F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech - Amp Upgrade - HiFi Only (F3x / F8x)
Studio RSR

02-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #661
JDW_ATX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
Try adjusting the gain in the IO or you can send me your file and I can take a look at it for you.
Should have mentioned that I'm using the stock tune that came loaded on the amp straight from Bimmertech - I'll edit my original post.

I appreciate the offer to help. I'll export that tune and shoot it your way to take a look if you don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #662
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW_ATX View Post
I emailed the Bimmertech guys about the following problem and am currrently waiting on a response from their customer service team. In the meantime, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has experienced something similar.

I've got 428 with all OEM speakers.

The volume of the Bimmertech amp seems about the same as the OEM amp. Most people have said that the volume is considerably louder, so this doesn't seem quite right. I'm having to run the volume at 75%+ to get what I would consider a "loud" sound. Anything less, and you could pretty comfortably have a conversation over it.

On bass-heavy songs, the low end gets pretty buzzy and muddy. I've even been able to smell the subs, as if they're being overpowered. Is that normal? Based on all of the user reviews, I expected more tightness.

Anyone experience anything similar?
Everything depends on the tune. Our amp is definitely much more powerful than the stock one but the real difference in sound quality comes from the DSP.
We ship our amp with a tune that was created to give you the optimal sound quality with stock speakers. It does not mean the amp will be louder than the stock one, but it will definitely sound better.

If you want to make it louder change dip switches 2 and 4 to ON. If this is still not enough simply use the software to change the tune. The simplest way to do it is just increase the gain on all or selected channels. Keep in mind that you can damage your speakers if they give them too much power.

You can also try tunes from other forum members:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1182351
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #663
JDW_ATX
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Everything depends on the tune. Our amp is definitely much more powerful than the stock one but the real difference in sound quality comes from the DSP.
We ship our amp with a tune that was created to give you the optimal sound quality with stock speakers. It does not mean the amp will be louder than the stock one, but it will definitely sound better.

If you want to make it louder change dip switches 2 and 4 to ON. If this is still not enough simply use the software to change the tune. The simplest way to do it is just increase the gain on all or selected channels. Keep in mind that you can damage your speakers if they give them too much power.

You can also try tunes from other forum members:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1182351
Thanks for the tips. Dip switches 2 and 4 came switched to ON and I left them as-is. I'm hesitant to increase the gain any more, as the smell from the subs is already a little concerning.

The name of the tune that came loaded is M1-26012017-1302. Is that the correct one for a 428 with base HiFi?
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #664
Hyperlink
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
I have to say after hours and hours of tuning, I feel the same way. This amp does not seem to be any kind of upgrade ATM but am still hopeful here. Did you end up keeping the stock amp? (I'm so close to swapping it back)

Hoping someone can direct me towards a tune file that will bring the bass back (all the tunes seem to cut out the underseat subs, including the stock one) Sound is also VERY WEAK now out of the left side and each tune sounds similar. Please don't tell me to look at the tune because I have; it either starts distorting when playing with gains/levels or nothing. Maybe I got a faulty amp but it's not impressive with dips 2 and 4 on, which were set by default.
I agree with all of this. I keep messing with the tune to increase loudness a bit and lows a bit, but sound on the amp keeps cutting out, no luck. Very open to recomendations, solutions, or other products at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #665
GeertB
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran coupé

I have the bimmertech amp, and every change I make with gains, is definitely hearable. Sometimes not 1db, but certainly 2db difference. I did left the sound curves untouched.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #666
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlink View Post
I agree with all of this. I keep messing with the tune to increase loudness a bit and lows a bit, but sound on the amp keeps cutting out, no luck. Very open to recomendations, solutions, or other products at the moment.
I finally gave up on just tuning it so I pulled it all apart then reconnected before reinstalling the program on my Surface/PC. I don't think this amp was "pre-tuned" correctly and to boot, I had installed the wrong DSP version. (as an IT guy, I always download the latest, which was no good) After installing the correct software, I pushed the tune and it sounds much better now. Having said that, this amp isn't THAT much more powerful but is clearer and cleaner. I still find the lows to be lacking and ATM, the system is a bit boomy but not terrible like it was. ASD is also completely gone now using their redesigned harness so no more vroom vroom sounds in the cabin with this amp, LOL

Also, the DIP switches mentioned above were ON when I received my AMP as well. Maybe I got a used/returned one or they might have decided to change it.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #667
Whatsnext
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i/2016 Jaguar F Type R

I am on the fence on this and trying to find out the general consensus of if this is worth it or not? Everything with my audio is stock. The older I get the more picky I get with cost and ROI.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #668
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

I know quite a few of you have been waiting for this tune. F30 Bavsound speakers with Ghost woofers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...XFaWDZ5akZkV0k
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #669
JDW_ATX
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext View Post
I am on the fence on this and trying to find out the general consensus of if this is worth it or not? Everything with my audio is stock. The older I get the more picky I get with cost and ROI.
I'm really back and forth on this. Sometimes I think it sounds great - other times, not so much. It really varies from song to song and genre to genre. Some songs that sound great on other systems sound really bad through this amp.

Had I been able to listen to the amp ahead of time, would I still have purchased it? Probably not for the price. While it's most definitely an upgrade over the stock amp (not even a debate), I'm not sure that it's quite as incredible as it's made out to be. The clean headroom isn't nearly what I expected, and I still get some really muddy/woofy sounds on some songs.

