F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lease End & Tires
ARMA SPEED

10-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #23
Monaco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jaguar XF Portfolio Sport

Since my lease-end is fast approaching, I've been searching for some used tires with enough tread life left to satisfy the end of lease inspection. I've been able to find the OEM run flats for a reasonable price, but many of the used tires I see claim to have been patched.

Am I OK to put these on before turning in the car, or will the lease inspection reveal patched tires and tell me I need to pony up for new rubber (only asking because my dealer tells me that BMW will not patch run flats). Last thing I want to do is to buy two used tires and then still have to come out of pocket for new tires in the end.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #24
Monaco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Bump for any ideas
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 04:07 AM   #25
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Patching a run flat isn't necessarily bad, but you run the risk of buying a tire which was driven on its sidewalls... In which case, it should have been replaced.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...es-OK-to-Patch
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #26
Monaco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Patching a run flat isn't necessarily bad, but you run the risk of buying a tire which was driven on its sidewalls... In which case, it should have been replaced.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...es-OK-to-Patch
I'm not worried about it from a reliability standpoint. My question was are the patches generally noticeable and if so, is that going to be a problem at time of lease disposition?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #27
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

I highly doubt the inspections are meticulous enough to detect a tire patch. Even if they were, I'd be surprised if the lease return requirements prohibit any patched run-flats. But I suppose there's an ethical issue here; how would you feel purchasing a CPO vehicle and then finding out its run-flat tire was run dry and potentially damaged?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #28
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I highly doubt the inspections are meticulous enough to detect a tire patch. Even if they were, I'd be surprised if the lease return requirements prohibit any patched run-flats. But I suppose there's an ethical issue here; how would you feel purchasing a CPO vehicle and then finding out its run-flat tire was run dry and potentially damaged?
I feel like that I'd go back to BMW and make them replace them. I don't have my CPO checklist handy, but I'd be surprised if they are allowed to sell it that way (and there's no guaranty that every off lease vehicle is CPO worthy). BMW can't just take it back and put a "For Sale" sign on it--they need to put it in a condition to turn around and sell it (like detailing it).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #29
DCDavid
Rep
Drives: '15 335i

If you don't use RFTs and your car doesn't have a spare tire, what's the plan if you get a flat?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #30
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDavid View Post
If you don't use RFTs and your car doesn't have a spare tire, what's the plan if you get a flat?
The car comes with a small patch kit/air compressor, but when taking delivery (at PCD), I was advised that it's hard to use and makes a mess, and to just call the 800 number.
      12-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #31
DCDavid
Rep
Drives: '15 335i

I want non-RFTs also and I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to do it because I lease as well. I like the idea of running the non-RFTs until I have to return it and then puting the RFTs back on at lease end.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #32
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDavid
I want non-RFTs also and I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to do it because I lease as well. I like the idea of running the non-RFTs until I have to return it and then puting the RFTs back on at lease end.
You can purchase a high quality Slime Tire inflator to stick in the trunk bin for maybe $30.

Most quality tires don't blow out unless they are old with low tread; they just go flat. Even with a screw in the regular performance tire, you can inflate it and usually make it home ok.

For those times when the leak is fast, you can also buy a DynaPlug kit for about $40 to plug whatever yourself.

Always remember that the SOS button in the car is your friend. BMW connect will send help if you're in a really bad spot.

The risk pales to the good times on non run-flats.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #33
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
AAA
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #34
1flossedm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

When I turned my lease in they never checked for patches, only tread depth which one tire got banged on but they "TIM"'d it whatever the hell that means and didn't cost me anything,
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #35
brianns929
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Competition PKG

i returned my 2013 335 with 3patched tires, 2 rims w/ huge scratches, and 1 badly bent rim(inner side) and they didnt charge for a penny lol

but i took care of the minor scratches and even detailed the car the day before the preinspection and the inspector was pleased that i did prepare for the inspection.

no charge at the preinspection and still no charge after the return
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #36
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A lot of people on these forums seem to think that flats are rare, and that's what they have roadside assistance for anyway. I would prefer a donut spare, but I was willing to take a chance with RFTs. No way I'd drive around with go-flats and no spare. I've had too many pothole-shredded tires to be at the mercy of where some tow truck driver can drop me, and limited by the passenger capacity of the cab of his truck. Others here are more willing to take that risk.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #37
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Most quality tires don't blow out unless they are old with low tread; they just go flat. Even with a screw in the regular performance tire, you can inflate it and usually make it home ok.
It's only one instance, but I hit a pothole one night 2 years ago that took out 2 (front and rear) 3 month old Michelins; damn decorative fake cobblestone street in Philly was coming apart in the winter--never saw it coming. I was very thankful for Costco's included road hazard warranty--2 new tires cost me $28. Spare didn't help that night...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #38
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
It's only one instance, but I hit a pothole one night 2 years ago that took out 2 (front and rear) 3 month old Michelins; damn decorative fake cobblestone street in Philly was coming apart in the winter--never saw it coming. I was very thankful for Costco's included road hazard warranty--2 new tires cost me $28. Spare didn't help that night...
That's one serious pothole!

I may also be taking for granted that I'm in the Deep South where winter weather doesn't exactly kill the roads; sinkholes are more common here but a spare won't help with the car in a hole.

I dodge potholes regularly due to road neglect, but usually they won't pop tires. For travel, you can always carry a can of fix a flat.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #39
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's one serious pothole!

I may also be taking for granted that I'm in the Deep South where winter weather doesn't exactly kill the roads; sinkholes are more common here but a spare won't help with the car in a hole.

I dodge potholes regularly due to road neglect, but usually they won't pop tires. For travel, you can always carry a can of fix a flat.
Yeah--the past 2 winters have been terrible for the roads here. 2 years ago, the counties and state did a less than half-assed job fixing the potholes, and all of them re-formed in the same places (and more and worse) last winter. It's been pretty mild here so far this winter, but I'm keeping an eye out on roads I travel frequently where it's clear the potholes are going to form...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #40
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
When you replaced your tires before, was the nail in the tread or sidewall? If tread, you should have just had it repaired for ~$25 instead of replacing both tires for $600. I've had several tires repaired (RFT and non-RFT), and never had a problem with any of them. Something to keep in mind next time (BMW dealers will try to convince you to get new tires; go to an independent tire shop for the repair).

For lease return, just buy some used RFT tires with 6/32 tread or so.
+1

Best option. Just make sure it's 6/32 across the whole tire.
Appreciate 0