F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lane change blockers
ARMA SPEED

04-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
ft1338
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Talking Lane change blockers

Had a crack up moment this morning. Was driving to work all smooth and steady on a 2 lane state road when I had to change lanes to the left like pretty much every day. It was a slow speed situation maybe 30 mph or something. Half a car length in front, 1.5 car length behind, so, time to signal, 3 blinks or so and I start merging slowly and steadily.

Guess what happens next, the douchebag behind in the loaded-up late-model Jeep Grand Cherokee decides that this merge was not to his liking, SPEEDS up to my left rear corner, swerves into the left shoulder so he could actually pass me and deny the lane change. At this point I had no other choice but swerve away to avoid a collision and let him go. Didn't even horn or flip my finger, I'm trying to be above that, despite the urge to obliterate him with a rocket launcher.

Actually at this point the situation was so ridiculous I couldn't do anything but laugh at the balding 50 year old mid-manager looking guy driving the Jeep. Unbelievable how some seemingly adult people would regress back into child stage behind the wheel.

I have no idea what set him off to be very honest. I wasn't even driving a BMW so it's not a case of BMW hate. Actually with the junker I was driving I wouldn't even have cared if he had rear-ended me. It would have served him very well. But I wonder: in such cases would he be considered fully at fault? The damage would have been in my rear left side area. I would assume so but you never know the stunt insurance companies pull sometimes.

Last edited by ft1338; 04-04-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1338 View Post
Had a crack up moment this morning. Was driving to work all smooth and steady on a 2 lane state road when I had to change lanes to the left like pretty much every day. It was a slow speed situation maybe 30 mph or something. Half a car length in front, 1.5 car length behind, so, time to signal, 3 blinks or so and I start merging slowly and steadily.

Guess what happens next, the douchebag behind in the loaded-up late-model Jeep Grand Cherokee decides that this merge was not to his liking, SPEEDS up to my left rear corner, swerves into the left shoulder so he could actually pass me and deny the lane change. At this point I had no other choice but swerve away to avoid a collision and let him go. Didn't even horn or flip my finger, I'm trying to be above that, despite the urge to obliterate him with a rocket launcher.

Actually at this point the situation was so ridiculous I couldn't do anything but laugh at the balding 50 year old mid-manager looking guy driving the Jeep. Unbelievable how some seemigly adult people would regress back into child stage behind the wheel.

I have no idea what set him off to be very honest. I wasn't even driving a BMW so it's not a case of BMW hate. Actually with the junker I was driving I wouldn't even have cared if he had rear-ended me. It would have served him very well. But I wonder: in such cases would he be considered fully at fault? The damage would have been in my rear left side area. I would assume so but you never know the stunt insurance companies pull sometimes.
As Per AllAboutCarAccidents.com
http://www.all-about-car-accidents.c...ront-car-fault

I've had my share of run-ins with totally moronic, rage ridden, envious, poor excuse for human beings (the list continues) drivers. I just back off from them and keep calm. God knows what other madness lurks around in that demented mind of theirs. Last thing we need is a news headline reading "driver ran off road and shot in head".
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian

People like that seem to me an excellent bet to concoct a totally fabricated story to prove it was all your fault, leading to police, arguments and lawyers. You'll be late to work.
      04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

The few times I've seen someone speed up as I try to lane change, I just keep moving over if there's room. If they want to run into me, that's their problem. Get in line, bucko.

Sounds like he was over on the shoulder. Works for me, he can stay on the shoulder and try to find a way to merge back to the right.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
bthuss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i - Alpine White

must be a jeep thing. 2 weeks ago i was approaching a toll booth and there are lanes marked all the way through the toll, but they shift one lane when you get close. as i am just following the marked road path and shifting left, the buy behind me just goes straight (i.e.. he switches lanes into mine with no signal or care). then he goes bananas like i did something wrong and flys around me and stats jamming on his brakes and giving me the finger. so i guess that driving 100% correctly is not what this guy likes
      04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
ft1338
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

The guy had a "Save the Wildlife" plate, do you think he was looking out for his own kind?

Seriously tho, is there a kind of police hotline to report dangerous driving? I would think everyone would be calling about something or another so it would not be very efficient.

Actually I had this idea a couple of times, wouldn't it be nice to have one of those detachable police flashing light that they used to have in 80's TV series that they stuck to the roof through the window? I can imagine the asshole's face when I pull out my light and get him to pull over

Last edited by ft1338; 04-04-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

I noticed the same about Jeep drivers, lots of assholes among them.

Tinted windows help a lot in these kind of situations. Not many will mess with a car where they can't see who's inside.