All of that said, I'm probably 70% happy with it, but I'm going to keep experimenting with the tune and see if I can find something that gets me closer to 100% satisfied.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83722.00
      02-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #670
Bspec79
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 - 328i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
I know quite a few of you have been waiting for this tune. F30 Bavsound speakers with Ghost woofers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...XFaWDZ5akZkV0k
Ni Nelson, just confirming if this is for V3?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:15 AM   #671
anthonyd
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i xdrive

I have the bsw w/ ghost woofers and I've been using the 'BimmerTech_F30 BSW Jenhert underseat subs' tune for a year now. I like it much more than this new tune. I used it with V3 and found it strange that this one doesn't resemble the other bimmertech f30 tunes at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #672
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyd View Post
I have the bsw w/ ghost woofers and I've been using the 'BimmerTech_F30 BSW Jenhert underseat subs' tune for a year now. I like it much more than this new tune. I used it with V3 and found it strange that this one doesn't resemble the other bimmertech f30 tunes at all.
Can you upload just one or two of your favorite tunes? I too am only about 60-710% satisfied with this AMP and feel the tune can make a bit of a difference.

EDIT: Scratch that; I don't have the ghost subs so it's useless
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #673
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW_ATX View Post
I'm really back and forth on this. Sometimes I think it sounds great - other times, not so much. It really varies from song to song and genre to genre. Some songs that sound great on other systems sound really bad through this amp.

Had I been able to listen to the amp ahead of time, would I still have purchased it? Probably not for the price. While it's most definitely an upgrade over the stock amp (not even a debate), I'm not sure that it's quite as incredible as it's made out to be. The clean headroom isn't nearly what I expected, and I still get some really muddy/woofy sounds on some songs.

All of that said, I'm probably 70% happy with it, but I'm going to keep experimenting with the tune and see if I can find something that gets me closer to 100% satisfied.
Same exact scenario, thanks for putting words into my mouth in a good way! It's truly a love/hate thing with this amp right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #674
Bimmer_pnoy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
I have to say after hours and hours of tuning, I feel the same way. This amp does not seem to be any kind of upgrade ATM but am still hopeful here. Did you end up keeping the stock amp? (I'm so close to swapping it back)

Hoping someone can direct me towards a tune file that will bring the bass back (all the tunes seem to cut out the underseat subs, including the stock one) Sound is also VERY WEAK now out of the left side and each tune sounds similar. Please don't tell me to look at the tune because I have; it either starts distorting when playing with gains/levels or nothing. Maybe I got a faulty amp but it's not impressive with dips 2 and 4 on, which were set by default.
My bimmertech amp keeps cutting out at a certain volume. Has anyone solve this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #675
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M sport

Right now I'm running with the Bimmertech amp and Morel speakers and tweeters and stock subs. The sound has been amazing but the bass has been lacking so I'm looking into buying a set of earthquakes sws-8x/i. I'm just not sure if I should be buying the 2 ohm or 4 ohm set? Does it matter with this amp?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #676
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod33084 View Post
Right now I'm running with the Bimmertech amp and Morel speakers and tweeters and stock subs. The sound has been amazing but the bass has been lacking so I'm looking into buying a set of earthquakes sws-8x/i. I'm just not sure if I should be buying the 2 ohm or 4 ohm set? Does it matter with this amp?
Check this......

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1070841
      05-01-2017, 06:18 AM   #677
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Quote:
Check this......

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1070841
Thank you for referring this link. I see that he went with the 2 ohm earthquakes with the Arc mini amp. I guess I just wasn't sure if it would be different using the Bimmertech amp. I do want the best sounding bass throughout the band with as little gaps as possible. Open to suggestions
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:44 AM   #678
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for referring this link. I see that he went with the 2 ohm earthquakes with the Arc mini amp. I guess I just wasn't sure if it would be different using the Bimmertech amp. I do want the best sounding bass throughout the band with as little gaps as possible. Open to suggestions
I am running Bimmertech only with Stock Hifi speakers. I bought the Earthquake Sound SWS-8Xi 8-inch Shallow Woofer System Under-the-Seat Subwoofer, 2-Ohm. I have been very happy with the response.
      05-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #679
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am running Bimmertech only with Stock Hifi speakers. I bought the Earthquake Sound SWS-8Xi 8-inch Shallow Woofer System Under-the-Seat Subwoofer, 2-Ohm. I have been very happy with the response.
Perfect! I'm sure they sound much better than the stock subs!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #680
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's decent. Nothing like previous sound systems in other vehicles...dual 12" completely amped up.
But with two very young children, dropping real $$ on a sound system is now a waste.
      05-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #681
jrod33084
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's decent. Nothing like previous sound systems in other vehicles...dual 12" completely amped up.
But with two very young children, dropping real $$ on a sound system is now a waste.
Oh I know what you mean. I use to have dual 12" also. That would be ideal but now that I'm older too I will need the trunk space. So going with some good underseat subwoofers will have to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #682
AG17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi Black Sportline

I Installed my Bimmertech amp last night and was somewhat happy with the results. I have OEM Hifi Speakers and subs. The loudness is increased as well as the clarity at higher volumes. The bass kicks harder which is very important to me. I was cruising around testing the sound and I got a burn-type smell in the car. I turned the volume down right away and the smell went away. Is this from too much power being put into the subs/speakers? I have not changed the tune at all I simply installed the new amp and went for a drive. Hope somebody here can help.

This is quite disappointing since I am looking for more bass from my subs. If they are producing a smell with the preloaded HiFi tune, I'm afraid they wont be able to handle more gain if I use the dsp for more bass.

Thanks for any help guys!
Appreciate 0