F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Poll: BSW or MPE, what would you choose?
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: BSW or MPE
BSW 6 35.29%
MPE 11 64.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

08-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Poll: BSW or MPE, what would you choose?

So I have promised myself that every quarter I will add something from the mperformance menu or any other item the car needs. 4th quarter will be winter or all season tires and the wheels to go with that. 1st Qtr of 14 will be replacements for the summers that I have, if they are worn out by then. This brings me to 3rd quarter 2013. My choices are BSW speakers or MPE. It seems the price for both of these with install is about the same.

MPE:
After having test drove the new IS350 and ATS 3.6, I am not even sure why the 335i was beat by these two at one stage or another (that's a whole different thread, I know). Our stock exhaust note is multi dimensional, it sounds great from the moment you turn on the car, accelerate, decelerate and when cruising. You can't say the same for those two, its a one dimensional sound. The V6 on both is gutless and the sweet inline 6 sounds more refined and better. If I was the decider, I would have let the 335i win on exhaust note alone. If wishes were horses right

It comes as no surprise that I want to make the exhaust note even much better with the MPE, that's why its on the list.

Akra would be ideal but I have decided to set a max of $1,500 per quarter for this, Akra and GT Haus are painfully out of my reach

BSW:
On my test drive for the IS350, it was undeniable that their standard audio system is multiple times better than my standard F30 system.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
or0b0to
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Something old and moldy

I've been a musician for most of my life, and an audiophile... so... Who cares what the exhaust sounds like if you're rocking tunes in the cabin!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by or0b0to
I've been a musician for most of my life, and an audiophile... so... Who cares what the exhaust sounds like if you're rocking tunes in the cabin!
The two seem to be mutually exclusive right? You can either turn off the radio and enjoy the exhaust note or turn on the radio and forget about the exhaust

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 Glacier Silver

Nuttin sweeter than a good exhaust note. Guess that's why my other ride is a Ducati.

2017 F48 xDrive Glacier Silver
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

I vote BSW.

All things being equal, I come down on the side of performance over audio in terms of making investments in my car. That said, I just am not convinced there is a sizable-enough performance improvement to justify cost of MPE, particularly at retail price.

I'm sure those who have invested in the MPE will disagree!

But if all you're really looking to do is enhance exhaust note, seems like there are far less expensive solutions than MPE.

With BSW, you definitely get a sizable, noticeable difference. More bang for your buck.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazzo View Post
Nuttin sweeter than a good exhaust note. Guess that's why my other ride is a Ducati.
This is the camp I am slightly leaning towards

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitriol View Post
I vote BSW.

With BSW, you definitely get a sizable, noticeable difference. More bang for your buck.
+1

From a bang for your buck perspective I think you are absolutely right.

The stock exhaust is a messy set up though. It needs constant cleaning to retain the chrome look. I think the MPE will look neater since its thinner.

However I have this yearning that the base stock could add a little more flavor, and I think the MPE will satisfy this. Bear in mind MPE also adds a few horses, its arguable how many but maybe 5

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
The two seem to be mutually exclusive right? You can either turn off the radio and enjoy the exhaust note or turn on the radio and forget about the exhaust
Exactly. From my CLS63 AMG, I had a Harmon Kardon setup, which was great. But, I used it rarely because I always wanted to hear the sweet soundtrack of the AMG exhaust. I would go for exhaust, and you can do stereo later
      08-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
vitriol
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Quote:
This is the camp I am slightly leaning towards

+1

From a bang for your buck perspective I think you are absolutely right.

The stock exhaust is a messy set up though. It needs constant cleaning to retain the chrome look. I think the MPE will look neater since its thinner.

However I have this yearning that the base stock could add a little more flavor, and I think the MPE will satisfy this. Bear in mind MPE also adds a few horses, its arguable how many but maybe 5
Totally get that. Personally I would take the $1500 and invest in 4" black exhaust tips (which will solve the need to keep them clean AND will enhance exhaust burble), buy the speakers, and have money left over. Or use the remainder to further mod stock exhaust to enhance sound. I just don't think a 5hp gain is worth the expense.

But there are two key points here:
1) You can't go wrong with either of these upgrades
2) I automatically have respect for anyone with the MSE -- even though it's not for me -- since it's a tasteful and subtle upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

The MPE will be covered under BMW warranty should anything happen to it, meanwhile the audio is a bit complex in these cars(amps and whatnot) so you lose some protection with the aftermarket nature of the BSW products.

I find the stereo adequate enough(ignore my Integral Audio setup of $5k-as it was free) but the exhaust really wakes things up.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
Exactly. From my CLS63 AMG, I had a Harmon Kardon setup, which was great. But, I used it rarely because I always wanted to hear the sweet soundtrack of the AMG exhaust. I would go for exhaust, and you can do stereo later
Thanks, honestly in an AMG it would be tough not to listen to that 6.3l V8, I can't fault you for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitriol View Post
Totally get that. Personally I would take the $1500 and invest in 4" black exhaust tips (which will solve the need to keep them clean AND will enhance exhaust burble), buy the speakers, and have money left over. Or use the remainder to further mod stock exhaust to enhance sound. I just don't think a 5hp gain is worth the expense.

