F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Petrol mowers - advice
ARMA SPEED

06-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #23
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
Hayter are very good. Arguably better than Honda, but slightly more pricy.

I’ve just restored and 1970’s Suffolk Punch. Fantastic cutter, but high maintenance!
I've had a Hayter for twenty years and apart from replacing the spark plug, oil and air filter every few years, it's been maintenance and problem free. Starts first time every time, even after winter storage
Our local park keepers use them and I followed their recommendation. The engine in mine is a Briggs & Stratton - don't know if they still spec them
      06-19-2018, 12:36 AM   #24
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Honda Izzy ! thats what work use on the mowing gang.

At home I have a Hayter from 2004 it now smokes lol worn out its heavy and im going to buy a Izzy next ,

I Also run a lawn tractor a ISEKI ,I really rate this but its a old SG15 from 1995 ,I bought it new ,but the new models are no where near as good much lighter and cheap
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:47 AM   #25
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

As mentioned service it yourself, it's nice n easy and a great learning experience if you have not done that type of stuff before.

Just remember do not leave petrol sitting around to much, the high ethanol types attract water.

Usually the bad starting in the spring is down to owners keeping half a can of petrol in garage over winter.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 02:24 AM   #26
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
Yes it's a piece of piss to service yourself, don't pay someone. Another happy Honda Izy owner here, I disagree about the self propelling being a must have and stripes are just the grass blades deflected in different directions so you need a roller on the back and not any kind of cutting action
Can you get a roller attachment for an Izy?
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 03:07 AM   #27
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

We've got two Honda Izys in the family (purchased this year), both are Self Propelled. It was £75 more for the self drive which I thought was a no brainer, so £375 in total. It makes it so much easier even if you have smallish garden. One of the Izys was to replace an old one which was around 10 year old, unfortunately we forgot and left petrol in it over a few years without using it and the carb went. They're a great mower though for the price and i'd highly recommend them.

The Izys have a flap on the back that acts kind of like a roller. If you cut the grass on a medium setting this will give you stripes but not as lasting as a roller.

My own mowers is a Hayter. That's around 30 years old and still going. If you we're looking at spending a bit more cash, have a look at the Hayter Harrier 41 Pro. This is what i'd replace mine with. When I was purchasing the Izys for family I was looking at these, they have a new Honda engine (Much better than the briggs and stratton) and a few nice design features on them.

Also regarding fuel I've purchased some Aspen 4 4 stroke fuel which is ethanol free. Towards the back end of the season i'm going to start using this to prevent any damage over the winter months. It's too expensive to run it all year round though.
Appreciate 1
Grant_72020.50
      06-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #28
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Can you get a roller attachment for an Izy?
I don't use one myself but I googled that for you and providing you have a 21-22" this will work as a universal fit

https://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalo...r-HA20601.html

For the best stripes you really want a cylinder mower like your grandad had such as

https://www.allett.co.uk/mowers/home...lassic-petrol/
Appreciate 1
Grant_72020.50
      06-19-2018, 05:16 AM   #29
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
As mentioned service it yourself, it's nice n easy and a great learning experience if you have not done that type of stuff before.

Just remember do not leave petrol sitting around to much, the high ethanol types attract water.

Usually the bad starting in the spring is down to owners keeping half a can of petrol in garage over winter.

This is a really good point. I use Honda fuel stabiliser to great effect in my lawn movers and Honda generator. It works really well and prevents gelling in the fuel system and carbs when kit is left standing....

http://www.justhonda.co.uk/honda-fuel-stabiliser.html
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #30
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Hi All,

Having just moved house it's become apparent that I'll need a petrol mower. Only ever had electric mowers, so looking for some advice. Heard lots of good things about Honda Izy's, and my budget is around £400.

What are your respective experiences and recommendations?
How big is the lawn ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #31
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Honda Izzy, don't buy anything else
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #32
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
This is a really good point. I use Honda fuel stabiliser to great effect in my lawn movers and Honda generator. It works really well and prevents gelling in the fuel system and carbs when kit is left standing....

http://www.justhonda.co.uk/honda-fuel-stabiliser.html
Just use Aspen fuel and you don't have this faff with fuel stabiliser
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #33
XK140
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SEAT Leon Cupra Carbon/GT86

I have a Mountfield sp53h bought from Screwfix 3 years ago...and they still sell the same mower today,£349.

It has the Honda engine, so always a first time start,self propelled with a good cutting width.

Compared to others I've had in the past I would highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #34
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks all - Honda Izy ordered (a HRG 466 SK - larger blade and self propelled).

Watsey
Rear garden is problem 2/3 of a tennis court in size.
Front garden is at least a tennis court in size, and has a large swale at the end.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #35
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque of the Devil View Post
Just use Aspen fuel and you don't have this faff with fuel stabiliser
Yeh I’ve looked at their stuff, nice product, shame about the price though! For my limited use I’ll risk inhaling a few pollutants now and then!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #36
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Thanks all - Honda Izy ordered (a HRG 466 SK - larger blade and self propelled).

Watsey
Rear garden is problem 2/3 of a tennis court in size.
Front garden is at least a tennis court in size, and has a large swale at the end.
I was wondering whether an electric unit with a high capacity battery would cope, but I think your lawns would be too big.

I've got an 80V electric and it's good, but probably hasn't got the Ah for what you'd need.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
shao_khan
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 330dxm & M2 lci

Honda here as well, 14 years old I think it is, just having to order a new deck for it but it been faultless.

I've also got a Suffolk Punch that my grandad used to do the grounds at the local cricket club with. Fab bit of kit, but really narrow cutting width and needs rebuilding probably twice a year as somethign usualy sticks / jams or blocks
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:57 AM   #38
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

You'll not go wrong with a Honda or Hayter.

I've got a Harrier 56 with a variable speed rear roller and electric start. ES is pointless and a waste of money, but at the time it was all I could find and the place price matched the non ES model.

Had it from new in 2012 and regularly service it myself. Usually just sharpen the blade, replace the plug, replace the oil, new air filter and grease all the moving parts. I've also had it apart to replace the drive belt and a new clutch cable - they really are very simple to maintain.

Would love to get a decent cylinder mower one day, but currently the Hayter and a Countax ride on do the job.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #39
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

UPDATE: Assembled and fired-up the Izy at the weekend. First time ever using a petrol 'mower...and I love it!!!

Also really pleased I went for the self-propelled version. Definitely makes things easier.
Appreciate 1