F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Active cruise control
Extreme Powerhouse

01-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI :)

Active cruise control

I'm thinking of getting Active Cruise Control on my F30 but I'm going back and forth because of its price ($2400 in the US). I found only a few posts or threads about this, and videos are virtually non-existent. From what I gather this is a good option to have because it allows to drive very relaxed, but this is information I got from old threads, not even on an F30.
For those who have it, could you please tell us what your experience has been? Happy with the purchase? Would you do it again? Any anecdotes or unhappy quirks with it? Is it ACC "with stop and go function" (i.e. is it on the F30?)
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
bthuss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i - Alpine White

i drove a 328i with the ACC. i currently have an infiniti with this function and stop and go and its a lifesaver for my 150 mile daily commute.

at first it was a must have on my 335 order, but in the end i decided to get the m-sport instead since my new job would have a much closer commute.

it works perfectly. brings you to a stop just like my infiniti, but the nice part is that it will permanently hold the brake until you tap the gas to get going again. this might sound like no big deal, but my FX50s will only hold the brake at a stop for 2 seconds and then you need to put you foot on it. in stop and go, its a pain in the "you know what"

the only thing you need to watch for on the bmw is that it sits under the license plate in the front and covers part of the lower fascia. if the car is not dark grey or black, it sticks out like a sore thumb. kind of like a big tooth in the middle of the grin. on alpine white it looks terrible IMO.

check out post number "7" in this thread

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615805

i decided in the end that the M sport was the way to go and you cant get it with M sport in the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the impressions! Indeed the ACC device seems to stick out from the front of the car and to be noticeable on lighter colored cars. Anybody has pictures of the front of their F30 with ACC??
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I love it, one of the best options you can add if you drive a lot.
Here is mine, but I don't think you can get this combo in the US (M-sport + ACC).

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
gomichaelkgo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

If you wait a week, I'll tell you how I like it. Mine is currently on a truck between California and Oregon.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

thank you guys. Keep images coming if/when you have any.
@Rossimfumi: great ride! Indeed we can't spec an M-Sport w/ ACC in the US, nor can we have the headlamp washers you have. Great wheels!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Headlamp washers are not all that good and we can't not have them - they're a mandatory purchase with the Xenons.

Wish i'd gone for the ACC (though it doesn't look great on on the Alpine white i must agree).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport Melb. Red

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I love my ACC. I've had my car since Aug. 27, and I use it daily.

It takes some getting used to at first, but it works like a charm.

They have incorporated some nice little features into it as well that aren't really advertised, such as if you are behind a slow car and you arent at your set cruise speed, it'll start accelerating as soon as you turn on your blinker so that you merge into traffic in the faster lane more fluidly.

The stop and go is great. If you are stopped for more than two seconds, you have to lightly tap the gas to let it know that it can go again. I've found this great for stop signs.

It'll also start the engine back up as soon as it senses the car in front front of you pulling away.

I'll post pics of the sensor on my melb. red F30 later on. If you have any other questions, feel free to Message me.
Sport Line, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Sport Auto Trans, Active Cruise Control, Heated Front Seats, Auto High Beams, Parking Assistant, Harmon Kardon
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Great, it really makes me want to get that ACC!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Teme
Rep
Drives: 320iA xDrive

I have the ACC my AW F30 that I picked up yesterday. I don't think that the sensor looks too bad at all - or very big for that matter. Since I only have around 30 hours with the car so far my experiences are limited - but very positive! I can only agree with the previous comments.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teme
I have the ACC my AW F30 that I picked up yesterday. I don't think that the sensor looks too bad at all - or very big for that matter. Since I only have around 30 hours with the car so far my experiences are limited - but very positive! I can only agree with the previous comments.

Great, pl send more pics and feedback when you get a chance! This ACC really seems to be well thought of. I just don't want to pay $2400 for something with quirks that they are still trying to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frencholivier View Post
Great, pl send more pics and feedback when you get a chance! This ACC really seems to be well thought of. I just don't want to pay $2400 for something with quirks that they are still trying to figure out.
I had it on my E92 too and it worked great then too.

There are some situations that are annoying but they are so few and they won't happen very often so it doesn't make it a thing to "think about". Not a single person that have tried my ACC has said anything else than they think it's amazing.

Sometimes when I go on a 500km trip I don't even have to touch the brake, I only steer. It is a lot more relaxing to drive this way and you don't feel that you don't have any control or anything. If you want to overtake a car, just press the accelerator and as soon as you let go of it the car automatically goes back to the previous set speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Is it useful in city traffic as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frencholivier View Post
Is it useful in city traffic as well?
In my opinion, its actually way more useful in city driving. Don't get me wrong, I normally have it set as I'm getting onto the on ramp to the interstates and highways, but Its great in cities. Your speed is almost never constant in city driving.

