F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Sport + Bilstein B8 Dampers or Bilstein B14
Extreme Powerhouse

11-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

H&R Sport + Bilstein B8 Dampers or Bilstein B14

Which of the two options would you guys suggest for an "14 F30 320d with 'bad road package' (the stock ground clearance is 158mm).

I'm thinking either to get the B14 or get the H&R Springs now, use the springs with the stock dampers and after a few months get the B8 Dampers. Will there be any issues with the H&R Sports with stock dampers ?

I don't wanna go extremely low. Want more of a classy look.

Waiting for your replies...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Presario
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 435 GC

I'd go with the B14 but it lowers the car quite a bit as the minimum drop is 1.5" F and 1.3" R. If being too low is an issue, the bilstein and HR sport combo is great. I would most definitely install both at the same time. Why pay for labor twice? Also the ride will be okay with the stock shocks but will be a bit bouncy and you'll wear out your stock dampeners much faster.
      11-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presario View Post
I'd go with the B14 but it lowers the car quite a bit as the minimum drop is 1.5" F and 1.3" R. If being too low is an issue, the bilstein and HR sport combo is great. I would most definitely install both at the same time. Why pay for labor twice? Also the ride will be okay with the stock shocks but will be a bit bouncy and you'll wear out your stock dampeners much faster.
I agree with Presario OP. Pay for the labor ONCE. I will end up paying for labor twice because I didn't consider the B8's until long after I had already lowered the car (..I dropped my car and purchased wheels within a few days of purchasing it). If the member who installed the rear shocks himself is able to help me, it'll cut the labor cost at EAS in half as they will only need to install the front struts.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion. Well in that case, I guess I'd go for H&R Sport + B8 Dampers as 1.5" which is the minimum for the B14 would be a bit too low for India.

The urban roads are good but the countryside scene is bad and I'll often do country side drives with around 4 people on board so getting the coilovers won't be wise I guess. The labour is fairly cheap and once I upgrade to B8s the stock dampers would be of no use and neither I'm going to get any resale for the same so how bout using the stock dampers with H&R Sport for 15-20k kms and then upgrading to B8s?

There's one question bothering me now, how would the scene be with 4 people + luggage on board on a countryside drive on H&R Sport on stock dampers ? What's should I expect in the worst case ?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. Well in that case, I guess I'd go for H&R Sport + B8 Dampers as 1.5" which is the minimum for the B14 would be a bit too low for India.

The urban roads are good but the countryside scene is bad and I'll often do country side drives with around 4 people on board so getting the coilovers won't be wise I guess. The labour is fairly cheap and once I upgrade to B8s the stock dampers would be of no use and neither I'm going to get any resale for the same so how bout using the stock dampers with H&R Sport for 15-20k kms and then upgrading to B8s?

There's one question bothering me now, how would the scene be with 4 people + luggage on board on a countryside drive on H&R Sport on stock dampers ? What's should I expect in the worst case ?
Expect a stiffer, yet compliant ride. Make no mistake about it, the Bilsteins will feel very different from your OEM shocks.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Expect a stiffer, yet compliant ride. Make no mistake about it, the Bilsteins will feel very different from your OEM shocks.
On a scale of 10, how would you put the H&R Sports with stock dampers and H&R with B8 in terms of ride comfort ? (Let's assume we are not considering performance or body roll here.)

Could there be any embarrassing moments over the bad roads with the H&Rs on stock dampers ?

As I mentioned above, the labour is fairly cheap here and since I'm not gonna get anything for my stock springs, I want them to wear out a little (let's say about 20k kms) and then upgrade to B8s.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Presario
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 435 GC

Hey Adi, upon rereading your post I realized I made an error. I thought you meant the HR coilovers and not the Bilstein coilovers. The min drop on the Bilstein is 1.2 inches. Don't know if that makes a huge difference from 1.5".

