F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > SIB/TSB: BMW will reprogram Auto Start-Stop to default to last user mode
proTUNING Freaks

08-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #23
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120
I'm not sure why you find my comment so funny. It wasn't meant as a joke.
I find it hilarious. With the paranoia and whatnot.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #24
utnuc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 A4

I wonder if the performance center takes special requests like this...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #26
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt127 View Post
Now they just need to do the same for Sport mode...
That's not how sport mode works? Jesus, this car is really just a pile of diluted dog poo poo. I better order more replacement parts for my ZHP.
      08-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Nope. I asked yesterday they said any type of reprograming takes 4-5 hours. You will be sporting one of their loaners in the mean time.
The Joy of Bureaucracy!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #28
///MPower
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Great news. Good move by BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #29
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25
I've turned it off once in bumper to bumper traffic.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to permanently code it off.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #30
jmatero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Garage List
It's unfortunate that BMW is using the starter to re-start the motor with auto start/stop. The Mercedes-Benz approach for their non-hybrids is non-intrusive and you'd never care about turning it "off" as a feature. When the motor shuts down in the Benz, the stroke on one cylinder intentionally stops full compression. To restart, they just fire the plug and it smoothly spins back up. None of the CRANK-CRANK-SHUDDER in the BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #31
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero
It's unfortunate that BMW is using the starter to re-start the motor with auto start/stop. The Mercedes-Benz approach for their non-hybrids is non-intrusive and you'd never care about turning it "off" as a feature. When the motor shuts down in the Benz, the stroke on one cylinder intentionally stops full compression. To restart, they just fire the plug and it smoothly spins back up. None of the CRANK-CRANK-SHUDDER in the BMWs.
Wow that seems to make more sense. I'm not a fan of BMWs auto start/stop either.
      08-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #32
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
This is a good point.

I personally do not like the feature, I think it's annoying. I have retrofitted it to my 2008 M3 just for kicks, but keep it off all the time. It also remembers my last setting - this is a coding option located in the IHKA unit called "MSA_MEMORY"

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #33
wai2sexy
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 335i; '17 x5

Quote:
do you have a link for where you got this information from? this is the first time i've heard of MB using this tech. i did read an article about mazda trying to do something like this, but i don't think they ever implemented start-stop in any USA cars. here's a wikipedia article about it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-start_system). they don't go into any detail about MB specific implementations.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #34
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

I don't understand why they can't do the same for all features in the car. If I get out of the car and the radio screen is on 'menu' then when I get back in it should be on 'menu' when I fire it up. Same with the fogs.
      08-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #35
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
I don't understand why they can't do the same for all features in the car. If I get out of the car and the radio screen is on 'menu' then when I get back in it should be on 'menu' when I fire it up. Same with the fogs.
Agreed.

What's it to them? I want my car to be in Sport mode, A.S.S. off, etc. by default

I've also noticed that the A/C will automatically come back on, even if it was off at the time of turning the car off.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #36
Aquillar
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Can anyone help me understand what the big problem is with this being on by default? If your daily drive involves getting stuck in traffic then I somewhat understand, but it seems like most people turn if off all the time because they are just paranoid for some reason.

Take a number
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #37
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
My car is due this week. I sent my CA a request to have this coding done before they deliver the car. It would be awesome if sport could be set to "default" and button press back to comfort if desired.
Took delivery of our car Thursday & mentioned this, but they said we'd need to bring it back to have the coding done (maybe they just didn't have time - hopefully you can have this done before delivery...). Got an appt for tomorrow, said 2-3 hrs.

I agree, now we need it for the DDC button as well. Read all the debates about both buttons but for me it simply comes down to this: the car should remember all settings I (we) want - it should do what we say, not what it thinks is best for us/the world/whatever.

Our CA told us that new cars from the factory will at some point start to arrive this way - in other words, it should become standard coding. No exact timeframe but interested to see if someone takes delivery and has this coding w/out asking for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #38
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillar View Post
Can anyone help me understand what the big problem is with this being on by default? If your daily drive involves getting stuck in traffic then I somewhat understand, but it seems like most people turn if off all the time because they are just paranoid for some reason.
It's annoying, I want it to be off all the time and I'd rather not have to push the button every time I get in the car. Why was it so hard for BMW to just give us this choice? If you find use in the feature than you can use it to your heart's content.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
jmatero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Garage List
The biggest "complaint" with auto stop/start in BMW's is that it has to crank the motor with the starter when you lift your foot off the brake. And it's pretty "violent" compared to auto stop/start people have experienced in hybrids which use the electric motor to easily restart the motor.

From the MB website:

The engine goes off when the vehicle is stationary and back on again when the brake is released – the ECO start/stop system operates virtually unnoticed by the driver. This is all thanks to complex control functions which run in the background to ensure efficiency, comfort and safety.
How the ECO start/stop system works in detail: as a general principle, the engine is switched off every time the vehicle comes to a standstill (auto-stop function. Restarting the engine (auto-starting function) takes place almost imperceptibly; and moving off without any noticeable time lag compared to a stationary vehicle with its engine running. This rapid action is attributable to two special features: a crankshaft Hall sensor which is able to identify the rotational direction of the crankshaft enables the engine control unit to identify the cylinder in which the piston is ideally positioned for starting. The fuel is injected into this cylinder first, thereby speeding up the starting process. An additional electric transmission oil pump supplies the clutches of the automatic transmission with oil pressure prior to starting, so as to enable a swift resumption of the journey after direct starting of the combustion engine via firing of the spark plug on the ideally positioned cylinder. The starter motor engages briefly, imperceptibly, to complete the auto-start function. The starter motor (starter) has also undergone thorough modification: it is now designed to cope with eight times as many starting procedures, ensuring that it will last a car's lifetime in continuous urban driving involving frequent auto-starting. In addition, the on-board electrical system is supported by a second battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #40
Aquillar
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
It's annoying
Explain how? It isn't intrusive. How does it interfere with your regular driving when you do leave it on?

