F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > ECU flash - questions
Studio RSR

05-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #89
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
I've been having issues with printing for since 3.52.xx.
The new programming lines include all the lines needed for E-Series possibly the debug lines fix some of the issues with E-Series coding, since most of that hadn't been thoroughly tested in 3.54.xx. Looks like Beemerboy88 is including the E-series programming in his newest release, possibly with new codes now that it's been tested more.
I may put an older ISTA on the VM as well and have its DB files folder symlinked to the other ISTA directory for the purpose of printing to PDFs.

Fortunately the ISTAs aren't space-hungry. The DBs and PSdzdata files are.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #90
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Lol. I know storage space has become an issue for me as well. I run ISTA natively on my Win10 ultra book and keep a backup of the previous version + DBs and psdzdata on a little Samsung USB3.0 500gb external SSD.

I used to think the BMW software footprint was big. Then when I started down the path of Merc coding and diagnostics I realized BMW is a breeze compared to Xentry and the WIS DBs. By orders of magnitude lol. Needed to spring for a LaCie USB 3.0 6TB RAID storage device just to start downloading everything I need. My workstation I use for virtualization being out of commission for maintenance hasn't been helping the issue either. So much to do, so much to do.
Have you been able to code Mercedes? I was trying to figure this out a while back and asked around and it did not seem possible.
      05-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #91
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens
Quote:
Lol. I know storage space has become an issue for me as well. I run ISTA natively on my Win10 ultra book and keep a backup of the previous version + DBs and psdzdata on a little Samsung USB3.0 500gb external SSD.

I used to think the BMW software footprint was big. Then when I started down the path of Merc coding and diagnostics I realized BMW is a breeze compared to Xentry and the WIS DBs. By orders of magnitude lol. Needed to spring for a LaCie USB 3.0 6TB RAID storage device just to start downloading everything I need. My workstation I use for virtualization being out of commission for maintenance hasn't been helping the issue either. So much to do, so much to do.
Have you been able to code Mercedes? I was trying to figure this out a while back and asked around and it did not seem possible.
Still working on that but I've had so many other things on my plate Merc coding and diagnostics have fallen by the wayside.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #92
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthrea...8225#pid158225

Sounds like someone else thinks it's because ICOM is required. ENET will not work.
yup, doesnt work with Enet, I tried countless times, mentioned in the first thread trying to get ISTA/D programming working ! http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=12734
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #93
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
The new programming lines include all the lines needed for E-Series possibly the debug lines fix some of the issues with E-Series coding, since most of that hadn't been thoroughly tested in 3.54.xx. Looks like Beemerboy88 is including the E-series programming in his newest release, possibly with new codes now that it's been tested more.
Funny I have no issues printing with 3.55.11 V2, I use foxit pdf reader driver, and my .config doesnt have any of the E-series programming!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #94
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wish I had another VM at work to check if these lines with 3.55.11 are consistent other versions...

Code:
    <!-- OperationalMode -->
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.OperationalMode" value="ISTA_PLUS" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.ISTAGUI.NewGUIActive" value="true" />
    <add key="StylesheetsImageLinkFixed" value="true" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.RheingoldSessionController.Logic.TransferECUKomViaFASTA" value="true" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.ISTAGUI.EnableAIRResearch" value="true" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.ILeanActive" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PUKActive" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PUKLoadSaveActive" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.IstaNFPackageFilter" value="ISTA_" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.OnlineUpdate.NewPackageStructure" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.ISTAGUI.Pages.StartPage.ShowDisclaimer" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PrintingType" value="DIALOG" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PrintingType" value="both"/>
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PrintingXpsPath" value="..\..\..\Print" />
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #95
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Wish I had another VM at work to check if these lines with 3.55.11 are consistent other versions...