As for embarrassing moments over bad roads, I'd say most likely yes. If you hit a bump with a full car, you run the risk of bottoming out with stock shocks. I'd just got full Bilstein + HR spring combo from the start.
      11-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presario
Hey Adi, upon rereading your post I realized I made an error. I thought you meant the HR coilovers and not the Bilstein coilovers. The min drop on the Bilstein is 1.2 inches. Don't know if that makes a huge difference from 1.5".

As for embarrassing moments over bad roads, I'd say most likely yes. If you hit a bump with a full car, you run the risk of bottoming out with stock shocks. I'd just got full Bilstein + HR spring combo from the start.
^^^^This!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: shifting priorities for now...

Lightbulb MPerformance Suspension

Quote:
Which of the two options would you guys suggest for an "14 F30 320d with 'bad road package' (the stock ground clearance is 158mm).

I'm thinking either to get the B14 or get the H&R Springs now, use the springs with the stock dampers and after a few months get the B8 Dampers. Will there be any issues with the H&R Sports with stock dampers ?

Just curious, why not go with a whole package of Mperformance suspension instead? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the Mperformance suspension for cars without sport suspension came with everything such as shocks/dampers, bushings, red springs, swaybars, etc.
I'd imagine roads over in India are similar with here in Jakarta, city vicinities are fine but once in the urban areas things can get quite bumpy. the HR springs drop the car quite a bit so i'd think u need a more subtle drop, no?...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaleke
Quote:

Just curious, why not go with a whole package of Mperformance suspension instead? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the Mperformance suspension for cars without sport suspension came with everything such as shocks/dampers, bushings, red springs, swaybars, etc.
I'd imagine roads over in India are similar with here in Jakarta, city vicinities are fine but once in the urban areas things can get quite bumpy. the HR springs drop the car quite a bit so i'd think u need a more subtle drop, no?...
No sway bars are included.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:

Thanks once again Presario! Well the B14 is costing me around USD2500 inclusive of shipping and installation in India whereas the H&R Sport is for around USD500 and the B8s are coming around USD 1400 (all 4 shocks including installation). Won't the H&Rs + B8s (OR B6) will make a better package ? I ain't planning to lower the car more than 1.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaleke View Post
Quote:
No sway bars are included.
M Performance Suspension is not on offer in India. It's the only thing that's missing from their Performance accessories catalogue. And, H&R lowers around 1.2 all over so that won't be too low for India. My only dilemma now is to whether keep the stoke shocks for 15-20k kms or get the bilsteins right away.

PS: How would the Bilstein B6 be with the H&R Sports ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

M Performance Suspension is not on offer in India. It's the only thing that's missing from their Performance accessories catalogue. And, H&R lowers around 1.2 all over so that won't be too low for India. My only dilemma now is to whether keep the stoke shocks for 15-20k kms or get the bilsteins right away.

PS: How would the Bilstein B6 be with the H&R Sports ?
Get the Bilsteins right away, and make sure it's the B8 with the shortened stroke (..designed to be used with lowering springs).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Talking

Quote:
You know, that's exactly the same situation here in Indonesia. Even the MPerformance is not available on any of the official BMW Indonesia catalog (except for the 4 series but that's another story). So what most do here is to provide the authorized stealers their VIN numbers and search for the MPerformance products for specific vehicle, in this case, the F30, and voila... And yeap you have to purchase the parts through the stealers...
Some of us even go abroad to either Malaysia or Singapore or Thailand to purchase some of the performance parts or any other parts and even hand carry them back if needed be

Anyway, if that doesn't apply in India then HR+bilsteins are the way to go. Perhaps you even want to check out Eibach+bilsteins as well while you are at it..

Just curious, what are the differences between B6s, B8s and B14s?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

B6's are normal length, B8's are shorter stroke designed to be used with lowering springs and B14's are the coilovers I believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #15
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

B6s and B8s costs the same here whereas the B14 coilovers cost around $600 more than the H&R + B8 combo and I don't think investing in them would be worth it because under no circumstances will I lower the car more than 1.2"-1.3" than stock.

The reason that makes me consider getting the B6s or to retain the stock dampers is that RIDE QUALITY and HOW WELL THE CAR ABSORBS THE BUMPS after the H&R Sports is more important to me than performance. I'm afraid that the car will go tooo stiff with the B8s. I hope I'm not correct.

