F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Coming in Summer: 8 Speed Auto Launch Control, New xDrive Models, and More
ARMA SPEED

05-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #45
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Interesting, had no clue these were already available in US.
The HUD features are great, it's one of my favorite things on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #46
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

Any news about the idrive touch controller for MY2014? I am kind of hoping that comes with the other upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #47
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndyH- View Post
Any news about the idrive touch controller for MY2014? I am kind of hoping that comes with the other upgrades.
iDrive Touch system [demo video] is coming for 2014 models. It's already been spied on many 2014 models, including the 4 Series Gran Coupe, M235i, M5, and X5.

4 Series Gran Coupe: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775948
M235i: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829063
X5: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834188
M5: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821676
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #48
ShaneV78
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1338 View Post
This is too big a change I think, it's got to be software related.
Respectfully disagree... If you can explain how they will enable you to get the revs up to say 3-4K rpm with the tight torque converters they use now, then perhaps you know something I don't. It is more likely they will use something along the lines of the HCC clutch as a starting element and this is a simple change as it directly replaces the torque converter.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...d_clutch.shtml

This is the same concept the CLS63 AMG uses as a start-up element and it works pretty well in that application...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #49
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

I see there is no news on lighter cars, only more electronics to drive the car for you, a Sail mode that will surely help with turbo lag when you need the power responding quickly, and yet more stuff to look at on your Nav screen so you don't have to be involved in boring stuff like driving your car.
2014 sounds like a great year! At least we will get the new M3/4, wonder if that will come with the Sail mode, maybe an M-Sail Mode.
I do like the so called "Anticipation Assistant", might come in handy on the way to a blind date.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #50
martyl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

How is launch control relevant to street driving? It sounds like it more suited to those who track their cars. I know it sounds cool but when is someone really going to use this?
      05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #51
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED4Mjjl
I see there is no news on lighter cars, only more electronics to drive the car for you, a Sail mode that will surely help with turbo lag when you need the power responding quickly, and yet more stuff to look at on your Nav screen so you don't have to be involved in boring stuff like driving your car.
2014 sounds like a great year! At least we will get the new M3/4, wonder if that will come with the Sail mode, maybe an M-Sail Mode.
I do like the so called "Anticipation Assistant", might come in handy on the way to a blind date.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #52
ft1338
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED4Mjjl View Post
8=D
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #53
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

Guess what, the MY2014 price will increase again... Im glad that I have my 2013 bing built this week

Very soon the most basic 3 series will cost 40K, and you no longer will be able to live without their warranty, the more "new stuff" the more sh$&@(t you will have to fix down the road, all that stuff will take 2 years to get fully stable and the very first year of it will be terrible as the F30 were, as the 2007/08 335i were
      05-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #54
DJHess
DJ Hess
Rep
Drives: AW 535i M-Sport

I would be happy if they would just work with Apple to make my iPhone 5 function properly!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #55
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit View Post
Guess what, the MY2014 price will increase again... Im glad that I have my 2013 bing built this week

Very soon the most basic 3 series will cost 40K, and you no longer will be able to live without their warranty, the more "new stuff" the more sh$&@(t you will have to fix down the road, all that stuff will take 2 years to get fully stable and the very first year of it will be terrible as the F30 were, as the 2007/08 335i were
Can you provide a source where the 2014 models will increase in price? Most base model 320i 40k starting price?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #56
tayra
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, Sport 12

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
+1, thats why you gotta learn how to code!
Teach me please lol
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #57
phoenixrush
Rep
Drives: M135i

Does anyone know if it is software update?? It's killing me

I ask my dealer and he said that it will be avaible from 1 july production..
I wait for his call to know if it is software or hardware.

I hope BMW won't dare to put new thing in a 6-7 month old car ! (m135ix)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #58
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
Can you provide a source where the 2014 models will increase in price? Most base model 320i 40k starting price?
Of course I don't have that data... neither if I have information about the base price...

I'm just assuming as they add more tech in to the car the chances of price increase are big.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #59
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyl View Post
How is launch control relevant to street driving? It sounds like it more suited to those who track their cars. I know it sounds cool but when is someone really going to use this?
haha...all the more reason to never buy a demo car from a dealer
      05-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #60
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneV78 View Post
Respectfully disagree... If you can explain how they will enable you to get the revs up to say 3-4K rpm with the tight torque converters they use now, then perhaps you know something I don't. It is more likely they will use something along the lines of the HCC clutch as a starting element and this is a simple change as it directly replaces the torque converter.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...d_clutch.shtml