Take a number
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #41
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

again, another unncessary techonology/tool to impress EPA and depress all our owners
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #42
alterbrett
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
It's annoying
Explain how? It isn't intrusive. How does it interfere with your regular driving when you do leave it on?
I agree. It requires you to do nothing. It is trying to save you money. It takes milliseconds to push the button if you want to turn it off. I'm glad they are giving people the option to code it differently but I think I'll leave my soon to be delivered car as is. Plus my car is a 2013. I assume it will have the Gen 2 system in it. Which the press release leads me to believe has been improved in some way?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #43
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
The biggest "complaint" with auto stop/start in BMW's is that it has to crank the motor with the starter when you lift your foot off the brake. And it's pretty "violent" compared to auto stop/start people have experienced in hybrids which use the electric motor to easily restart the motor.

From the MB website:

The engine goes off when the vehicle is stationary and back on again when the brake is released – the ECO start/stop system operates virtually unnoticed by the driver. This is all thanks to complex control functions which run in the background to ensure efficiency, comfort and safety.
How the ECO start/stop system works in detail: as a general principle, the engine is switched off every time the vehicle comes to a standstill (auto-stop function. Restarting the engine (auto-starting function) takes place almost imperceptibly; and moving off without any noticeable time lag compared to a stationary vehicle with its engine running. This rapid action is attributable to two special features: a crankshaft Hall sensor which is able to identify the rotational direction of the crankshaft enables the engine control unit to identify the cylinder in which the piston is ideally positioned for starting. The fuel is injected into this cylinder first, thereby speeding up the starting process. An additional electric transmission oil pump supplies the clutches of the automatic transmission with oil pressure prior to starting, so as to enable a swift resumption of the journey after direct starting of the combustion engine via firing of the spark plug on the ideally positioned cylinder. The starter motor engages briefly, imperceptibly, to complete the auto-start function. The starter motor (starter) has also undergone thorough modification: it is now designed to cope with eight times as many starting procedures, ensuring that it will last a car's lifetime in continuous urban driving involving frequent auto-starting. In addition, the on-board electrical system is supported by a second battery.
Wow.
      08-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #44
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
I've turned it off once in bumper to bumper traffic.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to permanently code it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterbrett View Post
I agree. It requires you to do nothing. It is trying to save you money. It takes milliseconds to push the button if you want to turn it off. I'm glad they are giving people the option to code it differently but I think I'll leave my soon to be delivered car as is. Plus my car is a 2013. I assume it will have the Gen 2 system in it. Which the press release leads me to believe has been improved in some way?

We just recently took delivery of a 2013 X2 28i with the new N20 engine; also equipped with ASS (not sure on the generation). The problem I have with ASS is three fold:

1) If you drive around town where there are a lot of stop signs, you end up experiencing a whole lot of stop-start action. At a stop sign, you only stop briefly. If you're obeying the law, you come to a complete stop, which means you must wait for the car to "settle". If you combine this with taking just a moment to check for oncoming traffic in both directions, you end up with a very brief stop-start cycle that is very apparent from the passenger area (the whole car shudders). My father insisted that something was wrong with our brand new car after experiencing it only one time.

2) Even if the first matter is simply an annoyance, I have now experienced more than one occasion where the engine failed to start in these abrupt engagements. This left the car in D, unable to restart until you follow a specific procedure: apply brake, engage P, press start button. This procedure seems simple, but when you're sitting in traffic trying to figure out why your car isn't moving when you press the gas pedal, it's incredibly frustrating.

3) The stop-start procedure is disruptive to the passengers in our X3 with the 8-speed auto transmission. When the engine disengages, I can feel the car settle back. When it restarts (often triggered while I'm still stopped because of climate control needs), I can feel the car lunge forward. It's unsettling and elicits strange looks from the people around me at the signal light. Call me self-conscious, but I really don't want people staring at me at signal lights because my car keeps turning on and off.

4 [bonus round]) As the car is currently configured, I have to remember to turn off the ASS each time I start the car. Yes, this only takes a moment, but it needlessly complicates the start-up procedure in a car where you're already managing a number of other things like dismissing the iDrive disclaimer, changing the backup camera mode, or engaging EcoPro (which re-enables ASS, btw).

I really like EcoPro mode. It remaps the throttle to encourage less aggressive acceleration, and shows a nice little gauge that indicates throttle position. I improved my per-tank average fuel economy by 3 MPG using these features without ASS. Auto-stop-start technology might be the future, but BMW just hasn't found the right balance. Until they do, I'd like the option to simply turn it off and have it stay that way until I turn it back on explicitly. It's the singular thing about our new X3 that I really dislike. Otherwise, I absolutely love the car and engine.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0