I attached several pics of my car from when I picked it up at the dealership. You can see how it looks on the Melb. Red.
Attached Images

Sport Line, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Sport Auto Trans, Active Cruise Control, Heated Front Seats, Auto High Beams, Parking Assistant, Harmon Kardon
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Here are some additional pics of it in action from when I picked up the car.

The interior shot is to show you the additional buttons on the steering wheel to set the distance.

In all of my shots, you will notice that I keep it at the closest setting at all times.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #16
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Well done for posting pics! They give a real insight to what the ACC does and how. I love this forum; so much more useful than any dealer.

What do you make of the radar being so 'exposed'. Do you think it'll take a few good hits from stones and still work?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #17
giorgioarmani
Private
Rep
Drives: silver m sport 335i & 19s

Love my acc. would never get a car without it ever again. had it on a lexus in the past but the system would relent at 40 kph or below which sucks. in the bmw, like stated it stays on even takes you to a complete stop and then a go.

once you get used to it it works seamlessly. i prefer it on two lane conuntry roads where i may have a vehicle doing the speed limit and there is no chance to overtake. rather than get irritated at the guy ahead just hit the acc engage a speed and youll be keeping a clean distance with no foot pedal work at all. its awesome.

also like it where we have know speed camera areas. select the speed limit and good bye worrying about checking speed constantly.

Highway use i like the least becasue even at the minimum distance selected it keeps too far of a buffer zone for my liking, and it brakes too soon when someone merges into my lane. as a result i just take over then hit resume when the traffic is away.

another nuisnace is when a car merges out of your lane or takes a turn off your road. itll brake down really hard sometimes when youd rather just zip around them. cyclists are annoying aswell becasue it ll mistake them for an obstacle but then again cyclists are annoying full stop. what makes them believ they can ride through red lights,disobey any traffic rules in general, and then show the car the bird when we honr at them? all, without a lisence too lol ...rant over

all in all well worth the money for me
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
raceing86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger
Well done for posting pics! They give a real insight to what the ACC does and how. I love this forum; so much more useful than any dealer.

What do you make of the radar being so 'exposed'. Do you think it'll take a few good hits from stones and still work?
Yeah, it'll be fine. The close up pic I showed with the connected drive logo on it is actually just a plastic cover. The actual sensor is behind that cover.

Next time I have the chance, I'll try to video it in action, and post it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthuss
i drove a 328i with the ACC. i currently have an infiniti with this function and stop and go and its a lifesaver for my 150 mile daily commute.

at first it was a must have on my 335 order, but in the end i decided to get the m-sport instead since my new job would have a much closer commute.

it works perfectly. brings you to a stop just like my infiniti, but the nice part is that it will permanently hold the brake until you tap the gas to get going again. this might sound like no big deal, but my FX50s will only hold the brake at a stop for 2 seconds and then you need to put you foot on it. in stop and go, its a pain in the "you know what"

the only thing you need to watch for on the bmw is that it sits under the license plate in the front and covers part of the lower fascia. if the car is not dark grey or black, it sticks out like a sore thumb. kind of like a big tooth in the middle of the grin. on alpine white it looks terrible IMO.

check out post number "7" in this thread

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615805

i decided in the end that the M sport was the way to go and you cant get it with M sport in the US.
150 miles?????????? Explain.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I love this thread and this forum. Thanks for all the great information about ACC guys, I truly appreciate it. Million thanks to raceing86 for the pics too.

Apparently everybody loves their ACC, and it even takes into account cyclists! I did not even think about that. The only trouble apparently is the distance which you set, with people usually setting the distance to minimal, but apparently thinking that it's still too large a distance? I don't think it will bother me, because I always leave a good safety distance between me and the car ahead --I find most American drivers irresponsible in this respect. But then they are not the best drivers out there. Oh my I just found out the ultimate reason why I need ACC

Besides, I found out that ACC comes with the (semi) black panel display in the instrument cluster... something you can only get with the Nav or tech package. So part of the ACC steep pricetag goes into something I really wanted in the first place. I mean I do want the tech package, but honestly I'd rather get the ACC and BMW Assist+Bluetooth for the same price --and use my iPhone for navigation.

Seriously, isn't there even a case to be made that, for the money, ACC+bluetooth is a better value than just the tech package alone??

My only regret is that ACC does not come with the M-Sport package. That lovely steering wheel...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

If you add ACC you also get collision warning (even when the ACC isn't in use).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

oh cool... does that apply the brakes at all, or does collision warning just beep, or electroshock your butt?
Appreciate 0