This is the same concept the CLS63 AMG uses as a start-up element and it works pretty well in that application...
I sort of agree with the other guy, why would they put the same hardware into a F30 that is in a top tier AMG car? IMO launch control only makes sense *in this segment* on a vehicle with a DCT or SMG where the clutch can be dumped at higher RPM's than normal. I'm thinking this is probably some software gimmick which salesman can use to impress customers.
      05-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #61
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Lets be glad that in BMWs opinion (the guys who make cars) launch control will be available with their transmission. I have a 2013 and missed out on the launch control but this is a good move, I would get it if I were in the market for the F30

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #62
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
@ people hoping there's gonna be a software update.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #63
ShaneV78
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I sort of agree with the other guy, why would they put the same hardware into a F30 that is in a top tier AMG car? IMO launch control only makes sense *in this segment* on a vehicle with a DCT or SMG where the clutch can be dumped at higher RPM's than normal. I'm thinking this is probably some software gimmick which salesman can use to impress customers.
Did you actually click on the link provided? I only mentioned the CLS to point out that as a concept, the HCC can handle a lot of power. It is a drop-in replacement for a typical torque converter and is made by the same people who already make the transmission... I would imagine the incremental cost will be negligible relative to the benefits.

One key advantage is that you can more precisely control the clutch engagement and thus create strategies that help overcome any residual turbo lag, a point specifically mentioned on the site.

I'm not saying that I know they will use the HCC but if they don't then they really are missing an opportunity to do something quite clever I think!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #64
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you actually click on the link provided? I only mentioned the CLS to point out that as a concept, the HCC can handle a lot of power. It is a drop-in replacement for a typical torque converter and is made by the same people who already make the transmission... I would imagine the incremental cost will be negligible relative to the benefits.

One key advantage is that you can more precisely control the clutch engagement and thus create strategies that help overcome any residual turbo lag, a point specifically mentioned on the site.

I'm not saying that I know they will use the HCC but if they don't then they really are missing an opportunity to do something quite clever I think!
Yup, I clicked on it and it looks interesting. But I'd think replacing the torque converter with this mechanism is a lot more than just "plug and play", also with respect to purchasing contracts and supply chain stuff. I don't think offering launch control is enough to warrant making a significant drivetrain modification mid-cycle to only provide an "enhancement feature", but that's just my guess.

Also, I bet turbo lag issue is less important on the N55, with it's twin-scroll setup and already impressive performance when mated to the ZF 8.
      05-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #65
ShaneV78
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Yup, I clicked on it and it looks interesting. But I'd think replacing the torque converter with this mechanism is a lot more than just "plug and play", also with respect to purchasing contracts and supply chain stuff. I don't think offering launch control is enough to warrant making a significant drivetrain modification mid-cycle to only provide an "enhancement feature", but that's just my guess.

Also, I bet turbo lag issue is less important on the N55, with it's twin-scroll setup and already impressive performance when mated to the ZF 8.
I would be inclined to agree with you if the reason for the change to the HCC was just for the launch control but my original comment (Page 2) was that the best reason to change to the HCC was to allow the engine to be completely disengaged from the transmission for the sailing function!

Having a controllable clutch that allows for a proper launch function is a happy side-effect of that change!

Porsche also offers a sailing function like this on some models (I'm not referring to the hybrids) but then only with PDK because it allows them to open both clutches to fully disengage the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #66
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would be inclined to agree with you if the reason for the change to the HCC was just for the launch control but my original comment (Page 2) was that the best reason to change to the HCC was to allow the engine to be completely disengaged from the transmission for the sailing function!

Having a controllable clutch that allows for a proper launch function is a happy side-effect of that change!

Porsche also offers a sailing function like this on some models (I'm not referring to the hybrids) but then only with PDK because it allows them to open both clutches to fully disengage the engine.
I haven't researched it fully, but my understanding is that the current ZF 8 has a clutch of sorts that allows the fly wheel and transmission to mechanically engage and spin at the same speed. I know for certain the AH3 has a modified ZF 8 with something like this and is able to "sail". It might simply be some software on the front end that interacts with the TCM to display some "sailing info" through the MMI.

I think overall changes to the drivetrain of this magnitude are done only on the full refresh, and possibly the LCI, but it's hard to justify the added cost of R&D/chassis support/tuning procedure/manufacturing for something that "isn't broke". Maybe Honda is the exception with their incredibly crappy 2012 Civic refresh.

I put it some technical info in the AH3 thread about it, lemme see if I can find it.

Edit - http://www.aachen-colloquium.com/pdf...riebel_bmw.pdf Seems like the AH3 uses a device very similar to what you proposed, although the purpose is different - more to do with interaction of engine and motor.