F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > South Africa order experiences?
GetBMWParts

08-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
kerz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 50i

South Africa order experiences?

Curious about others who have had orders go to SA. I'm in SF, and trying to determine how to calculate my level of excitement. My car is currently "Waiting to be released to the carrier". I assume this means I'm waiting for a boat now. Questions for folks who have come from SA: do they only use W&W from there, or is there a chance it rides on some other line? Is the 45 day journey I've seen elsewhere accurate for a west coast dealer? Are the boats really only leaving roughly monthly from SA? Any other info or things to waste time on while I wait?

If it's only W&W, and it's a 45 day ride, the next boat seems to not leave until the end of Sept. at this point which puts me into November for a car that's on the dock now. Rather a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Pellik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

back out now while you still can. If its not leaving until the end of Sept. your not going to take delivery most likely until the end of Nov. early December. I read somewhere that SA ordered cars should only be used for dealer inventory because they take so long to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Fetko
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i sport line

I have an SA build waiting at the port in Durban right now*. Waiting to be released to carrier is the status for waiting for it to be released to the transportation from the plant to the port. Once there, it will be "your car is at the port awaiting a shipping vessel. There is no shipping information available at this time." It took about a week to 10 days to make it to the port.

From what I've read, there are other lines. Check www.molroro.com since they have ships running from SA to Germany every two weeks. Or go here: http://ports.co.za/shipmovements/durban/articles.php to get daily updates of what is in the car terminal.

After waiting for an allocation for a couple months with no success, my dealer eventually traded for an SA allocation. They could have gotten a German one, but it would have been 5 weeks later. Hopefully we chose wisely...

*The Serenity Ace departed for Bremerhaven a couple days ago. Hopefully I'm on it and BMWNA's status hasn't updated yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

My car's production date was 06/02 at the Rosslyn plant and is supposed to arrive at the dealer tomorrow or Saturday (West Coast delivered). Mine was not on a W&W owned vessel and did not come through the Port Hueneme port, instead unloaded at Long Beach, then trucked up to the Oxnard VPC, then loaded onto a semi headed to PHX.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Sentellg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Imperia Blu/Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerz View Post
Curious about others who have had orders go to SA. I'm in SF, and trying to determine how to calculate my level of excitement. My car is currently "Waiting to be released to the carrier". I assume this means I'm waiting for a boat now. Questions for folks who have come from SA: do they only use W&W from there, or is there a chance it rides on some other line? Is the 45 day journey I've seen elsewhere accurate for a west coast dealer? Are the boats really only leaving roughly monthly from SA? Any other info or things to waste time on while I wait?

If it's only W&W, and it's a 45 day ride, the next boat seems to not leave until the end of Sept. at this point which puts me into November for a car that's on the dock now. Rather a bummer.
I am probably getting my car at end of week. I put order in 3/31. Car was finished early days of June. My car finally shipped out of Durban around July 26. My carrier was MOL (Miraculous Ace). If it had gone W&W it would have taken an extra week. SA cars can sit in port for a long time.

1992 E36 325i Lagun Green, Sold
2009 E90 335i Montego Blu/Black/Alum/Premium, CWP, Steptronic, iDrive, iPod
2012 F30 335i Imperial Blu/Black Premium CWP IDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
kerz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sigh, it looks like I'm stuck in 'Released to Carrier' right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
kerz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Woop, finally on a boat. I'm on the Genuine Ace!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentellg View Post
I am probably getting my car at end of week. I put order in 3/31. Car was finished early days of June. My car finally shipped out of Durban around July 26. My carrier was MOL (Miraculous Ace). If it had gone W&W it would have taken an extra week. SA cars can sit in port for a long time.