Last thing and probably the most important thing that I wanna ask for from the B8s users who have used H&R Sports with stock shocks as some point of time is;

- How does the ride over bumps and comfort level changes on a fully loaded car after installing the B8s ? (Let's leave out the performance aside totally)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #16
325smg
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 325i

You will probably regret after a month if u install the H&R sport spring with the stock dampers
      11-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
B6s and B8s costs the same here whereas the B14 coilovers cost around $600 more than the H&R + B8 combo and I don't think investing in them would be worth it because under no circumstances will I lower the car more than 1.2"-1.3" than stock.

The reason that makes me consider getting the B6s or to retain the stock dampers is that RIDE QUALITY and HOW WELL THE CAR ABSORBS THE BUMPS after the H&R Sports is more important to me than performance. I'm afraid that the car will go tooo stiff with the B8s. I hope I'm not correct.

Last thing and probably the most important thing that I wanna ask for from the B8s users who have used H&R Sports with stock shocks as some point of time is;

- How does the ride over bumps and comfort level changes on a fully loaded car after installing the B8s ? (Let's leave out the performance aside totally)
You're not listening man. The B6/B8 damping is about the same. The difference is that one is for a non-lowered vehicle while the other is designed for lowered vehicles. Get the B8 if you're lowering your car; the B6 if you have no plans to lower your car. The ride quality will be the same between the two.

The stock shocks are not mated well to the H&R's, that's why we're all changing to Bilstein's.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
B6's are normal length, B8's are shorter stroke designed to be used with lowering springs and B14's are the coilovers I believe.
Mucho Gracias Sedan!
Personally I'd go with B8+eibach if I were in adi's shoes looking for a mild drop... perhaps would resulting in a stiffer than the B8+HR combo...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Mucho Gracias Sedan!
Personally I'd go with B8+eibach if I were in adi's shoes looking for a mild drop... perhaps would resulting in a stiffer than the B8+HR combo...
No problem!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:

as what sedan was saying:
Quote:
Adi, as far as on how stiff the car would be; I don't have any experience with the B8+HR combo yet but based on my past experience in a w210 non sport model, it was definitely stiffer than the stock but not jarring or harsh which would dislocate my kidneys vs my lungs
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #21
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325smg View Post
You will probably regret after a month if u install the H&R sport spring with the stock dampers
Quote:
You're not listening man. The B6/B8 damping is about the same. The difference is that one is for a non-lowered vehicle while the other is designed for lowered vehicles. Get the B8 if you're lowering your car; the B6 if you have no plans to lower your car. The ride quality will be the same between the two.

The stock shocks are not mated well to the H&R's, that's why we're all changing to Bilstein's.
I'm listening to all of you guys' s advice and taking them seriously but it's just that I'm thinking too much because the Indian F30s comes with 158mm stock suspension (which is much higher than what you get in America/Europe). This, after lowering looks like the car you see in the picture below. The Indian F30 lowered on H&R Sports 'lookes' a bit different from the European/American H&R sports lowered F30 hence my dilemma was sparked up.
Name:  71415_10151711999387512_22458574_n.jpg
Views: 8988
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  15062_10151711998007512_865095111_n.jpg
Views: 8240
Size:  42.4 KB

Quote:
Mucho Gracias Sedan!
Quote:
as what sedan was saying:

Adi, as far as on how stiff the car would be; I don't have any experience with the B8+HR combo yet but based on my past experience in a w210 non sport model, it was definitely stiffer than the stock but not jarring or harsh which would dislocate my kidneys vs my lungs
Thanks Imaleke for your views. I'd have considered the Eibachs since you recommended em but I have already placed the order for H&R Sports (28878-2) the other day so.. & Mercs are more of comfort oriented unlike the Bimmer but I'd still take your word on the ride quality, haha! Cheers mate!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #22
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Good luck Adi and let us know how the combo works for you.. many here would be interested to know as well...
Appreciate 0