F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Waiting my 320d xDrive GT - February
GetBMWParts

01-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

Waiting my 320d xDrive GT - February

My GT... is due to arrive by 15th February, so I'm in the middle of that painful process of waiting...

You have been posting very nice photos here, I'm glad to see that the car looks so nice in different colours and configurations.

Some weeks ago I ordered the car without xenon lights (I thought there would be "angel eyes" also with halogen lamps, but only later did I discover that they come together only with xenon).

Also, I opted to Modern Line, with cloth/leather seats in oyster color - they looked nice in the website configuration, but I saw some photos and I'm not sure if they are so nice in real life.

I contacted the dealer and I'm still waiting for an answer about the possibility of changing the configuration by adding xenon and maybe full leather seats... Anyway, this is no big deal, I think I have chosen other nice features in my config:

machine:
320 GT diesel engine (184 PS) xDrive
Sport automatic transmission
Servotronic

style:
Color Alpine White
Modern Line
18" wheels turbine style
Cloth/leather seats oyster color / black cockpit

add-ons:
Panorama glass roof
Park Distance Control
Rear view camera
Cruise control with braking function
Navigation Professional
Real time traffic information
HiFi loudspeakers
Automatic air condition
Active protection
Anti-dazzle mirrors
Storage compartment package
Front seats heating
Sliding armrest

Before pulling the trigger, I saw many reviews and controversial opinions about the style and utility of the 3er GT. This will be my first BMW, and I decided for the GT not only because of the space (2 humans and 2 dogs), but also because of the height of the seats, its unique style (although I'm not a fan of hatchbacks) and comfort for traveling.

My garage is quite narrow and low (in fact, it is a car elevator!), which reduced my choices. I didn't want a small 1 series, the 3 sedan is too low (my wife and I prefer seating in a higher position). The 4 coupe is really beautiful, but too low and not so practical. I'm crazy about the Z4, but it would be only a toy, not a tool. X1, X3 etc. would not fit into the garage. The GT can come in and out, with a mere 1 inch in both sides of the mirrors...

I saw some reviews saying that the driving experience of the GT is not 100% as sharp as in the 3 sedan (actually, the benchmark). But as I'm not a professional driver, I think this will not really make such a diference to me...

Finally, I chose the 320d model because here in Austria taxes are not so high for this power/fuel consumpion and I will need to resale the car in a few years.

I will post photos as soon as I get the car.

I wish you all a nice 2014!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Fazerfahrer
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330d touring F31, Z4 35is E89

Garage List
Hi,

normally it should not be an issue to add the xenon at this stage. To my opinon you should choose the full set up including high beam assist and adaptive headlights. With this set up in a F31 I drive a car with the best lights ever in my live.

Attached an additonal link for you where you can spend some of your waiting time ;-) i know that it contains not the right engine, but the rest should be useful.

http://www.loaditup.de/files/799457_qbmhwbzguw.pdf

Regards from bavaria to austria.
      01-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Hayseed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 & 1988 M5

Waiting my 320d xDrive GT - February

BrasWien,
Your one inch on either side clearance - that is with mirrors folded in to the sides of the car?
Hayseed in NH USA
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
BrasWien
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazerfahrer View Post
Hi,

normally it should not be an issue to add the xenon at this stage. To my opinon you should choose the full set up including high beam assist and adaptive headlights. With this set up in a F31 I drive a car with the best lights ever in my live.

Attached an additonal link for you where you can spend some of your waiting time ;-) i know that it contains not the right engine, but the rest should be useful.

http://www.loaditup.de/files/799457_qbmhwbzguw.pdf

Regards from bavaria to austria.
Hi Fazerfahrer,

Unfortunately, the dealer told me today that there is no possibility of changing my order and add xenons anymore. So, problem solved!

I will now have plenty of time to carefully read the document you made available, thank you! German is not my first language, so I will also have the opportunity to practice reading a little bit.

Regards from Wien to Bavaria!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
BrasWien
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayseed View Post
BrasWien,
Your one inch on either side clearance - that is with mirrors folded in to the sides of the car?
Hayseed in NH USA
Hello, Hayseed,

Before placing the order, I took a test-drive GT from the dealer to the garage in order to make sure that it would fit in there (see pictures).

The problem is that there are two white walls at the very entrance of the garage (you might see them on the first picture, although it is not very clear). These are the narrower space I mentioned. There is about one inch of free space there with mirrors unfolded.

Inside the garage there is more lateral space. After trying to park a few times, my wife and I noticed that we could turn the car slightly to the right side after crossing the entrance walls, so that there would be more space for myself than you will see in the photos.

With folded mirrors there is more free space between the white walls. However, I noticed the width of the car at the back (near the rear wheels) is almost the same as the width of it in the front with unfolded mirrors.

I thus decided to order the package which includes electrically folding mirrors. I also added the parking distance control (PDC) and the rear camera, as there might be pedestrians or children walking behind the car. The PDC always screams because it is a too narrow space, but it has the advantage of showing in red the side of the car which is closer to the wall.

One of my neighbours, who shares an identical garage, has bought a 4 series coupe, and has a similar difficulty of access.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Fazerfahrer
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330d touring F31, Z4 35is E89

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrasWien View Post
Hi Fazerfahrer,

Unfortunately, the dealer told me today that there is no possibility of changing my order and add xenons anymore. So, problem solved!

I will now have plenty of time to carefully read the document you made available, thank you! German is not my first language, so I will also have the opportunity to practice reading a little bit.

Regards from Wien to Bavaria!
...regarding the xenon it is a pity, that there is no upgrade possible. I remember that my dealer said that there are possibilties to change details till two weeks in front of the start date of the built. Only exception should be if you like to change into parts of the individual program.

Sorry for the german text, but I expected that it should be not a problem for an austrian guy What is your native country / language?
      01-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
BrasWien
Private
Rep

Well, my dealer said that "As your ordered BMW has already completed production, a modification is regrettably no longer possible"...

In fact, I will drive mostly during daytime, so xenons will not make a huge difference. The GT I tested during a weekend in the city had xenon lights and I didn't see much difference from my previous car, which had halogen headlights. I suppose that in highways it will make a significant difference. I wanted them most just because they look much better (from outside). Maybe in my next BMW...

I am Brazilian and moved to Vienna some months ago. My native language is Portuguese. I've already studied German for 2 years before coming to Austria and I still have classes. Speaking is still difficult, hearing is ok when locals speak slow (the viennese dialect doesn't help) and I can read some texts without much trouble. So the text you sent me will be quite useful.

By the way, I ordered the car with the default language set to German.
Appreciate 0