F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Much more information. Really better???
Studio RSR

10-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Much more information. Really better???

The last time I ordered a custom built BMW was 1999. The process was simple: after negotiating a price and leaving a deposit, the dealer said it would take 2 - 3 months. I asked that he call me a week before it arrived so I could return my existing leased car. There was nothing to worry about; I simply got on with my life and the car came whenever it came. Now, I have a car on order and the only similarity is the reason for the special order - I wanted a manual transmission and nothing was available in a configuration I wanted. Now, I can tell that the car got into production 3 weeks ago and finished being built on Monday. Now, I can worry about whether it got loaded onto a ship today (Saturday) or whether it will get onto a ship next Friday or whenever. I can follow the ship's progress and maybe even watch the ship go through the Panama Canal on a webcam. Eventually, it will dock, clear customs and get moved north. I can follow the whole process, but it will still take the same amount of time. I have turned a low-stress process where I was pleasantly surprised when my new car arrived into a stressful process where I can worry about what has gone wrong at every step. It seem crazy, but I will still check back next week to see if it is onboard a ship.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
It only bothers you if you obsess over the whole thing. It'll get there when it gets there, and you can get periodic updates from the BMWUSA website (track your car's progress). Once it gets to the port, you have to wait for it to get on a truck to your dealership, so no point worrying about any of that other stuff.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

And even when they tell you it's coming, it doesn't...

I never checked online once. The dealership sent me periodic emails... then he told me it was going to be here in 1 week. So THEN I started waiting and planning... a month after that, I finally got it despite 4 or 5, "hoping by Tuesday..." emails/calls

I agree. It's better to not worry about it. If I hadn't gotten an email telling me my car was done in early August, I would have waited until early October without a problem. What killed me was "bro, get ready to pick you car TOMORROW! Wait, I mean Friday!! Well, I actually mean NEXT WEEK!! Or possibly NEXT MONTH..." that's what got to me
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #4
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Well, part of the experience of custom ordering I enjoy is following the progress and location of the car as it makes its way to Port Hueneme and the anticipation of going to pick up the car. Guess I'm weird but for me it's like anticipating Christmas morning when I was a kid, lol. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 03:21 AM   #5
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
The last time I ordered a custom built BMW was 1999. The process was simple: after negotiating a price and leaving a deposit, the dealer said it would take 2 - 3 months. I asked that he call me a week before it arrived so I could return my existing leased car. There was nothing to worry about; I simply got on with my life and the car came whenever it came. Now, I have a car on order and the only similarity is the reason for the special order - I wanted a manual transmission and nothing was available in a configuration I wanted. Now, I can tell that the car got into production 3 weeks ago and finished being built on Monday. Now, I can worry about whether it got loaded onto a ship today (Saturday) or whether it will get onto a ship next Friday or whenever. I can follow the ship's progress and maybe even watch the ship go through the Panama Canal on a webcam. Eventually, it will dock, clear customs and get moved north. I can follow the whole process, but it will still take the same amount of time. I have turned a low-stress process where I was pleasantly surprised when my new car arrived into a stressful process where I can worry about what has gone wrong at every step. It seem crazy, but I will still check back next week to see if it is onboard a ship.
Sooo ... whose fault is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

I agree, but don't let it get to you lol. When i ordered my 340i i felt the same way. I just had to think about other things while I waited. Ordered some mods, did some research on the car. the worry is worth it thought
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
If you don't want to know...don't ask. On the other hand, it was fun to observe and review the entire process from order to receipt. It was a fascinating learning experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Ok......go outside and play. You'll get called when dinner's ready

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
MMMCOOKIES55