But there are two key points here:
1) You can't go wrong with either of these upgrades
2) I automatically have respect for anyone with the MSE -- even though it's not for me -- since it's a tasteful and subtle upgrade.
You are making this tough for me now, however you do raise some good points. Both will cost me around $1,200. I can do the install of the BSW myself and that will cost about $850 but I will probably mess up the whole thing so its better to get it professionally done.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
The MPE will be covered under BMW warranty should anything happen to it, meanwhile the audio is a bit complex in these cars(amps and whatnot) so you lose some protection with the aftermarket nature of the BSW products.

I find the stereo adequate enough(ignore my Integral Audio setup of $5k-as it was free) but the exhaust really wakes things up.
The "wake things up" part is what I am looking for.

BSW stage 1 is just the speakers that are replaced nothing else changes. I am hoping this won't impact the car's warranty, other than the speakers.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

The speakers by themselves will probably not make the kind of difference you want. A High End Amp has better control over even cheaper speakers. While you always risks blowing speakers, a higher end amp with room to spare does not go into clipping, which is what really destroys the speakers. I'd buy better amps before I changed speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich
The speakers by themselves will probably not make the kind of difference you want. A High End Amp has better control over even cheaper speakers. While you always risks blowing speakers, a higher end amp with room to spare does not go into clipping, which is what really destroys the speakers. I'd buy better amps before I changed speakers.
It's food for thought, I have heard good things about the BSW stage one set up though .

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

This is a no brainer, especially in NY. Get the MPE and by the time the cool weather comes, the exhaust will be broken in.

It is so hot down here I can't even open my windows to enjoy the note.
      08-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

Any thoughts on the alpine system
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Do yourself a favor and sit in a F30 335 with an aftermarket exhaust. These youtube videos give you an idea of the tonal qualities, but hearing it in person will blow you away with the volume. Not to mention a better connection to your car. I liken it to listening to your favorite band live in a small night club with the amps set to 11.

The speakers OTOH - let's be honest, the car is not an optimal setting to listen to music, and once you improve this, then you have to improve that, then you have to dynamat the door panel, rear deck etc. Plus you bought the car, so no worries about losing equity on the purchase, having to swap out blah blah

You can put a fantastic stereo on an Accord, while you can never make that car sound like your N55 uncorked. I can also say that with the exhaust your windows will generally be down and your stereo will be off You probably know what I'd go with...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

If you listen to drob, JV and the other enthusiasts you will end up with a car with 15000 horsepower, an exhaust that sounds like an orchestra and has a suspension that can handle a ride on the moon

I hear you enthusiasts, I think I am 90% on the side of the enthusiasts on this one. Trust me I really wanted to go all out on the exhaust, do it right with the Akra set up but I have limited resources at this stage.

Would it be true to say Akra is the Rolls Royce of exhaust systems available to the F30?

It's MPE then, by a wide margin. I will do the sound system last after winter wheels and tires.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Go listen to the exhaust in person, you'll know within 5 seconds which one to do...

But then again, I wouldn't "settle" on a 1.5k exhaust if it isn't truly what you want. Poke around and see if you can temporarily get any more volume from a cheap swap. I did this with a xpipe replacement of my rear resonator and am really happy with the result (250 installed). Eventually, I'll have a proper milltek res catback, but this more than holds me over. Also, these exhaust mods are not for HP on a FI engine, really just for volume and it really changes the driving fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
Go listen to the exhaust in person, you'll know within 5 seconds which one to do...

But then again, I wouldn't "settle" on a 1.5k exhaust if it isn't truly what you want. Poke around and see if you can temporarily get any more volume from a cheap swap. I did this with a xpipe replacement of my rear resonator and am really happy with the result (250 installed). Eventually, I'll have a proper milltek res catback, but this more than holds me over. Also, these exhaust mods are not for HP on a FI engine, really just for volume and it really changes the driving fun!
I have to take baby steps man. Be gentle

It's like I am learning to swim and I am sticking to the shallow end. That's why I am hanging to the warranty.

Remember I am the guy who used to want to keep it all stock but I am now starting to talk about the Akra exhaust, baby steps for now. one day I will be swimming with the big boys, one day

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Bingo.

I hope the exhaust tips on my C63 will be as easy to clean as the MPE tips.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34
Quote:
Bingo.

I hope the exhaust tips on my C63 will be as easy to clean as the MPE tips.
Yeah those stock chrome exhaust tips suck man.

When does your C63 come in, congrats

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #22
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have to take baby steps man. Be gentle

It's like I am learning to swim and I am sticking to the shallow end. That's why I am hanging to the warranty.

Remember I am the guy who used to want to keep it all stock but I am now starting to talk about the Akra exhaust, baby steps for now. one day I will be swimming with the big boys, one day
Haha man, no worries, take things in stride and let the car start to reflect your own personality. But there's no substitute for seeing/hearing/driving these setups in person.

You also have to keep in mind that certain exhausts could take things too far...heh...it's almost like now you're wearing a backwards baseball cap *all the time*. Any of us can pull that off at the ballpark, but now you need to wear it to work, your kids parent-teacher conferences, whatever your place of worship...lol...you get the idea. Moral is - find someone local and hear it for yourself
Appreciate 0