WOW, you ordered 3/31 and still have not gotten your car?!..that's insane!...when all of you who have SA cars placed your order did you know about cars being built there?... I know when I placed my order at the end of July I specifically told my CA that I want a German build, not SA (because of how long an SA build would take)..and he made it happen, so I'm wondering if you all had that option as well?... I cannot imagine myself waiting as long as you have, damn thats crazy! more power to you man!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
WOW, you ordered 3/31 and still have not gotten your car?!..that's insane!...when all of you who have SA cars placed your order did you know about cars being built there?... I know when I placed my order at the end of July I specifically told my CA that I want a German build, not SA (because of how long an SA build would take)..and he made it happen, so I'm wondering if you all had that option as well?... I cannot imagine myself waiting as long as you have, damn thats crazy! more power to you man!
You could have canceled your order, and reordered a german car and got it sooner
      09-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
kerz
Enlisted Member
Rep

For me at least in Nor Cal, every dealer I talked to had no allocation for months for a 335. When I finally found one who offered up a spot, even being in SA, I took it. I'm betting the long wait after production is roughly equal to the long wait to get into production had I tried to get a German one.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
nano10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

this is amazing to read and discouraging at the same time, i ordered an was told 8 to 10 weeks. i am on week 7 and am barely on my way to port of exit. if this takes as long as some of you have experienced than i am in for a long wait!!!
      09-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
kerz
Enlisted Member
Rep

So far, my boat and car have seen all of the African West coast, Spain, Portugal, and are on the way to France, Belgium, and Germany. Following all of that, it will finally be on the way to Long Beach.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
I didn't even know they had SA builds here. I just ordered it from the dealer assuming it was coming from Germany. To my dismay, it's a SA build. I need to take delivery before December otherwise my USAA discount is void.

Ordered placed 9/20/12
Planned for production 41st week
However, completed production on 40th week (10/6/12)
Current status "Released to Carrier"
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
DigitalMPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3C xDrive

Dark, I am in the same situation they ordered a South African build and I need it here before year end for incentives...

They are in the process of trying to trade for a German build. I honestly don't care who makes it as long as its here. The other area of concern is the SA build is scheduled to be done the first week of November and I wonder if that leaves enough time for it to arrive
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMPower View Post
Dark, I am in the same situation they ordered a South African build and I need it here before year end for incentives...

They are in the process of trying to trade for a German build. I honestly don't care who makes it as long as its here. The other area of concern is the SA build is scheduled to be done the first week of November and I wonder if that leaves enough time for it to arrive
I'd be worried about a November Build. They build it in less than a week but the problem is sitting at the port to wait for a ship. My CA told me the last SA car took 50+ days on the sea!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
DigitalMPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3C xDrive

Yes they are trying to trade it but I have no idea if they will be successful or not...

I honestly think it is rolling the dice if it is here or not, I have a good CA so he is doing all that he can.

So many of the 335i are being built in SA now bc the N20 engine is being produced in Germany. I hope I can get one quick and have it on its way from Germany by early November...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMPower View Post
According to my CA, you only need to have a VIN, and "pay for" the car before Dec 31st. Doesn't matter if it arrives in January.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
nano10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

my car finished production and was at port on 9/24 at SA. I finally got on a boat last Thursday 10/11. now it is just a waiting game for arrival. I don't now what boat i am on and when i can expect my arrival. i emailed my SA on Friday and waiting to hear back. will keep you all updated. . .
      10-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
I didn't even know they had SA builds here. I just ordered it from the dealer assuming it was coming from Germany. To my dismay, it's a SA build. I need to take delivery before December otherwise my USAA discount is void.

Ordered placed 9/20/12
Planned for production 41st week
However, completed production on 40th week (10/6/12)
Current status "Released to Carrier"
Per my Fleet manager here in San Diego, all builds currently destined for the west coast are all SA builds. I ordered last Thursday, got a production number but still haven't seen it go into production. How long does it take from getting a production number to the actual production date? I know it's takes roughly 24 hours for a complete build which would be roughly three days. Waiting..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
I know it's takes roughly 24 hours for a complete build which would be roughly three days.
...???
As in 3 days to show a confirmed production week?
      10-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #21
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
...???
As in 3 days to show a confirmed production week?
No, three days once it goes into production. I was told my car would go into production this week. After all. it is only Tuesday. I didn't get a production number until Thursday afternoon. I'm hoping to get an email the next 2 or three days to tell me it's in production. Hopefully...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #22
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i modern line

I just turned down ordering because the dealer said it would be coming from SA, and expect late January or February delivery.

At least they were up front (I thought maybe they were exaggerating). We found a close match in the state for transfer instead.
Appreciate 0