. You need it in all the right places in order to integrate it into the overall pallet of the car. The rubber already tonally matches other parts (window sills and plastic around the fogs for example). Gonna miss the rubber because it saves me from scratching up the underside of the font and skirts. Might have to try experimenting with it on the new set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwm1166 View Post
I agree, and the other issue is that he destroyed the front bumper by drilling it for the license plate...
"destroyed" lol -- that's dramatic! A front plate won't be going on the new bumper, but I don't mind it on the standard bumper -- unlike the msport, it has a big open space where the plate fits nicely.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 09-30-2016 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0