F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Audio HiFi - Lack of separation?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
FredRat
Rep
Drives: 2014 328XI

Audio HiFi - Lack of separation?

I have the HiFi system, with stock speakers and the BimmerTech amp w/ nelson's default tune.

Sound is much better than standard amp, but I find that there doesn't seem to be much audio separation between the left/right channels.

I'm used to hearing a more pronounced 'stereo' soundstage.

Is the tune blending it all towards the center channel, is that just a preference of how the amp was tuned?

Others hear this too? Is there a tune more appropriate or should I just try tuning down or off the volume of the center channel?

Thanks all for any advice
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

hey mate how would you rate the bimmertech amp? good upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
FredRat
Rep
Drives: 2014 328XI

Talking Never mind, all is fine

I wanted to follow up so there's no confusion or misgiving re this AMP.

Short Story:
I had the inputs on the AMP all screwed up, left was ok, right was in the back seat, etc, and that totally screwed up the stereo imaging.
Once that was fixed, it all sounds great.
No misgiving re the AMP, highly recommend.

Longer Story:
In case someone else has issues. here's what I think happened.
I pulled down tune files from this forum, and I think I must have made a minor edit to them while away from the car in Demo mode, and then loaded them into the car. In demo mode, the inputs are different than what the car actually has and I think there's some kind of mapping that happens. It doesn't really make sense to me, but this is what I think happened.
To fix things, all I had to do, was redownload the tune file and make any necessary changes while connected to the AMP.
One other comment was that I did change the mapping of input to outputs, and treated the under seat subs as being directional (unlike normal subs) and thus sent only the left front to the left sub, similarly on the right. So far, I'm happy with this setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
valley_nomad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRat View Post
I ...
One other comment was that I did change the mapping of input to outputs, and treated the under seat subs as being directional (unlike normal subs) and thus sent only the left front to the left sub, similarly on the right...
The traditional sub config makes sure that both sub channels always output the low frequency notes evenly with a total max of their limits sum although yours may avoid some undesired cancellation and/or distortion...
Appreciate 0