Code:
    <!-- OperationalMode -->
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.OperationalMode" value="ISTA_PLUS" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.ISTAGUI.NewGUIActive" value="true" />
    <add key="StylesheetsImageLinkFixed" value="true" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.RheingoldSessionController.Logic.TransferECUKomViaFASTA" value="true" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.ISTAGUI.EnableAIRResearch" value="true" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.ILeanActive" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PUKActive" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PUKLoadSaveActive" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.IstaNFPackageFilter" value="ISTA_" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.OnlineUpdate.NewPackageStructure" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.ISTAGUI.Pages.StartPage.ShowDisclaimer" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PrintingType" value="DIALOG" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PrintingType" value="both"/>
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.CoreFramework.PrintingXpsPath" value="..\..\..\Print" />

I played around with it but it may be simply use the default system printer. Once I changed it from Microsoft XPS (which kept opening OneNote) back to Adobe PDF (I have Acrobat X Pro installed in the VM) it now prints to PDF fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #96
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm probably going to invest in a Schumacher INC-700A down the road.

Out of curiosity, anyone know of any cars that require more than 70 amps for flash programming? Want to make sure my eventual purchase is as future proof as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #97
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816
I'm probably going to invest in a Schumacher INC-700A down the road.

Out of curiosity, anyone know of any cars that require more than 70 amps for flash programming? Want to make sure my eventual purchase is as future proof as possible.
I think that's as good as it gets for that price range! The required amps depend on the number and type of ECUs, so hard to predict if this will be future proof but one of the best out there. If if this is for your own usage then you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #98
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Received my ICOM yesterday. Tested it out today.

After setting the VM OS's IPV4 address and submask, it worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #99
dmayo305
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

cryptocar Any chance you would PM the link to the ISTA ver you're using, as well as the latest full PSdZData? I'm considering an attempt at ECU flashing, but haven't tried using ISTA yet, just Esys.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #100
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayo305 View Post
cryptocar Any chance you would PM the link to the ISTA ver you're using, as well as the latest full PSdZData? I'm considering an attempt at ECU flashing, but haven't tried using ISTA yet, just Esys.
PM sent
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #101
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

Great discussion, detailed and interesting, I read the thread just for fun. 1 thing I am missing - why do you people do ECU flash?
As I understand , flash programming, is simply replacing executable code in the ECU to another (newer) version. But why? Is current software buggy? More functions added in new version?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #102
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ed View Post
Great discussion, detailed and interesting, I read the thread just for fun. 1 thing I am missing - why do you people do ECU flash?
As I understand , flash programming, is simply replacing executable code in the ECU to another (newer) version. But why? Is current software buggy? More functions added in new version?
Thanks
Yes and yes, although the details are sketchy as to what "bugs" were fixed or what new enhancements were introduced !
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #103
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Yes and yes, although the details are sketchy as to what "bugs" were fixed or what new enhancements were introduced !
That is exactly the point of my question.
I am computer engineer myself, upgrades and patching on different levels is my bread and butter. But I do it for 3 major reasons:
- supportability
- new features
- fixing bug

Bugs: I have not seen a single description of any bug for DME let's say In several programming threads I read thru.
New features: again, with DME flush, I have not seen anywhere what improvements it would do.
Supportability: not a single note anywhere that dealer would say "You have old DME flash, we are not gonna change your tires" or something like that.

If anyone can explain the value of programming, I would appreciate that.

Last edited by F30ed; 11-13-2016 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #104
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
@F30ed , you may want to visit other forums like the F80 where you will see mostly user reports of potentially perceived improvement or fixes. All this based on subjective feedback from fellow users. To date, all psdZdata released and available to us have no accompanying release notes and doubt that will ever change. It is only BMW that knows exactly what changed.

Thus said, some people flash different ECUs for various other purposes, such as retrofitting modules not originally in their car's, flashing software for transmission designed for the GTS onto non-GTS, ... the list goes on... and it is fun!
Appreciate 2
Almaretto2374.00
cryptocar497.00
      10-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #105
dargorbr
Brazil
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

cryptocar
can you send me the link for the ista version you're using?
Appreciate 0