F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > New Break-in Guidelines for M4?
Studio RSR

01-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #45
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeh View Post
Not an NA engine, its more similar the the N54/55 which has no break in period.

Soooo I'm assuming let loose!
I'm pretty sure my N54 had a break in period. 1200 miles if I recall correctly.
Sure did according to the manufacturer.
      01-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #46
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

they tell you 1200miles but its about safety & insurance not reliability & many HPF engines favor hard break in for creating a better seal but this is done in the first few minutes not over 1000s of miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #47
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
they tell you 1200miles but its about safety & insurance not reliability & many HPF engines favor hard break in for creating a better seal but this is done in the first few minutes not over 1000s of miles.
The first part of your post makes no sense at all. Please explain how adding a 1200 mile break-in period is about safety and a better insurance risk and then please explain how the insurance companies in Kansas convince BMW to go along worldwide.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #48
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Instructions for driving car after taking delivery:

1) Let all fluids (including oil) reach normal/safe operating temperature.

2) Bury gas pedal through the floor.

3) Rinse car as needed.

4) Repeat.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #49
mpower3330
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Driving from Dallas back to SF when the new M3 comes in. 1,700 miles

1. How bad is it to drive the full 1,700 and then have the service done?
2. I'm leaning towards stopping in Phoenix (1,100 miles from dallas), having the service done, then finishing the remaining 600 miles
3. Is this drive horrendous for the car? Lot of articles out there say to no keep the speed constant during the break-in period. Don't know how can manage to do that when I'm driving for 1,700 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #50
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Short answer.......no! Drive it and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #51
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Instructions for driving car after taking delivery:

1) Let all fluids (including oil) reach normal/safe operating temperature.

2) Bury gas pedal through the floor.

3) Rinse car as needed.

4) Repeat.
And why do you think BMW suggests a 1200 mile break-in?

Pat
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #52
Desmond Is My Constant
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3, 997, X5

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #53
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
And why do you think BMW suggests a 1200 mile break-in?

Pat
Because they can.

Let me ask you this:

How many average buyers (i.e., the vast majority of buyers that do not frequent forums such as this) do you think hunt through the manual to find the break-in procedure?

When I ask any non-enthusiast friend or family member about their car's break-in period procedure, I receive a truly puzzled look from them.

Hell, they don't even know that you are supposed to allow a car's fluids (oil, coolant, etc.) to reach proper temperature before thrashing the car.

If the break-in procedure was really that important in this day and age, there would be an epidemic of failed cars across the country (check that, the world), irrespective of manufacturer.

Caveat: Engine oil changes and differential fluid changes are extremely important. With M and AMG cars, for example, the Service Advisor usually makes it a point to let the buyer know about these essential service requirements.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #54
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Because they can.

Let me ask you this:

How many average buyers (i.e., the vast majority of buyers that do not frequent forums such as this) do you think hunt through the manual to find the break-in procedure?

When I ask any non-enthusiast friend or family member about their car's break-in period procedure, I receive a truly puzzled look from them.

Hell, they don't even know that you are supposed to allow a car's fluids (oil, coolant, etc.) to reach proper temperature before thrashing the car.

If the break-in procedure was really that important in this day and age, there would be an epidemic of failed cars across the country (check that, the world), irrespective of manufacturer.

Caveat: Engine oil changes and differential fluid changes are extremely important. With M and AMG cars, for example, the Service Advisor usually makes it a point to let the buyer know about these essential service requirements.
+ 1000 you said it perfectly. My last two cars I didn't take it easy (e90 modded with jb4 after 600 miles or so and 550i). No problems with engine what so ever after 30k miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #55
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Deal View Post
+ 1000 you said it perfectly. My last two cars I didn't take it easy (e90 modded with jb4 after 600 miles or so and 550i). No problems with engine what so ever after 30k miles.
Thanks! And I've found my experiences to be the same. I'll ensure that the car is thoroughly and properly warmed up and then I'll drive it as I normally would. I don't redline the motor all day during the first 1,200 miles but I don't baby it either. I haven't had any oil burners or anything strange/problematic after implementing this approach.

All that said, for those that *do* like to follow the break-in procedure, there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing to do so.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #56
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! And I've found my experiences to be the same. I'll ensure that the car is thoroughly and properly warmed up and then I'll drive it as I normally would. I don't redline the motor all day during the first 1,200 miles but I don't baby it either. I haven't had any oil burners or anything strange/problematic after implementing this approach.

All that said, for those that *do* like to follow the break-in procedure, there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing to do so.
Exactly, the DS on the highway keeps the RPM at one gear too long so change settings when cruising every 5 minutes or so. Use the paddles to go to a higher gear etc.. As long as you let the car warm up and then don't redline it in every gear it will be fine, once again it's common sense
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #57
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because they can.

Let me ask you this:

You sound like every other guy on this list who "knows" the truth, like it was somehow gifted to you and nobody else. Why wouldn't you think M3 buyers, non-typical car buyers, wouldn't all know the break-in period? And what data do you have that shows the vast majority of people don't follow any sort of break-in? Or is that just your intuition? I bet most people drive their entire lives in a manner which follows the break-in procedure.

And arguing that it's there purely for arbitrary reasons is completely non-sensical. It's not there for no reason. It might be there for an incorrect reason, though I highly doubt that, but the break-in restriction isn't there for no reason.

Pat

Last edited by catpat8000; 01-23-2014 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #58
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's because the break-in isn't for the engine.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #59
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's because the break-in isn't for the engine.

