F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Anyway to activate Siri w/ the steering wheel control?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #23
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Anyway to code this for vehicles prior to MY2014?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #24
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryX View Post
Anyway to code this for vehicles prior to MY2014?
You need the NBT Nav for this to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #25
Fenster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
What do you mean? Other's here have said that siri stays on listening for further prompts. As for Siri being useless, I don't think you are using it right as it does anything you could want, at least for me.
Not sure how long it stays on, but certainly not indefinitely, which is good --- at some point you want your music to come back on.

I don't use Siri a lot but when I do she works great. Watching Super Bowl now and wife (with her iPad in her hands) asked me how old Bruno Mars is. I said I didn't know but I was pretty sure Siri would. And she did (28).
      02-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #26
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post
Siri only works for the first command them goes off to be her usual useless self.
What do you mean? Other's here have said that siri stays on listening for further prompts. As for Siri being useless, I don't think you are using it right as it does anything you could want, at least for me.
Maybe Siri doesn't like me because my daughters torture her. Haven't found her useful in 2 + years of iPhone usage. She's not very bright and any type of dialect confuses her. I only tried what was suggested in this post and she continued to disappoint. Can she be fired?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #27
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You need the NBT Nav for this to work.
What kind of code do we need for Siri to work with the steering wheel button if we have NBT retrofitted?
Thanks.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #28
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
What kind of code do we need for Siri to work with the steering wheel button if we have NBT retrofitted?
Thanks.
Activates Siri Eyes-Free Button (Hold down voice recognition button)

HU_NBT 3003
CE_DEVICE_SPEECH_RECONGNITION = aktiv
Appreciate 2
jondaman157.50
      05-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #29
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Activates Siri Eyes-Free Button (Hold down voice recognition button)

HU_NBT 3003
CE_DEVICE_SPEECH_RECONGNITION = aktiv
SWEET! Ordering a NBT kit as soon as I am done with my M-wheel retrofit ;D.
Thanks for the help!

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #30
marcospoffo
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 320 F30 - 2013

I'm thinking I need to change cars with NBT.

For the two functions that desire "video usb" and "Siri free" does not exist in CIC
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #31
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Dumb question: what does "NBT" mean? I see it referenced all the time and there isn't a glossary
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #32
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
Dumb question: what does "NBT" mean? I see it referenced all the time and there isn't a glossary
It's the most current version of the ProNav.

Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #33
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster
Quote:
It's the most current version of the ProNav.

Thanks!

What's the abbreviation people use to distinguish NBT from NBT + "enhanced Bluetooth"?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #34
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

What's the abbreviation people use to distinguish NBT from NBT + "enhanced Bluetooth"?
Don't think there is a term for it. A lot of people refer to enhanced bluetooth as EBT.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #35
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

Don't think there is a term for it. A lot of people refer to enhanced bluetooth as EBT.
NBT is the overall system. Enhanced Bluetooth is one of its many features.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #36
BXL4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

NBT is the overall system. Enhanced Bluetooth is one of its many features.
Just to flesh out the availability, on my no-nav 2015 328i, I can call for Siri via the steering wheel button.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #37
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Alternatively as I don't have a Combox, I simply enabled the "hey siri!" voice activation when my iPhone is plugged in to the charger.

It works perfectly!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #38
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
Alternatively as I don't have a Combox, I simply enabled the "hey siri!" voice activation when my iPhone is plugged in to the charger.

It works perfectly!
LOL, I was just going to suggest this as a theory! I've never tried it in the car, but I know when it's plugged in (charging) you can enable the "Hey Siri" feature on your phone. I figured if it works with the A/C adapter, there shouldn't be any reason it won't work while charging in the car! 100% hands free!!!
      05-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #39
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXL4 View Post
Just to flesh out the availability, on my no-nav 2015 328i, I can call for Siri via the steering wheel button.
You prob because you have the HU_ENTRYNAV (but without an FSC map code), I believe it's based off the NBT.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #40
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport (DELIVERED!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXL4 View Post
I'm about to order a 340i without nav, and this is one question I've gotten conflicting answers on, and it's good to hear Siri works on yours without nav! Do you have enhanced Bluetooth, or just the standard Bluetooth audio?

I don't plan on getting nav or enhanced bluetooth(6NS), I'm going to stick with the standard 6NH to interact with Siri on my iPhone.

Last edited by closhedbb; 06-02-2015 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #41
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
I have the standard Bluetooth telephone, no enhanced Bluetooth, and no navigation. Siri works thru the audio system in my car, but since my "Voice Control" button is not active, I have to manually hold down the home button on my iPhone. If your phone is connected to the charger in the car, you can enable the "Hey Siri" feature on your phone so that you can bring her up completely hands free.

As far as how long she will "listen" to your commands, it depends on what you're asking her. For example, if you receive a message, you can bring her up and say, "Read my last text message" (or something along those lines). She'll read the message to you and then ask if you'd like to reply. After you reply using your voice, she'll repeat it back to you and ask if you'd like to send the message. If it doesn't sound right, you can say "no", and she'll ask if you want to edit the message, etc.

Another example is if you just ask her to play a song by name, she'll play the song and shut up, no further prompts!
      06-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #42
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport (DELIVERED!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
I have the standard Bluetooth telephone, no enhanced Bluetooth, and no navigation. Siri works thru the audio system in my car, but since my "Voice Control" button is not active, I have to manually hold down the home button on my iPhone. If your phone is connected to the charger in the car, you can enable the "Hey Siri" feature on your phone so that you can bring her up completely hands free.

As far as how long she will "listen" to your commands, it depends on what you're asking her. For example, if you receive a message, you can bring her up and say, "Read my last text message" (or something along those lines). She'll read the message to you and then ask if you'd like to reply. After you reply using your voice, she'll repeat it back to you and ask if you'd like to send the message. If it doesn't sound right, you can say "no", and she'll ask if you want to edit the message, etc.

Another example is if you just ask her to play a song by name, she'll play the song and shut up, no further prompts!
I believe since BXL4 has a 2015 Siri activation works through the button even if he doesn't have nav or voice activation of the iDrive. 6NH, according to BMW, includes Siri activation, and comes standard. Voice activation of iDrive requires 6NS, which comes with EBT or Nav/Tech. According to paperwork I've read, I'm pretty sure this is the case, but I have been unable to verify this hands-on, and have gotten conflicting reports from others.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 03:16 AM   #43
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

I have a work around which might help some people and works great for me. I don't have an iphone, so no siri, but the concept of voice assistance is probably the same for most phones.

In my case I have a blackberry (a modern one) and I noticed that after I bluetooth pair the phone and my contacts sync, the very first contact in my list is #Assistant. And its phone number is a fake phone number that the phone uses to call up voice assist over bluetooth.

Anyway, I just programmed this contact in my phonebook to one of the short cut keys on the stereo. (CIC in my case). It works great and I use it all the time. I press button #1 and I get my voice assistant.

I can only assume the iphone and android also expose their voice assistant in a similar way. It makes sense since it's a cheap work around to be able to access the voice assistant over bluetooth. It's basically a contact that dials to an internal component instead of an external phone number. An exploit of the phonebook if you will.
Appreciate 0