Pat
Pat, I know the entire cars moving parts also need to adequately warm up but driving like a grandma with new engines and cars is all a myth and I don't buy it. I have driven my cars from the start with a heavy foot work 0 issues what's ever after 40k miles... Also you need to add "only" to the end of your sentence...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #60
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pat, I know the entire cars moving parts also need to adequately warm up but driving like a grandma with new engines and cars is all a myth and I don't buy it. I have driven my cars from the start with a heavy foot work 0 issues what's ever after 40k miles... Also you need to add "only" to the end of your sentence...
Just to be clear, I am not saying if you don't break-in your car, you'll have problems. All I am saying is that BMW has a break-in rule for a reason and that reason isn't:

- for "safety and insurance reasons"
- for no reason

The reason probably is to protect themselves from extra warranty claims.

Maybe their differential failure rate is 10% higher than it otherwise would be if there was no break-in. How would you ever determine that by looking at just one car? You couldn't. So arguing that you've never seen a problem doesn't really enter into the discussion.

The diff failure rate example is just an example by the way, I'm not saying that's true either.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #61
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
You sound like every other guy on this list who "knows" the truth, like it was somehow gifted to you and nobody else. [b]Why wouldn't you think M3 buyers, non-typical car buyers, wouldn't all know the break-in period? And what data do you have that shows the vast majority of people don't follow any sort of break-in? Or is that just your intuition? I bet most people drive their entire lives in a manner which follows the break-in procedure.
Look at it this way.....

....for the average BMW car buyer (..and I'll use them specifically since we are on a BMW forum), they are fairly ill-informed unless they are on forums. That's the truth. Hell, there are people who work in BMW dealerships that don't know much, and forum members are massively more informed than they are. I don't have any data that I can present to you aside from my anecdotal evidence (..i.e...conversations with the casual BMW driver, be it in passing or when I pull them over on the freeway), but it's easy to ascertain who's in the know and who isn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #62
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Look at it this way.....

....for the average BMW car buyer (..and I'll use them specifically since we are on a BMW forum), they are fairly ill-informed unless they are on forums. That's the truth. Hell, there are people who work in BMW dealerships that don't know much, and forum members are massively more informed than they are. I don't have any data that I can present to you aside from my anecdotal evidence (..i.e...conversations with the casual BMW driver, be it in passing or when I pull them over on the freeway), but it's easy to ascertain who's in the know and who isn't.
Yes but by the same token, the average driver doesn't drive their car very hard. One way to look at it is that most drivers always drive as though they are always breaking in their car - no full throttle, no high speeds, no extreme stuff.

So there's that. But it's also true that most of the cars have much less power than M cars so the various driveline components are not only driven with less vigor, but they also undergo much less stress even if driven hard.

i.e. there are no 8000 rpm 328s.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #63
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Yes but by the same token, the average driver doesn't drive their car very hard. One way to look at it is that most drivers always drive as though they are always breaking in their car - no full throttle, no high speeds, no extreme stuff.

So there's that. But it's also true that most of the cars have much less power than M cars so the various driveline components are not only driven with less vigor, but they also undergo much less stress even if driven hard.

i.e. there are no 8000 rpm 328s.

Pat
Neither does the average ///M driver, nor Porsche owner, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #64
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Neither does the average ///M driver, nor Porsche owner, etc.
I no longer know what point you are making.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #65
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I bet most people drive their entire lives in a manner which follows the break-in procedure.

Pat
I think you're giving the average driver way more credit than they deserve.

Tomorrow, I'll ask every one of my female co-workers (no offense ladies) what the break-in procedure for their car is. I'll also ask them about the proper operating temperatures for the fluids in the car as well.

I'll let you know what kind of answers I get. Sure, the sample size won't be great but I think you're smart enough to know where I'm going with this.

In all seriousness, car manufacturers include a break-in procedure for a variety of reasons.

For example, because BMW offers both a 4 year/50k mile warranty and free maintenance, they want to pay out as little as possible with respect to each new vehicle that is either bought or leased.

Even if failing to recommend a break-in procedure only marginally increases the probability of the car needing some sort of warranty work or additional maintenance, however trivial, BMW would still want to avoid that risk. Thus, they include the break-in procedure in the manual because the cost to include it is miniscule.

Furthermore, liability concerns also factor into the break-in procedure discussion. If you don't think legal liability factors into the equation, you're crazy. Just look at the manual. And look at all the stickers on your windshield and on the sun visors. There are warnings and disclaimers galore.

A manufacturer doesn't want to have to deal with any of the consequences or repercussions of someone wrecking his new M3 after going WOT to 155 the first day of ownership. It's bad press, even if there isn't any legal liability for some reason.

A good way to avoid any legal liability would be to say: "Hey, we included a very thorough break-in procedure that instructed moderate use of the vehicle for the first 1,200 miles."

Encouraging you to stay below 100 mph and advising you to keep the engine speed below 4,500 rpm are ways to ensure that you are driving the car in relatively responsible manner as you slowly get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #66
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Just had a conversation with a race car driver recently about this who competes in M Cars and BMW. he told me with the exception of first 50 miles to ensure nothing is loose or making funny sounds ,that should drive the cars like you would normally drive them all the time. He has never followed a break in period for over 10 M cars which have mostly been raced and driven to extremes without ever having an issue. He only suggests changing your oil after first 200 miles when most of the initial residue will be in the oil. Sounds legit to me!